PDA

View Full Version : Glock P80 build question

FortTom
6 November 2018, 14:32
I bought one of the P80 kits this year, but cannot get a definitive answer about having to put a serial number, how to get it, etc..and can't seem to find jack S$$t on the subject. So, I'm truly afraid to even take it to the range. I am willing to cut up the frame, lesson learned, but can I use the upper slide, barrel, etc. on a G23 frame? The upper is a .357 Sig that will go on a .40 Cal G23 frame?
Hopefully someone here will be knowledgeable on the subject? I'd hate to cut the frame up, because the thing is laser accurate, but a jail cell is not really a great place for building more guns. I hear they never have happy hour, either.

Thanks ahead,
FT[:D]

Battle Cock
6 November 2018, 14:43
The only state that I am aware of in which homemade firearms are both legal and specifically require registration for possession is CA.

Federally speaking, if it was made by you for personal use, is not regulated by the NFA, and not manufactured for sale/commerce then there is no serialization requirement.

Unless the state you live in has specifically legislated against unregulated personal firearms manufacture or subsequent possession, then data about their legality would probably be hard to find, since they would be unregulated and by omission therefore legal for any lawful use.

Which is to say, if you can’t find any news indicating regulation of homemade (80%) firearms in your state, there probably isn’t any.

FortTom
6 November 2018, 18:59
Thanks, battle cock, that's as much information that I can find. I'm going to, also, see if I can find anything from the Ils, for the NRA, heck, I can't find , from the peanut gallery.

I hope I can figure out, without paranoia what to do with this thing.

SINNER
7 November 2018, 01:49
Kentucky has no laws governing 80% firearms so you follow the Federal law. No serial number required unless you intend to sell it.

Battle Cock
7 November 2018, 08:12
Thanks, big cock, that's as much information that I can find. I'm going to, also, see if I can find anything from the Ils, for the NRA, heck, I can't find , from the peanut gallery.

I forget, what state are you in?

MoxyDave
7 November 2018, 10:42
I looked into this a few years ago when I was doing 3D printing and found that CA is the only state where you have any concern about 80% lowers. I don't think anything has changed significantly. I am not a lawyer, this is just my anecdotal $.02.

UWone77
7 November 2018, 12:21
Thanks, big cock, that's as much information that I can find. I'm going to, also, see if I can find anything from the Ils, for the NRA, heck, I can't find , from the peanut gallery.

Heh Big Cock...[:D]

No need to serialize it as people have mentioned FT!

FortTom
8 November 2018, 02:51
I forget, what state are you in?

Kentucky.

FortTom
8 November 2018, 02:53
Heh Big Cock...[:D]

No need to serialize it as people have mentioned FT! Whoops!!, sorry Battle Cock, that wasn't intended. Don't know how it happened. Old age I guess.

FT[wow]

Joelski
8 November 2018, 04:35
"Doctor Freud, please pick up the white courtesy phone."

[:D]

JMJ
12 November 2018, 07:35
LMAO!!!!!

FortTom
12 November 2018, 07:55
Yeah, you're both funny guys.....[BD]

UWone77
13 November 2018, 00:29
"Doctor Freud, please pick up the white courtesy phone."

Mic Drop..... FT, you have to admit, that's some funny shit right there![:D]

FortTom
13 November 2018, 11:11
Yeah, it's funny, at my expense....[:D]

SINNER
13 November 2018, 13:52
Just remember we are laughing at you, not with you

FortTom
14 November 2018, 06:56
Just remember we are laughing at you, not with you

[wow]

Yeh...everybody's funny. Now you're funny too.

JMJ
5 April 2019, 06:50
Fort Tom did you ever go through with the polymer80 build?

FortTom
5 April 2019, 13:48
Fort Tom did you ever go through with the polymer80 build?
'
I did. It's been done for quite a while now. I was working on a "light weight" AR project and kind of simultaneously did both while I had the use of a friends shop and milling machine. Prior to that, while it was still not legally a gun, I sent it to Battle Cock for a cool stippling job.

