PDA

View Full Version : RDS recommendations

alamo5000
19 May 2019, 18:29
I need to get another RDS. I have an Aim point T2 on one gun and it's awesome.

That said I want to shorten up a list of other potential candidates as well.

It's not that I don't like the T2. I would have a lot more than one but there is a cost there.

I'm on the fence about saving up for another T2 or trying out something more budget. Not too much budget because I don't want a POS, but good enough.

What's my top 3 options excluding the T2?

UWone77
19 May 2019, 18:59
Budget conscious, my top two choices:

Vortex SPARC-AR
Sig Romeo lines

Both have been surprisingly robust. Battery life of course is not as good as Aimpoint, but those two have been good to my 9mm sub guns

Holosun also seems to be coming out with higher quality optics.

Bang for the buck, I still like used T1's, if you look hard enough you can find them for Sub $400. Or PRO's for sub $300.

alamo5000
19 May 2019, 19:10
One of the biggest things I love about the T2 is it doesn't matter conditions you can see the dot.

I like a lot of things about it but I'm still willing to consider other options.

I will try to stop by a local dealer or two and look through the others before I make up my mind.

It's going on a 300 BLK so adjustments and so forth are important. I might be shooting 110 grain burners one day and 220 subs the next so field expedient adjustments are a must.

fledge
19 May 2019, 19:13
I’ve found used T1s under $400. And the Trijicon MRO can be had new for approx $350ish without mount if you wait for sales.

alamo5000
19 May 2019, 19:17
I’ve found used T1s under $400. And the Trijicon MRO can be had new for approx $350ish without mount if you wait for sales.

I'm not in a hurry. I will need to save up some before I splurge. I have a pecking order of stuff I need or want so I have to prioritize.

I'm kind of of the school that if you buy quality stuff it's a whole lot better at retaining value so this is giving me something to consider.

MoxyDave
19 May 2019, 19:25
I just bought a Trijicon MRO from OpticsPlanet for something like $350 ... don't have any real-world experience with it yet but it seems like a solid unit. I have 4 or 5 T1's, a couple Comp M4s and various cheapies for comparison so I have a pretty good idea what the competition looks like. I'll chime in again after I've used it for a while.

voodoo_man
19 May 2019, 20:31
T2 is the top of the line for RDS.

T1 and MRO are close seconds to it.

I've used all the above, have a T1 and an MRO right now on two guns. Both are 2MOA's, both are awesome.

Don't cheap out on a mount, red loctite and all that.

Stay away from anything else for the possibility of people shooting.

For gaming and whatnot, use whatever you want, it doesn't matter.

Stay away from SIG. Used the SPARC, did a review - http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/08/vortex-optics-sparc-ii.html - decent, not a working optic.

BoilerUp
19 May 2019, 21:48
EOTech HWSs are cool again

alamo5000
19 May 2019, 22:15
EOTech HWSs are cool again

Not with me they are not. [BD]

JGifford
19 May 2019, 23:13
I cannot recommend anything aside from the t2 or h2 for a working gun.

VIPER 237
20 May 2019, 05:47
I’ve found used H1’s for around $500 with good mounts, and I’ve picked up LE trade in M4’s for $350 ish.

Holosun’s are pretty decent for the price but it’s worth investing in a better mount such as a DD fixed as the factory mounts are junk.

I’ve had a few Sparc’s as well, no complaints.

Stone
20 May 2019, 12:08
T2- GDI mount...

voodoo_man
20 May 2019, 13:29
just for reference...

people shooting RDS (2MOA preferred)

Lowest possible acceptable -> Best

PRO / MRO / COMP M4 -> H1/2 -> T1/2

Acceptable mounts for people shooting RDS

BOBRO (if you need QD or not) -> Geissele

(That's it)

If anyone tells you anything different just assume they drink decaf coffee and light beer.

alamo5000
20 May 2019, 16:54
Regarding mounts... I have a CMT lower 1/3 mount that works great. It's not QD, but I am wondering if there is anything other than sheer personal preference to optic height?

Scopes and whatnot are not included in this discussion. Just RDS.

BoilerUp
20 May 2019, 19:42
Regarding mounts... I have a CMT lower 1/3 mount that works great. It's not QD, but I am wondering if there is anything other than sheer personal preference to optic height?

