PDA

View Full Version : RMR Thoughts

BoilerUp
17 April 2019, 21:36
I'm seeing some deals on RMRs and am considering picking one up to properly dress up my New Zealand LMT. NZ uses a 4x32 ACOG with RMR on top. The contract was issues before the RMR Type 2 came out, so I presume they are the original RMR and not the adjustable version. That said, I'm not trying to create an exact clone.

So, a few questions:

Is the type 2 a significant enough improvement that I should be willing to spend $50-$100 extra?
Is the Adjustable the way to go? This is for a backup mounted on top of an ACOG, I'm guessing I don't really need the Adjustable version.

That said, the cheapest option right now is the "type 1" Adjustable ($370 from Lanbos). Any reason why I shouldn't just go with that? I guess if I want to be "correct" for NZ I could lookout for a used, non-adjustable, "type 1".

cjd3
17 April 2019, 22:21
Is the type 2 a significant enough improvement that I should be willing to spend $50-$100 extra?
Is the Adjustable the way to go? This is for a backup mounted on top of an ACOG, I'm guessing I don't really need the Adjustable version.

That said, the cheapest option right now is the "type 1" Adjustable ($370 from Lanbos). Any reason why I shouldn't just go with that? I guess if I want to be "correct" for NZ I could lookout for a used, non-adjustable, "type 1".

If I recall correctly, the Type 2 improvements were made primarily to fight the flicker on pistol use. For a rifle, I think you’re be fine with a type 1. And I’d completely go with an adjustable. You get control of the brightness, and it’s really easy to adjust.

mustangfreek
18 April 2019, 00:29
I don’t know much and briefly had a type 2 rm06.

I researched a bunch and type 2’s supposedly helped with the battery problems, but there’s flicker plates and seals/filler plates for the gen 1’s

Along with the on/off feature of the adjustable, even though the others adjust and you might not ever want to change brightness, but the ability to do so is nice. I like the rm06 the best for me.

Assume your talking about this one..seems like a decent deal for new..not the best.

Don’t forget the seal/flicker plate
https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1515

Joelski
18 April 2019, 04:01
That price is hella good. Lanbo's blowin' 'em out.

BoilerUp
18 April 2019, 06:29
Thanks, Gents. I went ahead and ordered the RMR06 from Lanbos.

gatordev
18 April 2019, 07:54
You already ordered, but Big Tex Outdoors just got a batch of Type 1 RM06s as well and they're a great price.

cjd3 is correct on the difference between Type 1 and 2. I've never heard stellar things about the non-adjustable versions. Mine have always been adjustable and have been great (type 1).

Don’t forget the seal/flicker plate

You won't need the seal plate on an ACOG. The mount is uniform so the seal on the RMR will be enough. The plate is for pistolas.

UWone77
18 April 2019, 11:33
Man that's a smoking deal. I wish I had seen those before I ordered 2 Type 2 RM06's.

MoxyDave
18 April 2019, 12:59
You'll be happy with the adjustable type 1. I've used RMRs on various builds for a long time. I tend to force them on a certain brightness and leave it there, the auto-adjustment never really gets bright enough for me and in some conditions (shooting from dark room into light) they can be problematic. Don't know much about the type 2, but I've never had trouble with my type 1's.

mustangfreek
18 April 2019, 15:30
You already ordered, but Big Tex Outdoors just got a batch of Type 1 RM06s

You won't need the seal plate on an ACOG. The mount is uniform so the seal on the RMR will be enough. The plate is for pistolas.

Gotcha, and some report still flickering problems, without. It was more so for that issue. Or a piece of elec. tape like so many use will work I guess.

It’s not a smoking deal imo, new type 2’s can be found for around 400

BoilerUp
18 April 2019, 22:41
It looks like the NZDF uses the adjustable RMR after all:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/4677427.jpg

voodoo_man
19 April 2019, 05:12
was gana say, as soon as the ACRO hits hard the used RMR market will be crazy.

gatordev
19 April 2019, 08:54
Gotcha, and some report still flickering problems, without. It was more so for that issue. Or a piece of elec. tape like so many use will work I guess.

The flickering happens on pistols, not rifles, though. That's where there's the concern. I've had two RM06s (before they were "Type 1") on top of ACOGs and they've never had an issue. The issue mainly comes up because of the contact "arm" on the side of the battery doesn't have enough pressure to maintain pressure and the connection, which exacerbates any movement "down" by the battery as it's jostled by recoil. The Type 2 addresses this by adding a second contact arm and by adding prongs on the positive contact area so that the whole thing is more "sprung" in the battery compartment.

A simple fix for a type 1 in a pistol is to put a non-conductive item (like styrofoam) up against the contact arm which will force the connection. A plate, like you mentioned, will help keep upward pressure, as well. But I've found neither of those necessary on a rifle/ACOG setup.

UWone77
19 April 2019, 11:02

THANKS10 always get you 10% off though.

mustangfreek
19 April 2019, 15:30
THANKS10 always get you 10% off though.

At where? It won’t work at lanbos

mustangfreek
19 April 2019, 15:42
I see now, that code works for Big Tex.

Good info gator. I didn’t know it was s problem only on pistols.. more violent movement I guess

BoilerUp
10 May 2019, 20:20
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-WPF3JZB/0/509a1bd1/XL/i-WPF3JZB-XL.jpg

Probably about as close to the NZ setup as I can get. Looks like they are using several items that aren't available for sale in the US. Actually, the RMR06 is the only thing that appears to be an exact match, as the ACOG used by NZ is a special green cross-hair version of ECOS in black calibrated for 77gr SMK loads. Also, the LaRue mount for NZ has the locking mechanism on the opposite side of the standard LT100. I'm pretty sure NZ did this so they could mount the ACOG one notch further back on the rail without interfering with the LMT BUIS. NZ put four ways to aim on the rifle. The ACOG, the RMR, the BUIS on the ACOG, and the LMT BUIS. I'm all about redundancy, but that does seem a little excessive. I've seen pics from the field where they've already removed the LMT BUIS to make space for other accessories.

Anyway, I'm happy. Close enough for me.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZShDHf5/0/74433d7e/X2/i-ZShDHf5-X2.jpg