PDA

View Full Version : Looking at first can..feedback on a couple..

mustangfreek
3 March 2020, 00:39
Hey Guys, bored and spitballing in my head, so thought I’d start something. I’ve decided that it’s time and really want a can for my 40th golden year or whatever..lol..only talking about rifle cans at the moment.

So, 233 or 762 can is my first dilemma.Will mostly be on a 10.5 or 16” 556 , but also 308 ar and then another 6.x Upper project later.

Been looking at the Yhm turbo /k and the resonator /k also (762)

Hear a lot of good things about them and the customer Service if needed. Yes price point is part of the reason I’m looking at them, but if you look at materials used, a lot of double the cost cans are the same material...

Then the process... kinda understand it, but intimidated , haven’t not done it yet. Silencer shop option seems easy for a newcomer.. as there’s a “ powered by dealer” 10 miles from me. As I understand it , you pay the total on SS site/checkout and no other fees are encountered as long as you use their power dealers..

I tried to not make it Alamo long..[BD]...but I could use some pointers and such.

UWone77
3 March 2020, 00:43
Silencer Shop kiosks indeed make it easy.

YHM cans are fine. I've shot some, and their cost/benefit is high. I find their QD muzzle devices are ugly if you care about such things.

Whatever can you get, make sure you get a name brand can. I say this because there has been plenty of smaller companies that have gone under the last few years and your warranty is only as good as the company backing it.

alamo5000
3 March 2020, 01:07
HAHA! Go ahead and laugh at my expense! LOL!!!

On topic though, especially with a kiosk the procedure is NOT difficult at all. Just follow some simple instructions and you will be surprised at how easy it is.

I don't know anything at all about YHM so I am not saying anything negative at all...but for a purchase like this just save and get what you want. If it's an extra $150 bucks consider that whatever you buy is yours for life. That said definitely heed UW's advice about name brand cans with a long track record.

The mounting system to me is by far the most important thing, but that's just me. Other things are important but the actual decibel reduction is probably 3 or 4 on my list actually. The good thing is now you don't have to sacrifice one point for another. There are a lot of great cans out there.

If you will shoot only on 5.56 then of course get a 5.56 can. If you want to shoot it on a multitude of guns, get a 30 caliber can. Considering that you will be wearing ear pro no matter what on any kind of AR platform 5.56 it's not that big of a trade off and you gain a lot more flexibility.

Anyway don't let the process get to you or psyche you out. It is not hard at all. If you do it as a trust the setting up of a trust will be the most complicated part with all the signatures and notary but even there they should provide straight forward instructions. But once it's done it's done. If you do it as an individual it's super easy.

Former11B
3 March 2020, 03:42
The YHM cans are excellent for the money.

Rugged Razor is a great all around can.

Griffin Explorr762 is a very light 7.62 suppressor and the Recce 7 is its beefier sibling; both would be at home on either host you mentioned

BoilerUp
3 March 2020, 06:31
I like Griffin cans and especially like their muzzle devices. If I could only keep one, it would probably be the Paladin as it's pretty versatile (user serviceable, interchangeable .22 end cap). However, my next suppressor purchase will likely be a Rugged. No experience with YHM

Jerry R
3 March 2020, 13:23
My thoughts are, if you think you will only have one suppressor, go with a 30 caliber can. I can't speak to your choices, as I have not had an opportunity to shoot with them. Following you choice with interest. Let us know.

mustangfreek
3 March 2020, 15:08
I’m listening and reading up.

The yhm mounts are fugly..no doubt there.. lol

To be honest the griffin cans are a top choice, Reece 5 is 200 more then the turbo , better mount maybe then the yhm.? Materials are similar. Both companies have been around a while.. 250 more , worth it?

I can see where, once you start down this road. One is not enough..lol..

mustangfreek
3 March 2020, 15:09
The rugged “razor” 762 can at 6 and some change , looks decent

Anyone running one?

Former11B
3 March 2020, 15:31
I don’t own a Razor but I’ve set up a friend’s rifle to run a Razor and a Surge. Me personally, between the two, the Razor is the way to go but some people care less about weight and more about max suppression

UWone77
3 March 2020, 16:08
Let's face it, suppressor designs have changed very little over the last few decades. Stacked Baffles... The only differences is welding, materials, venting, ect. Some cans are better looking than others, some mounting systems are better than others.

Other than OSS, they're all about the same within a few decibels.

Get what you can afford. If you only plan to suppress an AR, be prepared to be disappointed.

mustangfreek
3 March 2020, 17:51
The newer yhm mounts aren’t as bad as the old ones..I think...lol

UW-your comment about - only suppressing ar’s your gonna be disappointed.. what’s that mean?

I kinda get it, ar’s aren’t super quiet with a can compared to others-bolt actions and such..

Looking at in order

Yhm turbo 556 ($400) or resonator (762 can @ $500)
Griffin Reece 5 (556 can @ $620)
Rugged razor (762 can @ $620 with $50 gift certificate..would be towards another muzzle device)

UWone77
3 March 2020, 17:59
Everyone can attest to the fact suppressing 5.56 in an AR is not only loud, but lots of gas in the face. You can try to mitigate it with gimmicky charging handles, adjustable Gas blocks and BCG's, but in the end, it's still gassy. Nothing like a face full of unburnt power gas. You'll never get to shoot it without the loud crack of the bullet because of the lack of subsonic rounds.. even if you find them, they typically don't cycle reliably. 5.56 suppressed is basically to take the edge off. This is why I've pretty much gone all to K and mini cans for 5.56.

If I could have one can, I'd go 7.62 so I could put it on a bolt gun as well and shoot 300 BLK suppressed on an AR.

mustangfreek
3 March 2020, 18:02
Thanks
Good info for a newbie..the gas aspect..wouldn’t know as I’ve never shot an ar suppressed....Yet....

Side note..woman laughed at me the other day..but I’m serious..Trying to push myself to quit smoking..that will help my can find immensely..pic for lolz. pp donations accepted

BoilerUp
3 March 2020, 20:07
One of my favorite rifles to shoot is an 18 or 20" AR with a rifle length gas system and a suppressor. It's like shooting a 22lr and makes you a very nice range neighbor. I'm typically shooting in that config with a Recce 5.