Personal preference for co-witness or just natural point of aim if you don't run irons.

For a cheap-ish fixed mount for a Micro, the Daniel Defense mounts aren't bad. But I pretty much put a Bobro on everything.

UWone77
20 May 2019, 19:44
I usually Bobro everything.

You never specified ... this optic have to be duty grade or plinking grade?

Stone
20 May 2019, 20:32

QD is great if your RD goes down, you pop it off, put it in your pocket, flip up the irons and keep bangin away. I also found out from my insurance company that anything on my rifles that mounts as a QD isnt considered part of the rifle if its stolen so they cover it as personal property since the firearms are only covered to a certain amount. Just an added bonus. Absolute CO-W requires me to lower my cheek weld down to where it feels stupid. Lower 3rd feels like a natural cheek weld. Guess it kinda depends on your facial structure. Put the rifle up to your shoulder, close your eyes, drop your cheek onto the stock and settle in naturally with your eyes closed. Now open your eyes, and look through the optic, thats your natural cheek weld...

FortTom
20 May 2019, 20:36
QD is great if your RD goes down, you pop it off, put it in your pocket, flip up the irons and keep bangin away. I also found out from my insurance company that anything on my rifles that mounts as a QD isnt considered part of the rifle if its stolen so they cover it as personal property since the firearms are only covered to a certain amount. Just an added bonus. Absolute CO-W requires me to lower my cheek weld down to where it feels stupid. Lower 3rd feels like a natural cheek weld. Guess it kinda depends on your facial structure. Put the rifle up to your shoulder, close your eyes, drop your cheek onto the stock and settle in naturally with your eyes closed. Now open your eyes, and look through the optic, thats your natural cheek weld...

Primary Arms Advanced Microdot Scope. About $170 bucks. No, it's not a T1 or T2 but I tested one for a couple of weeks, and was pretty impressed. I put it up on the Pay it Forward thread a few years ago. I didn't do anything stupid like freeze it in a block of ice and blast it out with dynamite, or throw it out the window of a fighter jet traveling MACH 3, but the dot was very good in sunlight, and I did put it into the fridge to see if it was sealed good enough not to form condensation inside. Passed those tests with flying colors. Also, only water proof to about 10 meters. I couldn't swim that far down anyways.[:D] I think Naytwan snagged it when I gave it away, you might PM him and ask how it worked out for him.

Stone, what insurance company is that? I can't find any home owners insurance co.'s that will cover firearms even if your safe is as secure as Fort Knox. Is it a company that just specializes guns? I think I get a tiny amount of insurance through the NRA, but I don't think it amounts to jack squat.

FT[:D]

Stone
20 May 2019, 20:41
just for reference...

people shooting RDS (2MOA preferred)

Lowest possible acceptable -> Best

PRO / MRO / COMP M4 -> H1/2 -> T1/2

Acceptable mounts for people shooting RDS

BOBRO (if you need QD or not) -> Geissele

(That's it)

If anyone tells you anything different just assume they drink decaf coffee and light beer.

Oh, so I should pull off the Larues and GDI mounts and smash them with a hammer and call Bill and Mr. Bobro, order new mounts because some dude on the internet said so, check...Reminds me of the standard OS response of "Colt, Glock, BCM" Everything else is shit, if you disagree with us we will flame you, then ban you. Check that shit at the door dude...

Stone
20 May 2019, 20:42
Stone, what insurance company is that? I can't find any home owners insurance co.'s that will cover firearms even if your safe is as secure as Fort Knox. Is it a company that just specializes guns? I think I get a tiny amount of insurance through the NRA, but I don't think it amounts to jack squat.

State Farm. My HO policy is good to like 5K on firearms. But all the stuff on my rifles that has a QD is considered Personal property. Red dots, lights, etc,etc... A T2, X300u is an easy grand times each rifle. Adds up quick... So in the unlikely event of theft or fire or whatever I can recoop more.

PJD642
20 May 2019, 20:44
I'm still running a Comp M2 on my work rifle....

alamo5000
20 May 2019, 21:28
I usually Bobro everything.

You never specified ... this optic have to be duty grade or plinking grade?

