PDA

View Full Version : Griffin armament Explorr

mustangfreek
20 March 2019, 16:06
Just seen this in a email, also been hearing a lot of good things from vendors about them. So good that there discontinuing other models to just offer this.

Griffin armament Explorr cans...Silencer shop has them right now in 3 variations 556, 6.5 and 762

And they come with a taper mount comp and a free set of griffin micro sights at the moment....so want...need a dealer that takes payments...lol..my 40th is this year so I’m somehow getting into one...lol

https://www.silencershop.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=Explorr

alamo5000
20 March 2019, 17:16
Capital Armory in Austin has installment plan options. Seriously.

alamo5000
20 March 2019, 17:18
A few YouTube videos just came out about these cans. Looks very interesting.

Uffdaphil
20 March 2019, 20:25
Helluva deal w/the comp and sights. I just wish the 6.5 had been 6.8 to cover more calibers. But I would get the .30 cal if I were not contemplating fleeing the Peoples Republic of Minnesota soon.

mustangfreek
20 March 2019, 21:58
Capital Armory in Austin has installment plan options. Seriously.

Uh oh....lol..

If I did ,I’d like to find a somewhat local place. But thanks for the info Alamo..they look like they have some decent deals.. Also noticed they charge a 17% fee for the installment plan.

Former11B
21 March 2019, 05:45
I’m all over a .30 cal version

alamo5000
21 March 2019, 08:48
I did some looking around and the .30 cal versions are both shorter and lighter. The .30 cal can loses about 5oz and 1 inch vs the Recce 7 but you give up 5 db of performance with full power ammo. On 300BLK I think the performance is about the same or better than the 7 just in a smaller package.

The 5.56 version is also about 5Db louder than the Recce 5 but its shorter and lighter as well.

Former11B
21 March 2019, 11:10
Hansohn Brothers said they were so impressed with the EXPLORR line, they weren’t going to carry the Recce or Paladin lines anymore, in 5.56 or 7.62. That says a lot

alamo5000
21 March 2019, 11:35
Hansohn Brothers said they were so impressed with the EXPLORR line, they weren’t going to carry the Recce or Paladin lines anymore, in 5.56 or 7.62. That says a lot

I don't know who that is exactly (heard the name but not up on my industry who's who)... I want to get more information on this new line.... hopefully the Recce series stays as I kind of like it but I am definitely not ruling out getting an Explorr or two.

mustangfreek
21 March 2019, 15:16
Ya, there’s a thread in ar15dotcom where a griffin industries worker is chiming in about these.

He says that the 6.5” 308 cans are definitely ear safe.

He said there a high speed/good materials option at a lower cost as some features aren’t there or different from their other cans.

BoilerUp
21 March 2019, 19:51

Seems like the user serviceable Paladin line has some qualities that would still make it attractive versus a tubeless design.

Joelski
21 March 2019, 20:29
He says that the 6.5” 308 cans are definitely ear safe.

I find myself wanting to call b.s. on that claim. My Alpha tames my .308, but I'm not taking off my ear pro.

You only have so much hearing, and it doesn't recover. Pete Townsend couldn't hear a jet engine next to him, and he tried for years to save his hearing.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and I'd especially like to see a compelling price. As much of a like him or don't guy KMFB is, I am falling for the cherry bomb method of attaching cans to barrels. As IMO, the taper mount is hands down the best way to attach, putting the threads after the taper makes sense, as does his theory that the problem with G.A. cans is carbon lock as a result of the design.

SINNER
21 March 2019, 21:59
Anyone claiming a .308 can is hearing safe is a fool or a liar.

Former11B
21 March 2019, 22:02
Seems like the user serviceable Paladin line has some qualities that would still make it attractive versus a tubeless design.

The vast majority of centerfire rifle cans aren’t serviceable...I imagine they don’t sell a whole lot of them despite the features. The .30 cal Paladin is really light and durable though

alamo5000
21 March 2019, 22:44
As IMO, the taper mount is hands down the best way to attach, putting the threads after the taper makes sense, as does his theory that the problem with G.A. cans is carbon lock as a result of the design.

