PDA

View Full Version : Customizable Pistol Discussion (not just Glock)

alamo5000
13 April 2019, 11:30
I have never been a Glock fanboy... nothing against them but nothing really attracts me to them either. The only thing really attracting me to Glock is the support for it. You can get a Glock mag anywhere and more importantly there are a gazillion mods you can make. The 'pimp Glock' is the main thing that would even remotely attract me to Glock.

That said I would think Glock is the #1 (by far) customizable pistols out there.

Recently though I discovered this guy.... Tactical Toolbox... I watched this video and he brought up some good stuff to discuss that could run off into 100 rabbit holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fd6R8UPAwg

According to him an M&P 2.0 is another highly customizable pistol (other than Glock).

And another one that he mentions is a CZ P10C.

It is also worth noting that I found I place that sells crazy good aftermarket triggers for Sig pistols too.

I am by no means an expert but that seems to be the pecking order of after market support.... Glock, M&P, CZ, and marginally Sig.

Specifically I am interested more in triggers than anything (for now). Barrels are important too but to a lesser degree. I would like to drop in a barrel for say carry and then be able to drop in a threaded barrel to shoot suppressed if I want.

Basically what can we come up with in terms of highly customizable pistols (with the trigger at the forefront)? It doesn't have to be on my list...I don't know much...so add as needed.

I replaced the trigger in my 226 and it's like a totally different gun. That said it would be kind of nice to start on a project pistol... starting with triggers, but after that--- what are the ones you would recommend for being able to have a customizable gun?

Note: Right now I don't own a striker fired gun anymore. All are hammer fired. I just have a thing for it. But if I can get a nice trigger and some after market support I would be all over it. Several CZ pistols have my eye...

I would also be curious to know what kind of cash you guys put into a your customizations of your pistols? (Carry or otherwise).

alamo5000
13 April 2019, 11:31
FWIW I have no idea about the numbering systems, specifically about Glocks. If you talk Glock this part will lose me.

mustangfreek
13 April 2019, 12:05
So what are you asking exactly.....[BD]

I don’t really like glocks either...lol..there bulky in there own way and the grip just bugs me more and more. especially after getting a m&p again after getting rid of one I had years ago.

The triggers in the Glock really aren’t that great , no matter what you do. Yes you can make them better.

But as you say , the support is huge. And they just flat fucking work. I daily a g19, it was by choice but I do want something else. Another thread.

But as far as striker fired guns , besides the m&p , the cz p10c factory trigger is so much better then any I’ve ever felt. The Ergos are good, the texture is aggressive but not too bad. Mag release is different to get use to.

As far as sigs, never owned one. Just not my thing I guess, don’t like the triggers. There overpriced in my opinion, unless we’re talking a nice German piece.

alamo5000
13 April 2019, 12:11
So what are you asking exactly.....[BD]

What are my choices for customizable guns (other than Glock)?

One sentence answer...LOL! It's my record.

---

Glock has everyone and his brother making parts for it, but I am not that attracted to Glock (but could be persuaded otherwise). Included in that the numbering system of Glocks---I don't have a clue about that. 17,19, 43... and about fourteen other number designations kinds of turns me off.

UWone77
13 April 2019, 12:23
M&P's, Sigs, CZ's, lots of mods for those. FN 509's are getting some love too. If it's a platform a lot of people buy, there will be mods for it.

mustangfreek
13 April 2019, 12:29
Other then Glock

M&P’s don’t quite have the following/support but with the new 2.0’s, there hard to beat. Triggers out of the box absolutely suck and a Apex makes for a awesome trigger for a striker fire.

Not much support at all but growing is the CZ’s, never really been a big fan until I fondled a couple p10c’s.

It will be my next striker fired gun. Mags are expensive and there’s a few trigger options to make it even better..

You should pick one up next time your at the local gun shop..

mustangfreek
13 April 2019, 12:30
Oh and instead of writing it out, here’s s somewhat up to date Glock breakdown

Jerry R
13 April 2019, 13:31
I hate to toss 1911 into the "customizable Pistol" category since I think you are asking about user custom work, but ... [BD]

Decades ago, I assembled one from scratch to learn the platform. I learned there are limits a "home-hack" like me can do; springs,trigger, sights (if they fit the original cuts), external parts like the safety and slide release. Minor fitting isn't too difficult on small parts. Real custom work on the frame and slide tend to take a professional gunsmith, or equipment I can't afford, and don't have the talent to use. You can add drop-in barrels for comps and cans too. So, with all that taken into consideration, it sort of fits your question.

