PDA

View Full Version : Bump Stock Update

alamo5000
1 October 2018, 09:43
I just watched a Trump press conference and he said and went into a lot of detail about it, that bump stocks are 'weeks away' from being done away with. In the press conference he spoke on the subject for at least 2-3 minutes.

FortTom
1 October 2018, 11:38
I just watched a Trump press conference and he said and went into a lot of detail about it, that bump stocks are 'weeks away' from being done away with. In the press conference he spoke on the subject for at least 2-3 minutes.

You know, I'm usually one of the loudest whiners in "my crowd" about ridiculous, unnecessary, and downright stupid gun laws that accomplish nothing, or are just designed for the left to get a foot hold in for further restrictive laws.

However, sometimes I think "we" as the gun community are sometimes our own worse enemies. Extremely obvious attempts at trying to skirt the laws, by having a stock that can simulate a full auto gun, I think, is one of them. I've never met a person that had one of these, tell me all about it, with grins, smirks and giggles, as to how "they" can't touch me, and how they have essentially a full auto gun.

Our county's sheriff is a very strong conservative, a staunch supporter of the 2A, and a really nice guy to boot. However, I've had a deputy tell me that folks show up at the range with their wrist braced "pistol" and with no regard that the sheriff is still a LEO, make no attempt to even bother to pretend it's a wrist brace, and just shoulder the weapon and fire away. That puts the sheriff in a bad place.

I say if you want a full auto or burst mode rifle, then get in line and file for a stamp to own one.

I'm absolutely sure that I'm in the miniscule minority of firearms enthusiasts that feel this way, but these types of things always seem to come back to bite us in the ass.

FT[:D]

Joelski
1 October 2018, 13:14
Tom, you know as well as anybody that the problem isn't the part, it's the precedent. Give libs an inch and they'll take a Holmes, slippery slope and all. ;)

The ATF probably should never have okayed the slidefire in the first place. As for arm braces, the people are shouldering an arm brace, not a shoulder stock, according to the ATF, not putting your sheriff in an odd place. Mine doesn't give a shit as long as its legal and so far, it is. That is, until some idiotass sends another 10,000 letters asking for "clarification" on this, or that...

SINNER
1 October 2018, 13:32
You know, I'm usually one of the loudest whiners in "my crowd" about ridiculous, unnecessary, and downright stupid gun laws that accomplish nothing, or are just designed for the left to get a foot hold in for further restrictive laws.

However, sometimes I think "we" as the gun community are sometimes our own worse enemies. Extremely obvious attempts at trying to skirt the laws, by having a stock that can simulate a full auto gun, I think, is one of them. I've never met a person that had one of these, tell me all about it, with grins, smirks and giggles, as to how "they" can't touch me, and how they have essentially a full auto gun.

Our county's sheriff is a very strong conservative, a staunch supporter of the 2A, and a really nice guy to boot. However, I've had a deputy tell me that folks show up at the range with their wrist braced "pistol" and with no regard that the sheriff is still a LEO, make no attempt to even bother to pretend it's a wrist brace, and just shoulder the weapon and fire away. That puts the sheriff in a bad place.

I say if you want a full auto or burst mode rifle, then get in line and file for a stamp to own one.

I'm absolutely sure that I'm in the miniscule minority of firearms enthusiasts that feel this way, but these types of things always seem to come back to bite us in the ass.

That attitude is half the reason why they keep trampling our rights. It’s the reason we have the ban on machine guns in the first place. The “I don’t own/like that so I don’t care” will be the downfall of our rights.

mustangfreek
1 October 2018, 14:36
That attitude is half the reason why they keep trampling our rights. It’s the reason we have the ban on machine guns in the first place. The “I don’t own/like that so I don’t care” will be the downfall of our rights.

This

Joelski
1 October 2018, 15:33
If somebody wants to waste ammunition, spraying bullets with barely any hope of hitting a target, that should be their right. Gahoot-y grin and all.

FortTom
1 October 2018, 18:39

No, and no. I am not a I don't care kind of guy. I've spent thousands of dollars trying to protect our rights. I'm just trying to point out, that we, as a group, sometimes push an agenda that is no more logical or sensible than the "anit's" are pushing. I knew I was going to get an ass kicking, when I posted this. Let the kicking begin. [:D]

fledge
1 October 2018, 19:02
All this does is take the eye and blame off criminals and puts it on lawful citizens.

