PDA

View Full Version : New Trijicon SRO

Former11B
25 April 2019, 08:44

Specialized Reflex Optic

Don’t know much about it other than the name, but it’s something new and that’s worth discussing when they start hitting the street

SpartyME
25 April 2019, 08:53
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2019/04/trijicon-sro-red-dot-first-look/

SINNER
25 April 2019, 14:25
A optic dealer I’ve dealt with for 2 decades and I were discussing the new Aimpoint ACRO a few months back and he told me they better get as many contracts as they can as quick as they can. He claimed once Trijicon’s new offering was released they would struggle to sell any on the retail market. I’m assuming he was speaking about this.

mustangfreek
25 April 2019, 16:36
Huh..interesting

Same footprint as the rmr I wonder? As in for mounting to a existing rmr cut?

fledge
25 April 2019, 18:01
Huh..interesting

Same footprint as the rmr I wonder? As in for mounting to a existing rmr cut?

That’s what the link posted above says. I’m intrigued. Street price is under $500.

cjd3
25 April 2019, 18:24
Folks with irons in front of their optic cut will not be happy. Looks like it has a .4" overhang over the RMR. They say it's not recommended to install on pistols where the overhangs the breach face. Sadly my new 509 is only .12" clearance from breach face to the mounting plate. O well, I'll let someone else test it out.
Edit: Looks like the FN 509T is the illustration on SRO Spec Sheet for "Not Recommended"

UWone77
25 April 2019, 21:45
Reminds me of their effort to dethrone Aimpoint with their MRO. I see a flop on Trijicon's future. I'd just keep improving the RMR.

kalopsia
25 April 2019, 22:05
I like the concept. It may work better than the traditional RMR if the red dot is equidistant from the frame. Centering within the sight picture could conceivably be faster once the shooter adjusts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FortTom
25 April 2019, 22:51
This whole thing interests me. I never liked the pistol RDS, because of the exact reason they are making new sights where you can pick up the dot instantly. Not sure I'd really want to pay nearly $800, plus gunsmithing to mill the slide, to have one, I'm kind of used to regular sights, but it makes me wonder, does this work with an AR, as well as a pistol? I plead total ignorance on the subject.

Thanks,

FT[:D]

gatordev
26 April 2019, 02:55
A optic dealer I’ve dealt with for 2 decades and I were discussing the new Aimpoint ACRO a few months back and he told me they better get as many contracts as they can as quick as they can. He claimed once Trijicon’s new offering was released they would struggle to sell any on the retail market. I’m assuming he was speaking about this.

I'd be curious how this dealer responds to the question about rain and dirt. It doesn't look like the SRO solves that, as it still has the concave objective. Like the T-1 before it, the ACRO shouldn't have that same problem when shooting in the elements. But it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

voodoo_man
26 April 2019, 03:26
I just posted about this on my site...

I'll get both, the ACRO and the SRO. Long ago, when the first LED RMR's came on the market and people were using these new fandangled micro dots on pistols the biggest complaint was that if the RMR's window was bigger it would work better, trijicon gave some stupid reason for not doing it, but pistol mounted optics weren't a thing, yet. If they made the SRO oval, more of an egg shape, bigger at the top than the bottom which would allow you pick up the dot quickly on draw stroke the same way you would the front sight.

They finally caught up.

Whichever allows me to do that I'll likely give weight on more to carry EDC. Especially if there are a few features which are absolutely needed on a pistol mounted RDS have been added.

Former11B
26 April 2019, 05:54
I just posted about this on my site...

I'll get both, the ACRO and the SRO. Long ago, when the first LED RMR's came on the market and people were using these new fandangled micro dots on pistols the biggest complaint was that if the RMR's window was bigger it would work better, trijicon gave some stupid reason for not doing it, but pistol mounted optics weren't a thing, yet. If they made the SRO oval, more of an egg shape, bigger at the top than the bottom which would allow you pick up the dot quickly on draw stroke the same way you would the front sight.

They finally caught up.

Whichever allows me to do that I'll likely give weight on more to carry EDC. Especially if there are a few features which are absolutely needed on a pistol mounted RDS have been added.

I was talking about then window shape with my neighbor yesterday. He shoots a lot of steel challenge matches and most of the guys were using things like the C-More RTS sights due to the larger, rounded window. The SRO followed suit. Here’s a better photo showing the size of the window:

SINNER
26 April 2019, 06:37
Reminds me of their effort to dethrone Aimpoint with their MRO. I see a flop on Trijicon's future. I'd just keep improving the RMR.

