PDA

View Full Version : First Look and Shots with the Maxim Defense PDX

Dave Timm
8 March 2019, 11:57
Pretty sweet first look range session with the new Maxim Defense PDX that was debuted at Shot Show 2019. Check it out in detail

https://youtu.be/2QpXf2RVhtY

alamo5000
8 March 2019, 23:08
Looking good there Dave!

The weapon looks really awesome as a little truck gun or backpack gun. 18" OAL is crazy. I would like to see some of these super shorty guns in a ballistic test just to get a rough idea of effective ranges. A 5 1/2 inch barrel in 5.56? Or 7.62x39? That's kind of crazy.

Eric
9 March 2019, 11:06
I would like to see some of these super shorty guns in a ballistic test just to get a rough idea of effective ranges.
Tim was totally on the mark when he mentions this is not a general purpose patrol rifle, but more so a niche gun. The terminal ballistics are going to suck. There's only so much you can do with 5.5" of barrel. However, it beats having no rifle at all. I'm impressed by the engineering that went into the design, allowing functionality out of such a compact package. Don't let you fingers slip past that handstop!

UWone77
9 March 2019, 11:21
I want one of these. PDW type weapon, where 50-100 yards max engagement distances.

Former11B
10 March 2019, 06:02
I want one of these. PDW type weapon, where 50-100 yards max engagement distances.

I thought you just said a few days ago you were all set with your firearm wants/needs [BD]

alamo5000
10 March 2019, 07:07
I thought you just said a few days ago you were all set with your firearm wants/needs [BD]

It's sort of like grocery shopping when you are starving. You intend to just get A,B, and C but wind up with like nine times that amount of stuff.

UWone77
10 March 2019, 08:16

That was more like.... if they shuddered all gun stores today, would you be happy with what you have? The answer, absolutely. Are there like to have but I don't want to spend the cash on? Always.

FortTom
10 March 2019, 08:54
That was more like.... if they shuddered all gun stores today, would you be happy with what you have? The answer, absolutely. Are there like to have but I don't want to spend the cash on? Always.

I don't care what another man, or woman spends their money on, but I really don't "get it" as far as shooting 7.62 out of a 5 " barrel. I mean to what end? If it's just a novelty thing, to take to the range and blow your friends muffs off.....;)

UWone77
10 March 2019, 09:12
I don't care what another man, or woman spends their money on, but I really don't "get it" as far as shooting 7.62 out of a 5 " barrel. I mean to what end? If it's just a novelty thing, to take to the range and blow your friends muffs off.....;)

I'd get the 5.56 version. On why someone would shoot a rifle round out of a 5" barrel? Easy, for a PDW type weapon, under 100 yards, I'll take it. They still shoot accurately, yes the ballistics suck, but I'm also not trying to shoot sub MOA. It's a niche gun or a niche role.

PJD642
10 March 2019, 10:09
I've gotta agree with FortTom on this one. It's impressive they can get it to work reliably in such a small package but if I'm strictly looking at 100 yards and in, subsonic 300 blackout seems like the only decent option of the three calibers. You can make the others work but 300 blackout was designed for those specs.

Having said that, for a "Holy shit I need to GTFOH and try to save my butt" PDW I'd probably choose a 9mm subgun like the CMMG Guard or the Sig MPX. Less recoil, less flash, less noise, easy to suppress, I can fit 2-33 round glock or MPX mags into one 30-round AR mag pouch so I can theoretically carry twice the amount of ammo...inside 100 yards I'd be perfectly happy with an SBR 9mm carbine. Admittedly I'm looking at this from a civilian standpoint (Zombie outbreak, lol) and not worrying about defeating foes wearing plates.

And this may be heresy but I might just like my Guard better than my MPX...

UWone77
10 March 2019, 10:14
Maybe suppressed, but I see zero benefit running 300 BLK Subs without a can.

I'm a big fan of 9mm, but 5.56 will defeat standard body armor in a PDW setup. I would not use a PDW in an end of the world scenario.

Again this is a niche gun for a niche role. Would not be my go-to gun .

PJD642
10 March 2019, 12:24
Yes, I was specifically thinking of suppressed 300, which should defeat most soft body armor (according to a few youtube videos of vests being shot). Completely agree on "not an EOTWAWKI" gun, but for getting home to the gun safe I think an SBR 9mm carbine/pistol combo would handle most everything. Running away/detouring around factors into that opinion also...

Former11B
10 March 2019, 17:57
I'd get the 5.56 version. On why someone would shoot a rifle round out of a 5" barrel? Easy, for a PDW type weapon, under 100 yards, I'll take it. They still shoot accurately, yes the ballistics suck, but I'm also not trying to shoot sub MOA. It's a niche gun or a niche role.

It’s going to dominate a PCC at those ranges, even with a 5” barrel. I dont see it as a competitor for a 10.5” SBR but an upgrade over an MP5, etc