PDA

View Full Version : How's everyone holding up?

rxer311
30 March 2020, 09:26
Its been raining here the past few days so cabin fever is setting in with my family. Other than that we are doing pretty great. Everyone is healthy and keeping themselves busy the best they can.

Starting "homeschooling" the kids. Already had to suspend 2 kids for fighting and the teacher was fired for drinking on the job.

I actually do get to go out since I am an essential employee as a pharmacist at the local hospital. So far it hasn't hit us bad in Lancaster, PA. We have had 1 fatality due to Covid-19 in our facility but the reality is that only about 1 in 10 people that we are testing are actually testing positive.

Stay safe!

alamo5000
30 March 2020, 11:46
So far all is well here. Fortunately I am periodically able to get out and do stuff. I mowed the lawn twice already. I will probably start a new bigger project soon...taking down an old fence and building a new one. It's only about 300 yards or so but it should keep me busy. It's been raining off and on here so getting outside is not always doable. I am also going to go do some work down at our family plot in the cemetery. Some of the head stones need some work. I bought the stuff to build a more solid foundation for them but it will require a lot of digging.

Since I live so far away from everything not a lot has changed but if you go to town it's definitely different. The grocery stores have food but they are still limiting how many people can go in and the hours. I stopped to get gas the other night and the pumps were all turned off. Other than not being able to go out to eat or whatever so far things are going ok. Being able to go outside and work, or when weather doesn't allow it to prime some brass is definitely a good thing. Driving the riding mower is my favorite.

Jerry R
30 March 2020, 12:57
Central Florida, Gulf side. Other than panic buying, things are still running pretty smoothly. My county has only had 39 confirmed with 1 death. Staying close to home, playing cribbage with the wife, good cigar and a little bourbon in the evening. I hate to say it, but my life has not changed. [BD]

gatordev
30 March 2020, 14:27
They're taking no chances here. That one woman will shoot you with her shotgun if you just mention the word "COVID."

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49717441298_25c8256b00_h.jpg

Kidding, of course.

MoxyDave
30 March 2020, 14:43
Pretty ok here in Colorado Springs. I'm lucky to work remotely in IT so for me it's business as usual for the most part. Can't see my 90-year-old parents since they are in lockdown at a nearby facility so that's been a drag, but they are being well cared for so I'm happy.

My biggest problem right now is just anxiety. I'm normally super chill but this whole thing has made me into a nervous bitch. My neighborhood is still quite calm but I worry about the future economy, hyperinflation, availability of water and food, roaming gangs of looters and retards ... I'm thinking too far ahead I guess and it's making me crazy.

Tyrannosaur
30 March 2020, 14:55
Ok here I guess. All I see is large groups of teenagers and college kids all day and night all over. Adults out on my street drinking in groups with all the kids in clusters while I sit here telling my kids no contact. I tattoo so I dont get paid and in a couple of months its gonna get bad.
Hoping for the best but as i said all the "social distancing" is BS. Stores are packed, people are out and about all day in droves and I'm here not worried about a virus, I'm worried about the collapse that's coming. Oh that $1200 wont help at all either, just a drop in the bucket

Joelski
30 March 2020, 14:56
Only 2 cases here and they are contact-related. We are as prepared as we can be for the hit. Been crazy busy with command staff meetings, sector meetings, sending updates to first responders in the area without tramping on the PIO's toes. The past few weeks have been nucking futz!

I, on the other hand was enjoying some fragging of bitchasses on my fave PC shooter and had a sudden onset of acute panic/anxiety which turned out to be atrial fibrillation. I rode the lightning three times and wouldn't ya know it; Cardizem did the trick. Spent the night, so buh-bye stimulus check!

Feeling better now, ready for dinner and beddy-bye to follow. It sounded like the hossy staff was running a ship breaking operation outside my door all night.

UWone77
30 March 2020, 15:09
Both the wife and I are still going to work. Both of us are definitely at higher risk for getting exposed, but we try not to live in fear.

