PDA

View Full Version : "Tactical" pants

rob_s
7 April 2009, 11:08
OK, so I'm one of those guys that bought Royal Robbins, then 5.11s, then Woolrich Elite, and have recently been shopping the Eotacs...[BD]

Each time a new company has come along it's seemed like there was enough of an improvement to at least try the new ones. So now I have a whole closet that could serve as a living history of the tactical pant.

Gotta say though, I'm about ready to just go back to the old-school ripstop BDU pants. I worked in an Army Surplus/Police Supply/Gun shop for a few years and have a bunch of old BDUs I've been bumming around the house in, and I have to say that I really like the damn things. Fit right, enough pockets without funky closures, and I REALLY prefer the old waist adjusters to the new-fangled move to elastic waistbands (what are we, 10 year olds wearing Toughskins our parents don't want us to outgrow?).

Anyone figure this out way before I did? Anyone else thinking of simplifying?

Army Chief
7 April 2009, 12:34
I've obviously got ACU/BDU/DCU uniform pants and Woolrich Elites ... and that's about it for "tactical wear." Of course, I don't wear uniform pants off-duty, but if the occasion doesn't lend itself to WE's, then Levis usually do quite nicely.

AC

rob_s
7 April 2009, 13:09
It's funny you mention that. Jeans to me are "work" clothes for the most part since I typically wear them on jobsites. I don't mind wearing them too much in the winter, but down here that's about 5 minutes long and beyond that they are just too damn hot for outdoor use.

Venom
7 April 2009, 13:29
I also use carhart cargo and carpenter pants due to style and being tough.

Uglyduck
7 April 2009, 17:45
I also use carhart cargo and carpenter pants due to style and being tough.

beat me to it....[:D]

Dutch
7 April 2009, 21:14
Still wearing Royal Robbins and 5.11's, I still look at my BDU's as work wear, not play wear. Thinking carharts may make new tac pants for me as I like the cut.

Dutch

Eric
7 April 2009, 23:10
Over the years I have gone through a bunch of tactical pants, in search of the ultimate pair of course. My agency supplies instructors with 5.11's and they work, but there's better choices available for range use. I like the larger front pockets on the Woolrich version, but haven't tried the EOTAC ones. Tru-Spec 24/7 pants are in interesting twist that are usable for everyday wear around here.
My older BDU's are apparently defective and suffered some closet shrinkage. [BD]

Venom
8 April 2009, 01:44
yeah Eric, also have one pair of 24/7, although they do run a bit baggy/big.

Forgot to add Fjäll Räven to the list. lightweight , tuff pants with great materials used. Don't know how big the brand is in CONUS.

rob_s
8 April 2009, 02:59
I actually like the solid-color BDUs, preferably the tan, and not the issue type in woodland or other patterns. I think that makes them a little less militaristic in terms of looking too "tactical" when out and about.

Honestly, if the tac-pant people would ditch the damn little-kid elastic waistbands and put the old-school BDU waist adjustment tabs on them instead I'd be a lot happier with them.

matt7184
8 April 2009, 08:26
I have a few pair of "tactical" pants. I've been impressed with the new Blackhawk Warrior Wear Pants. For $25 (on the trade in program) they are good to go, but I wouldn't pay more than that. I actually like the elastic waistband as I usually order 2" big for IWB carry, but when I am not carrying the pants tend to bunch up when I cinch down my belt. Why they put MOLLE straps on the seat...I have no clue.

I actually like the pairs of Wolverine Work Jeans I picked up at Ross for $15. After blowing out a pair of Woolrich Elite pants at my last class, I am really trying to stick with pants with gusseted crotches for hard use (as the Wolverines have). They are 12oz denim, but I have not found it to hot in SFL (granted I am used to wearing jeans in this heat). I also prefer jeans since I like to fly under the radar and I rarely ever use the cargo pockets (esp. when I wear knee pads as the straps make them useless).

