PDA

View Full Version : Home defense set up?

Aragorn
5 May 2019, 11:14
So I just bought my first house. Due to this I’m now exploring the idea of getting a dedicated home defense weapon. Up until now that duty has fallen to me and my wife’s concealed pistols, and I’m thinking about upgrading.

I have a small (7.5” barrel) .300, but I keep it loaded with Barnes Vor-TX solid copper rounds and have bedrooms behind MOST angles in the new house. I don’t view that as a good combination.

I saw the B&T GHM9 mentioned and looked into that, and I’m thinking either that or possibly a PWS Diablo. My concerns with the Diablo are over-penetration and noise. I keep 77gr. Razorcore on hand but would NEED to suppress the weapon which would obviously add length. If I go with the B&T I’d probably use the 147 gr. federal HST’s that my Sig and Glock both get fed, but am looking into the more exotic Lehigh Xtreme defense rounds, not the Xtreme penetrators which absolutely would over-penetrate.

What do you all think? Is one better than the other or is it a wash? Would 77gr OTM’s over-penetrate out of a 7.5” barrel? Pretty sure I could stay shorter and quieter with the B&T even suppressed, but wanted to tap y’alls knowledge.

Setting them up looks like it could be interesting also. Obviously I want a light. I’m thinking an auto adjusting red dot like an RMR. I tend to look down on lasers in general but is there any reason to consider one? Cramming all that onto a tiny gun seems like it might take some creative play.

BoilerUp
5 May 2019, 12:05
I think 9mm SBR/pistol is good set up. I have my MPX set up for HD with 147gr Gold Dots

voodoo_man
5 May 2019, 13:34
Few questions...

Do you have neighbors?

Second/third etc floor bedrooms?

How much land/yard do you have? Possible engagement of 100m+?

Outlets and/or motion activated lights on first floor/stairs? For shadow projection.

For cqb distances you need a slow, large bullet that'll go through intermediate barriers.

UWone77
5 May 2019, 13:39
Congrats on the home purchase! Where are the pics? [:D]

Aragorn
5 May 2019, 13:39
Single story. Brick/stone exteriors. Neighbors yes with houses of similar construction. Yards are what I would say is average in suburbia. House is still being built so nothing plugged in. Construction puts kids rooms more towards the front than the master. It’ll have a security system. Longest shot lame is idk, 30-40ft.

Aragorn
5 May 2019, 13:40
Congrats on the home purchase! Where are the pics? [:D]

Thanks! Not much to show atm, house is still being built. I mean, I could put up the floor plan and unfinished front of the house lol.

Edit. Here you go.

Hmm. Well, TRIED putting up the floor plan but for some reason it’s not letting me. I’ll give it a shot tonight.

BoilerUp
5 May 2019, 15:55
After consultation with a home defense expert, I revise my input and suggest you buy a double barrel shot gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIdKIM2btoA

Aragorn
5 May 2019, 16:39
After consultation with a home defense expert, I revise my input and suggest you buy a double barrel shot gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIdKIM2btoA

Your... expert... suggests only having two shots? What? Bc they’re big?

UWone77
5 May 2019, 16:49
You spec out a gun room yet?

UWone77
5 May 2019, 16:50
Here's a plan we're currently looking at... unfinished area has my name all over it.

HWS
5 May 2019, 17:07
I'm thinking you know more about guns than I do so use your judgment. The reason for this response is a light. I originally resisted getting any sort of light for HD but the thought of shooting a relative or confused neighbor changed my mind. I have a weapons light on my AR and two or three hand held lights. If you are going to shoot make sure the guy needs to be shot.

UWone77
5 May 2019, 18:03
I'm thinking you know more about guns than I do so use your judgment. The reason for this response is a light. I originally resisted getting any sort of light for HD but the thought of shooting a relative or confused neighbor changed my mind. I have a weapons light on my AR and two or three hand held lights. If you are going to shoot make sure the guy needs to be shot.

All defensive/duty guns need a light. You're absolutely right, ID'ing the target to make sure it needs some rounds down range is critical.

Aragorn
5 May 2019, 19:15
No dedicated gun room. Massive closet though that will house the safe. Here's the floor plan. Not as cool as yours [BD]

UWone77
5 May 2019, 20:06
Man that's a huge walk in closet in the master. Size rivals the other bedrooms!

alamo5000
5 May 2019, 20:10
Congrats on the house! While this is a firearms forum a visit to a friend's house taught me a whole lot and got me thinking in new ways.