I don't have 'duty' other than to burn ammo but I like nice stuff. Also nice stuff holds value way better and is much nicer to use. Plus 5 years from now nice stuff still works. And when it comes to RDS nice stuff works in the rain or on bright sunny days.

I am tempted to just say screw it and buy another T2. They are a known quantity.

Could I live with a cheaper red dot? Probably. Would I ultimately be as happy with it? Probably not. The feeling I get here is that the T1-2 are pretty much the top tier and nobody is questioning that.

That all being said I don't have the luxury to try out all the various things out there.

When it comes to some things they are proven to be just better. Other things are simply just more expensive because of branding but don't bring anything extra to the game. I would rather have less quantity of nice guns than more of the middle of the road or low end stuff.

At the end of the day all of my guns are strictly for fun, but that doesn't negate me wanting nice stuff. Pretty much applies to most stuff I tend to like.

alamo5000
20 May 2019, 21:38

I have typically not been a big fan of QD mounts because my early exposure to them were cheap junky Chinese made shit. It wasn't until I got here (on WEVO) several years back that I had my first encounter with quality QD and that was the mount that came with my Atlas bipod.

With something of that quality, I could live with a QD. I could in theory just get a good QD mount and move the T2 I have between my two SBR's but that would get old after a while.

As far as storage, theft etc... at least for the past several years and whatnot all of my guns are kept in a very secure place with people around almost 24-7. Later on when I build my own estate with my own shooting gallery and lanes and what not I would probably build with storage, fire and security in mind.

As far as the height of the mount goes this is one downside to shooting by myself 90% of the time. I never get to try out other people's stuff. Trying something for 5 or 10 minutes often is an 'AHA!' moment or it's a nahhh moment.

Spending a lot of money on random stuff that isn't really up to par, or that I have zero experience with is part of the reason I am more picky about where and on what I spend my money these days.

alamo5000
20 May 2019, 21:47
Oh, so I should pull off the Larues and GDI mounts and smash them with a hammer and call Bill and Mr. Bobro, order new mounts because some dude on the internet said so, check...Reminds me of the standard OS response of "Colt, Glock, BCM" Everything is shit, if you disagree with us we will flame you, then ban you. Check that shit at the door dude...

Chill man. He has his own opinions. He's making educated comments and/or at least has a long history of doing so. It might not be the SAME opinion as me, you, UW, or whoever but that's no reason to go off on somebody who's been here doing good and contributing for so long. Just sayin.

Stone
20 May 2019, 22:19
Chill? Im not going to lose any sleep over it. That wasnt an opinion, that was BS. Opinions dont include pissing down peoples necks by adding ignorant comments. That shit has been going on for a long time on other forums. Theres no need for it here. Besides, I dont need a go between. And, we are moving on...

JGifford
21 May 2019, 00:10
Oh, so I should pull off the Larues and GDI mounts and smash them with a hammer and call Bill and Mr. Bobro, order new mounts because some dude on the internet said so, check...Reminds me of the standard OS response of "Colt, Glock, BCM" Everything else is shit, if you disagree with us we will flame you, then ban you. Check that shit at the door dude...

I've owned a few GDI mounts, and they were very sub-par. One the T2 mount, the cross-bolt apparatus hit the top of the 1913 valley and canted the sight by 20moa or so on the zero. A friends sourced at a different time, did the same thing. Visually crooked on the rail. That pretty much sealed the deal with GDI for me. Not good enough.

LaRue mounts are okay if you get them so tight you cannot QD them without using a molle strap under the lever to pry them off. In recent years, Mark has changed from "Stomp that fucker closed" to "like opening a beer can".

Bobro, I am not sure I am a fan of, either, due to all of the issues I've read about with their breaking "recoil feet", bolt studs, and so forth. The whole thing depends on spring power, which I don't like, but then, so does my scope to hold zero, so I'm kindof "unsure" when it comes to Bobro, but my personal experience is that they work okay.

I prefer "hard mounts" like the Nightforce, badger, et al. I think we are at a point where quality optics are more durable than QD mounts.

