PDA

View Full Version : Mid-distance Optic Recommendation?

michschi
20 April 2009, 08:06
I have a scope on my AR right now for long distance shooting. I was wondering if there is a decent optic out there that I can get for $300 or under for the closer up stuff. 1 to 4X max. Maybe I am just being to cheap but I thought I would ask!

Army Chief
20 April 2009, 08:57
I can't really recommend anything in that price range, as worthwhile variables tend to start at $800 or so and prices go up from there -- exponentially, in some cases. You'll occasionally hear about pseudo-tactical offerings from Burris and the like, but as a general rule, either an optic is worthy of the rifle, or it isn't: those that are will generally cost about the same as the rifle you're mounting them on, quite honestly.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you refer to long distance shooting, since I'm not entirely sure what the configuration of your AR might be; that said, 1-4x variables are generally designed for medium distance work with a CQB capability. Assuming you're after a 0-200 meter solution, then you're likely shopping in the right class, notwithstanding the aforementioned pricing issues.

On the other hand, if your definition of closer-up stuff is more like 0-100 meters or less, then you're solidly in Red Dot Sight (RDS) territory, and should probably be looking for a used Aimpoint or an EOTech. As before, there are cheaper alternatives here, but they are cheaper for a reason, and the reason isn't good.

Shop around for an Aimpoint M2 or M3 that someone is selling to fund an M4 or T1, and you might find a deal that lands you a quality component at a price that is more in line with your objectives.

AC

Venom
20 April 2009, 09:04
mods, if I'm out of my line, pls stop me, but;

michschi, one "?" is enough for a thread. Plus if it's a thread title, try to find a better headline, such as: "what optic" " optic search" "optics recommendation"

Army Chief
20 April 2009, 09:13
I addressed the title issue to aid in future searches.

AC

michschi
20 April 2009, 09:17
mods, if I'm out of my line, pls stop me, but;

michschi, one "?" is enough for a thread. Plus if it's a thread title, try to find a better headline, such as: "what optic" " optic search" "optics recommendation"

I apologize for not having a adequite title for you, but why would you even post if you are being couterproductive?

bigcoastie
20 April 2009, 09:24
You could also go with an eotech the 511 or 512 are fairly cheap (usually around 350ish) You can find them used for even cheaper and they have an intergrated mount so you can pretty much use it as is. Unless you're doing precision work a 1x is probably the best bet.

The other option is a MRD, Mini Red Dots like the burris fast fire, doc optic etc. you can get a quick disconnect base and red dot for around 350.00 http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=99

Or you can go a little cheaper on them http://tacticalnightvision.com/red_dot_sights.htm
has a few options around 130.00-200.00 that might fit your budget.

michschi
20 April 2009, 09:30
Thanks Coastie, you been alot of help!

Venom
20 April 2009, 09:35
I apologize for not having a adequite title for you, but why would you even post if you are being couterproductive?

it's not about me, it's about keeping the forum and the community tidy and clear and not turning it into another "1 subject ,2000 threads" forum.
Also by giving a clear threadtitle, people first of all see if the thread is of any interest to them and more importantly, you can find this thread easier if you're doing a search for a certain subject or question.
but apart from that, thank you for apologizing. :rolleyes:

---

my suggestion would be try to go with the "used but new condition" reddot/holographic sights (aimpoint/eotech). you can score decent hits at med distances, although it gets a bit more challenging when reaching the 150-200m marks, and have a sight that works perfectly at up close ranges.

michschi
20 April 2009, 09:45
I like the idea of the scope with a mini red dot mounted on the scope. Is this something anyone else is using and if so is it effective? And, what scope would you recommend for reaching out a bit farther!

Venom
20 April 2009, 10:44
what's your budget? under 300$ wont get you far.

michschi
20 April 2009, 11:02
what's your budget? under 300$ wont get you far.

Well I got plenty more, I just wanted to try and be cost efficent. What are you recommendations otherwise!

Uglyduck
20 April 2009, 11:31
The Millet DMS-1 is a 1-4x budget optic that is popular. You can find them for around $200. The illuminated reticle isn't daylight visible. If you have more hooch spring for an ACOG or an Accupoint. The TR24 just came out and has some improvements over the TR21. Can't go wrong with Trij. This link (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807&highlight=emerging+optics) is to another thread that may prove helpful.

Cameron
20 April 2009, 11:53
0-300 yards EOTech, AimPoint... a lot of red dots to choose from.
0-800 yards Leupold 1.5-5, IOR 1.1-4.... again a lot of low power (1-6) scopes to chose from

I just don't think $300 will get something that will hold zero, and provide the glass necessary for making the hits. Even the 1.5-6 Burris is $750

Cameron

louie
21 April 2009, 16:03
If you're interested in a red dot, you may be able to find a Bushnell HoloSight for under $300.00.

There are several Chinese knock-off red dots out there too, although I can't recommend any off hand. Addax Tactical has a Bushnell Trophy ($155.00) and a Vortex Strikefire ($149.99), again, I have no info on either.

If you can swing another Franklin or so, Rainier Arms has some nice Eotech red dots for under $500.00. Take a peek: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=optics/scopes_eotech

ETA...

Midway has an Aimpoint CS Red Dot Sight 26mm Tube 1x 2 MOA Dot with Integrated Picatinny-Style Mount Matte on sale for $426.25.

TehLlama
26 April 2009, 15:25
Millett's DMS-1 mounted via Burris XTR rings would get the nod from me at that price range, but there are great offerings just above that price range as well. It's no world-beating optic, but will get the job done at your price range.

federalist22
27 April 2009, 02:18
I managed to get Optics Planet to give me an Aimpoint CompML3 2MOA dot for $426 (w/ cover, flip caps, and free Gerber Suspension multi-tool) after they were out of the CompC3 ($375) and tried to offer me an alternate sale. I like my new CompML3. Had to do it over the phone to get that price.

federalist22
27 April 2009, 02:21
Has anyone tried the new Burris AR-332 (3x-32mm) Tube Tactical Prism Red Dot Sight($299)?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-ar-332-3x-32mm-prism-red-dot-sight.html

The Burris AR-332 3x-32mm Tube Tactical Prism Red Dot Sight is rugged, compact, waterproof and comes with a unique Ballistic / Close Quarters reticle that performs with a bullet drop compensation out to 500 yards. Burris provides this red dot scope with integrated lens covers, multi-coated lenses and a 1.5" sunshade. --- Optics Planet.

Ryo
30 April 2009, 23:16
I would also say Millet DMS1 also for 300 range. Personelly I would spend more to get a better one.

I have the following, all of which are good for their purpose:
Aimpoint T1 - great for light carry. Good optic, but 4 MOA.
Eotech 553 - great for my mid or carbine with magnifier. Good for CQB and the flip magnifier for little more range
Bushnell var to 24x - reach out and touch someone, on my LW long barrel
Accupoint TR21 1.25 to 4x - haven't tried yet, but feels like good for my middy
Accupoint TR22 2.5x to 10x - haven't tried yet, feels like a middy or longer, definitely not for my patrol rifle due to it being huge.

Venom
1 May 2009, 00:32
I also thought about getting an accupoint 1.25-4 for a middy. Price seems reasonable.

Ryo
1 May 2009, 10:46
Accupoint looks very good when I looked through it. The reticle is very clear whether in dim lighting or bright lighting. Wish they had the 1-4x out at the time I bought. Any case I got this at a stealing price, used with LaRue mount. I think the only confusing thing about Accupoints is what reticle type to get.. there's so many choices. I have the Amber and it seems pretty good.

Venom
1 May 2009, 13:25
did you get the triangle or "zhe german" ?

what scopecovers do you use with the 1.25-4x Accupoint? ( whats the size for the front and the rear?)Are there butlercreeks in that size?

Thanks guys

hoodwink
4 May 2009, 06:52
The Strikefire is as good as you can get for the price. It holds up decent at the range, I now use it on my "hawg" configuration. I'm happy with it. IMO. While the glass is not 1,000 bucks worth, it definately is clear. Check out Sportsman's Guide, or go to Vortex web site. [:D]

Stickman
4 May 2009, 10:33
did you get the triangle or "zhe german" ?

what scopecovers do you use with the 1.25-4x Accupoint? ( whats the size for the front and the rear?)Are there butlercreeks in that size?

