PDA

View Full Version : Wheel gun back ups vs semi-auto

tac40
3 April 2009, 22:01
I am curious if any of you have a preference for a back up gun-when the sh** hits the fan. I tend to go with the wheel guns. Or for those who prefer a semi-auto, what kind?

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/IMG_4356.jpg

zero7one
4 April 2009, 09:12
I previously had a G26, but traded it in for a S&W 442. Yes, I know that there are less rounds with the 442, but I wanted something that I could "pocket fire" without worrying about having the slide getting snagged on fabric. Plus with the 442, I can press it into the threat if I were to get into a knock-down drag-out fight on the ground without the slide going out of battery. My only dislike at this point for the 442 is how small the grip is. At least with the G26 I had magazine extenders on them so my pinky finger didn't feel left out. I do find myself carring the 442 A LOT more than I ever carried my G26. Maybe it's because of the gun, maybe it's because I have been getting my head in the game a lot more lately. Who knows? I rarely leave home without it.

tac40
4 April 2009, 10:06
For some reason, I run across CCW civilians and off duty LEO carrying a small revolver of some sort for personal defense. "Pocket pistol" is the tactical advantage. Maybe a little paranoia or "street smart" will save your 6 from harms way. In today's reality of a solo shooter who's lost his social rational etiquette, I rather have then have not and a"pocket pistol" will work when properly deployed. Of course, the semi-auto pistol is nice but you may not always want to carry it. Just an opinion.

Paulo_Santos
4 April 2009, 11:27
I carry the KAHR 9mm in an ankle holster off duty. It is super small and very accurate and it holds 7 rounds. I really like it, but I'm thinking of selling it so I could get one of the "baby" Glocks in 9mm or .40 cal any day over a revolver. JMHO.

louie
4 April 2009, 23:09
I sometimes carry a Ruger SP-101 .357mag in an ankle holster along with my P-245 when I hit the dark side of town. The SP-101 is one reliable little snubby, although If I were going to do it all over, I'd probably go with the GP-100 3" model, or a nice S&W.