Other than that, the stores here are stocked except for TP (whatever the fuck reason that fascination hasn't ended) people are more or less following the quarantine and social distancing. The roads and streets here are a ghost town. Pretty much how we live anyway since we're home bodies.

Today we got our building permits all approved for the new house build, but nothing will move on that end until this is over since there isn't anyone to actually construct the house. [:D]

Joelski
30 March 2020, 17:36
We're all homebodies, Rich. You can't deal with public and not daydream about being at home, away from all the *ahem* people. [:D]

UWone77
30 March 2020, 17:43
We're all homebodies, Rich. You can't deal with public and not daydream about being at home, away from all the *ahem* people. [:D]

Heh I was this way before I was in LE.

I keep joking until Xbox Live goes down.... what are people complaining about?!

Aragorn
30 March 2020, 19:29
I’ve been in Denver, Dallas, Chicago, and Cleveland the last few days. Hotels are empty. Streets at least where I’ve been are empty. It’s almost eerie when I have to walk in the evenings to pickup curbside for myself and all the shops and sidewalks are just... empty. Home went on lockdown since I’ve been gone so it’ll be interesting when I get back. Wife is a stay at home mom who was already home schooling the kids so no real changes there. At home not much seems to have actually changed except I can’t go the F#€KING gym! Pretty much the one thing that kept me sane. Maybe I should have invested in PS4 games instead of silver. Looking forward to the release of the new FF7 next month.

Life on the road though, that’s radically changed.

inthegame
30 March 2020, 19:52
Here in Los Angeles the freeways are empty. My wife still goes in to work as a veterinarian. I stay home as a programmer. Slowly people are getting social distancing rules, but there are idiots everywhere. We only go out for food or walk around the block with kids. All local gun stores are sold out of all guns. Most sold to new gun owners that all of a sudden see a need for 2A in their life. I had no need to venture out and wait 4 hours in line to buy ammo or a new gun. Hope this new gun owners vote that way in future elections not just in the store with $$. Food Stores are mostly stocked up with exception of hand sanitizer and tp. This weekend was first time I went in And found everything on my wife’s list. All in all as long as the family is healthy then that’s all that is worth anythjng at the moment.

Uffdaphil
30 March 2020, 19:57
Doing well here. My grocery has the first hour for seniors only so I will be going to re-stock the freezer in a couple of days. I have plenty of canned and other long term foods. Finished my winter build projects. Now occasionally bored since the libraries closed, but I signed up for Kindle Unlimited which helps. Finally motivated to get my reloading bench set up. Do a little excavating the room each day until Sunday when my brother visits to help move the safe and other heavy stuff. My biggest concern is his getting the virus. He has issues from smoking and a stroke and lives with 3 younger family who are out a lot.

Really looking forward to getting out to my American Legion gun club range when folks go back to work. In normal times, weekday mornings I have the place to myself or 2-3 other retirees at most.

mustangfreek
31 March 2020, 00:13
Congrats on the permits UW. Nice to get that out of the way and get to building...

Other then like everyone else says, me the woman and oldest kid are no workie. Gonna get interesting here shortly if this doesn’t dissolve some.

Certainly getting bored, heard from someone up on the mountains behind me getting told to go home, no shooting etc... So haven’t even bothered to go up.

So..fixing dirt bikes, working on the kids newest truck and just getting some stuff done..

Weeeeee

UWone77
31 March 2020, 18:39
Still cracks me up that it takes a Pandemic to make people realize...

1. Wash your hands
2. Restaurants aiming not to touch your food. [:D]
3. I may need a firearm

tact
31 March 2020, 19:00
I’ve been in Denver, Dallas, Chicago, and Cleveland the last few days. Hotels are empty. Streets at least where I’ve been are empty. It’s almost eerie when I have to walk in the evenings to pickup curbside for myself and all the shops and sidewalks are just... empty. Home went on lockdown since I’ve been gone so it’ll be interesting when I get back. Wife is a stay at home mom who was already home schooling the kids so no real changes there. At home not much seems to have actually changed except I can’t go the F#€KING gym! Pretty much the one thing that kept me sane. Maybe I should have invested in PS4 games instead of silver. Looking forward to the release of the new FF7 next month.

Life on the road though, that’s radically changed.

Best investment I’ve ever made was buying gym equipment.

Aragorn
31 March 2020, 19:20

I hear ya... kinda looking at a Matrix or Rogue Power Rack and eyeballing the garage a little differently.

SINNER
1 April 2020, 06:21
Nothing in DC and Baltimore has really changed. Work is pumping as hard as ever. Wife is still working as well. Only difference is I can’t find any paper towels and I’m doing 30mph over the speed limit where it used to be 5mph mass traffic. Kids are home full time wrecking shit along with the dogs.

UWone77
1 April 2020, 09:50

What kind of setup do you have?

Just over a year ago, I bought a BowFlex Max Trainer, and have been regularly working out on that 4x a week. To me is an ass kicker. Still have my free weights, but looking to add another piece of equipment in the next house when room permits. I also plan to install a pull up bar.

RiverRat
1 April 2020, 12:30
Between Denver and Fort Collins, it's mostly quiet. Some small-town moaning about people driving in to hike nearby dedicated open space (an activity expressed permitted under the state-wide lockdown). My family is trying to help out local businesses on our infrequent trips out, but I have no idea how they're going to remain viable as this drags on.

I don't think it has sunk in for most people that this isn't "one and done" - I still get the sense most believe that 2-4 weeks of isolation somehow solves the problem. So really not looking forward to general reaction to inevitable incidence spikes as people emerge from seclusion after round 1.

rxer311
1 April 2020, 16:27
Still cracks me up that it takes a Pandemic to make people realize...

1. Wash your hands
2. Restaurants aiming not to touch your food. [:D]
3. I may need a firearm

4. NEED MOAR TP!!!!

FortTom
1 April 2020, 19:18
If alcohol kills germs, I'll just stay inside and consume the medication orally. Should work huh?.

FT[:D]

Former11B
1 April 2020, 19:42

This is gonna sound a little strange, but for those without the room/money/etc for home gym equipment, you can get in pretty good shape without any of the above by doing some YouTube prison cell style workouts

Unrelated:
I remember a couple years or more ago, I posted an early pic of my reloading room/cave coming together and one side had some supplies including one 6pk of TP visible. UWone commented and said “You’re gonna need way more TP than that!!” I had (and have) more but boy was that ever prophetic

BoilerUp
1 April 2020, 22:48
This is gonna sound a little strange, but for those without the room/money/etc for home gym equipment, you can get in pretty good shape without any of the above by doing some YouTube prison cell style workouts

So, gym equipment = 1 bar of soap?

Eric
2 April 2020, 03:51
If alcohol kills germs, I'll just stay inside and consume the medication orally. Should work huh?.

FT[:D]Absolutely. It's science.

Uffdaphil
2 April 2020, 04:29
A bright spot here is that Total Wine delivers my medicine by the case. No gouging and coupons and discounts still apply. I open the box and let the bottles age a few more days to make sure any hitchhiking critters are dead. A whole lot of internet toasting with oenophile friends in Florida lifts my spirits.

Perspective helps. Be thankful our environment is so much better than they had it in 1918.

tact
2 April 2020, 09:31
What kind of setup do you have?

Just over a year ago, I bought a BowFlex Max Trainer, and have been regularly working out on that 4x a week. To me is an ass kicker. Still have my free weights, but looking to add another piece of equipment in the next house when room permits. I also plan to install a pull up bar.

That’s great that you working out. I think a pull-up bar is a must.

I feel it is extremely important for everyone, and especially for those in a first responder status. It’s frustrating to see so many out of shape LEOs and I could rant on and on on the subject.

I have the luxury now of a 4 car garage, so half of it is our gym. I started years ago with a package from Rogue: rack, barbell, bumper plates, KBs, rings, jump box, and a wall ball. I’ve since added bands, bench, sandbags, more KBs and dumbbells, slam ball, farmers carry handles, rower, and Rogue assault bike. A sled is next on the list. I should have a belt squat machine showing up today. It will allow me to keep squatting but alleviate compression of my spine as my back is a bit trashed these days.

Aragorn
2 April 2020, 10:26
Rogue is good stuff. Unfortunately I’ve only got a two car garage so not a lot of room to set up. May be a moot point though seeing how Rogues entire site is sold out. Racks, benches, accessories... everything.

tact
2 April 2020, 10:35
Rogue is good stuff. Unfortunately I’ve only got a two car garage so not a lot of room to set up. May be a moot point though seeing how Rogues entire site is sold out. Racks, benches, accessories... everything.

There’s a lot of other companies making quality stuff to compete with Rogue at a better price point. There’s a video of a guy on the Tube that didn’t have much room and was able to get a lot of stuff on his wall that folds out. As far as OOS, it’s pretty much fitness equipment across all companies ever since they closed everyone’s gym.

UWone77
2 April 2020, 12:41
That’s great that you working out. I think a pull-up bar is a must.

I feel it is extremely important for everyone, and especially for those in a first responder status. It’s frustrating to see so many out of shape LEOs and I could rant on and on on the subject.

I have the luxury now of a 4 car garage, so half of it is our gym. I started years ago with a package from Rogue: rack, barbell, bumper plates, KBs, rings, jump box, and a wall ball. I’ve since added bands, bench, sandbags, more KBs and dumbbells, slam ball, farmers carry handles, rower, and Rogue assault bike. A sled is next on the list. I should have a belt squat machine showing up today. It will allow me to keep squatting but alleviate compression of my spine as my back is a bit trashed these days.

Used to have a pull up bar when I was single, got up to cranking out 12 pull ups before breakfast as a routine. Don't have that anymore, it's amazing how fast your strength goes.

I agree with you, gotta keep in shape. My department is full of guys that are workout junkies so I have to somewhat keep up. Before the max trainier, my resting heart rate was 70 bpm. Now it's down to 55, and sometimes when I'm really calm, I can get it down to 53 or so. Pretty good for me. As I've gotten older, I realized I can't do the free weights as much anymore. Joints hurt, back hurts, I just don't bounce back as fast.

Eric
2 April 2020, 16:48
I'm building up Corona antibodies. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200402/ada63d8d289443c6090745ea7ad5a67d.jpg

MoxyDave
3 April 2020, 11:05
Better stock up, they just quit producing Corona beer:

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2020/04/03/Mexican-brewer-ceases-production-of-Corona-beer/6131585908935/

This just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.

fledge
3 April 2020, 16:43
Better stock up, they just quit producing Corona beer:

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2020/04/03/Mexican-brewer-ceases-production-of-Corona-beer/6131585908935/

This just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.

Looks like that is only because the Mexican govt doesn’t consider it “essential.” I guess the preppers were right: alcohol will become a future currency. [emoji38]

Big_Tom
18 April 2020, 18:42
Well it started off ok. The plant where I work decided to shut down last part of March for 2 weeks. Then the worst part was a week into the shut down they decided to layoff a good size chunk of us.

Other that we are good between all the rain, getting all honey dos done, and helping my dad I can't complain. Once I get all that done I've got some bigger projects to tackle that have been getting pushed back cause of work.

I got a few rifle builds to finish up but been to busy lately so maybe I can get them done.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mustangfreek
20 April 2020, 01:57
Good to see ya posting BT!

Same here, everyone is home and more stuff that got pushed off is getting done...

FortTom
21 April 2020, 11:25
All the horrible crap aside, staying holed up has given me time to "re-discover" my other interests that I've ignored too long due to nowhere to shoot, nothing else to build, etc..etc... I'm sickened by the deaths, and the folks laid off or losing their jobs and super wealthy dick wad politicians playing games with money badly needed for small business and helping people who need help first.

I want to shoot a FKG hole through my TV when I see an absolutely ruthless, thoughtless bitch bragging about her two 24K refrigerators full of food, when people are struggling just to keep enough in their fridges to feed their families. The heartless asswipe brags about her expensive collection of gourmet ice cream, while little kids who would love to have a dish of ice cream of any kind, have to be persuaded to understand that mommy and daddy have to buy the essentials, and ice cream is not on the menu due to income situations.