Thanks guys

I use the triangle, and there are caps that fit. I've used the ADM and Bobro mounts with great repeatability and no complaints or concerns of any sort.

Venom
4 May 2009, 11:38
could you give me the sizes ? greatly appreciated

jp0319
8 May 2009, 20:12
Triji Accupoint FTW

Ryo
8 May 2009, 20:26
It comes with yellow tinted scope covers. Non flip, just elastic bands.
I have the standard reticle which is the yellow triangle. I believe Stickman uses the red if I recall my IM conversation with him.

Cameron
8 May 2009, 20:38
I know it is not a $300 scope, but I recently bought a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm MK4 M2 illuminated. I have had it for about a month now and I am very impressed with it for a mid range AR scope. It is rock solid and the SPR reticle is fast for ranging and hold overs, then with the M2 BDC turrets longer range shots become a snap. In addition to the 5.56 62gr turret I called Leupold and bought the extra 5.56 77gr BDC turret for $35 delivered and it works perfect. I bought the scope NIB but second hand for $850

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/camz__2009/GandG/LaRue.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/camz__2009/GandG/Leupold2.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/camz__2009/3AR15s/DDSPR01c-1.jpg

rob_s
9 May 2009, 04:26
I've been looking very hard at the VXIII version of that scope that sells for nearly half as much. Have a local Leupold rep that's wanting to come out and shoot with us that I want to discuss the differences with.

jp0319
9 May 2009, 06:37
I've been looking very hard at the VXIII version of that scope that sells for nearly half as much. Have a local Leupold rep that's wanting to come out and shoot with us that I want to discuss the differences with.

Rob Maybe my roman is off but what is VXIII ?

jp0319
9 May 2009, 06:39
So you like the lupold well then? I am torn between the lupold and the newest accupoint. I like the BDC capibility the lupold has but like the true 1-4x the triji posesses plus the better illumination.

rob_s
9 May 2009, 06:54
Rob Maybe my roman is off but what is VXIII ?
Vari-X III, sorry.
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-5-5x20mm-illum-reticle/

Cohibra45
9 May 2009, 10:10
Of course, this is going to be your rifle and as such, you will be making the final decision on what optics. I would seriously ask what exactly you are wanting out of your rifle and what are you going to do with it. There really is no one size fits all for the AR or all of us would be using it!!!

I have a LMT MRP CQB Piston and I purchased the Millett DMS-1 with an American Defense Recon mount. The cost of scope and mount was a little less than $400, including shipping. This is not the best scope by any means, but my glass is pretty good and the reticle has 11 brightness settings. The circle/dot arrangement is pretty fast, at least for me and is accurate enough to accurately shoot MOA at 100yds. It is a 1MOA dot and 40MOA circle (20 above and below) so you can use it ranging also.;) The only draw back I have with the scope is it is heavy and I am now thinking of selling it and saving the money for two optics. First will be the new EOTech XPS-0 for fun run and gun, the second will probably a Trijicon Aimpoint for hunting. Yes, this will be a lot more money, but, it will bring me closer to what I want out of my AR.

Would I trust that DMS-1 for saving my or my families life? No. However, it really is a well made scope, just heavy for me. If I want something that I would feel comfortable taking to battle, my choices might be different.

Good luck and pm me if you want to talk a little more on my experiences with my DMS-1.

jmart
12 May 2009, 17:36
[QUOTE=Cameron;9710]I know it is not a $300 scope, but I recently bought a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm MK4 M2 illuminated. I have had it for about a month now and I am very impressed with it for a mid range AR scope. It is rock solid and the SPR reticle is fast for ranging and hold overs, then with the M2 BDC turrets longer range shots become a snap. In addition to the 5.56 62gr turret I called Leupold and bought the extra 5.56 77gr BDC turret for $35 delivered and it works perfect. I bought the scope NIB but second hand for $850

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/camz__2009/GandG/LaRue.jpg

How far out have you verified that the 77 grain BDC turret matches the actual trajectory?

billt
15 May 2009, 08:35
Does it have to be glass? If you want a good close to mid range sight, I've got this one on my LWRC CSAT rifle. It works beautifully, and sight acquisition couldn't be faster. Bill T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV7SERiVP5U&feature=channel_page