That is sick and twisted injustice from start to finish. Gun control is designed to prescribe guilt to the innocent and we somehow think we can appease it by playing mother-may-I.

The only one to blame are murderers. No cop is in a touch position with that. Any cop they enforces unjust laws must understand the tough position is created, not by lawful citizens, but by his paycheck.

SINNER
2 October 2018, 04:47
No, and no. I am not a I don't care kind of guy. I've spent thousands of dollars trying to protect our rights. I'm just trying to point out, that we, as a group, sometimes push an agenda that is no more logical or sensible than the "anit's" are pushing. I knew I was going to get an ass kicking, when I posted this. Let the kicking begin. [:D]

Honestly I’m not even sure what you are talking about at this point. No 2A supporters are pushing this. Bumpstocks have been under attack since the claim one was used in Las Vegas.

Also you might want to check some of the so called bumpstocks bans states are ramming through. Maryland’s is so intentionally vague and poorly written gun oil is technically illegal. No debates no compromise ever again. We need to push back as hard as possible because this is probably the best climate we will see for 2A support.

And I’ve shot rifles with bumpstocks. They are a gimmick but it’s fun to spray a wrecked car with a AK equipped with one. Lol And 3-4 rounds on steels at 50 yards was more than doable.

Joelski
2 October 2018, 05:10
Not for the average "I got a touch me" mentality. Fudds don't care about any of this. They think their right to hint is safe and sound. machine gun for next to nothing and they cant

Joelski
2 October 2018, 05:12
Tom, we love ya brother but you gotta understand, your position puts you on your knees where Frankenstein and her cronies want you.

ChattanoogaPhil
2 October 2018, 08:42
A lot of members at our rifle club are county and city LEOs. They aren't interested in enforcing the NFA, and I doubt many of them are informed on the law anyway. It's not their gig.

As far as bump stocks... the smoke hadn't even cleared in Vegas before the NRA threw bump stocks under the bus calling for the ATF to reexamine their rulings and that bump stocks should be subject to further regulation. Code words for ban em with our blessings. Our "Pro-2A" president and attorney general nodded in the affirmative. LaPierre, Trump and Sessions... nice trifecta. :(

So now Washington is operating in a post constitutional fashion, ignoring federal law and definitions, ignoring multiple ATF prior rulings on bump stocks, and now just making things up to appease the ignorant masses with the NRA cheering them on. This is far more of a danger than bump stocks could ever be.

SINNER
2 October 2018, 09:24
Anyone who gives the NRA a dime is a fool. As corrupt as the government.

FortTom
2 October 2018, 10:55
No, that's not what I'm saying, Sinner. It's not that attitude at all. It's just that certain groups want to constantly poke the bear in the eye, then bitch when they get eaten. Just because I don't own or like something, doesn't mean I don't support their use and ownership. When I make a donation to a pro 2A group, I don't specify that I don't support this or that. Hell, grenades are fun, but I probably would leave the range if people started tossing some mythical grenade that has a workaround that makes it barely legal. Sort of a dumb analogy, I know, but maybe you get what I mean.

FortTom
2 October 2018, 10:59
Also, read the last sentence of my original post.

FT;)

ChattanoogaPhil
2 October 2018, 12:19
I've heard similar sentiments from gun owners since forever... that others push an extreme pro-gun agenda that will result in backlash. They advocate surrendering freedom in order to preserve freedom. I'll mention a couple.

Tennesse Guns in Bars-- Legal to carry guns in bars. You should have heard the handwringing from some of the guys at the gun club. "This is crazy!" Predicting drunken brawl shootouts everywhere, destroying the image of gun owners resulting in the loss of gun freedoms that we currently enjoy. Seven years later... yawn. We're doing just fine.

Tennessee loaded guns in vehicles-- No carry permit, no mandatory training. Anyone can legally have a loaded gun in their vehicle if they aren't otherwise a prohibited person. "This is crazy!" Predicting road rage shootouts everywhere, cops being gunned down at traffic stops, destroying the image of gun owners resulting in the loss of gun freedoms that we currently enjoy. Four years later... yawn. We're doing just fine.

Same thing with Constitutional Carry, open carry... on and on... all across the country. There's always a segment of gun owners who believe others are too extreme in securing their freedom and predict a backlash. If we listened to these voices, Shall Issue would have never swept the country.

