PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Truck/Car Setup

alamo5000
31 December 2018, 19:32
People talk about having a 'truck gun' but I want to take that idea a step farther and do a 3 gun system. I am day dreaming--so it's for fun [so far], but it also does have a manner of seriousness to it because I might make it happen at some point, or at least get the weapons [:D]

I have a couple of different iterations or ideas but I would like to hear your thoughts about the subject, this is particularly and specifically if you were able to customize the interior to some degree of the vehicle to be able to secure the weapons when you aren't in it.

Idea 1

Either go 9mm or .45 ACP in a full size Glock. At the same time do a shorty short PCC SBR or 'pistol' with a brace on it and a 3 lug mount (and of course a 3 lug equipped can). Then you can just load the holy crap out of mags (all compatible) with 147 grain hollow points [or .45] and there will be no compatibility questions. An additional gun would be a 00 buckshot shotgun. Not sure if a pump or a semi auto or what variety would be best. I lean towards semi auto and maybe even something magazine fed but I am not sure and would like opinions.

The pistol in this case would be secured inside the vehicle and not meant for on your body carry so something full size.

Idea 2

An AR of some variety and caliber (input requested) with a pinned and welded suppressor to make it only a one stamp gun. Which caliber would you go with and why?
Same question(s) as above about the shotgun.
The pistol could be any variety that I like (I love my P226 but I am open to other ideas). Again though, this is not intended as a replacement of the on your body weapon.

The idea is to be able to secure the weapons when you are not in the car so consider that part as 'already accomplished' for the purpose of this discussion. Which weapons would you choose and why? And of course who doesn't need a mini gun, but I am talking more about a realistic system for outfitting a vehicle.

BoilerUp
31 December 2018, 22:47
Classic Alamo post! [:D]

What's the scenario? SHTF, wild critters, or thugs? In SHTF, a standard AR in 5.56 wins for ammunition and parts compatibility during the post-apocalypse. For critters, a suppressed 6.8 SPC SBR. For thugs, then the 6.8 still works but a 9mm PDW could be useful, too. MPX would be my preference, but an MP5K would be hard to beat. I really can't think of a scenario when I'd reach for a scatter gun over a carbine/SBR. Glock 17 or 45 for the pistol is a no-brainer for me.

Joelski
1 January 2019, 07:30
Make sure your headlights, tail lights, license plate lights, glass, etc. are all in working order, and always wear your seatbelt.

And don't drive erratically, or speed!

rxer311
1 January 2019, 08:25
In PA having a loaded rifle in your car is a no go...but a loaded SBR or AR pistol is good to go.

For Idea 1. I would go with a PCC that was designed from the ground up to be pistol caliber. I am thinking CZ Scorpion but don't know if those mags are compatible with anything in the CZ pistol world...but that really wouldn't be a concern for me. Just have enough mags for both.

For Idea 2. Dual wield CZ SP01 Tacticals and a 12" 6.5 Grendel SBR (so I could keep it loaded in the car in PA). Don't know why, but sounds cool to me. You said dream scenario, right?

rxer311
1 January 2019, 08:26
Or for Scenario 1...just get a Roni!

alamo5000
1 January 2019, 09:48
Classic Alamo post! [:D]

What's the scenario?
I've been off my game for a while now.LOL!

Scenario would most likely be a really REALLY good stock market recovery ;)

alamo5000
1 January 2019, 09:57
Make sure your headlights, tail lights, license plate lights, glass, etc. are all in working order, and always wear your seatbelt.

And don't drive erratically, or speed!

The fuzz here are pretty friendly. You can carry pretty much whatever you want.

You're talking about a state where we once got pulled over (two trucks)for expired registration and erratic driving. We had more than a pallet full of ammo in one truck and the bed of the other stacked to the brim with guns in the other.

We had so much ammo the front tires of the old truck were lifting off the ground and it was hard to steer.

The officer asked if we were armed and we just laughed. He was chuckling but seriously asked if he could stop by when he got off duty.

You think I am kidding. ..