But otherwise, agree w/ all UW says. On a carbine or SBR, make sure you have good eye pro and be prepared for a feeling of "I thought it would be quieter than that". It's more about "signature reduction" than silence.

Now, my suppressed 9mm MPX shooting 147gr ball won't even pick up on my shot clock.

Former11B
4 March 2020, 05:30
My 5.56 experience is different in terms of gas. UWone, let me build you a rifle [:D]

I seriously have ZERO blowback on any of mine. I don’t leave the range with a stained face from powder/carbon/gun lube.

I do agree that they’re not movie quiet but there are some cans out there that are MUCH more quiet than others. On the louder end: Surefire and OSS. Quieter end: Rugged, Griffin, YHM, AEM (specialized reflex cans)...CGS’s new Hyperion is also super quiet but not the right can for everyone

Where you are shooting also makes a big difference. Indoors or in dense woods with a lot of surfaces that return/“trap” the sound versus a wide open field for example

UWone77
4 March 2020, 08:11
No need to build an AR for a suppressor host. The SCAR or G36 are much better platforms for shooting suppressed and mitigating gas.

tact
4 March 2020, 10:36
I don’t think anyone can have just one. I bought a couple 30 cal Sakers thinking along the same lines you were thinking but then wanted a dedicated 5.56 can to cut some weight and length so I got a Soecwar. Fast forward to Surefire minis and I’m finally happy all around. Those 30cal cans are comparatively yuugge on a 5.56.....but it is nice for the 300 BO and some 7.62. One thing that I’ve found to be important is the POI shift and the mounting system......you’ll find they vary if people are being honest. If you are only shooting suppressed then I guess it doesn’t matter.

BoilerUp
4 March 2020, 23:02
My 5.56 experience is different in terms of gas. UWone, let me build you a rifle [:D]

I seriously have ZERO blowback on any of mine. I don’t leave the range with a stained face from powder/carbon/gun lube.

I do agree that they’re not movie quiet but there are some cans out there that are MUCH more quiet than others. On the louder end: Surefire and OSS. Quieter end: Rugged, Griffin, YHM, AEM (specialized reflex cans)...CGS’s new Hyperion is also super quiet but not the right can for everyone

Where you are shooting also makes a big difference. Indoors or in dense woods with a lot of surfaces that return/“trap” the sound versus a wide open field for example

An adjustable gas block can go a long way in reducing the gas. I tend to tune gas for unsupressed shooting, though, so I'm overgassed suppressed but reliable either way.

VIPER 237
5 March 2020, 08:16
Absolutely. Watch this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=&v=3y87pu6wMYE

Almost all cans are 145-150 DB at the ear, not hearing safe at all.

I don’t know how to imbed videos but here’s a clip of me shooting a full auto Triarc with an OSS HX-QD. Fantastic can as as you can see there’s very little if any gas to the face. https://www.instagram.com/p/B7hd84vJ0sH/?igshid=lc57g8kgq778

Everyone can attest to the fact suppressing 5.56 in an AR is not only loud, but lots of gas in the face. You can try to mitigate it with gimmicky charging handles, adjustable Gas blocks and BCG's, but in the end, it's still gassy. Nothing like a face full of unburnt power gas. You'll never get to shoot it without the loud crack of the bullet because of the lack of subsonic rounds.. even if you find them, they typically don't cycle reliably. 5.56 suppressed is basically to take the edge off. This is why I've pretty much gone all to K and mini cans for 5.56.

If I could have one can, I'd go 7.62 so I could put it on a bolt gun as well and shoot 300 BLK suppressed on an AR.

VIPER 237
5 March 2020, 08:17
No need to build an AR for a suppressor host. The SCAR or G36 are much better platforms for shooting suppressed and mitigating gas.

Just make sure you replace your gas jet on the scar or you’ll most likely break a bolt from the 150% increase in carrier velocity when running suppressed ($389 fix btw, ask me how I know *cry*)

UWone77
5 March 2020, 17:18
Just make sure you replace your gas jet on the scar or you’ll most likely break a bolt from the 150% increase in carrier velocity when running suppressed ($389 fix btw, ask me how I know *cry*)

Yeah PMM tuned my SCAR with a new gas jet when they cut the barrel down. It runs so smoothly suppressed, I have a hard time believing I waited this long to do it.

mustangfreek
6 March 2020, 00:36
Too add to the info. Digging and reading, seems that you can use asr mounts, type b, Q stuff, and other options. So it’s not limited to the yhm option.

Which opens up all kinds of options and makes them gen more appealing..

Still lookin around, but one local dealer got back to me. He is $100 for transfer and SS kiosk fee. hansohn b. has the turbo k for 318 shipped. =418

Silencer shop doesn’t have it in stock, supposedly end of month for said cans, 400 said and shipped , thru them. Which says no other fees are added.

Obviously plus stamp .

alamo5000
6 March 2020, 00:57
Still lookin around, but one local dealer got back to me. He is $100 for transfer and SS kiosk fee..

You might want to let SS know which one is charging like that. From my understanding per the agreement they make with SS when they sign up they are not allowed to charge any fees like that.

mustangfreek
6 March 2020, 03:59
You might want to let SS know which one is charging like that. From my understanding per the agreement they make with SS when they sign up they are not allowed to charge any fees like that.

You might be confused. Doing a non silencer shop deal, but using their kiosk . There allowed up to a $40 fee for using it.

When you order strait from SS to one of their powered by dealers, their is no more fees past what you pay at checkout at SS.

Just clarified this with them in the last week.

mustangfreek
6 March 2020, 04:11
Just to add to my post above. I borrowed the pic from ar15dotcom

Yhm Turbo — turbo k with key mo — turbo k with asr

Former11B
8 March 2020, 19:28
Yeah PMM tuned my SCAR with a new gas jet when they cut the barrel down. It runs so smoothly suppressed, I have a hard time believing I waited this long to do it.

LOL so the SCAR is a better suppressor host....but it had to be tuned in order to run more smoothly. [:D] Not to mention FN explicitly states running a can voids the warranty....but that’s neither here nor there.

A SCAR 16s is what...$2500? A G36 is probably more than that. You can get a quality, smooth running “DI” AR for far less than either.

You said:
“Everyone can attest to the fact suppressing 5.56 in an AR is not only loud, but lots of gas in the face. You can try to mitigate it with gimmicky charging handles, adjustable Gas blocks and BCG's, but in the end, it's still gassy”

This is a blanket statement that to someone new to suppressors reading this, I have to address. Sure SOME rifles might be gassy and miserable to shoot, but definitely not all. I will say that when properly tuned, the Griffin SNACH, PRI Gasbuster, etc are unnecessary. I only use a SNACH because it’s a solid charging handle. The gas vent is clean as a whistle

As an experiment for this, I tossed my direct thread can on my carbine gas LMT rifle with ZERO gimmicky mods and there’s no blowback to my face. There is more gas from the ejection port but none rearward into my face:

The gas is following the brass ejection. I had lubed the rifle heavily and there was no carbon or lube spatter on my face or shooting glasses

Now, if we want to talk specific brands that are known to be over gassed, like DD, PSA, etc, I’ll join that all day long. But respectfully I can’t agree with the original statement

UWone77
8 March 2020, 20:31
Yup, the SCAR had to be tuned, much like you wouldn't just throw parts on an AR for your personal suppressed gun. You tuned it.

I 100% stand by my statement. I have shot virtually every AR I have suppressed including 20-24".... granted they are less gassy, as well as some with adjustable gas blocks, it's still gassy. The AR is not a good suppressed platform, I just use cans to take the edge off. I'm not talking about a sample size of 20,30,40,50, or 60 either.

If you like your setups by all means, keep shooting that huge ball of smoke and gas I see in your pic. [:D]

VIPER 237
9 March 2020, 08:04

I just bought a 10” scar barrel so once my form 1 is back I’ll throw it on. Do you know what size gas jet they used on your barrel?

mustangfreek
9 March 2020, 09:46
I’m listening to all your guys input.

I know that AR’s aren’t the best to suppress. Mainly looking to take the edge off. Like said. also get my foot in the door. I can see how this starts and ends with many more...lol

Also hunting with a can sounds like a much better option. As in just overall better manners..

Still lookin hard at the turbo k or resonator k/r2

Former11B
9 March 2020, 09:50
Yup, the SCAR had to be tuned, much like you wouldn't just throw parts on an AR for your personal suppressed gun. You tuned it.

I 100% stand by my statement. I have shot virtually every AR I have suppressed including 20-24".... granted they are less gassy, as well as some with adjustable gas blocks, it's still gassy. The AR is not a good suppressed platform, I just use cans to take the edge off. I'm not talking about a sample size of 20,30,40,50, or 60 either.

If you like your setups by all means, keep shooting that huge ball of smoke and gas I see in your pic. [:D]

I’m just pointing out you said ARs arent the best platform because they need tuning, and then said you tuned the rifle that is a better substitute. Kind of made me chuckle

My test photo up there WAS gassy and that was the point of doing it. There was zero gas mitigation in place. But it was literally all out of the ejection port. No watery eyes etc, to counter your statement of: “Everyone can attest to the fact suppressing 5.56 in an AR is not only loud, but lots of gas in the face”. Granted my experiment is a sample size of one, but not all ARs are the same, which is the point: none of my other ARs are like the one in the picture.

Saying a SCAR is a better suppressor host than an AR is like saying a Corvette is better than all other cars with two doors. One very specific example to a very very broad and heterogenous category.

UWone77
9 March 2020, 12:07
I’m just pointing out you said ARs arent the best platform because they need tuning, and then said you tuned the rifle that is a better substitute. Kind of made me chuckle

My test photo up there WAS gassy and that was the point of doing it. There was zero gas mitigation in place. But it was literally all out of the ejection port. No watery eyes etc, to counter your statement of: “Everyone can attest to the fact suppressing 5.56 in an AR is not only loud, but lots of gas in the face”. Granted my experiment is a sample size of one, but not all ARs are the same, which is the point: none of my other ARs are like the one in the picture.

Saying a SCAR is a better suppressor host than an AR is like saying a Corvette is better than all other cars with two doors. One very specific example to a very very broad and heterogenous category.

Weird analogy. But... I guess I should have clarified. The SCAR doesn't need to be tuned to be a better host than an AR. What I was trying to say is that much like a lot of people, I got it tuned so I could squeeze every last bit of performance out of it.
To me the AR is a poor host, and yeah you can put adjustable gas blocks, gas vents, adjustable carriers, gimmicky charging handles and it will mitigate a little gas, but still won't be a better host than an off the shelf unmodified SCAR. After the average Joe builds himself an AR and throws all the gimmick gas mitigation parts in there, he might has well have spent the money for a SCAR. [:D]
The SCAR off the shelf is better than the best tuned AR out there.

Your photo of the gas cloud on a well respected name in the AR business kind of illustrates my point. The death cloud just didn't happen to be in the area of your face. [BD][:D]

UWone77
9 March 2020, 12:08
I just bought a 10” scar barrel so once my form 1 is back I’ll throw it on. Do you know what size gas jet they used on your barrel?

2mm. PMM also included a 1.8mm

Former11B
10 March 2020, 07:42
Weird analogy. But... I guess I should have clarified. The SCAR doesn't need to be tuned to be a better host than an AR. What I was trying to say is that much like a lot of people, I got it tuned so I could squeeze every last bit of performance out of it.
To me the AR is a poor host, and yeah you can put adjustable gas blocks, gas vents, adjustable carriers, gimmicky charging handles and it will mitigate a little gas, but still won't be a better host than an off the shelf unmodified SCAR. After the average Joe builds himself an AR and throws all the gimmick gas mitigation parts in there, he might has well have spent the money for a SCAR. [:D]
The SCAR off the shelf is better than the best tuned AR out there.

Your photo of the gas cloud on a well respected name in the AR business kind of illustrates my point. The death cloud just didn't happen to be in the area of your face. [BD][:D]

I will day the Superlative Bleed off gas blocks are the only aftermarket part I feel I’d need on most properly sized gas port ARs. It makes the DI gun vent similarly to a piston system. On my Ultramatch builds (Valkyrie and 223 Wylde), if it weren’t for the sound reduction, you wouldn’t know you were shooting with a can

Next up

9mm vs 45
Glock vs Smith

[:D] ;)

mustangfreek
11 March 2020, 15:49
Anyone know of any good dealers in western wa , with a decent stock? SS is oos on a lot of cans

Looking at/for

Turbo T2
Resonator r2 or resonator k

Also the rugged razor looks decent...anyone shooting one on here?

UWone77
12 March 2020, 15:40
Good luck man. I haven't seen a YHM can locally in forever. I think YHM missed the boat. They were one of the first "big names" in the suppressor game back in the day and their marketing never really took off. I remember looking at YHM in 2011 when I bought my first can. Basically back then, it was SF, YHM, AAC, and just a couple of other outfits.

mustangfreek
13 March 2020, 00:39
Ya , it’s proving hard to find any of the cans I’m looking at. Called no less then 10 shops locally, not one of them had any of the 4 I’m looking at.

Plus SS is out of stock on a lot. And there post over on ar15dotcom says the supply is drying up and could be on a permanent back order status, as they say so far 2020 has been the most sales for them ever.. then being an election year on top of it..

I’m open to other suggestions..

UWone77
13 March 2020, 07:55
Dead Air Sandman K if you can swing it.

If you don't have to have a 30 cal can, I just picked up another AAC Mini4 for $500

mustangfreek
13 March 2020, 14:15
Ill check out the sandman k

Thanks

mustangfreek
13 March 2020, 14:41
That’s a short can

Was thinking hard about the rugged razor..there was 8 in stock at SS 8 hours ago..now out of stock

Phuckkk....I guess this is the wrong time to get into a can..

UWone77
13 March 2020, 14:55
Or you could get a 30 cal Griffin can and snag that free extra muzzle device they're offering.

Lots of guys here own Griffin cans and swear by them. I'm sure you can find some great recommendations.

mustangfreek
13 March 2020, 16:06
I wonder if that is only thru griffin? It doesn’t say anything on SS

alamo5000
13 March 2020, 17:04

You can get the promo especially through SS.

BoilerUp
13 March 2020, 18:19
That’s a short can

Was thinking hard about the rugged razor..there was 8 in stock at SS 8 hours ago..now out of stock

Phuckkk....I guess this is the wrong time to get into a can..

I guess their promotion worked. I think you'd be pretty happy with the GA Recce 7.

BoilerUp
13 March 2020, 19:09

Griffin doesn't sell cans directly, so, like Alamo says, you can get the promo through SS. Looks like Rainier has decent inventory of GA in stock, fwiw. I think what I like best about GA is their Taper Mount system and very good selection of muzzle devices for that system. Makes it very easy to use one can on multiple platforms and also deliver good aesthetics and performance through the MD w/o the can.

mustangfreek
13 March 2020, 20:02
I appreciate the info...I’m getting frustrated if you can’t tell..lol

This would be a lot easier if I could shoot some of these things before I committed..

For you guys with the Reece 5 or 7’s , are they a gassy can? If that makes sense, reading and watching videos you can see some of it, but hard to define it not seeing in person..atleast for me

That Reece 7 is intriguing, but that’s putting me up over a grand..kinda heavy can at that..the R2 without the QD Mount is 14 ounces and 6.9 long..

Ahhhhhh [crazy][BD]

alamo5000
13 March 2020, 22:30
I appreciate the info...I’m getting frustrated if you can’t tell..lol

This would be a lot easier if I could shoot some of these things before I committed..

For you guys with the Reece 5 or 7’s , are they a gassy can? If that makes sense, reading and watching videos you can see some of it, but hard to define it not seeing in person..atleast for me

That Reece 7 is intriguing, but that’s putting me up over a grand..kinda heavy can at that..the R2 without the QD Mount is 14 ounces and 6.9 long..

Ahhhhhh [crazy][BD]

Believe me when I tell you that I have been exactly where you are right now. I would have loved to shoot all the cans before I bought but unless you go to a silencer shop range day it won't happen.

I have both the 5 and 7 and neither one is gassy. I rarely get a wiff of smoke in the face. In my experience and looking at it through the lens of a reloader sometimes that is a function of the ammo. Some powders are much more smokey or have different characteristics. On the other hand some powders are cleaner and run more efficiently in a given barrel length. The only times I really get choked to some degree is if I am doing some mag dumps with some of the more gassy/smokey powders. But normal shooting for me....not hardly ever with either can.

As for the weight it depends. If you are talking about absolute weight neither is really that bad, especially the 5. That said a lot of that is a function of how you have your rifle set up. If I gave you a 2.5 pound weight and you strapped it on your chest rig that's one thing...but if I had you tape it on the end of 4 foot long broom handle that's different. Where and how you carry the weight matters. Having a good balanced rifle to me is very important, moreso than just absolute weight. I've picked up other people's suppressed rifles and they were so out of balance it's not even funny. It would drive me nuts. But my rifles all have really nice balance points front to back. Yes absolute weight is one aspect, but for me it's not as important for what I like to do vs the balance. If I started to have to run around and swing around constantly or if I was going to hike 20 miles a day for a week straight I might be a lot more concerned about absolute weight, but even then I think balance is important too.

If you want a light weight can that performs really well the explorr series is good too. They are substantially lighter and shorter but deliver good sound performance as well. Keep in mind that those cans are tuned slightly different than the 7 from what I understand. Any suppressor can essentially just choke off almost everything at the muzzle but that's not always good, especially on any semi auto. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch so that gas will just be blasting you with really loud port pop. You might get that 130 at the muzzle but you will also get 145-148 at the ear with some cans. The explorr series seem to be tuned for semi auto use... a few DB louder at the muzzle but also a few quieter at the ear.

At the end of the day you really can't go wrong with griffin to be honest. For me it came down to trusting the advice I was given here on the forum and little more than that. I fawned all over details and that was great---I learned a ton--- and plus I like to nerd out, but at the same time it is a lot of money to spend "blindly"...been there done that. At the end of the day you can trust that NO ONE here will try to steer you wrong. I am quite sure that there are numerous great cans out there... for me after buying one griffin can... now I have six and counting. Not saying that it would not have happened as well had I bought from another company. All I know I am very pleased.

Regarding cost.. yes it's a big deal... but considering how much time and sort of pain in the ass it takes...as well as how long you will be married to whatever you buy, it's important not to cheap out. I am not saying you have to get the lambroghini but don't scrimp. If it means an extra $200 it will be worth it in the long run. Spaced over 10 years $200 bucks is nothing.