If you are home it's easy relatively speaking to have firearms coming out the whazoo. What happens if you drive up on your new digs and someone is there? Naturally you want to call the cops, but you still need a plan from the inside or outside.

In my town more people have been killed by driving up on a burglary rather than someone coming inside on them by like 10 to 1.

My friend has a lot of really nice camera and surveillance system which makes things very nice.

He had an app on his phone that he could check out the house or his gun safe at any time. We would be eating dinner and he could see all over including outside. Not to mention if someone did break in this would give lots of evidence.

Guns are great but sometimes that's the first thing thieves go for when you aren't at home.

I'm not a big technology buff but I was made a believer after staying at his house for a while.

It's not just defense but offense as well, even sort of passive offense.

Default.mp3
5 May 2019, 20:53
No dedicated gun room. Massive closet though that will house the safe. Here's the floor plan. Not as cool as yours [BD]

6513DRH?

My friend has a lot of really nice camera and surveillance system which makes things very nice.

He had an app on his phone that he could check out the house or his gun safe at any time. We would be eating dinner and he could see all over including outside. Not to mention if someone did break in this would give lots of evidence.The flip side to that is that smart home security leaves you vulnerable to hackers; IoT cybersecurity tends to be quite poor, as there is little incentive to beef it up. Now, it's extremely unlikely that a hacker will specifically target your home; instead, I'm much more worried about generalized viruses and malware that would impact swaths of users. You're also placing a lot of trust in the company that hosts/runs your security, as now they have video and audio feed into your home.

I'm definitely getting a security set-up from Nest when my house is completed, but I have also weighed those issues, and decided that it's worth the squeeze, but I'm also the guy that leaves Google location tracking on because I find the convenience and data generated a worthwhile trade-off of my privacy.

Aragorn
5 May 2019, 21:10
Yeah DRH.

And Yeah the closet is huge. It's gonna b a changing room for me on my super early mornings so I don't wake up the wife. As for security, the house comes with a security system installed, no video far as I know, just monitors doors/Windows etc.

Also not to worried about someone showing up while no one is home. My wife is a stay at home mom and homeschools the kids so unless they're at a group homeschool event or shopping, there's almost always someone there. Conveniently, she's not to bad when it comes to running a gun. Both her handgun and her AR.

voodoo_man
5 May 2019, 23:18
Camera which is app accessible on phone in first floor which can see the stairs is a good idea.

Otherwise with those distances and construction a 300blk with coupled pmags zerod for 40ish yards with a light Lazer zero for 10y will be the best option.

Aragorn
6 May 2019, 08:19
I have NO DOUBTS as to the stopping power of my .300
It’s actually one of my favorite guns, just concerned about over penetration and would prefer something that would ideally stop IN the bad guy.

SINNER
6 May 2019, 09:46
A big dog and a 12 gauge filled with #4 buckshot.

Former11B
6 May 2019, 11:18
9mm/pistol would surprise you compared to 5.56 in terms of overpenetration

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/07/14/why-high-powered-5-56-nato-223-ar-15-ammo-is-safer-for-home-defense-fbi-overpenetration-testing/

alamo5000
6 May 2019, 11:37
A fairly decent real world test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VeqqNuQU_4

Aragorn
6 May 2019, 11:57
Kinda sounds like 5.56 *might* be the way to go. I’m not concerned about anything leaving the house with the stone exterior. I’ve already got 5.56’s though, and while something super short might be cool, something else entirely might be cool to. Idk though, mission first.

Maybe I need to also start looking up gel tears of the 147gr HST vs. a 77gr OTM out of a short barrel. And .300 while I’m at it.

Former11B
6 May 2019, 12:24
77gr Razorcore 10.5” barrel

https://youtu.be/pzicw0Q8HRg

9mm 147gr HST from S&W:

https://youtu.be/hrIiclxyKKI

Aragorn
6 May 2019, 12:25
Thanks! Not I’m a position to watch videos right now but I’ll definitely get to those!

mustangfreek
6 May 2019, 16:49
What’s wrong with a good old pistol with 147gr hst’s and a handheld Surefire?

UWone77
6 May 2019, 17:59
What’s wrong with a good old pistol with 147gr hst’s and a handheld Surefire?

Nothing.

I think sometimes this is way over analyzed. My home defense go-to is a Glock 17 (all factory, including the magazine, Glock Night sights) and a Surefire X300.

