PDA

View Full Version : Check out this upper reliever and buffer wear... roll with it or ?

mustangfreek
22 July 2019, 02:28
Hey fellas.. little backstory....and I’ll try to not make it as long as that Alamo guy...[BD]

Just a helped a family friends son..that grew up with ours..build his first AR..a 10.5” pistol..well that got met juices flowing as I had a running 10.5” pistol up until a year ago or so, as I robbed a few parts here, swapped some around and it ended up into a box of about 3/4 of a pistol..

So now kinda motivated to get mine up and going again..So I dug the stuff out and just checking it out

From the get go I had problems first with a Aero carrier...another funny back story for another day...
So looking at the upper and bcg, it has worn slight grooves in the upper...this is under 500rds probably as I kinda got burnt on it and just put it away..

Alright so couple hundred rds with aero carrier, then swapped in a Rainier carrier.

Still chewing it up...now I know some wear is all right but in all the ones I’ve had, built or helped..never had one like this..

So #1 , how much wear is acceptable? Should I just roll with it or get a new one?

#2 stupid buffer face is getting beat up...from the retaining pin..not sure why as when you close the upper, the bcg pushes back the buffer slightly as it’s suppose to.. but it’s still beating itself up on the pin?

Ya ya on the spikes...I built this in 2012’ish and never touched anything since..lol..

Comments, suggestions, etc? I’m the broke bastard and always try to use what I can...till I can..I would of rushed out and grabbed one..but I need a hand guard, trigger and few small pieces still.

mustangfreek
22 July 2019, 02:33
Sorry..Damn auto correct....Title= upper reliever...lol

Back to topic... should I find another upper? Along with the lower/buffer issue?

The upper is a fortis, lower is a gen 2 Aero.

Joelski
22 July 2019, 03:54
Check this out:

https://gallowayprecision.com/ar-15/offset-buffer-retainer-for-AR-15-rifles/

Former11B
22 July 2019, 04:11
Who makes the lower? The retaining pin channel looks like it’s milled pretty far forward

As far as the upper (same brand as lower?) I’ll take a look after my drive to work

mustangfreek
22 July 2019, 04:30
Check this out:

Thanks for reminding me....I’ve seen These..just had forgot who made them

Who makes the lower? The retaining pin channel looks like it’s milled pretty far forward

As far as the upper (same brand as lower?) I’ll take a look after my drive to work

It probably lay got lost in my verbiage...lol

Parts list is/was

Aero std. gen 2 lower
Old Fortis upper
Rainier barrel and bcg
Woa lower parts
Rainier tube
Spikes st-2 buffer , unsure of what carb length spring

Again when I shut the upper , the bcg clearly pushes the buffer off the pin .060 thou or so.. but it’s beating the buffer face....weird as I haven’t seen any of my others with any damage as mentioned..

Gun never had a problem..ran fine, just seemed to chew itself from the get go...

Former11B
22 July 2019, 06:54
Can you take a picture of the lower like this:

One picture with the buffer itself installed and one with it removed

And if TWO BCGs are carving up the upper, it seems like it’s out of spec

UWone77
22 July 2019, 10:22
What length handguard do you need?

Joelski
22 July 2019, 14:53
Sounds like an out of spec receiver set. The bottom is doing what it's doing and the upper is combining a tightass fit with slamfucking the buffer tube. I have a Cerro forge upper that didn't like my Fathom BCG, but ran my AXTS one just fine and AFAIK those are from the same fabricator. My guess would be he needs an extra power spring, and at least an H2 buffer to calm down all that pulverizing.

mustangfreek
22 July 2019, 14:55
What length handguard do you need?

Well It’s for this old 10.5” RA barrel...So id like a 9.5-10”

mustangfreek
22 July 2019, 14:57
few Pics of the buffer pin area

Joelski
22 July 2019, 14:57
Well It’s for this old 10.5” RA barrel...So id like a 9.5-10”

You don't want that old piece of shit. box it up and send it to me.