I've seen people argue online about that and honestly it's a pretty stupid topic to even discuss. The differences are so minute it makes hardly no difference if both systems are maintained. If the shooter is a complete lazy ass and knows he's a lazy ass then by all means go threads after. If he doesn't want to take his can off the rifle for a year, fine. On the other hand the taper surface on the can and mount itself is the most critical part to getting the best most consistent lock up and alignment. If your taper gets fouled up it can have other issues. Wiping down the mount with a greasy old rag and wiping off the taper surface on the can every once in a while is not too much to ask.

Sometimes I think people just hunt for a reason to fight.

alamo5000
21 March 2019, 22:49
The vast majority of centerfire rifle cans aren’t serviceable...I imagine they don’t sell a whole lot of them despite the features. The .30 cal Paladin is really light and durable though

They even say in their ads that 'unless you are a very high volume shooter you don't need this'.

From what I understand that whole thing is at least partially there for better and easier service in the event of a baffle strike or whatever.

mustangfreek
21 March 2019, 23:52

I’m a noob, but I see the attraction to wanting to pull it apart per say.

I find myself wanting to call b.s. on that claim. My Alpha tames my .308, but I'm not taking off my ear pro.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and I'd especially like to see a compelling price. As much of a like him or don't guy KMFB is, I am falling for the cherry bomb method of attaching cans to barrels. As IMO, the taper mount is hands down the best way to attach, putting the threads after the taper makes sense, as does his theory that the problem with G.A. cans is carbon lock as a result of the design.

Kmfb? I have no loyalty towards anyone’s cans or products...I’m lost..lol....and I’m not up to par on what’s best , but yes the taper mount looks good.

Anyone claiming a .308 can is hearing safe is a fool or a liar.

Ya I’m not sure, still gotta be decently loud..but idk..

Here’s the griffin dudes quote from ar15dotcom today.

Originally Posted By Green0:
I designed the Explorr cans because it seemed like a logical place to go. I wanted to make something high performance in weight, in size, and performance for that size. We didn't design them because they would obsolete current offerings in the lineup.

The current Recoil magazine is featuring the new Paladin 5. It's a new silencer.

The Explorr product does some neat stuff. The Paladin also does some unique stuff. The Recce cans compete favorably with cans from big corporations that are built on a high volume model, and they are one of the cleaner looking options on the market doing that.

Ear safe 6.5" .308.. I was happy with that. That's what the Explorr does well. Being the size of a 5.56mm can and being competitive on a .308.

Dont kill the messenger....[BD]

VIPER 237
22 March 2019, 05:37
I’ve never had an issue with carbon lock with my griffin taper mounts. I posted a link to my insta where I show one of my mounts that has over 7800 rounds fired through, not a single issue with carbon lock.

Q always posts pics of the cherry bomb with the nice clean section behind his taper, but I wonder what would happen if someone shoots a ton of rounds unsupresssd? I wonder if there would be enough carbon build up on the front taper to cause misalignment?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Btzq1yqHs7L/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1vqh7ew8z7ifh

I've seen people argue online about that and honestly it's a pretty stupid topic to even discuss. The differences are so minute it makes hardly no difference if both systems are maintained. If the shooter is a complete lazy ass and knows he's a lazy ass then by all means go threads after. If he doesn't want to take his can off the rifle for a year, fine. On the other hand the taper surface on the can and mount itself is the most critical part to getting the best most consistent lock up and alignment. If your taper gets fouled up it can have other issues. Wiping down the mount with a greasy old rag and wiping off the taper surface on the can every once in a while is not too much to ask.

Sometimes I think people just hunt for a reason to fight.

UWone77
22 March 2019, 05:41
5.56 cans are barely hearing safe. I still wear ears with all suppressed shooting. 308? Fugggeddabout it

I see no reason to have a serviceable centerfire can vs, a full welded core.

At this point everyone is basically making a baffle stack design can, using inconel as the first baffle. The only thing that sets cans apart are price, mounting attachment designs, and "tone" what it sounds like.

Former11B
22 March 2019, 06:04

You only have so much hearing, and it doesn't recover. Pete Townsend couldn't hear a jet engine next to him, and he tried for years to save his hearing.

