PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry "Murse"

Uglyduck
8 April 2009, 23:34
I've been on the hunt for a good concealed carry sling pack and ran accross this from Protech (http://www.protechtactical.com/assaultpacks.aspx). I prefer the agility of a sling pack to a standard pack because of the ease of carry and speed in which I can reach my pistol. Has anyone had experience with this pack erience with or others? If so, I'd like to hear about it. I like the Maxpedition offerings too but this caught my eye, I think its a little more discreet.

And please, none of this...[crazy]...my ego is already dented by simply from posting this, and my wife already picked on me [:D]

zero7one
9 April 2009, 06:35
Do you know how big it is? Like a normal sized backpack? It looks a lot better than a fanny pack. IMO, anyone who still wears a fanny pack is carrying a gun in it. I think that the fanny pack has lost its discrete carry ability. If it is about the same size and appearance of a messenger bag, I would not start the stigma of it being a murse.

Custom-X_Sponjah
9 April 2009, 07:19
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=256446

Dont be fooled by its size, Its packed full in most of those photo's..
I carried it around for 4 days at SHOT Show and Its my EDC/Laptop Bag.
The civilian color Template available makes it that much more discrete.

CXS

Uglyduck
9 April 2009, 09:13
Do you know how big it is? Like a normal sized backpack? It looks a lot better than a fanny pack. IMO, anyone who still wears a fanny pack is carrying a gun in it. I think that the fanny pack has lost its discrete carry ability. If it is about the same size and appearance of a messenger bag, I would not start the stigma of it being a murse.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any specs on it, nor have I heard of anyone using this particular pack. I'd like to use if for multiple purposes. Day to day carry with a laptop and for walk-abouts in the backcountry when I'm off. I agree, the fanny pack has been exposed...and my ego won't allow me to carry one. The Maxpedition Gearslingers are designed well but a little too "tactical" in appearence for my taste. I would always wonder if it was obvious that I'm carrying. I saw your thread the other day Sponjah, that pack is loaded to the brim!

Custom-X_Sponjah
9 April 2009, 10:59
I usually keep my Laptop, Digi cam, cables/chargers for everything, Legal pads, Pens/Pencils ect., 32oz Nalgene, 3 pistol mags, G2 led, Extra Tee-Shirt, and its really not that big..
My pistol usually stays on me unless I'm not wearing the proper attire, then its in the bag.

The V2 has all external pouches removed with MOLLE in its place so its a lot slimmer.. The Flap is also removable on the V2..

CXS

JustMatt
11 April 2009, 19:13
A nice every day carry all bag by EMDOM USA called the TNT (Tactical Non-Tactical) I believe its was co designed with the guy from Military Morons. Nice looking bag.http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=58
Take a look at Maxpeditions Typhoon Gearslinger. It's a messenger style bag but comes real close to a traditional backpack style. And for me it's not that tactical. My day to day EDC bag is a Maxpedition Colossus. I can fit a ton of stuff in it and it works like a charm. Probably not ideal for back country day hikes.http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/Colossus%20Extras/ColossuswithM-1andminiRollyPolly.jpg
For a bigger load I just got a TAD Gear Fast Pack EDC. It's definetly a little on the tactical looking side but it's a bomb proof packhttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/P1020109.jpg
Heres the two to compare.http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/TAD%20FAST%20Pack%20EDC/P1020055.jpg The MaxPed Colossus has a TAD Gear round pocket and a MaxPed M1 waist pouch attatched to it.

scumhunter
12 April 2009, 04:40
I have a couple of bags that I use to lug gear to work or training but I’m personally not a big fan of carrying my weapon in a pack for defensive purposes. I have a couple of friends that use them and love them. My biggest complaint is the pack getting taken off and set down when eating, shopping or whatever. I cringe when I see the man-purse unattached to the person responsible for it. It would just take the slightest of distraction for an opportune criminal to swoop in and grab your pack and be gone. Even if you noticed the pack getting swiped you still have to confront the thief while he has your gun and you have nothing but a bad attitude. If you going to carry this way I would suggest a "do not remove under the penalty of death" rule.

