PDA

View Full Version : Flickr Alternative?

Pyzik
6 November 2018, 10:18
So, go the notice today that any users with more than 1,000 photos will have to go to the paid plan. Which is $50/year.

Looking at switching. 500 Pix is about the same price. Smug mug is the same.
Google already has my domain and my phone already backs up to google, but it doesn't look like you can share different sizes than what was uploaded.

Imgur may be the last option.

What are everyone's recommendations here?

FortTom
6 November 2018, 11:43
So, go the notice today that any users with more than 1,000 photos will have to go to the paid plan. Which is $50/year.

Looking at switching. 500 Pix is about the same price. Smug mug is the same.
Google already has my domain and my phone already backs up to google, but it doesn't look like you can share different sizes than what was uploaded.

Imgur may be the last option.

What are everyone's recommendations here?

P. have you given any thought to one of the personal cloud drives that you can load 1 tera bytes or more, and can wi-fi or blue tooth to? Basically jus a smarter big A$$ hard drive? I would guess that you could store a heck of a lot of p hotos on a 1 or 2T drive? They are fairly cheap now. Just an idea I'm throwing out there as a "non photographer".

FT;)

gatordev
6 November 2018, 11:49
I think the issue is being able to serve the photos on boards, not just back them up. Personally I don't rely on the image sites (in my case Flickr) to back up anything, I just use it for serving the image and being able to control whether it's public or not.

Pyzik
6 November 2018, 12:22
Correct. I've got two 1TB hard drives. One I use as a cloud and the other as a photo only back up.

Looking for a a Flickr replacement to share photos from to boards, ect.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gatordev
6 November 2018, 12:31
David,

My Flickr email probably went to my Yahoo email that I never check. If you hit the 1K limit, can you just delete photos to get below the paying threshold? I understand this doesn't help you, but just planning for my distant future.

RobertTheTexan
6 November 2018, 20:01
I’m not sure on any restrictions, but I use

https://postimages.org

I have not had any issues with them. I have hundreds of pics, it’s pretty easy to post images here. I use them on all E&E posts and whatnot. They don’t have the best browsing functionality, but it works. I’ve been using them for about 2 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETA: I attached some pics so you could see the UI.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/ab0c91085824f6f545bd30d0f05725c2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/200a4f58af761d669d0d52c4138e0e21.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/90b9fa9011ef6b42fb6f3d8114a46733.jpg

BoilerUp
6 November 2018, 20:01
I have a "Power" account with SmugMug and am happy with them. Been a paying customer since 2005. Upgraded to the Pro plan for Video when I had kids. I really don't take full advantage of the site's capabilities because it really was built with photographers in mind. It has great privacy setting options so you can make it easy or hard for people to figure out who you are based on the image URL. I.e., my name is in the url to the SmugMug home page, but I can set albums or images to use anonymous links. Given your photography business, I suggest you give SmugMug a try.

Slippers
7 November 2018, 06:12
For posting images on forums I always use imgur. Easy, free, always seems to work. It also has unlimited storage.

UWone77
7 November 2018, 20:36
I barely post to other forums, so Flickr for now works for me. I have an IMGUR account too, but don't use it.

Joelski
8 November 2018, 04:40
I'm still using photobucket. Apparently, linking one or two pics a week doesn't set off any buzzers.

Pyzik
9 November 2018, 09:10
photobucket hates me for some reason

RobertTheTexan
9 November 2018, 09:11
photobucket hates me for some reason

Photobucket hates both of us. And I return the affection in kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk