PDA

View Full Version : Newest Build - for my best friend

apmcdaniel
21 May 2019, 19:21
I've been wanting to build this gun for a while, but my work travel has been a little crazy since 2016. I got a promotion, and things have settled down. I have several AR projects that are lined up, but this one was most important. It's for my best friend, Darin. He and I've been friends since grade school. We both played football together, worked for each other's family businesses, and eventually went to work for the same state law enforcement agency.

Eventually we each went to work in advanced LEO positions with different county sheriff offices. Even then we found ways to work with one another on the job. He and I have been in a couple of life or death situations, and we probably owe each other our lives more than a couple of times.

After about a decade, we both went into the private sector in various jobs. We've settled into careers now that we've been in almost 20 yrs. He stayed in Kansas, I made my way to St. Louis. We've stayed in touch, see each other as much as possible. I'm Godfather to his children.

Two seminal movies came out whenwe were seniors in High School and freshmen in college: "Young Guns" and "Next of Kin". I couldn't tell you how many times we've seen those movies. Each movie had something about brotherhood and family that hit home for both of us. The song "Brothers" from Next of Kin, and the tombstone in Young Guns that had "Pals" scratched into it.

It was a no-brainer to incorporate those things into a rifle that commemorates our life-long friendship. I was already taking the receivers and handguard to 4Bush Weapons Refinishing Systems in Arnold, MO. Jeff and John knocked it out of the park. The engraving on the upper receiver is exactly as ordered, and the Cerakote work is excellent. I can't thank them enough.

We met in Kansas City this past weekend with our wives, stayed at the Hilton President Hotel, and are an amazing meal at The Capital Grille. Afterwards we went back to the hotel, and I presented the AR to Darin. Needless to say, there were some happy tears, the remembrance of times gone by. We had a great time, and he has an awesome rifle.

Parts list after pictures.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190522/a927e81b375fc848f6d67af746407d65.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190522/d4c668f75496442e06186048d49c9b60.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190522/7418a29c4b8af353b6a2ff03b569b8ac.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190522/f00aed7368515f6ef944469db1d0140a.jpg

Matched receiver set - Dahmer Arms
Faxon 18" premium barrel
LaRue Tactical flat faced trigger
TR Enabling BCG
JP Rifles silent captured buffer spring assembly
Ergo Grip F93 stock & deluxe handgrip
Geissele MK I, Mod II SMR
Geissele charging handle
Bobro low-pro BUIS
Seekins muzzle brake (place holder for suppressor mount)
Geissele gas block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoilerUp
21 May 2019, 20:49
I had a friend once.

Nice build. Awesome gift.

I hope he has huge hands. Those fat grips are even fat by my standards, and I have huge hands.

Jerry R
22 May 2019, 05:17
Great looking rifle, great Friend.

FortTom
22 May 2019, 06:08
Has he seen it yet? If not, he's going to flip out when he does. What a great gift for a friend.[:D]

FT[:D]

Joelski
22 May 2019, 18:48
Has he seen it yet? If not, he's going to flip out when he does. What a great gift for a friend.[:D]

FT[:D]Not much for RTFP, are ya?

[:D]

apmcdaniel
22 May 2019, 20:30
I had a friend once.

Nice build. Awesome gift.

I hope he has huge hands. Those fat grips are even fat by my standards, and I have huge hands.

Thanks!

Darin's not huge, but he specifically asked for the grip. I agree, they are big. I prefer the original Ergo Grip.

apmcdaniel
22 May 2019, 20:31
Great looking rifle, great Friend.

Thanks, I appreciate it. It was a fun build.

apmcdaniel
22 May 2019, 20:34

FT[:D]

He did flip out, you are correct! [emoji846] We both got a little teary-eyed over the whole thing.

UWone77
22 May 2019, 21:15
He did flip out, you are correct! [emoji846] We both got a little teary-eyed over the whole thing.

#nohomo

apmcdaniel
22 May 2019, 21:18
#nohomo

LMAO! #notasfarasyouknow

Aragorn
23 May 2019, 12:00
Awesome build. Awesome gesture.

#nohomo

LMAO! #notasfarasyouknow

#Nojudgement

Joelski
23 May 2019, 17:19
LMAO! #notasfarasyouknow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk#Notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat

FortTom
23 May 2019, 18:34
#nohomo
Man UW you are one sick puppy![:D]

UWone77
23 May 2019, 18:41
Man UW you are one sick puppy![:D]

#lovewins

mustangfreek
24 May 2019, 01:17
Awesome!

That’s quite a nice rifle, and that’s awesome on your part. Well done.

I had a friend once.

I lol’d at this..

I’ll hang out with ya and do gun stuff....lol...come up north and bring some of them nfa goodies..[BD]

apmcdaniel
24 May 2019, 09:06
I can't lie - the hashtag posts on this thread have made me genuinely laugh out loud this week. Y'all are awesome! [emoji41][emoji106]

Joelski
24 May 2019, 15:07
It's great when everybody's off their rag at the same time. [:)]

OneGearhead
17 July 2020, 19:32
Thats a hell of a gesture. Rifle turned out great!!

apmcdaniel
17 July 2020, 22:42
Thats a hell of a gesture. Rifle turned out great!!

Thanks very much! I was really pleased with the end result. 4Bush does awesome work.