PDA

View Full Version : Melonite QPQ vs. Chrome

JustMatt
5 April 2009, 06:28
I'm picking up a barrel on Wed that has a Melonite QPQ treatment instead of the traditional chrome lining. Anyone have experience with something like this and whats the general consensus.

Stickman
6 April 2009, 09:14
There are a few different trade names for Melonite, and its a concept with barrels that has been around for awhile. I've got one that I've used as a training weapon, and its seen heavy use with no problems at all.

Remember that Melonite, or whatever its being called is simply a treatment. The barrel underneath needs to be of good quality, if it is, you are good to go.

JustMatt
6 April 2009, 14:34
Thanks Stick, its a quality barrel, I was just curious because I don't know of anyone with a Melonite'd barrel. I'm getting it through Adams Arms and it matches there one piece bolt carrier. I've seen the bolt carrier and it's really nice. Matching it all up with a LMT Enhanced bolt. Hopefully it will all work good together.

sniperfrog
6 April 2009, 16:21
There's a benchrest shooter that has been using melonite treated barrels for a few years now with good success, he was 2007 shooter of the year. He uses a company in Ohio that will do it to a barrel for $87 but it is a 200 dollar minimum order. I thought about having a barrel done myself.
Stick, where did you get your barrel from?

Stickman
7 April 2009, 11:46
Stick, where did you get your barrel from?

Prototype barrel, it was never made available to the public, I heard a few reasons, but I'm not 100% sure why.

sniperfrog
7 April 2009, 17:24
Prototype barrel, it was never made available to the public, I heard a few reasons, but I'm not 100% sure why.

The only reason I can think of is that you kind of have to use match grade barrels that are free of tool marks in the bore. It's my understanding that any tool marks or blemishes will be there permanently when treated with melonite and you can't break the barrel in to get rid of them. That benchrest shooter recommends polishing out the machining burrs from chambering but I don't think in an AR it would make a noticable difference.

JustMatt
7 April 2009, 19:03
I'll post some pic's of the barrel and bolt carrier on thursday. I'd like to hear what you all think. Thanks for all the info so far.

Ryo
7 April 2009, 21:19

Love to see what's in Stickman's bag of tricks. [wow]

First time hearing about that type of treatment.. Where are you having it done?

Stickman
9 April 2009, 08:19
First time hearing about that type of treatment.. Where are you having it done?

I'm unaware of anyone that is doing this as a treatment. Every place I've heard of is selling them after doing runs of barrels (100-200 minimums).

EPA regs are supposed to be pretty tough with the chemicals used.

JustMatt
9 April 2009, 20:24
Got my piston kit from Adams Arms today and along with it I got there Meloite QPQ one piece bolt carrier and a 18" Mid Length Melonite QPQ'd barrel. Hopefully will get all together soon. The barrel and bolt carrier are really nice looking and seem to be machined very well. I'll put some better pics up when I get a chance. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/AR%2015%20build/P1020068.jpg http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/AR%2015%20build/P1020093.jpg http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/AR%2015%20build/P1020096.jpg http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/AR%2015%20build/P1020097.jpg

Ryo
10 April 2009, 07:51
wow. That a beauty. Hope it shoots as good as it looks!

OfcPowder
10 April 2009, 09:23
wow. That a beauty. Hope it shoots as good as it looks!

I just read a review in GUNS & WEAPONS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT magazine on the Adams Arms piston kit, which they had on a 7.5" barrel. It got a top-notch review, and the construction of the kit including the one-piece bolt carrier is very high-quality. I would love to get my hands on one personally, but I'll have to settle for pictures in the mean time.

JustMatt
10 April 2009, 10:03
I should have the whole gun together in a couple weeks. Anybody living in the Tampa area that wants to check it out let me know and we can get together and shoot. I've been dealing with the Adams Arms guys directly because they are 15 minutes from me and they are a top notch group of guys. And there kit is really nice. I'll get some better pics up soon.

Ryo
10 April 2009, 10:12
Just wondering.. the one piece you ordered.. it's the one that's on their web page for a one piece right? There's only one selection, but the picture they had for it looked nothing like the on you have.. except for the shape. Tempting setup.. Look forward to hearing how good it is.

JustMatt
10 April 2009, 16:55
At SHOT this year they had two different one piece bolt carriers, chrome and melonite, now they just have the melonite one. I commented to them that the melonite one at the SHOT show looked a little different and they told me that they have a little different finish on the new one. From what I understand the different types of melonite finish, Q /QP / QPQ, have a different look. QPQ is supposedly the darkest one and also the hardest. I might be a little off on this but thats what I got out of it. The one on the web page might be the older finish.

GriffonSec
10 April 2009, 18:54
FWIW, Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville offers Melonite as a service. I'll be sending my P13 as soon as I figure out the disconnector issue it's having. I've spoken to them about the process before, and they try to get "batches" together to send out for the process.

http://www.coalcreekarmory.com/custom_finishing.html

(On Edit: I may just give them a shout and see if they'll do a bolt carrier or two at the same time. I definitely thing the Melonite may be a better option than say NP3, which I'm guessing looks like what the LWRC does with theirs.)

sniperfrog
10 April 2009, 19:32
I'm unaware of anyone that is doing this as a treatment. Every place I've heard of is selling them after doing runs of barrels (100-200 minimums).

EPA regs are supposed to be pretty tough with the chemicals used.

Stick,
That place in Ohio I was talking about is hefusa.com, and over on 6mmbr.com under the daily bullitin is where the article was (although it's posted a few pages back now). I guess there set up to do like 5000 pounds at a time so that's why they have the $200 minimum order fee for barrels.
Who do you know that sells these Melonite treated barrels?

Stickman
10 April 2009, 23:55
Stick,
That place in Ohio I was talking about is hefusa.com, and over on 6mmbr.com under the daily bullitin is where the article was (although it's posted a few pages back now). I guess there set up to do like 5000 pounds at a time so that's why they have the $200 minimum order fee for barrels.
Who do you know that sells these Melonite treated barrels?

There are a couple places that are doing variants, but none that I can vouch for as to the overall quality. The place I mentioned earlier never made them public, and has no plans to do so as far as I know.