FortTom
2 October 2018, 15:15
I've heard similar sentiments from gun owners since forever... that others push an extreme pro-gun agenda that will result in backlash. They advocate surrendering freedom in order to preserve freedom. I'll mention a couple.

Tennesse Guns in Bars-- Legal to carry guns in bars. You should have heard the handwringing from some of the guys at the gun club. "This is crazy!" Predicting drunken brawl shootouts everywhere, destroying the image of gun owners resulting in the loss of gun freedoms that we currently enjoy. Seven years later... yawn. We're doing just fine.

Tennessee loaded guns in vehicles-- No carry permit, no mandatory training. Anyone can legally have a loaded gun in their vehicle if they aren't otherwise a prohibited person. "This is crazy!" Predicting road rage shootouts everywhere, cops being gunned down at traffic stops, destroying the image of gun owners resulting in the loss of gun freedoms that we currently enjoy. Four years later... yawn. We're doing just fine.

Same thing with Constitutional Carry, open carry... on and on... all across the country. There's always a segment of gun owners who believe others are too extreme in securing their freedom and predict a backlash. If we listened to these voices, Shall Issue would have never swept the country.
I think you're reading way too much into what my original point was. I certainly didn''t post that shit. When I support gun owners rights, I support them all. But for you to suggest what you have is B.S. I've personally heard a lot more people say the same thing about bump stocks that I have the opposite. I've paid cash to oppose anti's laws for at least 40 years. I did not pick and choose what issues I may or may not agree with. Lastly, I thought strict adherence to other's thoughts and speech, or the opposition of, was the new Liberal Nazi stance. If I don't agree with everything another gun owner does, makes a big fucking nothing to me. I cherish my 1st A rights as well, and bow to no one. I'd say that the "crowd" I hang/shoot/etc.. with are probably as conservative, or maybe even radically more conservative than your average gun owner. Not all of us agree on everything, but if we do disagree, we don't hide behind words accusing others as not being "pro gun" enough. Some of us also know when to pick our fights. E.g., I don't sling on an AR to go into the coffee shop and scare all the skinny jean and man bun crowds into shitting their pants. Yes, we have open carry laws here in KY, and I know a lot of the politicians in the state are at least discussing abolishing CCW licenses, as being foolish pieces of paper that won't stop a bad guy from concealing his. Lastly, in my original post, the last line stated specifically that I was sure that my ideas about bump stocks was probably only shared by (I think the word I used was)a miniscule of , gun owners. So I doubt, very seriously that the ATF is coming to your house on my behest, or ideas.

FT[wow]

ChattanoogaPhil
2 October 2018, 17:01
No, and no. I am not a I don't care kind of guy.

No, that's not what I'm saying, Sinner.

I think you're reading way too much into what my original point was. I certainly didn''t post that shit.

Notice all your replies begin by telling others what they're reading isn't what you're posting. Reckon it's time for ya to look inward? ;)

FortTom
2 October 2018, 19:27
Notice all your replies begin by telling others what they're reading isn't what you're posting. Reckon it's time for ya to look inward? ;)
No, I have no need for introspect, genuflecting, or any psychological digging to prove I'm not a closet liberal. I just (and I'm not angry, I knew some of this shit would be heading my way when I posted it) don't appreciate you lumping me in with the neurotic crowd that you did. I take that as an insult and personal attack. Again, no hard feelings, but you really shouldn't paint with such a large brush, brother. We can't carry in bars, it has come up here and failed several times, but we have some of the most lenient gun laws in the nation, and I carry in my car, concealed, open, and maybe a couple of ways I can't remember. I don't bow to anyone, support all pro-gun legislation, for example, I do not, not support a pro-gun candidate, or a firearms rights organization, because I might not agree with them on some point or another. I put my money and my votes where my mouth is, and am always all in, except for silly stunts like grabbing a cup of java with an AR over my shoulder. Stuff like that, and other idiot stunts does nothing to help us endear non-gun people, who are fence sitters, and also VOTE, just like us. Scaring the shit out of their three year old getting a donut with mom does nothing to further our cause, and I would guess push those voters to the other side. We have enough enemies already, we don't need to create more. Leave the sheep-like thinking to the liberals and try to be a free thinker. You will find that as a free thinker, you won't agree with your peers from time to time, and they won't chastise you for your thoughts.

My communication skills may not be the best, but maybe this will make my point, and not be lumped in with anti-concealed, anti-car, and other stupid shit. But if we do stupid shit, you'll hear about it 24/7 from the liberals.

FT