PDA

View Full Version : quantity or quality?

sadmin
16 April 2009, 06:40
I am new to the AR scene and purchased my first rifle back in Oct of last year.
I am a casual shooter; a couple times a month, and I am a civilian. From Oct. until now, I have accumulated about 4 AR and AR type rifles. They are all, what I imagine, viewed as "entry level"(minus the colt) carbines, based on manufacturers and the information I have gathered from great sites like this. So lately, I am feeling like maybe I should sell one of them and use some money and purchase a rugged, "combat ready," rifle. Why you ask...not sure. I will most likely not be in combat, nor acquire the training to use that rifle to its potential, besides taking some carbine classes. My justification is simply the pleasure in owning something that is there if you need it...I guess the buy once, cry once mentality.
What do are your views on this option? Quality or Quantity? For reference, here is what I currently own:
Stag Model 2
Robinson Arms XCR L
Rock River CAR A2
Colt HBAR
Spikes lower
LMT lower
Any information would be appreciated; since you guys use your tools much more than I. Im considering dumping the Stag and buying a higher quality upper for the LMT. Or should I just keep saving and buy another?
Take Care!

Army Chief
16 April 2009, 10:11
I'm very much biased toward the best-quality standard, though there is probably very little that is wrong with your entry-level carbines that cannot be fixed with a bit of remedial TLC. Since these are not hard-use duty weapons, things like batch component testing or non-pressure tested barrels aren't likely to be prove show stoppers. The truth is that most of your kit is fairly decent, so if the component quality is there and you have verified that the staking/crimping/assembly work has been done to standard, then you are probably very near the practical "combat ready" standard already.

Admittedly, I've not strayed far from the Hartford/Grant's Pass standard, but I do recognize that there are many excellent alternatives on the market. It's true that there can be no substitute for quality, but it is certainly possible to get so wrapped around the axle about buffer types, finish variations or extractor spring inserts that we miss the forest for the trees. Some may disagree, but I would submit that, in the hands of a truly competent operator, there often isn't a great deal of difference between a very good rifle and a great one.

AC

Stickman
16 April 2009, 10:45
I can't tell if you have lowers mixed with different uppers, or what you have.

In general, I would look at quality part upgrades as needed as opposed to selling everything off. Again, without knowing what your setups are, its hard to make a call.

While there is something to be said for an out of the box upper end weapon, it wouldn't be the end of the world to build up a few different weapons the way you like them, with a few upgraded parts where you needed them.

sadmin
16 April 2009, 13:21
thx, appreciate the replies. they are complete rifles except the spikes and LMT lowers. They are just complete lowers I picked up recently for a couple .22lr setups.

Stickman
16 April 2009, 16:43
Are they in configurations that you like, or would you eventually change them around?

The reason I ask is that if you plan on swapping around configurations, you would probably be better suited to selling them and getting something else. If you like the way they are currently, its more of a toss up.

With a LMT complete lower, I would pick up a complete LMT upper, and has a great carbine. I would rank the Stag slightly over the RRA, but I wouldn't consider either of them bottom feeders. I would take a LMT over either of them.

sadmin
16 April 2009, 17:46
Thx for the info. guys. What are your views on a Sabre Defense
upper? Here are the specs of the one I was checking out:
Barrel Specs:
16" Mid-length gas sytem, 1/7 twist, true M4 extensions, chrome-lined, F-marked forged front sight base, government contour (light under the hand-guards) 5.56mm chamber These barrels are Mil-B-1159F Vandium Alloy They are up to 10 RC points harder than 4140 barrels.
Upper Receiver Specs:
Sabre Defence Flat-top Upper Receiver CNC Machined From A 7075 T6 Forging w/ laser engraved T-numbers, M4 extensions to match this barrel. INCLUDES Semi-auto Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle

Stickman
16 April 2009, 18:32
Sabre makes good stuff, but has risen quite a bit in price over the past few years.

Cameron
16 April 2009, 19:19
I'm not sure I follow, just shoot everything you have got until something breaks.

Although... my first AR15 was a Bushmaster which I have since sold and now I have Colt, LMT and Daniel Defense. :o

Policetacteam
17 April 2009, 19:45
Like Stick already pointed out...without seeing your exact set-ups its difficult to offer specific advice. From what I can gather from the limited info it looks like you have some very nice rifles, uppers, and lowers. Aside from throwing down the coin for a LaRue Stealth upper / lower combo, Vltor forged upper, and any number of other parts that are way out of my price range purchase the best that you can afford, while being reasonable! If you can afford the LaRue and don't mind spending some extra cash than get it!!! Its always cheaper to experiment with new parts (ie sights, optics, VFG's, stocks, etc..) than an entirely new rig! Let us know what you come up with. And please...post some pics of whatever you do decide to go with!