BoilerUp
1 January 2019, 10:17
Washington is kind of weird on this. Under the Fish and Wildlife regulations intended to keep folks from hunting from their trucks and ATVs it's illegal (misdemeanor) to have a loaded rifle or shotgun in the vehicle. I've only really heard of Gamies enforcing this. But it does appear to be legal to shoot from a non-moving vehicle as long as it is turned off and not on a public road (which I didn't realize until just now as I thought the law would preclude things such as shooting from my truck bed)

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

RCW 77.15.460
Loaded rifle or shotgun in vehicle—Unlawful use or possession—Unlawful use of a loaded firearm—Penalty.
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.320, or upon an off-road vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.365, if:
(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, or upon an off-road vehicle, except as allowed by department rule; and
(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.
(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if:
(a) The person negligently discharges a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway; or
(b) The person discharges a firearm from within a moving motor vehicle or from upon a moving off-road vehicle.
(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle or upon an off-road vehicle, and unlawful use of a loaded firearm are misdemeanors.
(4) This section does not apply if the person:
(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;
(b) Has been granted a disability designation as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities; or
(c) Discharges the rifle or shotgun from upon a nonmoving motor vehicle, as long as the engine is turned off and the motor vehicle is not parked on or beside the maintained portion of a public road, except as authorized by the commission by rule. This subsection (4)(c) does not apply to off-road vehicles, which are unlawful to use for hunting under RCW 46.09.480, unless the person has a department permit issued under RCW 77.32.237.
(5) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a rifle or shotgun shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the rifle or shotgun.

alamo5000
1 January 2019, 10:39
One thing that Texas does not play around with is shooting at or across any public right of way, like for sport.

If you shoot along the side of the road (any public road) within 100 yards or across a public road that's straight up felony.

Other things like deer hunting at night are obviously really illegal too.

I don't know the exact penalties but I'm pretty sure either could land you in prison.

I don't think it applies to self defense situations but if you went wild spraying rounds across the street you could wind up with deadly conduct charges or whatever.

Most of the rules are centered on public safety type stuff or malicious intent.

alamo5000
1 January 2019, 10:49
There are obviously many exceptions such as that time when those punks did a drive by and shot and killed Marcus Lutrell's dog.

No grand jury around here was going to touch him.

Basically after a long high speed chase the cops rolled up on a car rolled into the ditch and a bunch of criminals sprawled out begging to be taken to jail.

Unless you are him though it's not a good idea. Even if you are him it's still not a good idea.

Former11B
1 January 2019, 11:37
In PA having a loaded rifle in your car is a no go...but a loaded SBR or AR pistol is good to go.

For Idea 1. I would go with a PCC that was designed from the ground up to be pistol caliber. I am thinking CZ Scorpion but don't know if those mags are compatible with anything in the CZ pistol world...but that really wouldn't be a concern for me. Just have enough mags for both.

For Idea 2. Dual wield CZ SP01 Tacticals and a 12" 6.5 Grendel SBR (so I could keep it loaded in the car in PA). Don't know why, but sounds cool to me. You said dream scenario, right?

PA differentiates between a loaded rifle being a no-go and a loaded Short Barreled Rifle being a Go? That’s odd

SINNER
1 January 2019, 12:35
PA differentiates between a loaded rifle being a no-go and a loaded Short Barreled Rifle being a Go? That’s odd

It’s by barrel length so he is correct. SBR’s are GTG in a vehicle in PA. With a carry permit.

rxer311
1 January 2019, 13:04
I should have specified that in PA a license to carry firearms is required to have anything loaded in your car. In PA, by definition an SBR is not a rifle, but is considered a "firearm.". Firearms can be loaded in a vehicle in PA. Rifles can not.

Joelski
1 January 2019, 13:34
The lib Cali ex-pats are trying their damnedest to fuck up Texas. They're doing it to other free states like Idaho, Wyoming and Montana too. I say if they want to have a state like Cali, they should go back, deal with the shit they fled from and have their state, but leave other free states the fuck alone. Goes for our friends in Oregon and Washington, too. Just because Seattle likes the damn, dirty hippies, doesn't mean the state needs safe spaces and gun grabbers.

