PDA

View Full Version : 16” 308 with rifle gas..who’s running one

mustangfreek
18 March 2019, 15:58
Ok

Bored at the tire shop waiting....so some crap is bouncing around my head like Alamo....[:D]

Slowly got a 308 AR in the works..I’m building a shooter,plink steel and maybe hunt with ..

I know I’m gonna lose some velocity...blah blah.... but I’m curious as to who’s running a 16” 308 Barrel with rifle gas.

How does it shoot ? Recoil impulse ?

Not many companies make this, and some say no..but shooting unsuppressed I don’t think it will be a problem? But never had one of my own...

So..anyone?

UWone77
19 March 2019, 09:45
Stick with midlength.

UWone77
19 March 2019, 10:50
Stick with midlength.

mustangfreek
19 March 2019, 15:22
What’s the fun in that

Have you played with a rifle gas 16”-308?

Ok...sidetracking my own thread...

Say you have a 16” middy-308..assuming a adjustable gas block is gonna be a must for tuning and overall just taming it down right

UWone77
19 March 2019, 17:26
Honestly, unless you see an SLR adjustable on sale that brings the price down to a standard gas block, I wouldn't necessarily get one unless I had a can.

16" 5.56 barrels usually need tuning when using rifle gas, will be the same song and dance with a 308.

Keep it simple, don't over think your first one.

alamo5000
19 March 2019, 18:15
Keep it simple, don't over think your first one.

WHAT?!

[:D][:D][:D]
[BD][BD][BD]

mustangfreek
19 March 2019, 19:13
Haha..I tend to think too much on certain things....ok..just about everything.....[:D]...

Ok, I’ve my arm has been twisted...18” length is settled on I think.

I’ll get back to other Alamo style ocd questions soon...[BD]

SINNER
19 March 2019, 19:47
Rifle length gas systems on .308’s is the perfect setup. Saves you from having to band aid it into running properly with an adjustable gas block. Same with the 6.5CM. Any barrel over 18” should have a rifle +2” gas system IMO. Certainly no lack of gas with a .308.

mustangfreek
20 March 2019, 00:03
Thanks for the input sinner.

Wow , never really paid attention to the 6.5 gas setups..rifle plus 2, wow...tells ya there’s plenty of gas.

Former11B
21 March 2019, 06:46
Thanks for the input sinner.

Wow , never really paid attention to the 6.5 gas setups..rifle plus 2, wow...tells ya there’s plenty of gas.

I’m running a plus 2” on my Valkyrie. I can’t imagine an intermediate or rifle length on here

I’ve only ever loaded ammo for my 16”.308 bolt gun.

168gr will be your friend

RobertTheTexan
17 April 2019, 12:21
My LMT MWS was an 18” cut down to 16”. It ran so well that if I do another 16” 308, without a doubt it will be rifle gas. It ran consistently with a can or without. All ranges of ammo including some 30yr old German Army surplus, steel case and it was a subMOA if you did your part. The only ammo that did not cycle and I’m not really surprised was subsonic 308, 200gr. It wouldn’t extract or lock back. Maybe I could have played with buffer/spring or tried different ammo, but otherwise from 175gr down to 148gr it ran like a dream. Just do it. Sinner is correct there is plenty of gas for proper cycling. I used a Magpul UBR G2 as my stock and of course that uses an A5 length buffer tube. You can’t use the A5 buffer with the 308 as it’s too long (due to the 308 BCG being longer) so I used a standard carbine buffer - H2 and an Armalite rifle spring. My other 308, I used a heavy 308 carbine buffer which is shorter than a mil spec carbine buffer and the recoil impulse was a tad bit softer. That said rifle gas on a 308 is a definite improvement over carbine gas, which is my only other experience .

When I posted the barrel and parts for sale, some guy contacted me and asked if I would even trade my 416R SS 16” rifle gas barrel for his CMV 16” carbine gas barrel. Just like that. No money, an even trade. Lowballing morons like that often get no email from me - but that yahoo did admit dripped with sarcasm. Sorry I digress.. Anyway a buddy of mine from M4C and wevo, Docsherm built a AR-10/308 using a Noveske 16” rifle gas barrel. There aren’t a lot of barrel manufacturers that do 16” rifle gas in 308, but Noveske does and he is extremely pleased with the performance.
I like the 16” rifle gas so much that if push came to shove, I’d buy an 18” rifle gas and have Marvin Pitts (or someone of comparable talent)cut it down to 16” and rethread it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I’ll do my best to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
17 April 2019, 12:24
Looks like I missed UWone’s repeated vote for midlength... oops.

mustangfreek
18 April 2019, 00:59
Ah..good info Texan

SINNER
19 April 2019, 09:01
Looks like I missed UWone’s repeated vote for midlength... oops.

He ate lead paint as a child.

mustangfreek
19 April 2019, 15:38
Well 18” RA barrel with .079 gas port and intermediate length gas system using a Cmt gas block is where I’ll start