Q is full of it. He pretends he’s invented everything in the suppressor industry first and everything else is a copy of his work. Despite getting over 30 patents rejected recently for not being original...but I digress [BD]

And Griffin’s taper works just fine. The top thread has a tapered surface and I’ve never had one get carbon locked before

As far as the hearing safe thing goes; are they saying a suppressed bolt gun is hearing safe or a semi auto?

alamo5000
22 March 2019, 09:36
I’ve never had an issue with carbon lock with my griffin taper mounts. I posted a link to my insta where I show one of my mounts that has over 7800 rounds fired through, not a single issue with carbon lock.

Q always posts pics of the cherry bomb with the nice clean section behind his taper, but I wonder what would happen if someone shoots a ton of rounds unsupresssd? I wonder if there would be enough carbon build up on the front taper to cause misalignment?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Btzq1yqHs7L/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1vqh7ew8z7ifh

Exactly. If the taper surface gets carboned up you have a whole different set of problems.

Q is full of it. He pretends he’s invented everything in the suppressor industry first and everything else is a copy of his work. Despite getting over 30 patents rejected recently for not being original...but I digress [BD]

And Griffin’s taper works just fine. The top thread has a tapered surface and I’ve never had one get carbon locked before

As far as the hearing safe thing goes; are they saying a suppressed bolt gun is hearing safe or a semi auto?

I am guessing bolt action. Very few if any semi autos would be hearing safe...

I have never had a single problem one with Griffin's taper mount. I heard of one gun guy on Youtube that I called a complete stupid ass though. He mounted his can to a machine gun for 18 months straight and then wondered why there was carbon build up.

At the end of the day the expansion and contraction of the metals involved lead to more lock up than anything. If the can is hot and you keep on ratcheting it down on there over and over naturally it's going to be a snug fit.

VIPER 237
22 March 2019, 09:52
The one advantage of a user serviceable can is the ability to shoot rimfire and clean it afterwards.

alamo5000
22 March 2019, 10:10
I’m a noob, but I see the attraction to wanting to pull it apart per say.

Ya I’m not sure, still gotta be decently loud..but idk..

Here’s the griffin dudes quote from ar15dotcom today.

I think I read somewhere that the take apart cans (like I said in another post) helps Griffin's service department do turnaround time in like half the time. No cutting welds or whatever...they can just fix a baffle strike and send it out in short order.

Initially I thought I would like to take my cans apart too...but after a few years of shooting with them it's not an issue at all.

As for the hearing safe at the ear thing.... Silencer Shop did a test of the Explorr on .308 bolt action. Go to 0:40 seconds and it shows an at the ear reading of 131.17 DB according to SS tests. I would assume this is what GA was referring to, not semi auto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BArsReYsx8g

mustangfreek
22 March 2019, 14:50
Some good info here.thanks

Ya I’m just repeating what others are saying.... soaking up the info

Keep on going...[BD]

gatordev
22 March 2019, 18:02
I am guessing bolt action. Very few if any semi autos would be hearing safe...

Action isn't what makes something hearing-safe. It only determines the various levels of noise. At the end of the day, physics will always win. Anything going super-sonic will make a significant noise. A can can't stop that, only the "explosion" that makes it go. This is where I think people get silly. There is always hope that the next can will be quieter, but at the end of the day, you can't beat external noises.

A normal 5.56 load is going to be loud because it's going supersonic. A .308 round is going to be louder because it's a bigger mass moving through the air causing a collapse of said air. In the same vein, this is why supersonic bullets are loud, but supersonic airplanes can break windows. A suppressor isn't going to change that. Honestly I think this becomes much easier to understand when standing downrange when a round is fired. The report of the rifle isn't the audible concern, it's the bullet passing by.

Joelski
22 March 2019, 18:21
The easiest way to teach someone the difference is to take their muffs away. Subsonic + can = generally hearing safe. Super + no can = skull cracker.

Joelski
22 March 2019, 18:33

And Griffin’s taper works just fine. The top thread has a tapered surface and I’ve never had one get carbon locked before.

The dude is a narcissistic doucher of the highest order. He stole .300 BLK too. The .300 Whisper was designed up the road in Cadiz. The theory looked plausible. I've only got 4k-ish rounds through my Alpha so far, and I've never so much as looked down the bore. It works great, although the stories of stuck muzzle devices kinda says to me they should put wrench flats on the MD's. and matching ones on the ass end of the suppressor to negate red loctite for any length of time as a solution to a stuck can.

alamo5000
23 March 2019, 00:57
Action isn't what makes something hearing-safe. It only determines the various levels of noise. At the end of the day, physics will always win. Anything going super-sonic will make a significant noise. A can can't stop that, only the "explosion" that makes it go. This is where I think people get silly. There is always hope that the next can will be quieter, but at the end of the day, you can't beat external noises.