Rant over.

FT:mad:

FortTom
21 April 2020, 12:26
Looks like that is only because the Mexican govt doesn’t consider it “essential.” I guess the preppers were right: alcohol will become a future currency. [emoji38] Don't be too surprised. KY is the only place (that I personally know of) that considers liquor and beer essential, so the liquor stores did not go on lockdown like the bars did. I think I'll submit this to Jeff Foxworthy. He could probably get a good "you might be a redneck" joke out of it.

What's the last thing a Kentuckian says before he dies? "Hey y'all, watch this" or "hold my beer".

gatordev
21 April 2020, 13:06
Don't be too surprised. KY is the only place (that I personally know of) that considers liquor and beer essential, so the liquor stores did not go on lockdown like the bars did.

FL was the same.

What's the last thing a Kentuckian says before he dies? "Hey y'all, watch this" or "hold my beer".

I'm pretty sure that's while the Kentuckian is hanging out with Florida Man (https://floridaman.com/).

Aragorn
21 April 2020, 19:12
FL was the same.

Also TX.

Joelski
22 April 2020, 15:31
Hell, here you can call OG and buy 6 bread sticks and get up to 6 bottles of booze delivered.

fledge
22 April 2020, 17:06
Turns out liquor stores are essential in CO too. And business is booming. [emoji23]

FortTom
23 April 2020, 10:45
FL was the same.

I'm pretty sure that's while the Kentuckian is hanging out with Florida Man (https://floridaman.com/).

Kentuckian hasn't got anything on Florida Man.[adore]

juanlien
23 April 2020, 10:49
Only 2 cases here and they are contact-related. We are as prepared as we can be for the hit. Been crazy busy with command staff meetings, sector meetings, sending updates to first responders in the area without tramping on the PIO's toes. The past few weeks have been nucking futz!

I, on the other hand was enjoying some fragging of bitchasses on my fave PC shooter and had a sudden onset of acute panic/anxiety which turned out to be atrial fibrillation. I rode the lightning three times and wouldn't ya know it; Cardizem did the trick. Spent the night, so buh-bye stimulus check!

Feeling better now, ready for dinner and beddy-bye to follow. It sounded like the hossy staff was running a ship breaking operation outside my door all night.

nicehttps://babang.xyz/assets/18/o.png

Big_Tom
23 April 2020, 19:29
Good to see ya posting BT!

Same here, everyone is home and more stuff that got pushed off is getting done...Yeah I've tried to post more but this last year has been a flipping roller coaster ride.

Last April I lost my Grand dad to lung cancer. So I have been taken care of all his livestock.

Then early summer my mother in law was diagnosed with lung cancer. After 4 months of chemo the masses shrunk and were nearly gone. Then in late December we found it moved to her brain and passed on in mid January.

While that was goin on in Oct I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer. It was just stage 2 so all I had to do was 1 single dose of chemo and was out of work for 6 weeks. Thankful of the STD (short term disability) not the other std I had then.

So I'll take this time to get everthing done I can while Im not working. Cause when everything goes back to normal Ill be back to work.

mustangfreek
24 April 2020, 02:34
Sounds like a lot.

Take care of yourself and good luck on the projects...lol..I say that as we were just gonna paint the exterior of our house as we reroofed our roof and put on all new fascia boards right before winter, so needed trim paint, which turned into the whole house..

Which led to... now we’re painting interior, and kitchen cabinets, new flooring in the kitchen...lol...snowballed..we had some of the stuff already, but also were doing all the work so not a lot out of pocket...

But I need a range break...lol..but their all closed..[BD]

Big_Tom
24 April 2020, 05:38
Sounds like a lot.

Take care of yourself and good luck on the projects...lol..I say that as we were just gonna paint the exterior of our house as we reroofed our roof and put on all new fascia boards right before winter, so needed trim paint, which turned into the whole house..

Which led to... now we’re painting interior, and kitchen cabinets, new flooring in the kitchen...lol...snowballed..we had some of the stuff already, but also were doing all the work so not a lot out of pocket...

