PDA

View Full Version : Les Baer Police Carbine in American Rifleman

adrenaline151
29 April 2009, 19:35
So what do you guys think of the backward castle nut stuff? Seems like if SWAT guys REALLY wanted it, someone other than Les Baer would have done it already. If you guys didn't read the article, it said something to the effect of SWAT guys wanting to have the castle nut turned around to reduce the chance of getting cut on the edges when deploying the carbine stock.

Eric
29 April 2009, 21:36
And with it installed backwards, they stake it how?
I haven't read the article. Is it in the June edition?

Stickman
30 April 2009, 00:22
So what do you guys think of the backward castle nut stuff? Seems like if SWAT guys REALLY wanted it, someone other than Les Baer would have done it already. If you guys didn't read the article, it said something to the effect of SWAT guys wanting to have the castle nut turned around to reduce the chance of getting cut on the edges when deploying the carbine stock.

Pure bunk.

adrenaline151
30 April 2009, 02:58
I believe it's the June issue. I just got it in the mail, I may have misplaced it(in the dump) after reading that article. Les Baer should provide one to Stick, to run next to the XD-AR, to see how it pans out.

rob_s
30 April 2009, 05:52
From what I've seen of LB as a company, I'd say that it's more likely that they put it on backwards without knowing what they were doing, had it photographed and it got out publicly, and they started using reverse logic and bullshit to try to explain their screwup.

Or, som HUA SWAT guys really did ask for it. Being SWAT is no guarantee of not suffering from Head Up Ass.

bigcoastie
30 April 2009, 10:52
I personally think it makes sense I've lost two fingers now from cuts on castle nuts, I mean really how often are you changing your stock under high stress situations anyway? Funny stuff.

Eric
30 April 2009, 20:28
Unfortunately I've seen several receiver extension nuts installed backwards recently. Oly Arms does it on theirs and we had a local shop install one backwards without the receiver end plate, after converting it from a fixed A2 stock (mind boggling!). SWAT mag (June '09) has an article reviewing the Del-Ton rifle kit and the photo depicting the finished product shows the backwards installation as well.

Ryo
30 April 2009, 22:59
Well you can still stake a backward castle nut so I don't see any problem there. Scratches? What big babies. ;)

Any case wonder what type of wrench they are using because a 3 prong I use won't fit on backwards c nuts

adrenaline151
1 May 2009, 06:26
Don't they wear high speed-low drag gloves anyway?