A normal 5.56 load is going to be loud because it's going supersonic. A .308 round is going to be louder because it's a bigger mass moving through the air causing a collapse of said air. In the same vein, this is why supersonic bullets are loud, but supersonic airplanes can break windows. A suppressor isn't going to change that. Honestly I think this becomes much easier to understand when standing downrange when a round is fired. The report of the rifle isn't the audible concern, it's the bullet passing by.

I agree 100%. No disagreement at all. Bullets will create turbulence and there will be the sonic crack. The larger the bullet the larger the crack.

One thing that you left out (that I was referring to) wasn't so much the action but rather the port pop of a semi auto. Hot gas trapped in a tube and when you open that up it creates a boom/pop of it's own. On the muzzle all that is blasted out the front, but on a semi auto hot gas is blasted back down the bore of the gun-- and as soon as the action opens it creates a loud pop. This is what makes a lot of guns not hearing safe at the ear, the unsealing of that hot gas at such a close proximity to the shooter's face is noisy aside from just the action.

Bolt action has no such problem. All the gas heads one direction. The supersonic bullet crack, depending on the firearm and length of barrel happens downrange. Exactly how far down range I don't know because it depends on the barrel length and other factors. All I know is port pop is a real thing caused by hot gas escaping out the port when the action opens, which is typically just inches from the shooter's face, and that doesn't happen with a bolt gun.

The bullet turbulence is one thing and the sonic crack is another but all that being blasted in one direction away from the shooter with a longer barrel on a bolt gun certainly doesn't hurt.

Here are a couple of cool videos that I think are applicable. The first one is from Military Arms and the second from Griffin. The first one shows actual metered down range bullet noise, and the second one clearly demonstrates how 'blast' can be directed away from the shooter. You can fast forward the second video to 4:10 to see actual metered data if you want.

MAC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ_BgeG0P1o

Griffin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7wM_7kAv6g

Both principles are at play.

alamo5000
23 March 2019, 01:13
If I am not mistaken the sonic crack of a .30 cal bullet independent of any gun noise (just purely flight noise) will be dependent upon the bullet design but it's generally around 140ish DB.

But what also happens is an unsuppressed shot sends sound waves out in a much more circular cone pattern, like throwing a rock in a pond. With a bolt action and a suppressor it's more like a mushroom.

alamo5000
23 March 2019, 01:29
More nerd videos. Interesting stuff. Ultra high speed footage that captures the muzzle blast unsuppressed and suppressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPwdlEgLn5Q

Second video is specifically regarding suppressors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAR4yTYslkk

gatordev
23 March 2019, 08:46
One thing that you left out (that I was referring to) wasn't so much the action but rather the port pop of a semi auto. Hot gas trapped in a tube and when you open that up it creates a boom/pop of it's own. On the muzzle all that is blasted out the front, but on a semi auto hot gas is blasted back down the bore of the gun-- and as soon as the action opens it creates a loud pop. This is what makes a lot of guns not hearing safe at the ear, the unsealing of that hot gas at such a close proximity to the shooter's face is noisy aside from just the action.

I knew what you were saying, and agree, port noise is loud, but how loud is the action noise? How much of the loudness is the gas and how much of it is the action moving back and forth? A rhetorical question, but the point is constantly being subjected to noise at a fixed frequency, even if it's "hearing safe" still has the potential to cause damage. I cringe when I'm in a bullet's supersonic cone without muffs because it hurts a little (happens regularly at matches) but I don't cringe at port pop the same way. But I don't want to subject myself to either if I can help it.

But we're in agreement, a can can't really help either substantially.

alamo5000
23 March 2019, 09:48
but how loud is the action noise? How much of the loudness is the gas and how much of it is the action moving back and forth? A rhetorical question, but the point is constantly being subjected to noise at a fixed frequency, even if it's "hearing safe" still has the potential to cause damage.

115 to 120 approximately [:D] Tack on another 25ish decibels for port pop on a standard AR15.