Gray
8 April 2009, 20:03
I like the Wrangler Riggs Ripstop Ranger Pant http://images.wrangler.com/RIGGS/rg_re_3W060LD_f.jpg

Ryo
8 April 2009, 21:52
I gotta pair of LA Gear's cargo pants and 24/7 Cargo pants. I haven't seen the quality yet, but I'll post it when I get it. I heard TAD Gear is very good, and it's USA made.. though they sometime get out of stock quickly or they don't have stock. Bit annoying for a clothing company to be out of stock all the time, especially for the price you pay.

Oh and people say that LA Gear copied TAD Gear's design.. but seems like everyone is copying everyone nowadays.

Army Chief
8 April 2009, 22:07
TAD Gear makes most everything according to the "small batch" principle, so when you see something is available, the time to buy it is probably right then. I haven't quite seen my way clear to spend $100 on a pair of pants that I intend to run and gun with, but I do own several other TAD Gear products, and all have left me impressed.

AC

TOM1911
9 April 2009, 08:39
Iv'e been using the TruSpec 24/7 pants for some time and they work for me. The secret to proper fit is to get one size smaller than your actual waist. I also like the fact that they come in canvas and ripstop nyco for hot weather use and, they also have shorts based on the same design.

egarrity515
25 April 2009, 17:08
Wrangler slim straight's usually do the trick for myself, i got into things to late to go after true Royal Robbins so my first ones were 5.11, they were cool while they lasted but then the Woolrich Elite's came out, i wasnt really feeling them until Cheaper Than Dirt had an instore sale on them for 20 bucks a pair, which was half off if not more at the time so i got a couple pair, for dedicated tactical wear they rock, way more comfortable then 5.11's AFAIC, and on a side note, they're good for shotgunning because i find that the cargo pocket fits perfectly a box of 12 guage with the top ripped off, just my 2 cents

Ryo
25 April 2009, 19:12
Well I got a chance to try out the LA Gear Cargo Pants.. and I have to say that it's pretty nice. I used it when I travelled overseas and found ithe 2 front slit pockets were excellent for holding my passport, tickets, iPod Touch, etc. It was easy to access them when sitting in the plane rather than having to do the one butt cheek lift to get something from my pockets. They also were comfortable, plenty of room to move without feeling cramped. (wish I wore them instead of jeans on the way home) Note that my travel was 20 hours worth in plane flight and no problems what so ever. Only thing I can say that I didn't care about is the look of the backside. There's a curved line of a seam near the croch area which I believe they made wider to give it more room for movement. Material wise, it seem durable enough. You might want to buy the 1 waist size up since you can clinch it closed. I did that and it worked out great. I think it's great for the price.

I haven't tried the TruSpec pants yet. For this pair look wise it has a noticable grid pattern on it. Haven't decided if I like that or not. Any case I haven't worn it yet so I'll have to comment on that later. For the waist size.. get the exact waist size since these pants have a engenious elastic expansion method to hide that it's expanding. But if you get too big.. well you got to wear a belt. Dont' konw if I like the elastics since that stuff is known to wear out.

TehLlama
26 April 2009, 15:35
The 24/7 Pants have worked very well for me, the baggier fit works best for me out of the pants I've tried, and the waistband is among the most comfortable with and without an IWB holster.

I've had one pair for 6 months, and a couple more. They're literally everyday pants for me, when I'm not in MARPAT, they're what I'm wearing.

The cargo pockets happily hold a pair of 5.56 magazines each, and the knife pockets very securely hold a single stack .45 magazine, making them great range pants, but the cavernous cargo pockets get in the way somewhat for everyday use.

I would like to see some sort of ankle snaps, shock cord, or velro as an option, although if that were packaged with a more relieved cut, reinforced seat, and color choices that includedpatterned material they'd have a real winner of a tactical pant.

