PDA

View Full Version : Magpul PMAGS vs Metal Mags

alamo5000
4 April 2019, 16:42
I have a OK stash of PMAGS, nothing too UWone77 crazy, but over time I would like to add to the essentials.

With that said what are your thoughts on mixing it up with some metal mags and if so, what are the best ones and why?

Thanks.

UWone77
4 April 2019, 16:52
Gen 3 mags are pretty much the best PMAG, I've broken plenty of Gen 1's and 2's, so I won't stock those more than what I already have. Too many broken feed lips.

In fact Lancer mags are my go-to.

D&H, NHMTG, OKAY Industries, Brownells, all Good to go as far as Metal Mags go. Surefeed as well.

I'd just go with the best deal you can find.

voodoo_man
4 April 2019, 17:12
best deal...+1

If I can get a 30rnd mag under $8.50 I usually buy it (especially in bulk)

alamo5000
4 April 2019, 18:18
Gen 3 mags are pretty much the best PMAG, I've broken plenty of Gen 1's and 2's, so I won't stock those more than what I already have. Too many broken feed lips.

In fact Lancer mags are my go-to.

D&H, NHMTG, OKAY Industries, Brownells, all Good to go as far as Metal Mags go. Surefeed as well.

I'd just go with the best deal you can find.

I have a stack of Gen 3 pmags. That's all I have. Most are still in the package or rather box. I have to see how many I have but I want to get some more 20 round mags too for prone shooting.

Like I said when money rolls around and deals are to be had I want to have my essentials stacked deep.

I don't have a problem with magpul mags at all. I'm just wanting to be ready for when I have money and see a good deal. I can get a different flavor of vanilla in 20 and 30 round varieties.

mustangfreek
4 April 2019, 19:15
I don’t have enough of either...lol

I don’t have many gen 3 mags, mostly gen 2 and a handful of lancers. I have broken 1 pang, well rather the feed lip, but that was a gen 1.

I don’t have many metal mags, seems as the ones I do, the std follower and spring gotta get replaced with Magpul ones. I’d like to add a bunch of metal ones.

alamo5000
4 April 2019, 19:56
The box I have is about 16" x 24" long and about a foot deep. It's full. Not sure how many mags they put in one of those. All in the package Gen3. I should be ok for a while but I want a lot more 20 round mags as well.

Former11B
4 April 2019, 20:14
I like PMags simply because they don’t scratch the heck out of the brass for reloading like USGI mags do

mustangfreek
4 April 2019, 22:33
I’m with ya on needing more 20’s

I like PMags simply because they don’t scratch the heck out of the brass for reloading like USGI mags do

+1

alamo5000
4 April 2019, 22:48

This is vital information for me. Thanks!

I have no reason to deviate from PMags or go metal other than just to say I did, but I would be interested in trying out something new. That said marring up brass since I am all about reloading is definitely a big deal.

RiverRat
5 April 2019, 09:34
I've also had trouble with distorted lips and rear seams on Gen 2 PMags. There's a reason they discontinued the FDE version early, they were even less durable.

PMag20 and Pmag30 Gen 3, no issues so far. I also usually prefer the 20 rounders for general use with some 30 round versions for the chest rigs. If it were legal in Colorado, I would probably add to the stock :::looks side to side:::

Metal mags, limited use compared to the PMags but haven't had any real problems with any of them I've tried yet.

Former11B
5 April 2019, 10:28
I have put tens of thousands of rounds through mainly USGI mags (Colt/Center/Okay etc) and then PMags (Gen 1-3). I’ve seen basically every type of failure imaginable. Feed lips on USGI mags can usually be bent back into shape whereas polymer mags are done when they’re done.

I’ve had six FDE Gen 2 20’s since 2012 or so and I still have them. They aren’t used hard, mainly they go hunting with me or get toted around the farm in a rifle or back pocket. So far so good

FortTom
5 April 2019, 13:42
I'm like voodoo, when I catch PMAG's on sale, I usually buy another 10 or twenty. I really don't know how many I have now, but it's a bunch. Have about 20 metal mags, that I changed followers in. My 6.8 SPC mags are all metal from Barrett's. I do need to catch a good sale on .308 mags. I've never had any Lancer, but I thought UW was a Magpul "worshiper".[adore]

FT[:D]

UWone77
5 April 2019, 15:26
I'm like voodoo, when I catch PMAG's on sale, I usually buy another 10 or twenty. I really don't know how many I have now, but it's a bunch. Have about 20 metal mags, that I changed followers in. My 6.8 SPC mags are all metal from Barrett's. I do need to catch a good sale on .308 mags. I've never had any Lancer, but I thought UW was a Magpul "worshiper".[adore]

FT[:D]

I like Magpul Stocks, CTR, STR, ACS, UBR to some extent, and MOE grips usually make it on my guns, but other than that, I have no loyalties to Magpul.

mustangfreek
5 April 2019, 16:47
+1 to needing more 308 mags..

...the lancer ones look good but cost about double

Joelski
5 April 2019, 16:56
Wish to heck they'd still offer the Gen 1 UBR!

mustangfreek
5 April 2019, 16:58
Wish to heck they'd still offer the Gen 1 UBR!

You can still find them, just seen one last nite for sale on ar15dotcom

FortTom
5 April 2019, 17:11
I like Magpul Stocks, CTR, STR, ACS, UBR to some extent, and MOE grips usually make it on my guns, but other than that, I have no loyalties to Magpul.

Just kidding. Remember that one guy who you had to ban for being an a$$hole and called us all a bunch of magpul worshipers?

I thought that had to be some kind of record, getting banned on a forum after 2 or 3 posts.[:D]

VIPER 237
5 April 2019, 17:37
IMO the gen3 is the best mag available on the market right now. A few years ago I was involved with a t&e team for a manufacturer and we had an assortment of mags from lancer, hex, 2amend, okay, d&h, and Magpul, and the Magpul’s lasted the longest by far, in fact there was zero magazine related malfunctions with the gen 3’s, and two had just over 10k rounds fired each. Hex and 2amend are junk, don’t waste your time, the okays lasted longer than the d&h, and the lancers had issues when they got dirty.

alamo5000
5 April 2019, 19:15
IMO the gen3 is the best mag available on the market right now. A few years ago I was involved with a t&e team for a manufacturer and we had an assortment of mags from lancer, hex, 2amend, okay, d&h, and Magpul, and the Magpul’s lasted the longest by far, in fact there was zero magazine related malfunctions with the gen 3’s, and two had just over 10k rounds fired each. Hex and 2amend are junk, don’t waste your time, the okays lasted longer than the d&h, and the lancers had issues when they got dirty.

If I can get 10K rounds per mag I will be good for a while, but like I said there are some things that are never too much. Powder, bullets, brass, primers, mags or all sorts, etc.

I probably should just save up and wait for a good deal to buy Gen 3 pmags in bulk and just figure that they will wear out after a while. I have about half a dozen that are in my day to day rotation and I've never have a problem with them.

I was thinking about getting metal mags just because but it seems like there are pros and cons.

Pros: they work. The lips can get dented up but pushed back into place.

Cons: they can mangle brass. The feed lips can get dented or bent out of place.

For plastic mags of any variety once they get beat up and cracked they are toast.

I still want to top off my pistol mags as well. When I buy a pistol 95% of the time I buy half a dozen or more mags even if I don't use them and just have a couple or three that are daily range mags.

If I won the lottery I could just buy all the stuff I want but since I'm still waiting on that I have to plan out purchases more carefully or just save up and buy when I can.

Stone
6 April 2019, 21:50
Guess I'm going to be the odd man out on this thread. I have had nothing but issues with the Gen3 Pmags. My LWRC's dont like them and several of my DI's dont like them either. Failure to lock back on the last round and some feeding issues as well. Theres slop in the magwell with them that I only see on these. I bought 10 of them when they first came out. They changed the geomatry on them from the Gen2 to fit more applications if I remember correctly. I have 24 Gen2 pmags that are kept with the training ammo and I have like 4 Gen3's mixed in just because I know I will have a malfunction with them and helps with the training. The Gen2's have umpteen thousands of rounds through them and have been beat to hell and they keep coming back for more. I have thought about picking up some metal mags in the past just for the experience. Like others have said though the Gen2's can be had for $8 a piece on sale and I usually add a dozen or so to the cart. They are like bic lighters, use them up and toss them when they break...

Stone
6 April 2019, 21:59
These were taken way back when they first came out. Folks were having issues with them locking back on the last round with an assortment of rifle manufacturers. It was determined the rear of the mag on the gen3 was thicker which pushed the follower forward out past the bolt catch on some rifles. The bolt catch catch would drop behind the follower pinching it up. Maybe Magpul fixed this but the Gen2's work well for me, so since it aint broke...

mustangfreek
6 April 2019, 23:24
Huh...never hear that before..good info..

Former11B
7 April 2019, 03:28
If you want to trade any unfired Gen 3s for unfired Gen 2s, let me know

Guess I'm going to be the odd man out on this thread. I have had nothing but issues with the Gen3 Pmags. My LWRC's dont like them and several of my DI's dont like them either. Failure to lock back on the last round and some feeding issues as well. Theres slop in the magwell with them that I only see on these. I bought 10 of them when they first came out. They changed the geomatry on them from the Gen2 to fit more applications if I remember correctly. I have 24 Gen2 pmags that are kept with the training ammo and I have like 4 Gen3's mixed in just because I know I will have a malfunction with them and helps with the training. The Gen2's have umpteen thousands of rounds through them and have been beat to hell and they keep coming back for more. I have thought about picking up some metal mags in the past just for the experience. Like others have said though the Gen2's can be had for $8 a piece on sale and I usually add a dozen or so to the cart. They are like bic lighters, use them up and toss them when they break...

Stone
7 April 2019, 08:18
Thanks for the offer. If I still had them I would do it, gave several of them away and kept a few for training...