The real question for me that I haven't seen tested is how fast the sound dissipates with distance. For example a 145DB port pop going off a few inches from your face is clearly loud AF, but if you put that same 145DB 3x as far away how does it dissipate? Super nerd stuff and it's getting into the point of just sciency stuff but it would be interesting to learn.

Based on really really rough math in my head the sound dissipates about 8 DB roughly 24 inches away from the shooter's face when shooting suppressed on a bolt action vs semi auto. That's just a general estimate.

alamo5000
23 March 2019, 10:13
I can't help it that I am a total nerd, but I find all this stuff fascinating. [BD] The science part of firearms scratches my brain and it's awesome fun to blast stuff as well.

Gathering data like this is more ways to build better stuff and as a customer to buy things that are more awesome.

UWone77
23 March 2019, 11:09
Or... you could just wear ears...

Former11B
23 March 2019, 11:25
Or... you could just wear ears...

I do 99% of the time BUUUUUT if I go hunting, at the ear suppression is good because I don’t wear ear pro in the woods

UWone77
23 March 2019, 13:17
I do 99% of the time BUUUUUT if I go hunting, at the ear suppression is good because I don’t wear ear pro in the woods

I don't hunt myself, but I see where you're coming from. I always wear ears, even with a can. Can't get back hearing when you lose it.

VIPER 237
23 March 2019, 13:41
Port noise reduction is one of the reasons I like the OSS designs over the traditional baffle design, it’s quieter to the ear even if it’s louder at the muzzle, but as others have noted, past 100 yards or so you’re going to hear the supersonic crack much louder than the muzzle noise, so I prefer a quieter port noise than at the muzzle reading.

gatordev
23 March 2019, 14:34
115 to 120 approximately [:D] Tack on another 25ish decibels for port pop on a standard AR15.

I figured values were out there. But still, 140-ish dB for port noise? Yikes! That will add up. Like UW said, just wear ears.

The single-biggest reason on why the discussion/argument still has validity. I don't hunt either, but I can totally understand the concern. At least the exposure is pretty minimal, relative to range plinking.

Joelski
23 March 2019, 15:36
I don't hunt myself, but I see where you're coming from. I always wear ears, even with a can. Can't get back hearing when you lose it.

I dig the compromise of electronic hearing protection combined with earbuds. Not as good as plugs and a headset, but still better than plugs only and you can hear everything below 90-100 db.

alamo5000
23 March 2019, 17:34
No problem wearing ears but I still like to see how far things can be pushed. Not in being dumb and just ignoring safety but like was said earlier, "evolution".

At some point I think cans will get to somewhat of a plateau in performance, but I also think the next big wave in advancements will be in the ammo.

Blended metals, polymer bullets, injection molding of projectiles, dual metal bullets, ultra high BC designs, and much more efficient and cleaner powders too are just a few things.

How to make ultra long range, better terminal ballistics etc are all up.

I tinkered around with my own loads and unconventional bullet and powder combinations, and while I don't have a fancy meter I notice full reliability and very reduced sound signatures.

On Rex Reviews YouTube channel a few years ago he tested down range sound on ultra high BC bullets and the flight noise was substantially reduced.

In other words I think the suppressor is obviously vital but we are just barely getting into the realm of possibilities in the big picture of things. Things like shooting a .30 cal bullet out past a grand or more but having downrange flight noise be like that of a. 22 LR.

20 years from now we will look back going wow.

UWone77
23 March 2019, 17:40
They've literally plateau'ed. Other than OSS, they're all baffle stack designs. Other than new materials and alloys that last longer and mounting systems, I have literally seen and heard little innovation in the suppressor arena. Look at the "new" designs the last decade. Modularity, multicaliber, length, ect have been addressed as well as what I already listed, but almost ZERO improvement in db reduction.

My AAC M4-1000 18T was my first can in 2011. Still barely notice the difference between that one and a Silencerco Saker K 29 cans later.

I think a lot of manufacturers have realized this, which has given rise to the K cans. Shorter, less sound suppression, but it doesn't matter as people want shorter cans and a lot of people already wear ear pro.

Joelski
24 March 2019, 07:39
I want a KAC mini CQB but damn...

mustangfreek
24 March 2019, 10:53
Some good info came out of this

Ya me too..[:D]

alamo5000
24 March 2019, 12:36
Some good info came out of this

If you can't tell, I love talking nerdy. The nerdier the better. [:D]

gatordev
24 March 2019, 14:07

What is it that makes it "it" for you? I'm not arguing, as I understand it's pretty light, but it also seems about as loud to the ear as other Mini cans when I've seen it shot (I understand the numbers might be a little lower).