If I had acreage, or in a more remote area, I'd probably change the loadout, but my Glock 17 IMHO will handle just about all problems that I can reasonably expect at Zero Dark Thirty.

alamo5000
6 May 2019, 18:18
Nothing.

I think sometimes this is way over analyzed. My home defense go-to is a Glock 17 (all factory, including the magazine, Glock Night sights) and a Surefire X300.

If I had acreage, or in a more remote area, I'd probably change the loadout, but my Glock 17 IMHO will handle just about all problems that I can reasonably expect at Zero Dark Thirty.

Asking your opinion here as you are married etc (unlike me)... but what is your opinion about taking the shooter him or herself into account?

You might be totally fine under stress and using a pistol, but what about your wife? I am not asking that directly but rather rhetorically.

A close family friend who was in a prominent position related to law and law enforcement taught his wife using a small shotgun for those times when he wasn't around.

She was handy with it and it fit her better... I think this might be a good angle of discussion for those who have a wife and/or kids...

We can have caliber discussions all day long, but at the end of the day a 20 gauge on to 9mm on to 300 BLK on to 45ACP or whatever would put the smack down with a direct hit...

kalopsia
6 May 2019, 18:18
Thanks for posting, subscribing since it translates well to my own situation.

We use two Arlo exterior cameras at our house, with one in the garage covering the safe. We keep a spare on the interior of the house that we move to cover the back sliding glass door when we’re away. It’s coupled with a Simpli-Safe alarm system. Not perfect, but it’s the most economical option for us. We do get a discount on home insurance for the SS system because it’s connected to local PD and FD, which may be something to think about.

Despite the noisy retired neighbors, they do keep an eye on our property during the day. It’s great to have them as a back up, so I’d definitely recommend treating everyone as best you can when you move in to keep an eye out for you and yours.

Motion lights on the exterior is another option to consider, as well as an alert canine. We have three, and their hearing is absolutely exceptional compared to ours.

If your don’t want to get a security system, you can buy the stickers and signage off eBay to keep up appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UWone77
6 May 2019, 18:44
Asking your opinion here as you are married etc (unlike me)... but what is your opinion about taking the shooter him or herself into account?

You might be totally fine under stress and using a pistol, but what about your wife? I am not asking that directly but rather rhetorically.

A close family friend who was in a prominent position related to law and law enforcement taught his wife using a small shotgun for those times when he wasn't around.

She was handy with it and it fit her better... I think this might be a good angle of discussion for those who have a wife and/or kids...

We can have caliber discussions all day long, but at the end of the day a 20 gauge on to 9mm on to 300 BLK on to 45ACP or whatever would put the smack down with a direct hit...

Unfortunately, my wife is not into firearms at all, and has no interest in them. It is what it is.

In the event of an emergency, she'd lock herself into the designated panic/security room, and call 911.... and no we don't have some crazy panic room like in the movies. Think Reinforced door/frame, deactivated phone on a charger that can still dial out to 911.

UWone77
6 May 2019, 18:47
Thanks for posting, subscribing since it translates well to my own situation.

We use two Arlo exterior cameras at our house, with one in the garage covering the safe. We keep a spare on the interior of the house that we move to cover the back sliding glass door when we’re away. It’s coupled with a Simpli-Safe alarm system. Not perfect, but it’s the most economical option for us. We do get a discount on home insurance for the SS system because it’s connected to local PD and FD, which may be something to think about.

Despite the noisy retired neighbors, they do keep an eye on our property during the day. It’s great to have them as a back up, so I’d definitely recommend treating everyone as best you can when you move in to keep an eye out for you and yours.

Motion lights on the exterior is another option to consider, as well as an alert canine. We have three, and their hearing is absolutely exceptional compared to ours.

If your don’t want to get a security system, you can buy the stickers and signage off eBay to keep up appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

100%... your neighbors are the first line of defense. The only good security is layered security. Neighbors, Cameras, Monitored Security, Good doors/frames/locks all have to work together to keep your house as secure as possible.

In the end, if someone is going to break into your house, they will. This is why I keep preaching to my friends/family that don't post on social media that you're currently out in Hawaii for 2 weeks, or backpacking across Europe for a month in real time. Post all that shit when you get home. When your home gets broken into and only certain items are taken, and the bad buys know what they're looking for, it wasn't random.