JGifford
21 May 2019, 00:29
State Farm. My HO policy is good to like 5K on firearms. But all the stuff on my rifles that has a QD is considered Personal property. Red dots, lights, etc,etc... A T2, X300u is an easy grand times each rifle. Adds up quick... So in the unlikely event of theft or fire or whatever I can recoop more.

I have SF, as well. Just buy a supplemental policy from them and cover it all by serial #. It's not much, and it eliminates guesswork.

UWone77
21 May 2019, 08:15
I didn’t know you guys were so attached to your mounts! [:D]

Eric
21 May 2019, 12:25
Gosh I'm using the factory mount on an Aimpoint Pro attached to my work rig. The horror!

Default.mp3
21 May 2019, 14:13
No love for the CompM5 here?

The Aimpoint PRO is probably the safest budget choice when buying new.

You can probably find used RMRs for a decent price these days, as people dump them for the ACRO and SRO.

UWone77
21 May 2019, 15:48
No love for the CompM5 here?

The Aimpoint PRO is probably the safest budget choice when buying new.

You can probably find used RMRs for a decent price these days, as people dump them for the ACRO and SRO.

The Comp5 is my favorite optic, followed by the T2

I still like full sized Aimpoints for 14.5 and 16" carbines. Bigger tube is not a bad thing for me.

FortTom
21 May 2019, 16:19
Except for my LR-10, 6.8 SPC and LMT, all of my AR's have Aimpoints. My favorites are T1's and T2's. I've used other's but always go back to Aimpoints. I thought the OP was looking for a "budget" red dot, so I recommended the PA. Not bad for the buck. I think I've got a different mount on every one, only have had bad experience with one and I don't recall what it was, now.

mustangfreek
21 May 2019, 16:41
I’m not much help.

But I’ve used the MRO shortly, Aimpoint PRO, many t1/h1 wannabes -Sparc AR, , primary arms etc..

Myself, picking up the dot on the minis is harder/slower for myself then say the PRO or MRO, which I briefly had in a trade bundle, got rid of it and the PRO . Tough times, but I’d like to pick up a MRO again.

I really liked the bigger tube or whatnot for finding the dot better..

alamo5000
21 May 2019, 17:06
Except for my LR-10, 6.8 SPC and LMT, all of my AR's have Aimpoints. My favorites are T1's and T2's. I've used other's but always go back to Aimpoints. I thought the OP was looking for a "budget" red dot, so I recommended the PA. Not bad for the buck. I think I've got a different mount on every one, only have had bad experience with one and I don't recall what it was, now.

I was looking at various options. True. If money were not an issue it would already be wearing a T2. I basically wanted to get a small list of options out there so I could see what other choices I have. The difference will basically be how long I have to save up to get the stuff I want.

Tyrannosaur
21 May 2019, 20:06
Aimpoint has the Comp M5s now too, just gotta find out who has it available for sale. But its pricey

BoilerUp
21 May 2019, 20:53
FWIW, I'm pretty sure both PA and Sig RDS are made by Holosun. I've got a cheapo PA micro (prior generation) that has worked fine. The Sig Romeo 5 gets good reviews for the price point.

Joelski
22 May 2019, 04:50
Just saw an H2 on a Geissele mount for $500 flat on M4C. That deal is like a sore pecker.

fledge
22 May 2019, 09:40
Here’s your deal:

https://www.primaryarms.com/trijicon-mro-red-dot-sight-2-moa

alamo5000
22 May 2019, 10:03
Here’s your deal:

https://www.primaryarms.com/trijicon-mro-red-dot-sight-2-moa

I was looking at those too. My question is an Aimpoint twice as good as that MRO?

FortTom
22 May 2019, 10:15
I was looking at those too. My question is an Aimpoint twice as good as that MRO? Don't have any experience with that optic, nor have I seen one but when you add another $72.00 for the mount, you're getting close too T1 and T2 money.

fledge
22 May 2019, 10:56
I was looking at those too. My question is an Aimpoint twice as good as that MRO?

Personal opinion: no. The MRO will serve your needs. Used ones are listed higher than this.

But you can go round in circles debating the pros and cons and value. This is a deal I’d jump on. I think T2s and M5s are overpriced.

fledge
22 May 2019, 10:56
Don't have any experience with that optic, nor have I seen one but when you add another $72.00 for the mount, you're getting close too T1 and T2 money.