But I need a range break...lol..but their all closed..[BD]Oh yeah. My dad does small remodels just not,as many nowadays. And I know exactly what you're talking about. I've seen a 1 week job turn into a 5 month project. And it all started with leaky pipe. Lol

BoilerUp
29 May 2020, 20:01
Thought I'd post this here as I was fortunate enough to find a bit of a silver lining in the current events. I work in a industry that's been severely impacted by COVID and as a result have been put on a 25% furlough (3 weeks on, 1 week off with no pay) schedule for several months. The upside to this is the company is very stringent that no work be conducted while on furlough, so this past week I was able to spend with my family out at "the farm" (the ~30 acres we bought back in December) and really unplug. My project this past week was to build a shooting bench. With some instructions and "inspiration" from youtube (https://youtu.be/iD8UM802s_w) I built this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-FrV3X5F/0/42ea70be/X3/i-FrV3X5F-X3.jpg

I decided to go ahead and stain it using "gunstock" from minwax:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KVvX2gz/0/dfc4fb34/X3/i-KVvX2gz-X3.jpg

So, the upside to a temporary pay cut is having time to enjoy the fulfillment of something I had dreamed about for a long time: a nice shooting range on my own property
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-qVr7z49/0/6c0621b8/X3/i-qVr7z49-X3.jpg

I know I'm quite lucky to have such a retreat from the current craziness of the world and that a lot of folks are really suffering right now, so hopefully this doesn't come across wrong. Looking forward to life returning to normal, although I could get used to only working 75% of the time pretty easy.

MoxyDave
30 May 2020, 11:24
That is dope man! I think we'd all love to have something like that. Enjoy your time away from work; life is too short!

Jerry R
30 May 2020, 13:08
Very nicely done, Sir !! Three years ago I built a bench for GriffonSec. Fun project, and a stable platform for shooting. Yours looks great!

Big_Tom
30 May 2020, 13:51
Looks good. Have been wanting to build me one.

fledge
30 May 2020, 15:30
Nicely done, BU.

rxer311
30 May 2020, 15:48
Would love to have a range on my property. Awesome!

Aragorn
30 May 2020, 18:22
Cover and all. That’s really nice.

UWone77
1 June 2020, 18:20
While in Seattle... this guy is a Bad Ass for recovering a Stolen Seattle PD AR15

https://youtu.be/aVAMUejexa0

Stone
1 June 2020, 19:14
Nice! Moved like he knew what he was doing. Friggen locked and loaded here, just a few miles from downtown Minneapolis. Friggen politicians are a bunch of pussies.

alamo5000
1 June 2020, 19:16
Fox reported that the guy in the video is ex special forces. Didn't say specifics.

UWone77
2 June 2020, 16:06
I was surprised to see that SPD does not secure their rifles in Santa Cruz Type Gun Lock Racks. Looks like he just got it out of a gun bag from the rear.

Jerry R
15 June 2020, 12:08
Pretty well, now [BD]

Had a malignant squamous cell carcinoma show up on my right hand ring finger. Had surgery this morning. The had to go in a second time (deeper) to get it all, then cut a flap on the hand for a graft.

alamo5000
15 June 2020, 12:13
Wow. Holy smokes dude. I hope everything is ok! I will send prayers your way for a speedy recovery.

Jerry R
15 June 2020, 13:01
Wow. Holy smokes dude. I hope everything is ok! I will send prayers your way for a speedy recovery.

Thanks, much appreciated. Should be back to full strength and flexibility by the fall shoot.

Aragorn
15 June 2020, 19:54
Ouch man! Glad they were able to get it all!

UWone77
15 June 2020, 20:52
Jerry,

That's one helluva pic.

Hope you're recovering well.

Not to get too personal, but lots of sun exposure? Family History or just plain out of the blue?

Uffdaphil
15 June 2020, 22:29
Re the Seattle guy disarming the rioter. Full story here in an interview. Two different guys took ARs from the cop SUVs. The second one was shooting amidst the mob. He disarmed both. Then escorted the reporter he was guarding through the hostile crowd for 3-4 blocks. