PDA

View Full Version : ATF Prosecutes Ohio Man for AR Pistol with Brace

UWone77
31 October 2018, 04:39
The ATF was able to convince an Ohio prosecutor to go to trial over the use of a pistol brace. They claimed it was an unregistered SBR not a pistol. They also attempted to have the approval letters for the Maxim Brace suppressed.

This one blows my mind if you haven't read it already.

https://www.range365.com/atf-prosecutes-ohio-man-for-ar-pistol-with-brace?src=SOC&dom=fb&fbclid=IwAR06lFC1OpV5KoFe3090D3qt-5bHkqSP7Hwy4I-ydMUKuaOomsb6LGCgN_Y#page-2

alamo5000
31 October 2018, 06:23
This really sucks. Politics at play.

Some underling deciding to do things their own way? I am not sure... but definitely they are not on the same page (the prosecutor) with the people tasked with actually making legal determinations on the products.

It even sounds like a lawyer trying to make a name for themselves in political circles.

alamo5000
31 October 2018, 06:42
It also seems to me that (lately) there has been lots of political fights inside the ATF. I am saying that because a few of the top people there (the heads of the agency) are from my home town and they have spent their careers at the ATF.

I am not sure if this is the ATF infighting for control of 'who gets to be in control' of the ATF or that of a misguided lawyer or two. Not enough information out there to say.

The appearances are though a lot of this stems from infighting at the ATF.

Former11B
31 October 2018, 07:28
The ATF has been too big for its britches for a long, long time

alamo5000
31 October 2018, 09:57
The same guy in charge of that division of the ATF is also on the Executive Board of the NOBLE Organization. He's the "Federal Assistant to the President" of that organization, which is basically a black law enforcement officer's 'activist' organization.

http://noblenational.org/about-us/

Here is another relevant article.

"The Department of Justice (DOJ) announced 13 new gun-related indictments in Ohio on Friday bringing the number of gun and violent crime indictments up about 60 percent over the previous two fiscal years."

https://freebeacon.com/issues/doj-says-federal-gun-violent-crime-prosecutions-ohio-60-percent/

He's all over the internet.

The guy is over the ATF in Indiana and Ohio, which I might add for the geographically challenged is right next door to Chicago.

Calico Jack
31 October 2018, 17:25
Before you pass judgement take a look at the firearm that generated the charges59525953

Calico Jack
31 October 2018, 17:26
That jackass took the brace of the Maxim the pistol brace.

Joelski
31 October 2018, 17:29
So, the modification makes it no longer meet specs for a pistol brace?

alamo5000
31 October 2018, 17:49
So, the modification makes it no longer meet specs for a pistol brace?

He took the brace off and put an old grandpa walking cane 'non slip' tip on the end of it instead.

How COULD it function as a brace when there is no brace there?

Calico Jack
31 October 2018, 18:03
He took the brace off and put an old grandpa walking cane 'non slip' tip on the end of it instead.

How COULD it function as a brace when there is no brace there?

That's why he got charged.

Joelski
31 October 2018, 18:03
The "mod" clearly makes it less functional. The owner should be fined for excessive stupidity.

alamo5000
31 October 2018, 19:59
This headline should classified as something that was meant to piss off the gun community. Maybe it should be re-classfied into the dumbass firearms owner gets busted for being stupid category.

fledge
31 October 2018, 20:26
I’ve also read recently that these adjustable braces are limited to no more than 12.5” LOP on purpose. Any longer is approaching standard stock territory. Based on the first photo, he’s around 13.5 with the added cane cap.

Cane cap! Gotta hand it to him for mod of the year. That’s up there with the folding Glock.

mustangfreek
31 October 2018, 23:30
Before you pass judgement take a look at the firearm that generated the charges59525953

Lol at that setup...

Former11B
1 November 2018, 14:31
As retarded as it might be, that setup pales in comparison to the NFA laws in general

SINNER
1 November 2018, 19:09
As retarded as it might be, that setup pales in comparison to the NFA laws in general

I think NFA laws might be easier to understand than that abortion.

Slippers
2 November 2018, 04:16
Worth the read: https://blog.princelaw.com/2018/10/28/atf-unhinged-prosecutions-made-up-out-of-whole-cloth-you-might-be-next/

MoxyDave
2 November 2018, 09:53
God, that is a painful read. There are so many laws these days and nothing ever comes off the books ... secret ATF tribunals with no oversight, here we come!

Slippers
2 November 2018, 10:56
Considering eform 1 is now 1-2 weeks my recommendation is to SBR everything. Use braces at your own risk.

Creeky73
27 December 2018, 17:03
Agreed. I have always thought this whole pistol brace thing was going to either get reversed, or the ATF would be forced to legalize SBR's, because allowing pistol braces is nothing more than a loophole to build an SBR without paying the tax. Now, I'm no fan of paying extra taxes, and I'm as pro 2A as anyone here, but a little bit of forethought might cause one to believe that eventually the ATF is going to catch on to its stupidity and either outlaw the braces, or come off the hard rules about SBR's. I'm pretty stupified that the pistol braces ever passed muster to begin with.