PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Day at the Range!

rxer311
21 February 2019, 12:56
Got to take my freshly stamped SBR to the range today. It snowed yesterday, but was really comfortable today. Put about 150 rounds through my new build today. I am extremely pleased with my results.

After about 60 rounds I did have a couple failure to go into battery issues but I cleaned it and lubed it generously and the issues stopped. I think I under lubed it for the cold weather, but it also felt like the spring felt weak. Stopped by the LGS on the way home and picked up a Wolff extra power spring and it feels much better going into battery now. I was running an H buffer with a can and my brass was flying out at about 1 o'clock so I think the extra power spring was going to be necessary anyway.

Critical specs for the build are:
- Criterion 11.5" CL barrel 1:7 twist
- JMT Block Ops flat trigger
- Riton Mod 7 1-5x scope

First picture is just a random picture of my range in the snow. Second picture is 44 rounds on target. Third picture is another 20 rounds on target after a slight windage adjustment to the left. I was just shooting PMC X-Tac 55 gr plinking ammo. I was just putting rounds on target as quickly as I could recover with the front on sandbags and unsupported rear. I was trying to be accurate but was not stopping to think about each trigger pull. I think with some good ammo, it will be be able to shoot sub moa 5 round groups at 100 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/deoVJT4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DFYDecm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CBT6bgV.jpg

Jerry R
21 February 2019, 13:07
Nicely done. I've had pretty good luck with that PMC, it's my go to for informal range work.

gatordev
21 February 2019, 13:31
I think that PMC XTAC is highly underrated. And by that I mean it sucks, no one should buy it so the price continues to come down and I can buy it all.

Seriously though, like Jerry, I've had great luck with that ammo. Nice shooting.

rxer311
21 February 2019, 13:50
Its not me. I think this rifle is just a shooter. I do think it'll do sub moa with the good ammo and me putting in the effort.

Former11B
21 February 2019, 18:49
Are you running any sort of adjustable gas system? I wonder what the port size is on that Criterion barrel

rxer311
21 February 2019, 19:32
I am not running any adjustable gas system. I think my buffer spring is under powered though. Put a stiffer spring in there and it already feels better. I am sure it is ported without the thought of a can in mind.

old11bravo
21 February 2019, 22:34
Very cool range! Is it your range or is it a public range. Looks about as warm as the range I’ve been shooting on lately. I like snapping a picture of the range the day I shoot to help me remember the weather and conditions of the day.
Nice shooting! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxer311
22 February 2019, 09:14
Private range. Milton Grove sportsman's in Elizabethtown, PA. Only $35 a year.

docsherm
22 February 2019, 09:17
Looks Cold but better than being at work.... [:D]

Pyzik
22 February 2019, 11:19
Whole lot better than my day! nice shooting.

Pyzik
22 February 2019, 11:20
Private range. Milton Grove sportsman's in Elizabethtown, PA. Only $35 a year.

Why can't we have anything like that here! wow.