Do share where you’re finding T2s with mount for $400!

UWone77
22 May 2019, 11:16
Don't have any experience with that optic, nor have I seen one but when you add another $72.00 for the mount, you're getting close too T1 and T2 money.

Aimpoint doesn't provide mounts either.

FortTom
22 May 2019, 11:38
Do share where you’re finding T2s with mount for $400!

I sense a bit of sarcasm. If it were just me and you, I'd tell you that "if it were up your ass, you'd know where to find it". But being the nice guy that I am, and you're always pretty cordial and helpful, the answer is nowhere. But if you're going to spend $400, you're not that far away from just saying screw it and buy the T2 or T1 that you wanted. That's all. Man, this place is starting to get a little "ARF15-ish". Good luck, hope you find what you were looking for.[:D]

PS, if the TRO is what you were looking for, Primary Arms is having, according to their email, a "big" sale on RDS today.

FT.[:D]

UWone77
22 May 2019, 12:46
Man, this place is starting to get a little "ARF15-ish".

I wouldn’t take it too seriously or personal. People are emotionally tied to their gear and purchases. Buy what works for you.

gatordev
22 May 2019, 13:05
Personal opinion: no. The MRO will serve your needs. Used ones are listed higher than this.

Questions that may or not may help Alamo, but I'm curious to the answer...

1. Does the MRO handle magnifiers well? One reason why I think the T2 can be worth the price is because of how good the dot looks under magnification with any kind of astigmatism. I never heard if the MRO had similar characteristics.

2. When I've looked through an MRO, the slight magnification was distracting, along with the tint. But I never shot with a MRO. Do you find the tint/mag to go away when actually shooting? The same can be said for a RMR RM06, but when I'm busy actually shooting a pistol with one, the mag all but goes away and the tint is barely noticeable (or maybe it's the other way around, but you get the point).

fledge
22 May 2019, 13:27
FT, no sarcasm intended. Just curious if you had a source since that MRO price is rock bottom for Alamo’s purposes. I can’t find any new T1 or T2 in the ballpark. You can practically buy 2 MROs for a T2s. I’d recommend it to any family or friend to jump on it at that price now!

Gator, I’ve no idea. I know the T2 fixed the magnifier problem of the T1s. But magnifiers don’t make sense to me and are an older solution. Bulky and low magnification. A Steiner P4Xi 1-4 is a better solution IMO and is in the $400 range.

FortTom
22 May 2019, 13:35
Aimpoint has the Comp M5s now too, just gotta find out who has it available for sale. But its pricey I think, not sure, but think I saw the M5 also on sale, but I can't remember if it was PA, or Optic's planet that had it. OP might do a search real quick if they're knocking off a good size chunk of cash. I don't think all models of RDS's were on sale, but if that MRO is what he has in his heart, I'd take a quick look, anyway.[:D]

FortTom
22 May 2019, 13:42
I wouldn’t take it too seriously or personal. People are emotionally tied to their gear and purchases. Buy what works for you.

Well, UW, in that case let me come rummage through your stuff. I'm sure you wouldn't take it personally if I picked up a thing or two, and took it home with me?

Obviously kidding. I like certain stuff, and others like other stuff, but I don't take it personally if they dis my stuff, if they can explain why, and show me a better way.[:D]

It's all good. Also, my ex is gone. I've paid off child support, then college tuitions, student loans and they are adults now. With that said, I notice a little bit of extra money in the till. To bad I had to wait until I was too old to do anything cool with it.[:D]

All is good.

gatordev
22 May 2019, 15:03
But magnifiers don’t make sense to me and are an older solution. Bulky and low magnification. A Steiner P4Xi 1-4 is a better solution IMO and is in the $400 range.

The beauty of this sport is that we can agree to disagree, despite what others may decree from on-high, based on individual usage. But I appreciate your candor in answering the question.

FortTom
22 May 2019, 15:40
The beauty of this sport is that we can agree to disagree, despite what others may decree from on-high, based on individual usage. But I appreciate your candor in answering the question.

Damn Gator, you screwed everything up and made us all sound like nice guys. You former squids screw everything up.[:D]

fledge
22 May 2019, 15:56

On-high. Haha. Yet the magnifiers look good in Stick’s pics for the clonish experience.

