PDA

View Full Version : New Scope Mounts

alamo5000
31 October 2019, 19:11
Got a notice about this. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIZeOE_WYc4&t=1s

SINNER
31 October 2019, 19:25
It’s like they couldn’t decide if they should copy Spuhr or Geissele. Knights feels rejected.

gatordev
1 November 2019, 06:56
Knights feels rejected.

You beat me to the punch. I guess they've turned a new design page and have moved on from Knights.

alamo5000
1 November 2019, 13:37
I'm far from being on the cutting edge of who designed what or even most of the latest and greatest things.

That said since you brought it up Apple did not invent the mobile phone. Ferrari didn't invent the automobile. A lot of companies didn't invent what they sell.

I'm not a big scope mount expert by any means but in general where would you draw the line between taking something that is existing and trying to improve upon it and just downright copying something?

Aragorn
1 November 2019, 13:47
...but in general where would you draw the line between taking something that is existing and trying to improve upon it and just downright copying something?

That’s why I never buy anything from Strike Industries. Improvement is one thing, and I’m all about companies doing that, but straight up theft/blatant copying is probably a good line if you’re looking for one.

alamo5000
1 November 2019, 15:49
That’s why I never buy anything from Strike Industries. Improvement is one thing, and I’m all about companies doing that, but straight up theft/blatant copying is probably a good line if you’re looking for one.

I was being rhetorical but I fully believe the same thing as you posted.

I honestly do not know nearly enough about the firearms industry to say really any more than that.

I'm never for anyone stealing. Full stop. That applies to pretty much everything.

That said thereis a major difference when people are trying to make something better in one way or another than just a flat out theft.

Tyrannosaur
2 November 2019, 07:09
No love for the SPRMM... their budget model is called the SEMEN

gatordev
2 November 2019, 11:09
Alamo, the mount looks interesting, but the "joke" here is that GA has a history of taking something, tweaking it slightly so it doesn't violate patent/copyright, and then selling it at a reduced cost. That's why people joke that the Griffin Armament R&D department is called "Knight's Armament."

UWone77
2 November 2019, 11:28
Alamo, the mount looks interesting, but the "joke" here is that GA has a history of taking something, tweaking it slightly so it doesn't violate patent/copyright, and then selling it at a reduced cost. That's why people joke that the Griffin Armament R&D department is called "Knight's Armament."

There's a meme floating around the internet with that, one of many I'm sure.

I'm sure the GRIFFIN mount is fine, they make good stuff, but I have yet to see anyone make a mount that wants me to switch from Bobro for everyday optics. Sphur for super high end glass.

mustangfreek
4 November 2019, 00:14
It’s like they couldn’t decide if they should copy Spuhr or Geissele. Knights feels rejected.

I lol’d at this.

VIPER 237
4 November 2019, 13:20
The name just turns me off, however I’m looking for a good 34mm Mount and the price seems right

Joelski
4 November 2019, 13:24
Why is everybody baggin' on Griffin? KMFB fanbois? Is Griffin the new poors? Spill. It's pretty hard to reinvent the circle, so I'd love to hear what they chewed off of KAC. Is the fact they mimic'd circles with squares on their SD can? Good God, they're all guilty of copying the tubular design off of somebody. Call teh Feds Edith!!

UWone77
4 November 2019, 13:54
The name just turns me off, however I’m looking for a good 34mm Mount and the price seems right

Bobro has discontinued 201s in 34mm for 50% off

VIPER 237
4 November 2019, 14:52
Bobro has discontinued 201s in 34mm for 50% off

Bobro is my first choice, and I tried but nothing gets added to my cart so I think they’re out of stock.

Former11B
4 November 2019, 14:59
Why is everybody baggin' on Griffin? KMFB fanbois? Is Griffin the new poors? Spill. It's pretty hard to reinvent the circle, so I'd love to hear what they chewed off of KAC. Is the fact they mimic'd circles with squares on their SD can? Good God, they're all guilty of copying the tubular design off of somebody. Call teh Feds Edith!!

Preeeetty much.

From a distance, it looks similar to an existing brand. Up close....different.

Griffin is the company that’s fun to hate on

UWone77
4 November 2019, 17:57
Bobro is my first choice, and I tried but nothing gets added to my cart so I think they’re out of stock.

You look at the right one? Search 201... all the discounted mounts come up. 20 MOA and 0 MOA 34mm

http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/78/

alamo5000
4 November 2019, 19:49

I recently looked into it and way back I don't know how many years back (like when GA just started) the Griffin guy owned or used a KA suppressor with a gate lock on it.

When firearms were shot with that particular type of mount system the can would rotate under fire so the shooter would shoot half moon patterns.

They apparently figured out how to put better anti rotation built into the mounting system so there was much better POI shift.

According to the podcast I listened to there were three or four companies all making gate lock as well.

I didn't pay attention to all of the other details but apparently there were some other things improved upon as well.

For that now people are bitching trying to say it was "stolen" from knights etc.

Truth be told it sounds like a Jr high school drama queen bunch of bullshit to me. I'm coming to learn that the firearms industry as a whole is full of that kind of thing.

VIPER 237
5 November 2019, 08:04
Yeah I called in and their cart system is messed up so I just ordered one over the phone. Thanks for the heads up

You look at the right one? Search 201... all the discounted mounts come up. 20 MOA and 0 MOA 34mm

http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/78/

tact
5 November 2019, 10:17
Let’s be honest, they have blatantly copied products and it was only for the sole purpose of “improving” it, however, they aren’t the only ones in the business doing it either.

Uffdaphil
5 November 2019, 10:21
Yeah I called in and their cart system is messed up so I just ordered one over the phone. Thanks for the heads up

Reminds me of when I wanted a 34mm that was OOS a while back. I called and Andrew himself answered. I said I wanted to make sure I could mount the scope with the eyepiece at the charging handle. He had me measure a bunch of dimensions and had one out to me within the week. My kind of customer service!

Re the Griffin, I would probably try one if they offered without all those threaded holes for offsets that I would never use. For a little less $$.

VIPER 237
7 November 2019, 10:48
I got my mount today from Andrew. That was serious fast shipping.

Reminds me of when I wanted a 34mm that was OOS a while back. I called and Andrew himself answered. I said I wanted to make sure I could mount the scope with the eyepiece at the charging handle. He had me measure a bunch of dimensions and had one out to me within the week. My kind of customer service!

Re the Griffin, I would probably try one if they offered without all those threaded holes for offsets that I would never use. For a little less $$.