Joelski
22 July 2019, 14:59
few Pics of the buffer pin area

That looks off by 3/16" at least!! :eek:

mustangfreek
22 July 2019, 14:59
I hear ya joelski...this whole build has been a little off

The dumb spikes st-2 buffer is a H2 in sense. 4.3oz vs 4.6oz of a true H2.

It’s just what I had way back when I put this together

mustangfreek
22 July 2019, 15:02
Another pic minus tube, pin etc

UWone77
22 July 2019, 19:57
Damn, it's been a minute since I've seen a Black Hole Weaponry, Rainier Arms Select barrel... Let me look in the bin and see if I have a 9.5 floating around.

Joelski
22 July 2019, 21:05
Damn, it's been a minute since I've seen a Black Hole Weaponry, Rainier Arms Select barrel... Let me look in the bin and see if I have a 9.5 floating around.I call dibs on any 416 or SR 16 uppers ya find rolling around in the junk drawer!

mustangfreek
23 July 2019, 01:41
Damn, it's been a minute since I've seen a Black Hole Weaponry, Rainier Arms Select barrel... Let me look in the bin and see if I have a 9.5 floating around.

Haha..ya this upper was built in 2013 or so..

It’s been a good shooter so far and it’s what I got for now.

Awesome

Stone
23 July 2019, 14:51
I call dibs on any 416 or SR 16 uppers ya find rolling around in the junk drawer!

With UW's junk drawer alone you can probably build 4-5 high end rifles...:P

mustangfreek
23 July 2019, 15:42
Any thoughts here fellas?

Former11B
23 July 2019, 17:06
Any thoughts here fellas?

Would backing the buffer tube out one turn leave enough lip on it to hold the retaining pin in place?

Do you have another brand buffer to compare the spikes one to? Trying to see the thickness of the part where the BCG contacts (from the side)

And as far as the upper goes....if TWO good BCGs are gouging it up...I’d lean towards out of spec. An Anderson/Aero/PSA one on sale might be a good purchase (worst case scenario if you replace it)

I’d love to find a 10.5” RA Select on sale/clearance somewhere

I'll likely put another 5k through this FN barrel and get an RA Ultramatch for it

mustangfreek
23 July 2019, 17:30
Would backing the buffer tube out one turn leave enough lip on it to hold the retaining pin in place?

No, I already thought about that. That was the KAK tube and another MILSPEC does the sane

Do you have another brand buffer to compare the spikes one to? Trying to see the thickness of the part where the BCG contacts (from the side)

No H2’s but a few std carbine ones.. I’ll post up a pic later

And as far as the upper goes....if TWO good BCGs are gouging it up...I’d lean towards out of spec. An Anderson/Aero/PSA one on sale might be a good purchase (worst case scenario if you replace it)

Did you just recommend a Anderson on WEVO..lol

Are you saying the upper or bcg? As I was thinking about it this RA carrier has done both this to a aero upper and this fortis upper..

I’d love to find a 10.5” RA Select on sale/clearance somewhere

I'll likely put another 5k through this FN barrel and get an RA Ultramatch for it

Answered

mustangfreek
23 July 2019, 17:36
Not sure what your asking for 11b , but here’s a pic from of the t2 and std carbine buffer, their identical

Former11B
23 July 2019, 17:37
I was under the impression (and I may have misread) that the upper was getting damaged by two different BCGs, not two uppers and one BCG.

Is there a bunch of wear on the cam pin portion that rotates under the gas key?

Former11B
23 July 2019, 17:39
Not sure what your asking for 11b , but here’s a pic from of the t2 and std carbine buffer, their identical

That answered it. I was curious if the portion that above the spring that contacts the retaining pin was for some reason too thick. Doesn’t look like it

mustangfreek
23 July 2019, 17:46
Sorry, no same carrier in both uppers

Don’t see any abnormal wear per say

Former11B
24 July 2019, 10:16
Is the top of the Bolt carrier worn? Trying to think what would contact both sides like that

UWone77
24 July 2019, 10:47
Is the top of the Bolt carrier worn? Trying to think what would contact both sides like that

Same... maybe I'm missing something obvious.