5thprofession47
29 May 2009, 06:38
I am a TAD Gear junkie and have really enjoyed TAD's Force-10 Cargo pants, Spartan pants and their Force-10 Legionnaire pants. TAd Gear was the originator of the front slit pockets mentioned above. LA Police Gear, shall we say, "borrowed" this idea and many others from TAD. The quality and craftsmanshift from TAD is unbeatable.

http://www.tadgear.com/what's_new.htm

TehLlama
30 May 2009, 10:17
Iv'e been using the TruSpec 24/7 pants for some time and they work for me. The secret to proper fit is to get one size smaller than your actual waist. I also like the fact that they come in canvas and ripstop nyco for hot weather use and, they also have shorts based on the same design.

I run one inch larger than my waist, which makes them ideal for IWB carry.

They lose some in subtlety points, but when I'm just goofing around at the range, they're fine.

I'll probably be at LAPG later this month to order every version of those shorts available.

alt154shiver
30 May 2009, 10:42
I like the Wrangler Riggs Ripstop Ranger Pant http://images.wrangler.com/RIGGS/rg_re_3W060LD_f.jpg

+1 for these guys. I picked up a pair at a local sporting store on sale and I've got to say, they work great. They have a good fit, the cargo pockets are at a practical height and they are of heavy construction, and the belt loops are large enough to accommodate your 2.75" belts. For those looking to avoid the 'tactical' look they look like plain cargo pants. The only thing that would stand out is that I do believe that most of us wear our cargo pants properly fitted as opposed to half way down to our ankles...

rob_s
31 May 2009, 07:27
Most Wrangler products that I've come across don't seem very well suited to hot weather. How are these?

Chainring
6 June 2009, 15:22

This.

Good stuff.

tac40
21 June 2009, 08:44
Good subject matter, I've try on just about everything-5-11, Woolrich, Crye, BDU, Tadgear, drop Zone Tactical and every free stuff That I've come across
For the most part on the range, you want comfort and something that will hold up as you hit the deck or jam mags into your cargo pockets.

I've seen cargo pockets rip and gears/mags fall out. I hate cargo pockets with small velcro patches-it's doesn't work, stick with snaps and buttons. The new 5-11 pants look good and I've seen them worn by my fellow LEO down here. I like the "don't scream outloud" cargo jeans/pants that give you a cool look vs a "I'm an off duty LEO" or "gun nut/contractor" look. I want some tactical advantage if a thug is sizing me up.

I like pants that offer function and durability, I like the Carhartt and Dickie work cargo jeans, cargo pockets big enough for a 20 rd mag. The new Railrider cargo pants are very nice, yeah they're pricy but fit nice.

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=53494&langId=-1&categoryId=10934# Good color selection and fit loose

http://www.railriders.com/men-versatac-light-pant-p-954.html?cPath=104_110

http://www.railriders.com/men-versatac-light-pant-pi-954.html

The tadgear pants are decent but high end, they're here in san Francsico and
yes it's fun to look in their store for cool stuff. Hey John or Stick open a store like that in Seattle and I'll work for you.[:D]

Most of the instructors I've met wear, 5-11,Carhartt, Woolrich and BDU for range and classroom. It's comfort, wear and durability with cost being near the top-it's your money. I am cheap and will buy a Carhartt cargo jean and make it last for yrs. The light weight rip-stop is durable and the medium-heavy weight cotton is great but very hot.

uspopo
24 June 2009, 08:22
I have 5.11, W.E. pants and have been happy with them. I also have 2 new pairs of the TruSpec pants that I have yet to try out.

Romeo Foxtrot
26 September 2009, 19:39
im not much of a tactical pants guy... I just wear propper BDU pants or wranglers... they're cheap and they work for me. I also frequently wear jeans to the range....