Joelski
1 January 2019, 13:38
I should have specified that in PA a license to carry firearms is required to have anything loaded in your car. In PA, by definition an SBR is not a rifle, but is considered a "firearm.". Firearms can be loaded in a vehicle in PA. Rifles can not.

See, that's more fuqt-upness. Ohio just passed a law preventing the state from creating an abortion of federal regs and having cookbook laws that make you bandit, or a patriot depending on which county/city you're standing in. I'm not saying Ohio is the last bastion of freedom, but we aren't going to allow shit like Illinois to happen here. Yet, at least.

voodoo_man
1 January 2019, 15:30
All depends on what your particular situation requires and needs.

The short answer:

Rural/suburban - 556/762 pistol with a folding pistol brace
Urban - 556/300 pistol with a folding brace

No need for a 9mm AR build as you should already have a pistol on you.

1 mag in at all times, cruiser safe, three mags backup. Sling

Never leave a gun in a car, always take it with you. So backpack is a good idea, or lock into your car/truck somehow.

Med kit is a must

There's a lot more.

I could write a book

Former11B
1 January 2019, 15:52
It’s by barrel length so he is correct. SBR’s are GTG in a vehicle in PA. With a carry permit.

Didn’t say he was incorrect or mean to imply it. Just said the differentiation was strange

Thanks for the info. Gun laws are so vastly different from state to state it’s enough to make a person crazy

alamo5000
2 January 2019, 20:10
All depends on what your particular situation requires and needs.

The short answer:

Rural/suburban - 556/762 pistol with a folding pistol brace
Urban - 556/300 pistol with a folding brace

No need for a 9mm AR build as you should already have a pistol on you.

1 mag in at all times, cruiser safe, three mags backup. Sling

Never leave a gun in a car, always take it with you. So backpack is a good idea, or lock into your car/truck somehow.

Med kit is a must

There's a lot more.

I could write a book

That sounds very interesting. A couple of thoughts in reaction to your post:

I have pretty good handle on 5.56 SBR, so that said I would think going as short as possible would be a good idea. Should this truck gun concept come to fruition 77 grain is the stuff. By .30 cal would you say .300 BLK or something else?

I've never really had to get in and out of a car with a long gun so I am assuming shorter=better which would mean a .300 BLK with a 9" barrel with some 110grains would not be something to stand in front of at any appreciable distance. I would like to think suppressed would be good but the added length getting in and out of a car might be a disadvantage.

I really like the idea of the side folder for this application. In an AR platform I am not that familiar with how this would be accomplished. A small backpack size package would be absolutely ideal for a whole host of reasons (IE transporting the weapon from home to car or whatnot) and if the need arises to not carry it or whatever it can easily be fit in a small lock box inside the car/truck.

I had a truck before with a console vault in it and I loved having that. Unless someone took an angle grinder with them there was no way they were getting in. It was perfect for days at the beach, stashing a wallet, woman's purse, or in some cases even a firearm, laptop, ipad, etc. For straight up civilian purposes the next car I get will have another one of those in it if at all possible.

Having an under the seat or some kind of discreet lock box that can fit a small back pack with a side folder would be great. Not sure if I should go for iron sights or try to work in a RDS.

As far as the med kit I love that idea without a doubt. Before I invest in a kit though I would enroll in classes that tell how to treat several different kinds of medical needs. I mean there might be a fishing accident where somebody gets cut by accident all the way up to maybe basic bigger trauma treatment of a gunshot wound...and then build a kit to those needs.

I didn't really say it in the OP but the concept would be for an EDC but also to have a bug out kit or bug out car so to speak. A still remember being stuck for 14 hours straight in a major evacuation because of a natural disaster. Even cel phones were not working in Houston during that evacuation so HAM radio was awesome. I already have the license and equipment for that, which also goes back to the lock box where I can wire up or stash the most valuable stuff on a day to day basis when I go shopping or whatever.

I am going to get another car/truck hopefully over the next year or so, but I want to be choosy about what that will be and can hold all my stuff with the least amount of hassle and most amount of access and security.