FT

JMJ
5 April 2019, 14:53
How do you like it in comparison to the factory grip frames? My boss did one of the G19/23 sized models, but still hasn’t test fired it. I liked the feel of it and have been considering doing one of the G17/22 sized models.

FortTom
5 April 2019, 15:16
How do you like it in comparison to the factory grip frames? My boss did one of the G19/23 sized models, but still hasn’t test fired it. I liked the feel of it and have been considering doing one of the G17/22 sized models.

I like it. I really don't notice much difference between that one and a 19/23. I did mine in .357 Sig, and mostly use it for a "fun" gun. It is pretty easy to control, though, and I wouldn't be afraid to use it as self defense pistol, it hasn't had any feed/ejecting problems, and the smaller size fit's my hands better than the longer Glocks. ,Mostly I did it for a fun project and it turned out much better than I really expected. Hope that helps at least a little.

JMJ
5 April 2019, 15:54
Thanks it definitely does! I’d want it mainly for a full size grip to use for range sessions with the slide that’s on the G22 I grip chopped.

Joelski
5 April 2019, 16:49
Thanks, battle cock, that's as much information that I can find. I'm going to, also, see if I can find anything from the Ils, for the NRA, heck, I can't find , from the peanut gallery.

Shoot the f@cking thing and quit worrying about nothing.

Edit: Notices timestamp, slaps forehead. Suckered in by a necropost. Carry on! [:D]

FortTom
5 April 2019, 17:16
Pics or it didn’t happen FT...[BD]

But their was some extra fitting, caressing to get everything perfect.. Just pay attention to Everything..it’s a fun little project, I used a dremel, small files and assortment of sandpaper and drill to get it done..
Same here, it was sort of a PITA to get mine together, also. I'd forgotten about that, but it still purrs like a kitten. The fixture for mine was warped and I had to do some serious calculations to get it right, then clamped the crap out of it. Still had problems getting the pins into it. I didn't mention that because that wasn't in the original question, and frankly I forgot until it was brought up. So it wasn't just milling out some plastic. If you don't have the equipment or skills to deal with it, I'd say screw it and buy a new one. It will be cheaper to get a new one than to build one off of one of these kits. If you can deal with these problems, and have the skills, and just want to do one for fun, then go for it.[:D]

FortTom
5 April 2019, 20:24
Shoot the f@cking thing and quit worrying about nothing.

Edit: Notices timestamp, slaps forehead. Suckered in by a necropost. Carry on! [:D]
Ha..ha..ha.., done that a few times myself. Go in the bathroom and give your self a spanking.

FortTom
6 April 2019, 16:36
Ah, there not that bad. Take your time and triple check before diving in.

Make sure to drill your holes first when it’s snapped in perfect, I actually used a self tapping screw in each end to hold everything tight and in place.

Yeah, right, just that easy (laughing) Love ya bro, but everything that can go wrong, went that wrong on mine. Finally, though, it' can be or is a pain in the ass, depending on who you talk to. Another thing, is, if you're just looking for a project, then it's total cool.

Some folks are lead to belive they can build a Glock for a mere fraction of the price of a new one. Wrong answer.
Is it easy? depends on the tools and your ability to do more than cutting a channel in an 80% frame. Wrong answer.

If those barriers mean nothing to you, then forge on and do it. Feels good if you find out that yours is a shooter.[:D]

SINNER
6 April 2019, 18:46
My 9 year old did one.

mustangfreek
6 April 2019, 23:26
FT...Where’s the pics..

I think we need a p80 pics/discussion/problems thread..

My 9 year old did one.

Hehe..

FortTom
7 April 2019, 22:15
FT...Where’s the pics..

I think we need a p80 pics/discussion/problems thread..

Hehe..

Will try to get pictures up soon. Want to show off BC's work. I'd like to see a "project" hand gun thread too, but don't think that would sit to well with the admins and owners of website.[:D]

FT