PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Nut Indexing Shim

Waveman
25 April 2009, 16:41
Does any one know where I can buy some AR15 Barrel Nut Indexing Shims. I am concerned about the amount of torque required to get to the next hole past 30 foot pounds -- like 90+ foot pound of torque. I am mounting a Laure Tactical rail.

Thanks

Stickman
26 April 2009, 09:13
If you use a DD Lite or DD RIS series rail, there are no barrel nut holes to line up, you can torque to exactly what you want. Very simple, and very solid. The Vltor VIS is another rail which doesn't require lining it up.

Not exactly the info you were looking for, but I don't have an answer for your question.

Waveman
26 April 2009, 10:28
Thanks Stickman, I will definitely look into those for the next one. For this project I have been told to keep tighting and backing off until I get the alignment with the toque I want. Also Randall at AR15barrels.com has shims but I haven't been able to contact him. Emails bounced back.

Best,
Waveman

Stickman
26 April 2009, 14:02
The idea is to tighten, and loosen several times to mesh the threads and even everything out. After that, you should have a good idea where your alignment will be. Tighten to that point, do not loosen it.

Waveman
26 April 2009, 15:40
Did just that and things lined up with 60 ft lbs torque so I am happy. Thanks for your help.