Based on Alamo’s OP, I don’t think he’d be interested in a 3x magnifier. Then again, if he manages to extend this into a dozen more pages he may end up with one!

FortTom
22 May 2019, 16:17
On-high. Haha. Yet the magnifiers look good in Stick’s pics for the clonish experience.

Based on Alamo’s OP, I don’t think he’d be interested in a 3x magnifier. Then again, if he manages to extend this into a dozen more pages he may end up with one!

The only thing I question, is buying a RDS and then spending a small fortune for a magnifier. Hell, if you're going to do all of that, why not go with a 1X4 or 6 or etc. scope? My instincts are if you buy a magnifier, you want to see a long ways, so why not buy a Vortex or other variable, depending what your budget is? That, a QD mount and some BUIS and you're covered for a lot of situations. You don't have to buy a $1500 Vortex, there are many good quality scopes and mounts that would serve you well for half of that.

Oh well, I hope whatever you do, it works out great for you.

alamo5000
22 May 2019, 17:34

Hahaha! I don't know about magnifiers but one thing that is an option for much later on is NV.

I will either get some kind of NV set up or I can possibly borrow one for.pig hunting.

While right now a T2 might be a bit of overkill unless something drastic happen I will eventually branch out to other fun things like pig blasting in the dark.

FortTom
22 May 2019, 17:46
You friggin' wuss, back in the day we hunted pigs at night with a standard quality 3X9 hunting scope. I hear they won't attack you if you're wearing pink combat , panties, or pink snake boots.[:D] NV for pigs is for pussies. Wish all of my old buds were here to give you hell about "NV for Pigs". I bet after the kill, you all share popsicles, fruity tuty kind, and root beer to celebrate.[:D]

voodoo_man
22 May 2019, 17:50
RE: MRO - I've tried everything in my power to break my MRO which I purchased as soon as they were available, and I could not yet do so. It's on an EDC AR of mine and it doesn't have any issues at all. With that said, I'd have purchased a green 2MOA MRO if given the chance to do it all over again. GDS is better than RDS in my opinion.

FortTom
22 May 2019, 17:54
RE: MRO - I've tried everything in my power to break my MRO which I purchased as soon as they were available, and I could not yet do so. It's on an EDC AR of mine and it doesn't have any issues at all. With that said, I'd have purchased a green 2MOA MRO if given the chance to do it all over again. GDS is better than RDS in my opinion.

Sounds good VM, hopefully when you get time you can post some results/review on these.

FT

BoilerUp
22 May 2019, 18:21
The only thing I question, is buying a RDS and then spending a small fortune for a magnifier. Hell, if you're going to do all of that, why not go with a 1X4 or 6 or etc. scope? My instincts are if you buy a magnifier, you want to see a long ways, so why not buy a Vortex or other variable, depending what your budget is? That, a QD mount and some BUIS and you're covered for a lot of situations. You don't have to buy a $1500 Vortex, there are many good quality scopes and mounts that would serve you well for half of that.

That's pretty much how I think about it, too. If I want magnification, I use an LPVO. I guess the flip side is the Razor 1-6 functions reasonable well as a RDS at 1x. Magnifers seem impractical to me, but I think I understand the allure. For a long time, I wanted the Eotech set up with the 4 dots and the magnifier, but now I'd much rather put that coin towards another Razor

FortTom
22 May 2019, 18:40
That's pretty much how I think about it, too. If I want magnification, I use an LPVO. I guess the flip side is the Razor 1-6 functions reasonable well as a RDS at 1x. Magnifers seem impractical to me, but I think I understand the allure. For a long time, I wanted the Eotech set up with the 4 dots and the magnifier, but now I'd much rather put that coin towards another Razor I think that if a person still has one and it works, fine. But with today's scopes, it just doesn't make sense to me. More shit, more weight, blah blah blah. With todays's 1X((name it), and many good ones to fit just about anyone's budget, scopes and magnifiers don't make sense, unless you have an older red dot and NEED magnification. I agree with your assessment, as far as that goes. Hell, I didn't like them when the "fantastic" 1 by *you name it" scopes came out. Not trying to be "passive/aggressive", but I guess to each his own.