I am not sure if you have seen this video--- griffin started doing their own testing in house comparing cans side by side. Same host, same meter, same day, same ammo--- all standardized testing. They had a podcast about this and show how some suppressor companies fudge their numbers for marketing purposes by trying to stack the deck. Company A might use standard 9mm ammo to test, but company B in order to say they get so many DB might use some fancy 165 grain pistol ammo that barely can work the slide, if at all. Naturally you get wide number differences but it's not an apples to apples comparison just looking at things based on advertising.

In their new series of sound tests they keep everything standard, which is way more real in terms of comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_8yA474RDk

mustangfreek
14 March 2020, 02:44
Thanks for the video and the info you wrote.

I get that about powders and such..I’ve been pulling that lever since I was young.

I meant more so as in I hear people say gassy can, or a tight can, on ars I’m talking about.

I see that now about the muzzle devices also.

gatordev
14 March 2020, 06:44
I meant more so as in I hear people say gassy can, or a tight can, on ars I’m talking about.

There's two kinds of "gassy," so it may not be quite as clear cut as what you're hoping. One form of "gassy" is from the rifle itself. A properly ported barrel will be less gassy, as was discussed previously. There's also the venting of the suppressor. An example of a "gassy" suppressor is the Surefire SOCOM series, but it's gassy intentionally. It's dumping gas out of the bottom of the attachment point in an effort to try and remove some of the gas that goes back into the operating rifle.

If you have a gassy gun, that dumping of gas from the suppressor will only help so much, but sometimes a gassy can is a good thing.

I can't speak to how Griffin handles that, and I'm sure guys like BoilerUp can add their thoughts, but just giving an over-all example.

BoilerUp
14 March 2020, 07:50
Most of my experience is with GA suppressors, but my understanding is that most suppressors of recent design perform pretty similarly with a few minor trade offs within the normal design space with two exceptions: Surefire suppressors are known to create less back pressure which creates less gas for the shooter but at the expense of sound suppression (e.g., they are louder than most), and a few other odd-ball/unique designs like OSS. I have a Surefire SOCOM pending my stamp so hopefully by summer I should be able to do a direct comparison between the GA Recce 5 and the SF SOCOM, albeit with different rifles because of the MD. Like Gator says, the host probably has more to do with the "gassiness" than the can (with the noted exceptions above). With the Recce 5, I get quite a bit of gas with an SBR and very little with my 20" rifle and of course somewhere in between with a carbine. I tune my AGB for unsuppressed and accept the over-gas for suppressed shooting. At least, that's how I tune them before I leave the range, but sometimes I will tune for suppressed for a range session. I just don't like the idea of leaving a rifle in the safe tuned for suppressed shooting as it will be unreliable w/o the suppressor. Sine the GA taper mount system makes it so easy, I move my cans around my rifles a lot.

For the price, those YHM look like a great value. Since that's a new model for 2020, perhaps call and see what YHM thinks the backlog is and maybe just backorder one from SS. SS will start the paperwork as soon as they have the S/N which they get before the manufacturer ships to SS. If you can't find the 7.62 suppressor you really want, you might consider starting with a rimfire can. Those are a ton of fun.

mustangfreek
15 March 2020, 01:21
Good video showing the cutaway/explanation video of yhm mounts..kinda interesting

https://youtu.be/4Mjwq-5Uga0

UWone77
15 March 2020, 08:38
Sounds like you really want the YHM can. You should find a dealer to place an order. Slower selling stuff like YHM may never be stocked locally, you may have to find a dealer willing to find you one.

DISCOM
15 March 2020, 09:53
Love my .30 YHM. I have owned mine for about 4 years and never a single problem. It sits on my 10.3" DD 300 blk but, also run it on bolt guns and 5.56 with good results.
IMO great can for the price.

mustangfreek
15 March 2020, 11:03
Sounds like you really want the YHM can. You should find a dealer to place an order. Slower selling stuff like YHM may never be stocked locally, you may have to find a dealer willing to find you one.

Well I’m not a 100% on anything. Just doing some reading and seen this video.. mounting system seems pretty legit and there are lots of mount options with the thread pattern it has.

mustangfreek
15 March 2020, 11:04
I can’t find any cans I’m after locally...

Calico Jack
15 March 2020, 13:20
Would a .30 cal can operate similar to a bolt gun on a lever gun?

UWone77
15 March 2020, 13:38

That's why I'm saying you'll have to place an order. Form 3 times are like 1-2 days now, so your dealer can get you one pretty fast if their distributor or RSR has one in stock.

alamo5000
15 March 2020, 14:29

Form 3 is super easy. Like UW said it's fast. If you have them form 3 the can and go that route you will most likely have to pay a transfer fee to the FFL though.

For me I tend to stick with Silencer Shop or a company with a proven track record. There are several in Texas here that I don't have a problem with at all when it comes to Form 4 service. I've heard lots of horror stories about people getting their form 4 screwed up by the dealer they got it from.

If you decide to go that route check out the FFL before you do it. Find out from other consumers of that specific FFL what their form 4 experience was and you can avoid a situation you don't want.

mustangfreek
15 March 2020, 18:27
Discom- is that a phantom or ?

As far as ordering, I’m following along now, nobody has what I’m looking at in stock, besides a few other vendors, but at a higher price than silencer ship and then the transfer fee.

I did check out the guy I’m most likely gonna go thru, as I stopped by and he took 40 minutes of out his day to talk and show me a few different rugged cans..he is a preferred dealer with a kiosk.

Just gonna have to backorder thru SS I guess. More yhm cans at the end of the month and rugged razors are 5-8 weeks out says a guy from SS.

The wrong time to get in I guess. As backorder IG and then form 4 time I’m probably over a year east from now..

Ughhhhh...

gatordev
16 March 2020, 06:37
The wrong time to get in I guess. As backorder IG and then form 4 time I’m probably over a year east from now..

Ughhhhh...

I wouldn't assume that. From the NFA branch, apparently the FBI gets slammed at the beginning of the year for all checks (not just NFA), so forms submitted mid-year may take less time than forms submitted at the beginning of the year.

mustangfreek
18 March 2020, 00:11
Gotcha..