UWone77
13 April 2019, 15:05
One thing I'll add for Custom Glocks... the frames vs any other gun is the most readily available. There are tons of OEM frames, 80% frames, aftermarket frames. Not so much when you look at others.... and can be had on the cheap if you look hard. At one point I was able to get 17/19 frames for $50 each.

In fact, when I bought a Faxon Hellfire Slide for an M&P9, I scoured the web for a M&P frame. Could not find one anywhere except on gunbroker and a few other auction sites. Average price $250 for a complete frame. What I ended up having to do was buy a complete M&P40 from AIM Surplus for $250. Got the entire gun for $250, stripped off the frame, and am now contemplating selling the slide.

alamo5000
13 April 2019, 20:25
Other then Glock

M&P’s don’t quite have the following/support but with the new 2.0’s, there hard to beat. Triggers out of the box absolutely suck and a Apex makes for a awesome trigger for a striker fire.

Not much support at all but growing is the CZ’s, never really been a big fan until I fondled a couple p10c’s.

It will be my next striker fired gun. Mags are expensive and there’s a few trigger options to make it even better..

You should pick one up next time your at the local gun shop..
That CZ looks pretty good. That's one that I'm eyeballing. I've never been huge on striker fired pistols. I've always been attracted to things that are metal and hammer fired.

That said I have this thing where I want to expand out into other day to day guns.

I bought a kahr once and never again. Loved the gun but hated the trigger so bad.

I'm thinking I should try more options. I've owned a few striker pistols but they never grew on me, mainly because of the triggers.

I hate to toss 1911 into the "customizable Pistol" category since I think you are asking about user custom work, but ... [BD]

Decades ago, I assembled one from scratch to learn the platform. I learned there are limits a "home-hack" like me can do; springs,trigger, sights (if they fit the original cuts), external parts like the safety and slide release. Minor fitting isn't too difficult on small parts. Real custom work on the frame and slide tend to take a professional gunsmith, or equipment I can't afford, and don't have the talent to use. You can add drop-in barrels for comps and cans too. So, with all that taken into consideration, it sort of fits your question.

OMG man, what are you trying to do? Make me go broke? LOL! [BD]

I'm a huge fan of fine weapons. STI, Volquartsen, nice 1911s, etc.

There is something about metal guns that you just never get with plastic.

I could spend a lot of money on really nice pistols of that nature.

One thing I'll add for Custom Glocks... the frames vs any other gun is the most readily available. There are tons of OEM frames, 80% frames, aftermarket frames. Not so much when you look at others.... and can be had on the cheap if you look hard. At one point I was able to get 17/19 frames for $50 each.

In fact, when I bought a Faxon Hellfire Slide for an M&P9, I scoured the web for a M&P frame. Could not find one anywhere except on gunbroker and a few other auction sites. Average price $250 for a complete frame. What I ended up having to do was buy a complete M&P40 from AIM Surplus for $250. Got the entire gun for $250, stripped off the frame, and am now contemplating selling the slide.

That's the thing about Glock. You can buy the frame and just build what you want.

Although the grip on a Glock is about as nice as a 2x4 that kind of ground up customization is very nice.

Being real though since I'm thinking about giving striker firing another go I might just try it out incrementally.

A nice trigger is the most valuable thing in my opinion and the rest is just nice to have.

I could be wrong about that all together.

It would be nice to go somewhere to try before I buy but no telling if that's going to happen.

In the end I'm stuck between Jerry's champagne world and the idea of a pimped out plastic gun with a nice trigger.

Deadwing
15 April 2019, 00:28
The HK VP9 may be something to look at as well. It's got a pretty good trigger to begin with, and the grip is modular from the factory. There are quite a few options for triggers, sights, and other aftermarket parts available. HK is even getting in on the action with barrels and slides. Plus you now have a choice between a paddle or button magazine release.

All that said, my VP9 is bone stock except for the sights. One of my USP9s, however, has had some work done and is one of my favorite pistols to shoot.

Joelski
15 April 2019, 04:36
This has promise. Hoping to see more like it.

Walther Q5 Match Steel Framehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190415/2b9f0265806a4bb0aecd00bbb2b9f337.jpg

Not a fan of beavertails. That curly-queue thing is a horrid mistake. Otherwise, it's a pretty sweet looking pistol.

alamo5000
15 April 2019, 09:09
The HK VP9 may be something to look at as well. It's got a pretty good trigger to begin with, and the grip is modular from the factory. There are quite a few options for triggers, sights, and other aftermarket parts available. HK is even getting in on the action with barrels and slides. Plus you now have a choice between a paddle or button magazine release.