Schwome
28 September 2009, 09:16
I gave up on the "tactical pant" thing a while ago. I decided to go with someting different. I found Mountain Khakis to be the best pair of pants I have ever owned. I got the Alpine pant and this thing is bomb proof. They are 100% 10.4oz cotton duck canvas. They are tripple stiched and everything. I also have the Original Mountain Pant which is great, but more of an everyday pant than an outdoor/work/tactical pant.
http://www.mountainkhakis.com/handler.cfm?cat_id=19807&cat_id=19883&cat_id=19886&prod_id=1001

jeffy
28 September 2009, 11:57
I am a TAD Gear junkie and have really enjoyed TAD's Force-10 Cargo pants, Spartan pants and their Force-10 Legionnaire pants. TAd Gear was the originator of the front slit pockets mentioned above. LA Police Gear, shall we say, "borrowed" this idea and many others from TAD. The quality and craftsmanshift from TAD is unbeatable.

http://www.tadgear.com/what's_new.htmI really like TAD Gear as well. I believe all of their products are made in state as well. I'm not sure about their pants but I do know their jackets have a 6 month warranty for defects which tells you they stand by their products. The only downside to TAD gear is that it's a bit expensive. On the upside, you probably won't have to replace them for a while. If you're ever in the area you should check out their store. It's a few blocks from Mythbusters/M5 Industries.

awm14hp
2 November 2009, 18:13
I wear and love the cabelas trail hikers I have been wearing them for 4 years now and work well

Ian/SWAT-K9
7 November 2009, 23:41
Because I don't like spending alot of money on pants (rather spend coin on training) I wear the FUBAR cargo pants from LAPoliceGear. I own several of them and have run them pretty hard. So far so good......and for $15 bucks a piece why wouldn't you own a pair!

Sak007
10 November 2009, 08:09
I'm a TAD Gear fan as well , pricey but top of the line . The only problem is i keep finding myself making up excuses to be in the neighborhood of their store , & of course it would be rude to be in the neighborhood & not stop in and say hello to the guys and maybe pick up 1 small item which leads too several items ..........................aaaaaaaaaah i'm gettin in the car

Creeky73
25 December 2009, 17:30
I know several people on this thread have already mentioned carharrt pants, but I am not sure if the ones they are talking about are some kind of special tactical pants or not. This week I received some carharrt ripstop pants that I ordered straight off their website, under the "dungaree" section. From what I can tell, there isn't much that is tactical about them, but they seem to be very well-made, and are some of the most comfortable pants I have worn in a long time. Dungaree cuts are very spacious in the butt and crotch region, so it makes full knee-bends possible without busting seams. One thing of note, the front waistband button is RIVETED on instead of sewn on, so no more button pop-off for the big boys like myself. It is triple-stitched in most areas too. I am very happy with these.

Mega
5 January 2010, 13:03
My older BDU's are apparently defective and suffered some closet shrinkage.

I think I got the same lot that you did.
I just tell my wife that I've developed more muscle. [:D]

joffe
6 January 2010, 08:09
I bought 5.11s, wore holes in every pair just by wearing them, got tired, bought EOTAC 'discreets', they seem to be holding up fine so far.. I like how this type looks like a normal pair of pants but has proper belt loops and will hold up longer.

Sparky5019
17 January 2010, 16:40
Rob,

I just wear TRUs from Tru-Spec (www.atlanco.com) and they have solid colors and are very durable (ripstop). They do have a WB drawstring in addition to the buttons and belt loops (extra wide) and no elastic anywhere! They have drawstrings in the leg cuffs too, if that's your thing.

Sparky

WileyCoyote
19 January 2010, 14:26
Does anyone know what kind of pants Travis Haley is wearing(the black ones on the first disc after it rains when they are working on kneeling and prone shooting) in the MAGPUL Dynamics Art of the Tactical Carbine Vol. 1?

I think they are Otte's but Im not sure. Thanks

ryanm
23 January 2010, 21:53
I don't have that video with me anymore, but they wear alot of TAD Gear as well. If it was after it rained, might have been the hardshell pants they offer. I have the Predator pants and jacket, great stuff for wet weather! Also works good as the outer layer in cold weather, just need something warm on the inside and the hardshell keeps everything else out.

cmace22
26 January 2010, 19:47

Thanks for the heads up. Ive been looking for some good pants that were not too tacticool. I didnt get the Ranger but I did get 2 pair of the carpenter ripstop pants in khaki. Looking forward to giving them a try. I did also break down and order a pair of the EOTAC descrete pants.