I’m still dwelling over what to do...lol....now this corona crap and run on everything...

mustangfreek
18 March 2020, 15:04
Humm...noticed over nite..as they were in my cart..

All the griffin cans went up over nite...and they happen to be about the only lineup still available....double Humm..

Former11B
19 March 2020, 07:12
Humm...noticed over nite..as they were in my cart..

All the griffin cans went up over nite...and they happen to be about the only lineup still available....double Humm..

In your cart where? The Recce 5 is $609 on SS....that’s pretty normal

mustangfreek
23 March 2020, 13:31
Oops, my phone is locked on a different dealer, can’t change it. But iPad shoes the norm prices

Naytwan
25 March 2020, 07:38
Just to add my 2 cents. I have a YHM Resonator. The previous model not the new one with the interchangeable rear mount. I have used it on a 16" 556, an 18" AR10 and a 300 black out. I can say I honestly love the thing.

16" AR its good, quiet, didn't change point of aim very much at 50 yards with wolf gold. I didn't take it further yet to see. I am using the muzzle break on all the rifles. The AR10 was having gas issues. I ended up getting an adjustable gas block for that one. Its an Aero M5 factory rifle. I was running Remington match ammo and it was hella over gassed. Carrier was running super fast suppressed. Run beautifully otherwise. The 300 black with subs is mouse fart/movie quiet IMHO. Really enjoyable to shoot.

Naytwan
25 March 2020, 07:38
Oops, my phone is locked on a different dealer, can’t change it. But iPad shoes the norm prices.

Kinda bummed though..back ordered a yhm can a week ago and now just seen that yhm is closing up due to this covid crap... damnit..

Nothing is in stock hardly..uggghhh....muthaphucka

I heard they are back open but with limited staff.

mustangfreek
25 March 2020, 23:57
Nice! Thanks for all that

I see yhm cans in certain pics around here but not many stopped in here. How do you like the mount system? Any problems ever?

Now that I’m so close to pulling the trigger, i can see already it’s gonna suck waiting for that first one to clear the nfa process..lol

gatordev
26 March 2020, 02:30
Now that I’m so close to pulling the trigger, i can see already it’s gonna suck waiting for that first one to clear the nfa process..lol

See if your FFL allows conjugal visits.

mustangfreek
28 March 2020, 23:43
No such luck at any of the FFL s around here. In fact quite the opposite, almost a chuckle like reply every time.. NO

Naytwan
31 March 2020, 05:34
I like the mount. So far no issues. I havent had enough rounds threw it to see if it will lock up or anything but so far its been good. Its allegedly designed not to lock up.

mustangfreek
31 March 2020, 23:47
Thanks for the feedback.

Joelski
1 April 2020, 04:46
The easiest way to pass the time waiting for a suppressor is to forget you ever heard of them. ..

Or, If you're like some of the people here cough*Rich*cough, you just play with your 40 other suppressors.

[:D]

fledge
1 April 2020, 15:06
Dead Air just announced their new manufacturing can produce as much in a month now than they’ve totally produced since their inception. An email this week said to expect a lot of inventory available soon. That is, if you want that brand.

mustangfreek
11 April 2020, 18:35
Well...you guys already know..but this new guy says..fuck this nfa crap..

Back to bs’ing

Rim fire cans.. do you absolutely need the better ones- with better materials stainless/TI ? I mean I get it, but say just using a couple hosts, 10/22,ar, bolt action all 16” barrels, and one pistol host

I see the all aluminum cans, then like the yhm stinger, aluminum Tyne but shielded stainless K baffles..

Then the stainless/modular ones..

Whatcha using? I can say I will need atleast 2 rimfire cans..so this don’t be a only purchase

alamo5000
11 April 2020, 18:52
I saw on a YouTube video where it says YHM is completely stopped because of the Wuhan flu. Apparently their state has a more strict lock down than most.

alamo5000
11 April 2020, 18:55
Well...you guys already know..but this new guy says..fuck this nfa crap..

Back to bs’ing

Rim fire cans.. do you absolutely need the better ones- with better materials stainless/TI ? I mean I get it, but say just using a couple hosts, 10/22,ar, bolt action all 16” barrels, and one pistol host

I see the all aluminum cans, then like the yhm stinger, aluminum Tyne but shielded stainless K baffles..

Then the stainless/modular ones..

Whatcha using? I can say I will need atleast 2 rimfire cans..so this don’t be a only purchase

I'm no expert but I personally don't think it matters at all regarding sound. Where the big difference is is in maintaining the suppressor. Being rimfire you will need to clean it fairly regularly so plan accordingly.

I personally prefer stainless baffle cans merely because I can throw them in a tumbler and go watch some TV until they are done.

UWone77
11 April 2020, 20:16
Stainless steel if you want a .22lr can. In fact, if you're trying to stay on a budget, a .22lr can isn't a bad place to start.

Aluminum isn't bad either, but usually the price difference is negligible.

Former11B
11 April 2020, 20:45
If you absolutely want a lightweight can, either Ti or Al for the .22 can. If that isn’t your concern, the stainless for durability and ease of cleaning

Although I will say with my aluminum monocore, I coat the core in a thin layer of dielectric grease (large tubes at auto parts stores for cheap) and it acts as an ablative as well as allowing me to wipe most of the build up off easily with a qtip or paper

mustangfreek
12 April 2020, 03:39
Not necessarily after a lightweight can, just going back and forth what I really need, which is just a decent to good can for mostly rifle plinking.

On the lower end the stinger looks decent -$275 alum tube/stainless k baffles

Then it’s like just spend it, and the dead air mask and oculus have good looking stats Ti/stainless/modular at $400

mustangfreek
12 April 2020, 23:03
What 22 cans you guys using?

The CGS hydra Al looks like a decent middle of the road option

17-4 stainless end cap and direct thread mount, 7075 hard coat anodized baffles-a shielded K version baffle, to keep it sealed off the aluminum tube, everything is anodized

Any qualms about such a can on the nothing special host I laid out couple -16” .22 lr and one pistol host

tact
13 April 2020, 01:40
I have a GA Checkmate and use a 3 lug mount for the kiddos toys.