Joelski
24 March 2019, 14:21
What is it that makes it "it" for you? I'm not arguing, as I understand it's pretty light, but it also seems about as loud to the ear as other Mini cans when I've seen it shot (I understand the numbers might be a little lower).

I just dig KAC stuff. Plus I think it would look cool on my mostly KAC rifle.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190324/bf48864d77e05a0b93ded69b00a94d32.jpg

UWone77
24 March 2019, 15:21
Who doesn't love a good KAC Mini Can.

gatordev
24 March 2019, 18:26
I just dig KAC stuff. Plus I think it would look cool on my mostly KAC rifle.

Fair enough!

Who doesn't love a good KAC Mini Can.

Nerd. And it's not even FDE. Does it even work in that color?

mustangfreek
24 March 2019, 18:35
God damnit that’s a beautiful rifle..

Fair enough!

Nerd. And it's not even FDE. Does it even work in that color?

Haha...nerd I like it..

Ya where’s the fde

Former11B
24 March 2019, 19:13
A $3 can of Rustoleum rights many wrongs

mustangfreek
24 March 2019, 19:25
Shit I couldn’t even spray paint over that mofo...looks too good...lol

Joelski
24 March 2019, 19:58
This one's still waiting for Axlnut paint. Kinda scared about breaking it down and mailing it away.

Kris, if you have any tips on packing, I'm all ears. I want to get this thing done the way we discussed if you still even remember.

This needs some disruption. Maybe some fishnet.

UWone77
24 March 2019, 20:18
I've shipped many firearms in my life for work, trades, ect.

I wrap them individually as parts in bubble wrap. Haven't had any issues ever.

Joelski
25 March 2019, 03:35
This one's still waiting for Axlnut paint. Kinda scared about breaking it down and mailing it away.

Kris, if you have any tips on packing, I'm all ears. I want to get this thing done the way we discussed if you still even remember.

This needs some disruption. Maybe some fishnet.

I've shipped many firearms in my life for work, trades, ect.

I wrap them individually as parts in bubble wrap. Haven't had any issues ever.You haven't, but shipping partners... remember the barrel that took a powder in the middle of its trip?

UWone77
25 March 2019, 09:54
You haven't, but shipping partners... remember the barrel that took a powder in the middle of its trip?

I don't... remind of this story.

Joelski
25 March 2019, 14:08
I don't... remind of this story.

Blackout barrel I bought from you. It started off great and disappeared in transit for almost 3 weeks. Neither of us to blame, it was all the P.O. people.

UWone77
26 March 2019, 16:04
Totally forgot about that. I thought you were more referring to items being damaged in transit.

Have had a few close calls with USPS losing packages, but ultimately they were all found.

UPS has lost several for me. Never to be seen again

Fedex so far has been flawless for me.

BoilerUp
27 March 2019, 20:50
Am I missing something? When I watch the SS range time videos, the Recce 5 provides 38db reduction (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=63&v=rh6LAbjH03I), whereas the Explorr EX2 provides 29db reduction (https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/griffin-explorr-ex2-rtr?redirect_mongo_id=5c9b7e0ffafe6f003e67e17e&utm_source=Springbot&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=3-27-19%2520%255BCMMG%2520Pistols%255D) for a 16" 5.56. The Explorr is 3 ounces lighter and 0.3" shorter, but that doesn't seem worth the trade for 9db.

Former11B
27 March 2019, 22:15
Am I missing something? When I watch the SS range time videos, the Recce 5 provides 38db reduction (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=63&v=rh6LAbjH03I), whereas the Explorr EX2 provides 29db reduction (https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/griffin-explorr-ex2-rtr?redirect_mongo_id=5c9b7e0ffafe6f003e67e17e&utm_source=Springbot&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=3-27-19%2520%255BCMMG%2520Pistols%255D) for a 16" 5.56. The Explorr is 3 ounces lighter and 0.3" shorter, but that doesn't seem worth the trade for 9db.

I read on ARFCOM that there was some dispute about data from SS’s older meter setup and it being good but not exact. I’ll have to dig it up. 38dB is a huge reduction for 5.56mm...

MAC’s testing of the Recce 5 on a 16” rifle with IWI M193 brought the rifle from 167 to 133avg (34dB reduction tied only by the full-size SpecWar 5.56.)

So a 5dB trade off between 29 and 34dB (3dB is a noticeable difference to the human ear) for the size and weight savings. And again not sure if those numbers are directly comparable given different rifles, ammo, conditions, etc

I’ve got a Recce 5 and an Optimus Micro. I love them both but the EX2 seems like a combination of the two....I’d love to throw on an EX2 for a tad more suppression over the OPM and some weight loss over the Recce 5

The EX3/7.62 version is on my list for this year.

alamo5000
27 March 2019, 22:43
SS said the Recce 5 is one of the quietest muzzle 5.56 cans out there that they've ever tested. That said the Explorr 5.56 gives up about 6 to 9 Db of muzzle and has about the same at the port.

Here is the specific test of the Explorr 5.56 video from SS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls7CkMlr9zE

138.54 Db at the muzzle and 143.97 at the ear.

The recce 5's video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6LAbjH03I&index=19&list=PLWBUXMGwmSvQat4Ck6YK450wHwNxY3jQP

129.7 at the muzzle and 144.1 at the ear. The recce 5 was 8.84 DB quieter at the muzzle and no real difference at the ear.

The explorr in 5.56 loses both weight and length at a slight muzzle penalty but considering the port noise and what you lose in size and weight it's two different things. If you were shooting a bolt gun though... Recce 5 would win that battle on paper. On an AR not so much. The Explorr is .3 inches shorter and 2.9oz lighter than the Recce 5. The recce 5's tests were done using 55gr ammo and the Explorr using 62gr ammo.

---

The 30 cal cans compared here. Recce 7 on a 308 bolt gun 134.9 at the muzzle and 130.8 at the ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGDzcO-Lbo&list=PLWBUXMGwmSvQat4Ck6YK450wHwNxY3jQP&index=18

On 300 BLK it metered 127.3 at the muzzle and 133.6 at the ear.

For the Explorr 30 cal version look here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BArsReYsx8g

139.73 on a 308 bolt gun and 131.17 at the ear. Basically about 5Db loss at the muzzle and I call it equal at the ear (less than 1DB).

On 300 BLK 129.54 at the muzzle and 130.57 at the ear. +2.24 DB at the muzzle but -3 DB at the ear. 220 grain ammo tested on the explorr and 187 grain subs on the Recce 7.

Keep in mind it is significantly shorter and lighter and STILL was 3DB quieter at the ear in albeit not exactly equal tests. I will probably get an explorr 30 cal for a dedicated 300 BLK can simply because it's way smaller and lighter. 1.2 inches shorter and 5 oz lighter. Until someone proves me wrong it's a clear winner in the 300 BLK realm thus far.

***Caveat to the numbers listed above----they used different ammo---grain weights and so forth in all the tests in everything except 308 where they used 168 grain in both tests***

alamo5000
27 March 2019, 22:45
Video review of the Explorr 6.5 can. I will probably pick up one of these. No metering data here but still good information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyb1aAbYZCk

alamo5000
27 March 2019, 23:45

One test was using 55 grain ammo and the other 62 grain ammo so not exactly equal tests. The ear noise was almost equal but muzzle was a big difference.

Former11B
28 March 2019, 05:36
One test was using 55 grain ammo and the other 62 grain ammo so not exactly equal tests. The ear noise was almost equal but muzzle was a big difference.

Testing conditions, temperature, surroundings etc all make for variances.

I would like to see Griffin, SS, MAC, etc run a Recce 5 & 7 side by side with an EXPLORR .224/.30. Id send the ammo (or do the test myself if I had

Joelski
28 March 2019, 07:26
Nobody without a police commission is going to take advantage of shorter, it's all about what looks the coolest. It boils down to 2 missions for the shooting public: Are you buying it to look cool, or be quiet? I like Griffin, but it seems they're playing this one to the look like a cool guy market. For my time and money, make mine as quiet as possible. Give me an M-110-style footlong any day.

alamo5000
28 March 2019, 08:00
Testing conditions, temperature, surroundings etc all make for variances.