I’ve never been a fan of the T1 or T2 Aimpoints. One of the worst red dots I’ve used with my astigmatism and just flat overpriced IMO. Absolutely love the new green dot MRO.

SINNER
26 April 2019, 06:44
I'd be curious how this dealer responds to the question about rain and dirt. It doesn't look like the SRO solves that, as it still has the concave objective. Like the T-1 before it, the ACRO shouldn't have that same problem when shooting in the elements. But it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Honestly that’s not a concern to me. Any optic can and will be obscured by rain and dirt. More than once I’ve had an ACOG covered in mud or snow be unusable but the RMR be functioning and usable on top. Just has never proven to be an issue to me. If a RMR is exposed to conditions that would sideline it, it’s likely that any other optic in the same scenario would also be unusable.

gatordev
26 April 2019, 09:08
Honestly that’s not a concern to me. Any optic can and will be obscured by rain and dirt. More than once I’ve had an ACOG covered in mud or snow be unusable but the RMR be functioning and usable on top. Just has never proven to be an issue to me. If a RMR is exposed to conditions that would sideline it, it’s likely that any other optic in the same scenario would also be unusable.

I haven't found that to be the case. Yes, the T-x will eventually succumb to particulate depending on the conditions, I've found the T-1 is much easier to deal with in the rain than a RMR. Part of it is because design doesn't collect water like the RMR, part of it is...I'm not sure. Maybe it repels water a little better, but I find it much easier to look through, find the dot, and see the target on a T-1 than a RMR. For me, looking through the RMR is more like looking into a jumbled mess, finding the dot which is a mess, and then not really being able to see the target because of the water drops.

I do get the taller glass of the SRO, though. I can see how that would be more helpful.

voodoo_man
28 April 2019, 06:15
I was talking about then window shape with my neighbor yesterday. He shoots a lot of steel challenge matches and most of the guys were using things like the C-More RTS sights due to the larger, rounded window. The SRO followed suit. Here’s a better photo showing the size of the window:

Don't particular care what anyone who shoots games thinks, what I am going to do to eval the RDS and the reason for carrying it EDC for reality based application are very much different.

The window, itself, does not really matter as much as the ability to find the dot on the draw. That could be done several different ways.

BoilerUp
14 July 2019, 09:11
Don't particular care what anyone who shoots games thinks, what I am going to do to eval the RDS and the reason for carrying it EDC for reality based application are very much different.

The window, itself, does not really matter as much as the ability to find the dot on the draw. That could be done several different ways.

I'm noticing on Trijicon's website that they say the SRO is for "target and competitive shooting applications". They never mention "self defense, duty weapon" in any of the marketing material for the SRO like they do for the RMR.

PJD642
14 July 2019, 09:29
I'm noticing on Trijicon's website that they say the SRO is for "target and competitive shooting applications". They never mention "self defense, duty weapon" in any of the marketing material for the SRO like they do for the RMR.

I believe the reason for that is because of the differences in the windows and the metal around them. The RMR's housing is designed to mitigate the effect of impacts far better than the SRO housing. Sage Dynamics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzjgOq60vFE) does a far better job explaining this than I can.

I'm still going to get one for my G34 USPSA gun. The larger window and faster acquisition is exactly what I've been wanting compared to my current red dot set up. Now if I could just find an RMR that would work with a P365 or G48...

Former11B
14 July 2019, 15:24

But “games” [BD]

Funny, guys around Bragg that wear Green and Maroon headgear play those shooting “games” also. They’re not a direct replacement for combat but they can show the strengths and weaknesses with the kit. Maybe not an explosion, but impacts, battery life, and other points of interest

PJD642
14 July 2019, 20:18
But “games” [BD]

Funny, guys around Bragg that wear Green and Maroon headgear play those shooting “games” also. They’re not a direct replacement for combat but they can show the strengths and weaknesses with the kit. Maybe not an explosion, but impacts, battery life, and other points of interest

My thoughts exactly. Time spent moving, reloading and shooting quickly with the pistol can only help. I don't always need to practice tactics, I just need to know how and when to use them.

UWone77
14 July 2019, 22:07
But “games” [BD]

I agree. A lot of those games can translate to real world.

I'm going to wait for some more reviews on the SRO before I get one.

voodoo_man
24 October 2019, 07:44
Pre-use impressions of the SRO...

https://i.imgur.com/psNfDYW.jpg

https://www.vdmsr.com/2019/10/trijicon-sro-preuse-impressions.html