Former11B
13 April 2020, 05:57

The CGS hydra Al looks like a decent middle of the road option

17-4 stainless end cap and direct thread mount, 7075 hard coat anodized baffles-a shielded K version baffle, to keep it sealed off the aluminum tube, everything is anodized

Any qualms about such a can on the nothing special host I laid out couple -16” .22 lr and one pistol host

I will say out of a DA Mask, Innovative Arms Apex, AAC Halcyon, Optimus Micro (direct thread config), and a homemade Form 1 .22 can, the Halcyon is by far the loudest.

alamo5000
13 April 2020, 06:55

I have an Optimus Micro. It's my only .22 can at present however I will buy another rimfire can soon most likely.

mustangfreek
13 April 2020, 07:41
I will say out of a DA Mask, Innovative Arms Apex, AAC Halcyon, Optimus Micro (direct thread config), and a homemade Form 1 .22 can, the Halcyon is by far the loudest.

What exactly are you trying to tell me..lol..as none of those are on my radar..

What aluminum monocore can are ya using ? Any qualms about it other then you have to manually clean it..vs a US cleaner

mustangfreek
13 April 2020, 10:00
I had to go look at that aac halcyon . It is a modular can with only 5 or so baffles... probably why it’s louder..or was you referencing the k baffles?

mustangfreek
13 April 2020, 10:01
I have a GA Checkmate and use a 3 lug mount for the kiddos toys.

Aluminum can with stainless internals...bigger then I want for a 22 only

alamo5000
13 April 2020, 10:34
Aluminum can with stainless internals...bigger then I want for a 22 only

What do you mean 'bigger than you want'? That particular can is out of production but I don't think its abnormally large. Are you looking for specific size and weight requirements?

mustangfreek
13 April 2020, 10:52
Never mind, was late when I looked..

I see it’s out of stock. Not really not the mono core dealio.

Former11B
13 April 2020, 11:02
What exactly are you trying to tell me..lol..as none of those are on my radar..

What aluminum monocore can are ya using ? Any qualms about it other then you have to manually clean it..vs a US cleaner

You said “what cans are you guys using”

The number of baffles doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the sound/performance. I don’t know what about the design makes it louder. It just...Is.

The aluminum can is the Innovative Arms Apex. No problems cleaning it

mustangfreek
17 April 2020, 03:26

So out of those, is the dead air the king?

Former11B
17 April 2020, 07:21
So out of those, is the dead air the king?

The Apex and the Mask, to my ear, sound the same in terms of sound but different tone (to be expected...different baffles). The Mask is easier to clean but $100+ more and heavier. Innovative has a SS .22 can called the Slingshot (I wanted a light weight one and the Slingshot wasn’t out at the time).

The Optimus Micro is the quietest but largest so it’s hard to compare it (rated for .22-250/224 Valkyrie/12.5” 5.56 etc)

I’d look at the Rugged Oculus and the CGS group Hydra (2 versions, AL or SS) or Siren (22lr only, carbon fiber tube)

It also depends on your host. If you want something to stay on a rimfire Rifle or to use on a .17hmr or 5.7 or something, that narrows it down a lot. But if you want to use it a lot on a pistol host, I’d look at something tough but a midweight contender (HINT RUGGED OCULUS 4.3oz) My Apex is 3.5oz. The Mask is 6.6oz.

If you could find a Sparrow in stock somewhere, it would be awesome. Older but one of the best

Airborne_EWO
17 April 2020, 08:50
Ive got a Q Erector that works great on my 10/22. 1st SS baffle followed by aluminum ones. It does get a little louder the less baffles you use.

mustangfreek
17 April 2020, 10:16
Ive got a Q Erector that works great on my 10/22. 1st SS baffle followed by aluminum ones. It does get a little louder the less baffles you use.

Ya they have good stats, but look a little Star Wars ‘ish....[BD]

Airborne_EWO
17 April 2020, 10:23
Ya they have good stats, but look a little Star Wars ‘ish....[BD]

Maybe a little, but it goes well with Magpul FDE.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200417/91e36ec48003387950256d4bace91e8b.jpg

mustangfreek
17 April 2020, 10:27
I’d look at the Rugged Oculus and the CGS group Hydra (2 versions, AL or SS) or Siren (22lr only, carbon fiber tube)

It also depends on your host. If you want something to stay on a rimfire Rifle

If you could find a Sparrow in stock somewhere, it would be awesome. Older but one of the best

Thanks for bs’ing back and forth..I’m sorta like Alamo and need to break it all down..[BD]

Ok, so rimfire cans I’ve been reading lots and watching videos, as well as listening as it seeing what you guys are saying , different tones etc..

This will not be my only rimfire can, I can see I’m gonna need atleast 2....

So looking at these ones and out of them all only 1 is available right now at silencer shop...the CGS Hydra Al.

- Dead air mask -titanium tube/stainless baffles - 6.5 oz —-$400

-rugged oculus - all stainless - 6.9 oz = long config. 4.3 short —-$400

- yhm stinger -aluminum tube/stainless baffles - 6 oz —-$269

- CGS hydra Al -17-4 stainless mount/6061 tube/7075 anodized baffles - 3.1 oz ——$250

So my list is a little of the best, lightweight, modular rugged oculus, which I don’t really need the modular aspect but it’s all stainless.

The stinger is well built for what it is, skirted k baffles

And the cgs , which is the best low end contender looking at the stats and price.

mustangfreek
17 April 2020, 10:30
Maybe a little, but it goes well with Magpul FDE.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200417/91e36ec48003387950256d4bace91e8b.jpg

I was playing...sorta...Looks good..

damnit..I’m gonna hate the wait..lol

mustangfreek
17 April 2020, 11:09
The Q el camino, albeit a weird name for a can, lol

Has decent looking specs and a little cheaper then the mask and oculus. 4.3 ounces and titanium tube with stainless baffles...again though , on backorder..

Former11B
17 April 2020, 11:47
The Q el camino, albeit a weird name for a can, lol

Has decent looking specs and a little cheaper then the mask and oculus. 4.3 ounces and titanium tube with stainless baffles...again though , on backorder..

But....it’s a Q can [crazy]

alamo5000
17 April 2020, 12:54
Thanks for bs’ing back and forth..I’m sorta like Alamo and need to break it all down..[BD]

Honestly I obviously understand. Getting a can is like getting married sort of. Once you choose one you are attached to it forever in one way or another. That being understood don't let $100 stand in your way for a purchase that can last you tens or thousands of rounds or more and have years and years of service life. Pick the can that meets your criteria and let the price be not so much the determining factor. If you have to save up another month to get the extra hundred bucks, do it.

I couldn't be more pleased with my optimus micro. That said I am having an internal debate myself for a can that could spend more time on a pistol. On a rifle length and weight is almost a non issue for 99% of the people. The micro is the heaviest rimfire can out there and on a rifle I don't even notice it. On a pistol I do a little more but it's not so bad. That said things like running the occulus in the short configuration would obviously be much louder on a pistol but it would be great for a little back pack situation. It would be nice to try one out before I commit but that said I am confident in Rugged's reputation and quality. I have not seen a bad report yet on their suppressors or them as a company for that matter.

A note regarding bad reviews of a company though...it's kind of like reading reviews on Amazon. If you have 999 that are good and 1 that says it sucks there are things such as dumbasses on the planet. That said if you have 500 good and 500 bad, there might be something to that.

After you figure out which host and are somewhat confident in the back up from the company then it's a matter of the host and the construction you like. There are some things like 'baffle design' that obviously matter A LOT but if you are like me you let other people figure that stuff out for you. I am not an early adopter of new calibers or products per se. I want cans that have a proven track record. It makes me feel a whole lot better when I have those 999 people that can vouch and make me a lot more confident in my purchase.

BoilerUp
17 April 2020, 17:44
I really like my Occulus. I have nothing to compare it to, though, so I can't say it's any better than anything else out there, but I'm very happy with it. I generally leave it in the full size config and it's usually on my 10/22. I just realized I don't have any photos of the final result of my Kidd build, but here are some pics on handguns

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-39g9bRt/0/684b47e8/X3/i-39g9bRt-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-NWFkj7k/0/fe9dd040/X2/i-NWFkj7k-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6c6mGh4/0/32c27e24/X2/i-6c6mGh4-X2.jpg

mustangfreek
17 April 2020, 19:00
But....it’s a Q can [crazy]

Remember I’m.kinda new to the scene..

What’s the story behind Q?

mustangfreek
17 April 2020, 19:05
Boiler- thanks for the info and pics. The oculus looks like a good choice, the slight extra gift the modular design does nothing for me, I’ve seen the videos. No thanks con losing half the quietness just for a hair shorter . The materials used is what I’m looking at

Alamo- I read that twice. I totally get the spend more now approach, but I am going to have to have 2 rimfire cans..I can see it now.

The main problem is most is out of stock.

So a super built can and a kinda lighter one are what I’m looking at.

Hosts again are std 10/22 , 16” .22 ar, m&p .22 pistol.. so nothing crazy. Maybe a short barreled 10/22 build in the next year..

mustangfreek
18 April 2020, 16:11
As this thing needs a can..bought it just for that years ago, hardly shot it..lol..painted it and shot 5 rds out of it..

Former11B
18 April 2020, 18:03
Remember I’m.kinda new to the scene..

What’s the story behind Q?

A huge industry pot stirrer. Pretends he invented like everything silencer related desipite patents and facts that prove otherwise and the whole stalking his ex-wife/arrest/mugshot thing. I don’t want to give money to that

And I’ve seen some really really worn baffles with low round counts and absolutely cooked welds

Airborne_EWO
19 April 2020, 06:52
https://www.tacswap.com/post/5e6457fb305a72012bd7345e

Here are two .22 cans that could work for your price range.

mustangfreek
20 April 2020, 01:51
Airborne- thanks for looking out! Unfortunately all nfa dealers are $100 and up so that makes a decent deal not a great deal by the time another bill is added.. Unless it was a have to have

Boiler- you go thru SS or have a good dealer around? Hard to find anyone with any stock

A huge industry pot stirrer. Pretends he invented like everything silencer related desipite patents and facts that prove otherwise and the whole stalking his ex-wife/arrest/mugshot thing. I don’t want to give money to that

And I’ve seen some really really worn baffles with low round counts and absolutely cooked welds

Ok...I remember that crap....

Former11B
20 April 2020, 13:29
Airborne- thanks for looking out! Unfortunately all nfa dealers are $100 and up so that makes a decent deal not a great deal by the time another bill is added.. Unless it was a have to have

Boiler- you go thru SS or have a good dealer around? Hard to find anyone with any stock

Ok...I remember that crap....

Lol look at these numbers:

https://youtu.be/2SvFGap-fXk

mustangfreek
20 April 2020, 19:16
Interesting..

VIPER 237
21 April 2020, 12:36
Lol look at these numbers:

https://youtu.be/2SvFGap-fXk

I’ve never seen a can consistently get louder like that. Probably the cast titanium baffles and poor welds deteriorating.

BoilerUp
21 April 2020, 18:39

The Occulus was SS through Pantel in Renton which is my go-to LGS. My first can was a direct buy from Rainier and I have another transfer going through them that I bought from Botach. Botach was a joke. Took 2 or 3 months before they even shipped due to a foul up.

mustangfreek
22 April 2020, 02:45
Heard good things about pantel., just never make it down that way. Do they have much of a silencer selection?

BoilerUp
22 April 2020, 06:50
Heard good things about pantel., just never make it down that way. Do they have much of a silencer selection?

I like the shop and it's pretty close to me. Owned / operated by an Army vet. Prices are reasonable (certainly better than the well know shops on the East Side). That said, he doesn't maintain a large inventory and I think I've only ever seen 2 or 3 cans in the display case. There is a SS kiosk in the shop, though.

mustangfreek
22 April 2020, 15:11
Thanks, just sent them an email to see what he can/cannot get

juanlien
23 April 2020, 11:05
The YHM cans are excellent for the money.

Rugged Razor is a great all around can.

Griffin Explorr762 is a very light 7.62 suppressor and the Recce 7 is its beefier sibling; both would be at home on either host you mentioned

agreehttps://babang.xyz/assets/18/o.png

Joelski
23 April 2020, 13:16
KMFB can inspire butthurt in most of the industry. He's starting to grow on me a little. [:D]