PDA

View Full Version : Old school meets new school

cjd3
18 October 2018, 22:54
I picked up a Maxim 50 a few weeks ago when they were on sale. Topped it with a Romeo5 to clear the moderator, and took it out to range. This is my first time shooting a muzzle loader, and it’s something different. Managed 13 shots over a few hours. The moderator does keep the noise down, but it also keeps the smoke down, which in practice is good, but cmon, it’s a black powder rifle, I want smoke!

Lots of cleaning getting started, and I’m glad I used the Blackhorn solvent at the range. It is by far the most unpleasant pungent oder I’ve witnessed. You don’t want to use it inside.

Lots of fun.

mustangfreek
19 October 2018, 00:06
Nice..

So did you hit anything with it?....lol

FortTom
19 October 2018, 00:23
If you can't hack that Sulphur "rotton egg" smell, give Pyrodex a try. A bit cleaner, too.

FT[:D]

JMJ
19 October 2018, 18:56
If you can't hack that Sulphur "rotton egg" smell, give Pyrodex a try. A bit cleaner, too.

FT[:D]

Completely agree, made that change decades ago and never looked back. I’ve also heard good things about Powderhorn 209.

cjd3
20 October 2018, 10:55
The SilencerCo folks recommended Blackhorn 209 powder, which doesn’t stink, it’s the solvent that’s something else. Its pretty clean burning. I was getting 3” groups at 50 yards so I may change from Hornady FPB to Federal BOR Lock.

UWone77
21 October 2018, 09:13
Always wanted to shoot a Maxim 50, just to check it out.

JMJ
22 October 2018, 04:09
The SilencerCo folks recommended Blackhorn 209 powder, which doesn’t stink, it’s the solvent that’s something else. Its pretty clean burning. I was getting 3” groups at 50 yards so I may change from Hornady FPB to Federal BOR Lock.

In the back of my mind I thought I had that powder’s name wrong. Most of the guys I know that still shoot inlines here have all swapped to it. I’m still using pyrodex only because I still use a Hawken .50.

Pyzik
22 October 2018, 11:04
I've been curious about these. Pretty cool.