Venom
12 April 2009, 05:49
currently working on a little writeup about the Eagle E&E LE bag. might be an option for you

zero7one
12 April 2009, 05:49
If you going to carry this way I would suggest a "do not remove under the penalty of death" rule.

Very sound advice! As we say in LE, every fight we go into is an armed encounter. Being a little bit uncomfortable is worth keeping your firearm in your possession for your use if needed, not somebody elses use.

Uglyduck
12 April 2009, 23:26
I went with the Maxped Sitka. Should be here in a couple of days. Good advice Scumhunter, I plan on only carrying my pistol in it when I'm in the backcountry, I had the same thoughts...ironic.

Policetacteam
14 April 2009, 06:23
I have been using the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack as my T.D.B. (Tactical Dad Bag) and I love it! In addition to my Glock 22, spare magazine, light, knife, I also keep a first aid kit for my boys, spare diapers, pull-ups, wipes, extra sippy cup, and a ton of essential dad items. The strap hangs perfectly across my chest placing the bag either on my side for easy removal of my weapon or I sling it so it rides towards my lower back, still making access very easy to get to my weapon. Having carried this bag for over a year it is hands down the most comfortable bag I own. PERIOD! If you have kids and need to carry things this bag is perfect!

JustMatt
14 April 2009, 11:31
Regarding the "murse" being lost or stolen with your weapon in it, I would like to point out that it is a matter of being diligent and aware of what you are doing. It's no different then leaving your wallet somewhere that it can be taken easily. Granted a wallet probably hasn't been used to harm a person recently, the principle of self awareness still applies. If you are a little light in the grey matter and leave stuff sitting around then you probably shouldn't have a CCW anyway.

Now consider that those of us that are in the LEO/Military/Corrections field usually have training that allows us to render aid in 'First Responder' type situations, this applies to knowledgeable civilians as well. Example, your walking your dog and you witness a man/women/child get struck by a car while riding a bicycle. If you have your "murse" with you than I would hope to God you have a small medical kit, either purchased or put together yourself (i opted for the latter) that would include some basic life saving equipment and allow you to help. In my murse I have band aids, surgical gauze wrap, Quick Clot, a MTM, laminated card with CPR instructions (they differ for small children and adults), assorted over the counter pain killers, benadryll tablets, scissors, seat belt cutter type tool, saline solution in a disposable bottle, triple anti bacterial cream, iodine and alcohol swabs and six feet of Gorilla Tape. And thats just in my medical pouch that fits on the side of my "murse" and is no bigger than my hand.

If you are ready to take a life to defend others than it is my humble opinion that you should also be ready to save a life. And as for carrying my gun in my "murse"? It inures that wherever I go I have life saving and life protecting equipment with me! It's my job to be diligent in making sure that it doesn't get taken away from me, same as carrying on your person.

Army Chief
15 April 2009, 01:46
currently working on a little writeup about the Eagle E&E LE bag. might be an option for you

I've got the same bag (stuffed full of PMAGS at the moment), and definitely think it is worth writing about. Will be looking forward to seeing your review.

AC

Uglyduck
15 April 2009, 21:30
The Maxped Sitka arrived yesterday. I'll snap a few photos and give a first impression when I get a chance. i think another review is in order too.

Venom
17 April 2009, 02:08
due to lack of time I guess it will be more of a personal impression of the pack, plus pictures, rather than a full blown review. sorry.

Uglyduck
21 April 2009, 09:01
Maxpedition Sitka, First Impression

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/uglyfireduck/P1010001.jpg

The construction quality of this pack looks good although some of the features could've used some more thought. For instance, the PALS webbing is non-standard. In my opinion, what's the point of putting on a pack if it isn't standard? The dimensions should've been changed to allow for this, maybe 1/2 an inch. It fits well and is comfortable for a guy of medium stature. Everything I need fits and is organized and serves me well in EDC and as a day hiker. It also fits a 100oz. water bladder, contrary to the information on their website. I'll post a review after I beat on it.