FT

gatordev
22 May 2019, 18:42
But magnifiers don’t make sense to me and are an older solution. Bulky and low magnification. A Steiner P4Xi 1-4 is a better solution IMO and is in the $400 range.

One answer is that your usage only requires a dot 90+% of the time, but every so often you require a little more mag. For most LVPOs (but not all, of course), the RDS is going to be quicker and lighter. So the few times you need the magnifier, you either attach it or just flip it into "use mode" and do what you need to do.

Does every rifle need this for every use-case? Of course not. But when either a LVPO isn't needed, or a LVPO (that matches your usage...read: more capable which equals more expensive) on every rifle is cost-prohibitive, the magnifier fill a niche.

voodoo_man
22 May 2019, 18:51
Sounds good VM, hopefully when you get time you can post some results/review on these.

FT

I'll be writing up a review soon, it's in my queue.

Compared to a T1, which I've been beating up for the better part of several years, I can say that the MRO has done well in competition.

The only two things I've ever heard, one of which I could personally verify, was that in extreme cold (under 0F) the MRO would have function issues, which I could not verify and I attempted to freeze the optic several times to confirm this. The other is the optic turning off during firing. This was an issue of a bad battery. It is very easy to fix and I believe it is due to the possible tight tolerances.

FortTom
22 May 2019, 19:11
Voodoo, did the freezer thing with both the T1 and T2. Didn't get silly, like freezing them (especially for what they cost) and throwing them 30 feet onto a concrete floor, but they passed the condensation test with flying colors. I think, at least in the part of the country I live in, is a reasonable test. Alaska, maybe, but not N. KY.
As far as optics go, there's always going to be a new kid on the block, but if the last one was excellent to the user, then it's not going to immediately be a POS. Just a simple observation.
FT

FortTom
22 May 2019, 20:50
One answer is that your usage only requires a dot 90+% of the time, but every so often you require a little more mag. For most LVPOs (but not all, of course), the RDS is going to be quicker and lighter. So the few times you need the magnifier, you either attach it or just flip it into "use mode" and do what you need to do.

Does every rifle need this for every use-case? Of course not. But when either a LVPO isn't needed, or a LVPO (that matches your usage...read: more capable which equals more expensive) on every rifle is cost-prohibitive, the magnifier fill a niche.Boo Hiss, BS. I think that the democrats screwed us, and are using Gator as an excuse to not impeach trump. he..he..he...he...[:D]

voodoo_man
22 May 2019, 22:46
Voodoo, did the freezer thing with both the T1 and T2. Didn't get silly, like freezing them (especially for what they cost) and throwing them 30 feet onto a concrete floor, but they passed the condensation test with flying colors. I think, at least in the part of the country I live in, is a reasonable test. Alaska, maybe, but not N. KY.
As far as optics go, there's always going to be a new kid on the block, but if the last one was excellent to the user, then it's not going to immediately be a POS. Just a simple observation.
FT

I don't do the concrete thing, that's just youtube fodder for the derpers.

The freezer didn't do anything to the MRO, the thing just worked. I'm guessing the batteries probably were dying in the cold weather hence the flicker, and causation / correlation etc.

Default.mp3
23 May 2019, 09:07

Oh well, I hope whatever you do, it works out great for you.

FT[:D]IME, the red dot remains easier to use in unorthodox positions. I've run my Kahles against my T-2, and in weird positions, the T-2 was way faster for me (e.g., shooting under barricades). One can argue it's a training issue, but then again, if I can use gear to mitigate edge cases, why not? I'm currently looking at the 6x magnifier from Aimpoint, and keeping my RDSes on my short guns (which is not to say an 11.5" or 12.5" with a 1-6x isn't a great do-everything gun, just that my SBRs aren't focused on that).

fledge
23 May 2019, 10:16
Used H1 for sale for $425.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?215494-2-Aimpoint-Micro-H-1-(2-and-4-moa)

fledge
25 May 2019, 18:45
T2 with mount $645.

https://ar15safespace.com/shop/aimpoint-micro-t-2-2-moa-w-standard-mount/

Use code: memday19

Use code on any of their RDS on that site, including green dot MRO.