Eric
6 May 2019, 19:47
LV makes a few good points in this short video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C5T2lvV2Xrw

voodoo_man
6 May 2019, 21:40
while 5.56 may look attractive it can easily exit your house and end up in another house, .300blk not so much unless you are firing directly at a window or something of that nature, especially so using vor-tx/tac etc as it is designed for that type of application. I would also stay away from 9mm for HD, specifically because pistol caliber ammo is not designed to immediately stop a human adversary, .300blk and the like are designed to do that just.

Cameras are great, especially if they ding your phone immediately. I use WYZE for a lot of stuff as it works well, some guys I work with use BLINK and it works well for them. Either way, get them and make sure their notifications work quickly. Sometimes this means you need to update or purchase a newer/better/morepowerful router, it's a small price to pay.

UWone77
6 May 2019, 21:54
Winchester Ranger, Hornady TAP 5.56 ammo, I wouldn't worry about over penetration into another house

Thompson
7 May 2019, 02:26
This is why I keep preaching to my friends/family that don't post on social media that you're currently out in Hawaii for 2 weeks, or backpacking across Europe for a month in real time. Post all that shit when you get home.
+1

voodoo_man
7 May 2019, 08:55
Winchester Ranger, Hornady TAP 5.56 ammo, I wouldn't worry about over penetration into another house

Or through intermediate barriers in your house, crippling your own capability.

LE carries loads like that because of liability, not ballistic advantage.

Carry a load that will go through barriers and people, anything else is something the lawyers helped design.

UWone77
7 May 2019, 09:43
Or through intermediate barriers in your house, crippling your own capability.

LE carries loads like that because of liability, not ballistic advantage.

Carry a load that will go through barriers and people, anything else is something the lawyers helped design.

Whatever works for you. Our own department ballistic testing says otherwise.

voodoo_man
7 May 2019, 10:32
Whatever works for you. Our own department ballistic testing says otherwise.

Of course they do, they were told so by lawyers that is what they had to do, ergo the standards they have to meet. Which I totally understand for LE use, but for the responsible armed citizen? No way.

Off duty I carry 147gr +p+ underwood flat tips. I can shoot them (and have) through 6 2x4's, which is basically any intermediate barrier that I will come in contact with in my travels off duty. Think any LE PD will allow those? Hell no, there's some lawyer that just got a headache because I even mentioned it.

UWone77
7 May 2019, 12:52
Nah, our lawyers ask for forgiveness not permission. East coast policing I can see you asking for permission first.

voodoo_man
7 May 2019, 14:04
Nah, our lawyers ask for forgiveness not permission. East coast policing I can see you asking for permission first.

Less to do about policing, more to do about applications in reality.

UWone77
7 May 2019, 14:33
Less to do about policing, more to do about applications in reality.

LOL. Whatever you gotta tell yourself.

First you state that 5.56 can easily penetrate your house into the next house, but then 5.56 can't penetrate intermediate barriers inside your house?

But... this is all because of lawyers?

Make up your mind man.

voodoo_man
7 May 2019, 15:37
LOL. Whatever you gotta tell yourself.

First you state that 5.56 can easily penetrate your house into the next house, but then 5.56 can't penetrate intermediate barriers inside your house?

But... this is all because of lawyers?

Make up your mind man.

You mentioned TAP, I didn't. I was referring to .300blk barnes Vor-Tac etc, which has a very clear performance history very much unlike TAP.

You also mentioned ranger 9mm, a round designed for LE use.

My mind is very much made up, no amount of conjecture will change reality.

mustangfreek
7 May 2019, 17:37
Those 77gr TMK’s would be another good one for HD

Some of the tests I’ve seen, barrier& gel tests. Has these working better then the big name brands.

But I don’t have a shorty anything setup with a light. So the g19 with 124 or 147gr hsts and a handheld Surefire sleep next to me.

UWone77
7 May 2019, 17:55
You mentioned TAP, I didn't. I was referring to .300blk barnes Vor-Tac etc, which has a very clear performance history very much unlike TAP.

You also mentioned ranger 9mm, a round designed for LE use.

My mind is very much made up, no amount of conjecture will change reality.

I was referring to Winchester 64gr 5.56

But yeah you do you. [:D]

voodoo_man
7 May 2019, 18:38
I was referring to Winchester 64gr 5.56

But yeah you do you. [:D]

Right, still a duty round, not comparable to the barnes vor-tac I was referring to. They were designed to do completely different things.