Shooter
26 January 2010, 20:27
Ran into them at the SHOT Show. They are building a nice kit...

http://tactical.beyondclothing.com/products/custom-layering-system/full-kits/

iamjonscranium
27 January 2010, 13:36
Rob,

I just wear TRUs from Tru-Spec (www.atlanco.com) and they have solid colors and are very durable (ripstop). They do have a WB drawstring in addition to the buttons and belt loops (extra wide) and no elastic anywhere! They have drawstrings in the leg cuffs too, if that's your thing.

Sparky

Link won't work. How much do you pay for them? I get mine for $35 here:
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/

I was actually really surprised at the quality. I'm 6' tall with a 32" waist, and the mediums fit well (32"-35" adjustable)

I also get my ammo pouches (Voodoo tactical) from them.

WileyCoyote
6 February 2010, 09:36
Does anyone have the Arc'Teryx Spotter Pants? Wondering how they fit and last? Are they lightweight, thick, heavy, etc? I like them and thinking about getting them but want some feedback on them before I buy. Thanks

d90king
6 February 2010, 09:51
Rob, I have recently gone to wearing Mountain Khakis and have been very impressed with the quality and versatility that they offer. They are well made, reinforced in all the right spots, offer pockets made for carrying a knife and they are also very comfortable. I also like the belt loop placement as they allow for a 4:00ish carry placement which I prefer. YMMV

I got them on sale at Grey Group for 45 bucks or so which is a great value. I also like that they don't look "tacticool" and can be worn anywhere from the office to the range or a class.

piggly_wiggly
7 February 2010, 14:09
I actually like the solid-color BDUs, preferably the tan, and not the issue type in woodland or other patterns. I think that makes them a little less militaristic in terms of looking too "tactical" when out and about.

Honestly, if the tac-pant people would ditch the damn little-kid elastic waistbands and put the old-school BDU waist adjustment tabs on them instead I'd be a lot happier with them.

Just a warning, this is a self-promoting link, so if that offends you, do not go here (http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/gear.1.html#skdbdu2),
but these do have "the old-school BDU waist adjustment tabs on them instead"... [:D]

bigcoastie
9 February 2010, 13:21
+1 for Mountain Khakis they are comfortable and durable

moeron
24 February 2010, 18:33
I just picked up a pair of Vertx which are designed by Arc’teryx. They're running 50% off until March 15th, with free shipping until Friday. Length is true to size, but you may want to go up a sized on the waist. I just took mine out of the dryer for the first time and they tightened up a bit. Overall a nice pant, nice and thick material, articulated knees and whatnot... their description will probably do them more justice http://www.vertxtactical.com/

50% coupon is "facefan200"

ETA sale end date

Go4broke
25 February 2010, 01:20
I just picked up a pair of Vertx which are designed by Arc’teryx. They're running 50% off, with free shipping until Friday. Length is true to size, but you may want to go up a sized on the waist. I just took mine out of the dryer for the first time and they tightened up a bit. Overall a nice pant, nice and thick material, articulated knees and whatnot... their description will probably do them more justice http://www.vertxtactical.com/

Vertx pants are nice... I placed my second order with Vertx today. I found that after washing and drying the pants shrink a tad bit in waist and about 1" in length. Check them out , i think most will like them. [:)]

Tracker722
19 March 2010, 22:42
I went through the 511 phase but have gone back to BDU pants in the last year.

