PDA

View Full Version : Troy Diamondhead BUIS

DepletedUranium
29 April 2009, 12:50
Ok, so while cruising around and trying to find a BUIS iron sight to buy I was referred to the Troy BUIS by a lot of people so i decided to purchase them, while looking for some good deals i came across their new generation diamondhead sight and as always have a few questions for those of you who have had experience with them.

1. How do they compare to the older version of the circular sight, are they better or worse, is the sight picture established faster or slower, and what is your overall opinion about them.

I've heard that they're better than the circular ones but wanted to get some opinions from people who have actually ran or used them before jumping to any conclusions, thank you.
-Dep

Stickman
30 April 2009, 12:16
There have been a lot of attempts to improve on the circular "peep" sight, but its still the standard, and for good reason. I've tried several of the variants, and never found them overly spectacular for my own uses.

DepletedUranium
30 April 2009, 17:33
I see, could you clarify what your own use is im just curious, i plan on using this rifle strictly as CQB with a t-1 micro on a larue mount and the sights are just backup but since im getting a backup i might as well get some of the best out there and i've heard people refer to the diamondhead ones as better, could you also clarify why the "peep" ones are still better please is the target acquisition faster, etc.., thank you.

Stickman
30 April 2009, 19:56
The human eye autocenters things when placed in a circle, even with little children. I've used diamand/ square/ traingle sights, and none of them have worked better for me, students, or others I've worked and/ or shot with.

The military isn't using them, law enforcement isn't using them, most shooters and hunters aren't using them, and these are concepts which have come and gone over the years. If you look through old catalogs you will find similar ideas and concepts.

Think about it this way, how hard is it to find the center of a circle? Do you really think there is a more even shape out there?

DepletedUranium
1 May 2009, 07:05
Well that's what this site is claiming

The DiamondHead Sight's uniquely shaped apertures allow your eye to place the front sight post perfectly in the center of the rear aperture quicker and with greater precision. The sight picture is so robust that you can shoot with both eyes open in many scenarios, and you can shoot accurately at much longer distances with the large aperture than with conventional round apertures.

Why is the DiamondHead faster and more accurate shot after shot? Remember, rear sights are blurry during aiming. The simple fact is that it's easier for your eye to find the exact center of a blurry diamond than it is to find the exact center of a blurry circle (and it's even easier and quicker for your eye with the added posts at the corners of the diamond). Especially during high speed, high stress shooting, your eye needs reference points. The DiamondHead provides them.

The other main reason the DiamondHead sight is better than a round aperture is because round apertures don't give you a truly ROUND picture of the front sight and target. The front sight tower of your rifle obscures the bottom portion of the rear sight aperture. This causes the bottom part of the round aperture to be flattened - not round. The result is that it is hard for your eye to quickly make an accurate decision about how high up in this flattened circle is the exact center. Take a look at your own sights - you'll see what we mean. The 3:00 o'clock and 9:00 o'clock corners of the DiamondHead aperture completely eliminate this problem.

and they have a bunch of articles written by people who have used them, not that i know any of them but they claim it works, but i know you stick i've known you for a while so i know you don't bs and you are right the military doesn't use them neither does LE so im just trying to get to the bottom of this because i wanna purchase the best sight that'll work for me and maybe ill just have to try it out for myself, but im trying to get as much intel on the subject at hand from experienced shooters before i go ahead and make my decision [bash]

Stickman
1 May 2009, 10:45
Well that's what this site is claiming

The DiamondHead Sight's uniquely shaped apertures allow your eye to place the front sight post perfectly in the center of the rear aperture quicker and with greater precision. The sight picture is so robust that you can shoot with both eyes open in many scenarios, and you can shoot accurately at much longer distances with the large aperture than with conventional round apertures.

Why is the DiamondHead faster and more accurate shot after shot? Remember, rear sights are blurry during aiming. The simple fact is that it's easier for your eye to find the exact center of a blurry diamond than it is to find the exact center of a blurry circle (and it's even easier and quicker for your eye with the added posts at the corners of the diamond). Especially during high speed, high stress shooting, your eye needs reference points. The DiamondHead provides them.

The other main reason the DiamondHead sight is better than a round aperture is because round apertures don't give you a truly ROUND picture of the front sight and target. The front sight tower of your rifle obscures the bottom portion of the rear sight aperture. This causes the bottom part of the round aperture to be flattened - not round. The result is that it is hard for your eye to quickly make an accurate decision about how high up in this flattened circle is the exact center. Take a look at your own sights - you'll see what we mean. The 3:00 o'clock and 9:00 o'clock corners of the DiamondHead aperture completely eliminate this problem.

I'm sure the people who wrote in honestly felt that they liked them better, its not uncommon for people to like new items.

I disagree with much of the above adwork for the sights, but I understand that its an ad, and its written to sell things. They can certainly make the above claims, and back it up as it is their experience or opinion. The info they give is quite similar to the information given by other sight companies who aren't using a peep sight.

Getting hits under high stress and speed doesn't come from replacing a rear sight, it comes from training and discipline. No magic answer for that. As far as the part about it allowing you to shoot with both eyes open under many scenarios, that is something that I teach all my students anyway, and they all do it with a standard sight.

They may want to reconsider some of their info that they give. Take a look at what is in bold and underlined. They would do better to leave that out.

Lastly, if you think its a better mousetrap, buy it and try it out. You certainly won't get any abuse or cheap shots from me. I try out new gear on a regular basis, which is how I come up with my opinions. Its a good way for others to form their opinions as well.