PDA

View Full Version : Pro 2A Bookkeeper/Accountant

Sak007
12 March 2019, 14:29
I'm looking for a gun friendly bookkeeper/accountant in western Wa to help me navigate getting a gun shop started up and staying in the good graces of our overlords and would appreciate any recommendations .

UWone77
12 March 2019, 15:32
You sure you want to open a gun store in WA in this political and economic climate?

Sak007
12 March 2019, 15:52
You sure you want to open a gun store in WA in this political and economic climate?
I realize I'm a bit late to the party but it may be the only way to own anything other then a musket soon[BD] . I have a "real" job and this will be my side job with little overhead cost and primarily special orders and class 3 similar to how Chip from Cascade Arsenal was set up.

UWone77
12 March 2019, 16:16
I realize I'm a bit late to the party but it may be the only way to own anything other then a musket soon[BD] . I have a "real" job and this will be my side job with little overhead cost and primarily special orders and class 3 similar to how Chip from Cascade Arsenal was set up.

Chip is out of business. Trust me, this is not a good side gig.

Low margins on virtually everything, even worse as you won't be buying distributor level quantities.

Sak007
12 March 2019, 16:33
I realize how turbulent the industry is especially with the impending insanity at our state level but i'm confident with not having to worry about overheads that I can turn a profit albeit a small profit for now . I live in a very weird micro climate that is experiencing a huge economic boom for being a small town and am lucky to have a dense population of pro gun residents with money to spend .......for now or at least til June on the firearms side .

UWone77
12 March 2019, 16:58
I realize how turbulent the industry is especially with the impending insanity at our state level but i'm confident with not having to worry about overheads that I can turn a profit albeit a small profit for now . I live in a very weird micro climate that is experiencing a huge economic boom for being a small town and am lucky to have a dense population of pro gun residents with money to spend .......for now or at least til June on the firearms side .

I only say what I'm saying because I've seen first hand how this industry is on the retail side. Both for small retailers and larger ones. It is BRUTAL. It's not just the margins, it's the returns, chargebacks, fraud, ect.

I've used to think at some point I'd get my own FFL/SOT and run a small shop part time out of a on-property shop, but abandoned those ideas. I wish you all the success in the world.

Sak007
12 March 2019, 17:22
I only say what I'm saying because I've seen first hand how this industry is on the retail side. Both for small retailers and larger ones. It is BRUTAL. It's not just the margins, it's the returns, chargebacks, fraud, ect.

I've used to think at some point I'd get my own FFL/SOT and run a small shop part time out of a on-property shop, but abandoned those ideas. I wish you all the success in the world.

I appreciate you taking your time to go through some issues I will be facing and for the very realistic warnings . My FFL application has already been submitted and I have a in house meeting with the ATF next week and will be going the 07/02 route and really hope that I can turn this into something that is positive .

FortTom
12 March 2019, 17:30
Good luck. My west coast buds say's it's financial suicide, but I hope the best for you.

FT

UWone77
12 March 2019, 18:06
Good luck. My west coast buds say's it's financial suicide, but I hope the best for you.

FT

Heh, just talked to a buddy that said almost the exact same thing. There are a ton of guys that have gone out of business in the last several years, more to come this year.

Stone
12 March 2019, 18:36
Yeah with Trump in office sales have got to be down. Now, if Hillary had won...

Sak007
12 March 2019, 19:12

FT

Heh, just talked to a buddy that said almost the exact same thing. There are a ton of guys that have gone out of business in the last several years, more to come this year.There is only one other gun shop in town which caters to the cowboy action crowd and the next town over has a couple big box stores and the great guys at Jones Arms & an unnamed shop that has burned a lot of its customers . I realize that I'm picking a poor time to become an FFL , but I have been wrapped up in city permitting and paperwork issues for over 2 years I'm hoping that by not having a lease or rent and pretty much being special order that I will minimize my risk in this possible suicidal venture [BD]

fledge
12 March 2019, 19:35
Good for you, Sak. As long as you aren’t keeping much inventory and also have a client base, I can see some positives. Based on how FFLs charge for transfers these days, you may get weekend warrior money, network local community and create a hub of conversation and access few in your area may have. It’s always more than just a business. It’s keeping the flame alive.

BoilerUp
12 March 2019, 20:42
Maybe talk to Brislawn over a NW Gun Law Group and see if he knows anybody? Maybe work something out to send people his way for Trust work?

UWone77
12 March 2019, 21:21
Yeah with Trump in office sales have got to be down. Now, if Hillary had won...

Had she won, I suspect by now in 2019, we'd all be bending over wishing for the Obama years.

mustangfreek
13 March 2019, 02:27
Humm, like said it’s gonna be a hard battle right now, but I also see the ups in it.

Where about s are you trying to do this?

Tyrannosaur
14 March 2019, 13:02
With most Dick's sporting goods discontinuing the sales of all guns maybe you'll get some more business but as stated it's a pretty big risk. I have watched 5 big gun and firearm dealers go under. The internet will kill you and the dumb feelz good laws passed by asshat politicians will destroy you. Good luck either way

fledge
14 March 2019, 13:38
Dicks is dumping guns because people stopped buying them after their outspoken activism. They are also closing many stores. So that comparison doesn’t really fit for the hobby level store and the services supplied.

If Trump loses in 2020, this industry will get a big short-term boost.

Stone
14 March 2019, 18:54
Plus dicks just lost a few law suits from age discrimination cases. I hope they go under...

Sak007
17 March 2019, 12:59
Humm, like said it’s gonna be a hard battle right now, but I also see the ups in it.

Where about s are you trying to do this?
I'm in Clallam County