Honestly if I don't really carry a shotgun that's ok, but that's kind of why I posted the concept--to get ideas from people who really might know a lot more than I do about the utility of things.

Another thing I would like to figure out a hack for is to have a way to securely transport say two 5 gallon gas cans. I am thinking of having a little removable frame where I could put it in the trunk or bed of the vehicle. Again during hurricanes gas is one of the first things to go. If you are stuck on empty you are SOL until after things return to normal.

In the end the real question is yes about specific firearms and vehicle carry but also for the emergency preparedness/bug out car. From a firearms angle though I would like to research what works best because then I could make successive decisions from there.

Hell, even going say camping or something like that, It would be pretty damn nice to have firearms but also lock boxes built into the car so people can't just smash and grab.

voodoo_man
3 January 2019, 05:05
I would not recommend carrying an SBR. I would recommend carrying a pistol ar. Specifically because if you shoot someone with an SBR the atf will 100% be notified if you shoot someone with a pistol ar the atf will likely never hear about it.

556 ammo of choice should be 77gr otm. It's the best.
.300 ammo of choice for non-suppressed is Barnes vortx or tactx, they are sorta the same thing.

Law tactical folding adapter on your ar for folding it.

556 min DI barrel length is 10.3 piston is 7.75" (pws Diablo)
.300 you can go down to 7" DI barrel as that's what it's designed for, and function reliability.

Wml is a must, laser is optional but a good idea.

Zero should be in the 50m range, as that's going to be your engagement distance

RDS is fine, 1-4x would be better for this type of setup.

Buis is a must

Sling that's permanently attached to the gun is a must.

Loadout is 1 in the gun 3 extra mags in the bag.

Medical kit is a must, you should already have a TQ on your person at all times, if you don't rectify it.

Don't leave guns in cars, car are moveable and if your gun is locked in your car and your car is stolen your gun is stolen as well, depending on the state that might be an issue.

For those who are on the fence or considering the viability of something like this my suggestion is to figure out what exactly your goal is. For me it's a "get home" and "anti-MACTAC" kit. Both can be solved with one setup. So worst case scenario, it's Ferguson style situation at where you work, you get stuck without your car or your car is firebombed by a mob going around and killing people. What do you need to get home? Same concept for mactac- you are directly in the middle of Mumbai and you see the van open and dudes jump out with AK's heading for a hotel or whatever. What do you need to stop it.

The rest you can find online, car/truck/prepper forums

alamo5000
3 January 2019, 23:46
What do you think about this? Are there any NFA type OAL issues there?

With the collapsible stock and a 14.5 barrel with pinned and welded muzzle device would it be a wonky and still too long (or not meet up to some NFA OAL rule)? Or would it be better to go with the telescoping brace and say a 9" 300BLK or a 10.5 5.56? But also just to be clear if I use the brace I could not put a VFG but I could use an AFG if I chose to do so?

Here is the link to their website so you can see the stock vs brace thing.

https://deadfootarms.com/ar15-folding-stock-adaptor-kits/

I am really liking this idea for a truck gun. With a sling that would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyUy6JHnesk

Edit:

Found this information on another page;

"System length folded: 16" barrel (26.25)", 14.3" barrel (24.6"), 10" barrel (20.25"), 7" barrel (17.25"). "

alamo5000
4 January 2019, 00:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sIoKIlzAs8

SINNER
4 January 2019, 09:43
I didn’t know Pyzik got a new job?

[adore]

Pyzik
4 January 2019, 10:55
I didn’t know Pyzik got a new job?

[adore]

It took me way to long to figure out what you were referring too. [BD]

alamo5000
4 January 2019, 11:28
It took me way to long to figure out what you were referring too. [BD]

I still am too slow to catch on. What's the punchline?

voodoo_man
4 January 2019, 12:59
...Get a law tactical folder, they are vetted and better. AR pistol is good to go.

SINNER
4 January 2019, 14:09
I still am too slow to catch on. What's the punchline?

Look at the castle nut.

mustangfreek
5 January 2019, 03:18
Lol...

Joelski
5 January 2019, 05:25
Dang...

[:D]