At this point, I'd just keep running it, if it indeed does work. It's likely only going to wear so much before it "mates" up with whatever is causing the wear.

mustangfreek
24 July 2019, 15:06

Yes the top of the carrier, both sides are clearly visibly worn a lot on both top corners, where it rides

Same... maybe I'm missing something obvious.

At this point, I'd just keep running it, if it indeed does work. It's likely only going to wear so much before it "mates" up with whatever is causing the wear.

That’s been my thought ever since I seen the wear happening right from the get go.

There not just rub marks per say, those are actual little grooves in the upper, easily can catch your fingernail on them.. Also looked back from an old pic I have, the 2nd groove in the right side is new/newer.

The buffer getting beat to hell bugs me also..just never had/built or seen any that had these problems.

If that all makes sense..lol..might just try the other lower I got and swap some parts around...again..

Stone
24 July 2019, 15:21
"At this point, I'd just keep running it, if it indeed does work. It's likely only going to wear so much before it "mates" up with whatever is causing the wear."

This. It just looks like over effect from tolerance stacking. Functionality will always trump wear and tear as long as its not to the point that it affects functionality. As long as it goes bang everytime, ejection is decent, locks back after the last round and hits where your aiming you should be GTG. BCGs need to dig in and find their sweet spot in the upper receiver, its steel on aluminum.

mustangfreek
25 July 2019, 14:43
I hear ya guys..

It’s just bugs my ocd , guess I’ll just run this mofo till it has problems.

I’m a side note...Good recommendation on a different buffer spring, don’t know where this came from but it’s a noisy/springy mofo..

Former11B
25 July 2019, 18:22
I hear ya guys..

It’s just bugs my ocd , guess I’ll just run this mofo till it has problems.

I’m a side note...Good recommendation on a different buffer spring, don’t know where this came from but it’s a noisy/springy mofo..

Geissele Super 42. Comes with an H buffer also

mustangfreek
27 July 2019, 13:19
Go down in buffer size?

If anything I was thinking of trying a true H2 or H3

bfoosh006
17 March 2020, 21:17
Just thinking out loud... but I can't help but wonder if you have some BCG tilt ( ? ) going on.

I am thinking this because of the wear on the buffer face, it is not evenly worn.

Just a shot in the dark... but I don't recall seeing a buffer face only worn on one side.

mustangfreek
17 March 2020, 23:57
^^

Very well could of been..won’t know now..most parts are gone.

juanlien
13 May 2020, 10:33
Check this out:

nice sharehttps://babang.xyz/assets/12/o.png

Joelski
15 May 2020, 04:33
hEy StANg, uPPer riLeeVrS ain't AwL dAt 1337z. I Got teH wIMinZ hErR nIcKs iz DuBbL DeE'z but sHee paCk teh mEEn AyZ!

rxer311
15 May 2020, 12:53

One of the best barrels I ever owned...and I stupidly sold it off.

rxer311
15 May 2020, 12:56
My 2 cents for what its worth...

If its been working I would keep running it. Sometimes things just don't look right, but function fine.

mustangfreek
15 May 2020, 15:49
hEy StANg, uPPer riLeeVrS ain't AwL dAt 1337z. I Got teH wIMinZ hErR nIcKs iz DuBbL DeE'z but sHee paCk teh mEEn AyZ!

Lol...ya I seen that misspelling right after I posted...can’t edit thAt part...

mustangfreek
15 May 2020, 15:51
My 2 cents for what its worth...

If its been working I would keep running it. Sometimes things just don't look right, but function fine.

If ya missed it, upper is broke down and used the carrier in another upper with nothing so far... Just gonna use the upper reliever...[BD]...for a 300 blackout upper ...I think..van is in jail and I think I need to revisit the rd , now that I can make it quiet..[:D]