I would like to see Griffin, SS, MAC, etc run a Recce 5 & 7 side by side with an EXPLORR .224/.30. Id send the ammo (or do the test myself if I had

I want to see a heads up between the 5/7 and Explorr series too. I emailed them and asked for it directly. No response yet.

alamo5000
28 March 2019, 08:06
Nobody without a police commission is going to take advantage of shorter, it's all about what looks the coolest. It boils down to 2 missions for the shooting public: Are you buying it to look cool, or be quiet? I like Griffin, but it seems they're playing this one to the look like a cool guy market. For my time and money, make mine as quiet as possible. Give me an M-110-style footlong any day.

I would have to disagree with you here. Shorter and lighter means a much more balanced gun for many. Nothing to do with cool. Cool is also a subjective term. I would go with shorter and lighter on my 300 BLK because the whole thing is designed to be short. If I can knock off an inch and 5 oz and still get the same performance...

What "I" think is Griffin is makng their life easier and company more profitable. Those cans like the Explorr are easier to make and easier to service. They also seem to acknowlege the whole muzzle vs port thing. If you make a muzzle whisper quiet but you have a 145 DB port pop, who cares what the muzzle is. It seems to me, rather than 'cool' that these Explorr are more balanced gas wise for semi auto but also much lighter, shorter and easier to fix when/if broken and probably easier/cheaper to manufacture.

Joelski
28 March 2019, 09:11
I have to admit I've never given a thought to balance and heft... at the range, or more realistically in my back yard. I'm not hunting with my AR's, and I don't have space/size constraints, so I tend to shoot larger guns. The SBR is a novelty; sure, I dig it and it makes me smile very biggly, but for a one gun solution it'll be a 14.5" or longer and the bipod or a pack can support all that nose-heavy weight.

UWone77
28 March 2019, 10:18
I don't know about you, but even when running drills, I'd rather not have an 8-9" can. Since I still wear earpro with suppressors, I'd pretty much migrated all over the K cans.

alamo5000
28 March 2019, 10:26
I have to admit I've never given a thought to balance and heft... at the range, or more realistically in my back yard. I'm not hunting with my AR's, and I don't have space/size constraints, so I tend to shoot larger guns. The SBR is a novelty; sure, I dig it and it makes me smile very biggly, but for a one gun solution it'll be a 14.5" or longer and the bipod or a pack can support all that nose-heavy weight.

For the bulk of my shooting (traditionally) I have been right there with you. Out in the back 950 acres not much space constraints....but since I got here (to Wevo) I expanded my horizons. I built my first AR here on the forum. Now I have three, two of which are SBR's...at least once I get that second stamp back.

I also think Griffin realized that with this line of Explorr series they realized that a 130 DB muzzle and a 144 DB port at that point is kind of over doing it in some respects. On a bolt gun yeah, but on an AR if they can trim weight and length and balance the gas mitigation (sort of like OSS school of thought) it is all a wash when it comes to the shooter. On paper is one thing, but real world is something else. 140 at the muzzle and 143 at the ear still requires ear pro but it allows for a different type of gas management. Which is what I think they did here.

Aside from technical stuff, I think just pure business wise look at where the Explorr are marked. They adopted this as have many other companies. If you get a baffle strike they can just saw it off and put more baffles on there and send it out. Makes life easier for them as a company, and I would venture to say a slight bit cheaper as a company to manufacture.

alamo5000
28 March 2019, 10:30
I don't know about you, but even when running drills, I'd rather not have an 8-9" can. Since I still wear earpro with suppressors, I'd pretty much migrated all over the K cans.

When I first started out I couldn't figure out why ANYONE would want a K can for the life of me. Since I have been running around shooting more SBR than anything for the past few years my opinions have changed. Not changed, but rather formed. If you are going to wear muffs and plugs or both shorter and lighter is better for running around doing cop or swat or some military type stuff, or even 3 gun for that matter.

Totally different game than say hunting where you are quietly stalking or waiting on an animal to appear.

Still though if you are inside of a car or small room and pull the trigger on almost anything, that will rattle your brains.

mustangfreek
28 March 2019, 14:47
I don’t have a can but I’m gonna pick the shorter can for a do all things kinda gun and leave the foot long dong for my mod 1 or similar...lol

Alamo-ya id like to see them do a test between the Reece 5/7 and these explorr cans.