PDA

View Full Version : Magnified Optics

OfcPowder
13 April 2009, 18:18
Although my department doesn't authorize them on-duty, I'm considering buying a 3X optic to put behind my Aimpoint for fun days at the range. Does anyone have experience with the EOTech or the Aimpoint models? I know the Aimpoint is more expensive and you have to buy a mount. It appears the EOTech comes with a mount and is cheaper to begin with than the Aimpoint.

I'm assuming I can mount the ET behind my Aimpoint Comp ML3. I'm just curious if the AP is worth the extra $$$.

Thoughts / comments appreciated...

Paulo_Santos
13 April 2009, 21:08
I 've had the Aimpoint magnifier and it works well, but the 1.5" eye relief is a pain in the ass sometimes. The best mount for the Aimpoint magnifier is the Larue pivot mount and the Samson Flip mount is a close second.

The new EOTech 3x magnifier looks very nice and has 2" eye relief. They also did a nice job of putting the adjustments on the magnifier and not on the mount. I would stay away from the older EOTech 3x and 4x magnifiers because the adjustments are on the mount.

OfcPowder
13 April 2009, 21:34
I 've had the Aimpoint magnifier and it works well, but the 1.5" eye relief is a pain in the ass sometimes.

You'll have to forgive me but I really have very little experience with magnified optics or scopes, and don't really understand the aspects of eye relief. Can someone explain this?

Stickman
13 April 2009, 23:16
You'll have to forgive me but I really have very little experience with magnified optics or scopes, and don't really understand the aspects of eye relief. Can someone explain this?

With some optics, you need to stick your eye very close, while with others, you can stay farther back. The distance involved is called the eye relief.

BobinLaConner
11 June 2011, 11:14
I know this is an older post but I am interested in the subject and how the different magnifiers compare to some of the budget options (eotech, aimpoint to the primary arms, burris, etc).

I have the Primary Arms 3x deluxe magnifier on a larue mount (yes my mount was more than the magnifier). It works great and Primary Arms service is amazing, but the eye relief is what I question also. I'm not sure what the relief is on mine but it seems really short and I had to mount it as far back as possible on my rail to get my eye right up to it and see much. Its hard to pay $500 for the Eotech magnifier, but if is a better optic it might be worth it.

I wish someone would come up with a lens apparatus that could be mounted on to the aimpoint that turned it into a 1x-4x

Paulo_Santos
11 June 2011, 14:17
I have used both of the magnifiers and I prefer the EOTech. It is cheaper, better eye relief, and comes with a flip mount with two different heights (regular and lower 1/3 co-witness).