For range use I wear the khaki BDU pants. My department issues the O.D. green BDUs for duty use and I guess I have gotten used to the placement of all the pockets.

rob_s
20 March 2010, 07:25
Just a warning, this is a self-promoting link, so if that offends you, do not go here (http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/gear.1.html#skdbdu2),
but these do have "the old-school BDU waist adjustment tabs on them instead"... [:D]

PW, MM's link to your site is down.

rob_s
20 March 2010, 07:29
I just picked up a pair of Vertx which are designed by Arc’teryx. They're running 50% off until March 15th, with free shipping until Friday. Length is true to size, but you may want to go up a sized on the waist. I just took mine out of the dryer for the first time and they tightened up a bit. Overall a nice pant, nice and thick material, articulated knees and whatnot... their description will probably do them more justice http://www.vertxtactical.com/

ETA sale end date

I got in on these at the 50% and got two pairs and I am VERY happy with them. These are what I was waiting for. They're not cut for fatbodies, they aren't all tacti-fied with pockets everywhere, the way they handle the elastic in the waist doesn't make me feel like I'm 12 and wearing Toughskins jeans that my mom bought me, and I can wear them right from work out to the range.

I had literally given up on finding any kind of pants that did what I needed them too but weren't about looking the part or costing $100+++. $60 MSRP is more than I'd typically like to pay for britches (I wear $25 Old Navy to work most days) but retail tends to be down under $50 from dealers and for the fit, comfort, etc. that they offer I'm willing to pay a little bit extra.

I can't wait for them to release lightweight and short-pant versions.

neo9710
2 April 2011, 14:39
I know this is an old thread but now that you guys have had this stuff for a little while now...how are they holding up? Have your preliminary observations held up??

rob_s
2 April 2011, 16:50
I've really enjoyed mine. I still wish they'd make a lightweight and a short-pant with a decent inseam.

I also haven't bought anymore, as I'm just not willing to pay that much for britches anymore.

neo9710
2 April 2011, 19:10
Im with ya there on cost...I use the crap that my dept gives us and I don't think Ive replaced them in years...Watched a new officer step out of the academy and noticed the grungy blue BDU pants I had on compared to him. I always wanted a better pair of work BDU pants..The ones we use for work are CRAPPY and look HORRIBLE. I started signing up for some matches..definitely practicing more often..etc. Jeans just dont seem to cut it...

tac40
3 April 2011, 08:57
I spent the past year wearing Kitanica, Vertex, Woolrich, 5.11, Rail Rider and plain jane BDU pants. Each of these had their positive and negative. The Kitanica is like a solid rugged Russian T-34 tank, built to last and lots of pockets to stash your gear, food, and knife away. The Kitanica cost more then the others, I think this is an extreme pants that can go anywhere and work. I like the Kitanica and have no reservation with them. The Vertex pants are what I like for the for my job when I need to be low key and everyday wear. Between my Woolrich and Vertex, the Woolrich wore better on the range and met up with the demands of range duty, the Woolrich had more material on the knee-I didn't always wear knee pads. The Vertex was very comfortable and fit was good.

The Rail Riders I've been wearing for the past several months were the Versatac mid pants, they're the heavier material blend of "6.6 oz canvas weave nylon". The pants were a bit long on me but when wearing my Danner boots not an issue. The pants felt light and airy. As an everyday wear, the pants were comfortable and had plenty of pockets. These would be my 2nd option as a low key pants to wear. The Rail Riders are well made and can take a beating. I've used these on the range and so far as my everyday wear.

My 5.11 are try and true, still chugging along, there are tears, rips and faded colors, and at the end of the day, it's still my beater pants. My plain jane BDU are beat up and have seen better days. Because they were issued to me, two pairs, I've worn these out and should trash them but because I am a working joe, they have become SHTF pants in the BUG bag in my car, along with my 5.11 pants. Sometime this year, they will all be replaced and enjoy life in a cleaning bin for gun parts.

I have not try the EOTAC myself but my buddies from 10-8/Battle Comp wear them and like them. My other buddies from Mil-spec Monkey wear Tadgear pants and swear by them. So this year will be try these and see how they hold up. After watching all the EOTWAWK movies this past year, I have pants ready to go, fight and survive in. I guess I know where my uniform allowance will be going.