All that said, my VP9 is bone stock except for the sights. One of my USP9s, however, has had some work done and is one of my favorite pistols to shoot.

I am going to make a drive up to a gun store and start looking around. I will add that to my list.

This has promise. Hoping to see more like it.

Walther Q5 Match Steel Framehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190415/2b9f0265806a4bb0aecd00bbb2b9f337.jpg

Not a fan of beavertails. That curly-queue thing is a horrid mistake. Otherwise, it's a pretty sweet looking pistol.

I have a whole list of metal framed guns that I want. There is no shortage in that area. Maybe I didn't say it before but [just one] of the reasons I even asked this question is because I am looking at giving striker fired pistols a second chance. I've owned a few of them and they just never grew on me. That said if I could customize it just enough to replace the trigger and maybe have a after market threaded barrel so it could be a suppressor host that would be good.

I see the value in striker fired guns for carry but metal competition style or just 'finely worked' guns are just fun to shoot.

Joelski
15 April 2019, 10:03
You're in luck. The Q5 is a striker-fired pistol.

alamo5000
15 April 2019, 10:05
I have a little Sig 238 that I might trade off for something. I will go shopping to see "if" and "for what"....

alamo5000
15 April 2019, 12:53
I just went to my local way overpriced gun shop and window shopped.

Here are my findings.

P10C- Very nice gun. Definitely a very strong contender.
Glock 43x and Glock 48. Both very strong contenders.

Since I am more than likely going to trade or sell off the Sig 238 I might wind up with both.

QUESTION:

What is the opinion of the masses on the 43x and 48? How much after market support is there for those guns? [note I am specifically talking about triggers]

The guy at the shop said the Glock 48 and the Glock 19 are pretty much the same gun so my question would be would after market 19 parts (like triggers) work in that 48?

Please tell me what you know about the 43x and the 48. I have my initial thoughts but I am withholding any conclusions until I hear from the Glock crowd.

alamo5000
15 April 2019, 13:22
Apparently Apex says they have after market triggers. I am not familiar with Apex.

Any thoughts? Anything better?

https://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/apex-news/apex-announces-glock-43x-and-glock-48-compatible-triggers/

alamo5000
15 April 2019, 14:10
Another thing to ask about and comment about... sights. Any suggestion for good sights. I don't handle a lot of Glocks but the sights seemed very shitty to me.

Joelski
15 April 2019, 14:20
Apex is good to go. Get the carry version unless this is going to be a range toy. Triggers are a black or white deal with striker guns. You either get something a gnat can discharge, or a fire in anger type action, especially with the NY shit Glock has. I personally don't have a need for a pull less than 5 lbs, as I'm not shooting precision with a pistol, and I want a positive feel. I had a 3# ghost connector and light springs in my 17 and it would ND just thinking about pulling the trigger.

A LOT of people say that there is a difference between dry firing and live fire with the 48. Comments I've seen recently amount to what's a so-so trigger when dry firing, but under live fire, it was a great gun. I don't know, and I don't know if I'll find out. I got my 19 and will be branching into more H&K next. I am after a P30SK for my next compact gun. I love my P30 better than any of my other pistols and Gray Guns can make them as good as anything you can buy this side of an upscale 1911. I liked the VP until I saw the back of it. That loaded chamber indicator is retarded. Why, oh why are so many great makers doing that one thing that ruins the whole damn thing? It's like that sperm squiggly beaver tail on the Q5 Walther.

Joelski
15 April 2019, 14:21
Another thing to ask about and comment about... sights. Any suggestion for good sights. I don't handle a lot of Glocks but the sights seemed very shitty to me.

Glock sights are placeholders for Trijicon HDs. That said, all plastic sights on pistols are shit. They might work, but they should be metal if anything on the gun should.

UWone77
15 April 2019, 15:56
I use Night Fision and Trijicons.

alamo5000
15 April 2019, 15:57
Apparently shitty sights are common to Glock because so far no one has argued with me.[BD]

UWone77
15 April 2019, 16:09
Apparently shitty sights are common to Glock because so far no one has argued with me.[BD]

OEM Glock sights are usable, but normally the first thing people swap out. Plastic $10 sights don't cut the mustard for duty/CCW

alamo5000
15 April 2019, 16:51
OEM Glock sights are usable, but normally the first thing people swap out. Plastic $10 sights don't cut the mustard for duty/CCW

I am thinking I will trade off my .380 and buy both the P10C and the 43x.

