PDA

View Full Version : My Second Forging Class

rxer311
14 September 2019, 07:48
After my last attempt at knife making was pretty successful I have been itching to take on a more ambitious project. One of my buddies at work was really wanting to go so I signed up to do a class with him. Usually a class has up to 12 people in it, but by good fortune us 2 were the only ones who signed up for last nights class.

He made a railroad spike knife like I did last time, but as I said I was a bit more ambitious this time around. The master blacksmith had a ton of time to spend with each of us individually and his journeyman was there as well.

He handed me a scrap piece of 1075 tool steel and we got to work. The tool steel was a bit more difficult to work with but since it was a small class I was able to work on the power hammer and hydraulic press to draw out the steel before I hammered in the shape.

I really wanted to create a classic karambit and I accomplished my goal. Its actually a larger knife than what I originally set out to make, but it turned out pretty awesome. I wish I had more time on the grinder to really shape it and clean it up a bit more, but with only a 4 hour class, I only had so much time.

After I finished my knife I cold blued it for some corrosion resistance then oiled it with some Seal 1 CLP. I did a paracord wrap on the handle.

So here is the second knife I forged with my own hands!

https://i.imgur.com/6CXqvfX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/doHxqWx.jpg

Joelski
14 September 2019, 09:21
Nice work. What kind of heat treat/quench did you give it? I'm more familiar with 1095 than 1075; I assume it's a high carbon steel?

rxer311
14 September 2019, 09:36
It is a high carbon steel. Oil quench then tempered.

rxer311
14 September 2019, 09:46
And 1075 isn't quite as hard as 1095 but is a bit easier to work with (from what I understand). This is the main reason the smith recommended it for my second project. Better than a railroad spike which is not high carbon, but still easy to work.

Uffdaphil
14 September 2019, 10:10
Love it! That uneven ridge gives it a chipped obsidian vibe.

Jerry R
14 September 2019, 11:17
Nicely done, Sir.

MoxyDave
14 September 2019, 14:46
Nice work. I love to see people doing things with their hands [:)]