If I decide to do that I need to figure out how much the upgrades will be.

For the P10C it's about $60 for the after market trigger and about $230 for a threaded barrel, so an extra say $300 for the P10C, which I could do both or either or later if I wanted to. The barrel could wait. It's primary role would be a carry gun or I could get the threaded one with suppressor sights on it already and have it's primary role be suppressor host.

For the Glock I would definitely swap out sights and probably the trigger. I am guessing about maybe an extra $200?

I am going to sleep on it and see what I come up with.

Stone
15 April 2019, 17:51
I was at the LGS last week and played with the 43x, G48 and the G45. Out of those three I really like the G45. The other two are pocket pistols. The G45 felt good in the hand and besides that God awful trigger shoe safety it had an all around great feel to it. IMO, its the trigger shoe that sucks on glocks. You can hand polish the parts, throw in a Ghost connector and a Kineti tech trigger shoe and polished bar for about $90. Take a look at the Warren Tactical straight eight sights.

alamo5000
15 April 2019, 19:33
I was at the LGS last week and played with the 43x, G48 and the G45. Out of those three I really like the G45. The other two are pocket pistols. The G45 felt good in the hand and besides that God awful trigger shoe safety it had an all around great feel to it. IMO, its the trigger shoe that sucks on glocks. You can hand polish the parts, throw in a Ghost connector and a Kineti tech trigger shoe and polished bar for about $90. Take a look at the Warren Tactical straight eight sights.

I didn't think to ask about a G45 because I don't know anything about Glocks. [BD] I have a little while before I can actually make the purchase...(I spent a good bundle putting together my newest SBR lower) but in say a month or so I would be comfortable buying at least one, maybe two pistols. The thing is I really like to do my homework before I buy stuff.

Most of my conceal carry is done with 'get off me guns'. Maybe not true pocket pistols but not full size either. Just my particular habits.... I wear shorts and sandals whenever possible and I try not pick any fights or even wander into one. It would be nice to carry more rounds but I want to balance that out with the fact that I am not going to be carrying a combat load down to the Circle K. Being sort of pocket pistol (ish) is kind of the point.

I really wish there was some place I could go and try out all the different carrying styles and holsters and guns but for now I am appendix carrying after years of carrying at 4:30. I just don't have the budget to try out every holster type on the planet. If the gun is not comfortable (within reason of carrying) I probably won't carry it on my body. So basically small and comfortable, within reason is good.

As far as the triggers go, I will probably just have to get a consensus about the best options and just buy one or two and try it, that is once I actually purchase another gun or two. I personally hate buying stuff that I haven't tried. That applies to many things. Just rolling the dice isn't my strong suit. This genuinely is one reason among many why WEVO is valuable as gold. So many people here who have tried stuff and will give you the unvarnished reality of things.

One of the reasons I am looking for an additional carry gun is multi fold. There are times when I don't wear sandals and shorts and hence I can carry (comfortably) a bigger handgun or even outside the waist band. Also on a pure function level just drawing and shooting without manually manipulating a safety is kind of nice. The gun I have now has a safety on it but I have practiced so much that taking that safety off is second nature. If I was on a shot timer I might be a fraction of a second slower on my first shot but all things being equal I would like to think I would hit with it simply because I can point and shoot it out of second nature. Other than that I need to take a class or like four to up my self defense tactics and skills outside of just pure shooting for fun or worrying about hardware.

On that note I do think striker fired pistols are in many ways superior for CC hence I am on the search for something that can check a few more boxes that I can practice with. Plus one can never have too many guns [nor too much ammo].

Jerry R
16 April 2019, 06:07
Not a ton of options out there for them, but S&W has come out with a new Performance Center version of the Shield 2.0. Has the same grip and capacity, but with a 4 inch barrel instead of the 3.0. Coming from Smith's PC, it shouldn't require much in the way of customization. Choice of irons only, or factory 4 MOA RDS. I'm giving the irons only .45 version a hard look. I have a Shield 45 and a box full of magazines. Think it might be a good carry piece.

mustangfreek
17 April 2019, 00:03
If you get a p10c the first move I’d make is the trigger, it’s excellent but the stock safety tang is a pincher after some rds.

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/cz-p10-c-parts/cz-p10c-hbi-trigger-kit-black.html

There’s a few other places that sell them, also mags are more about $33 and up.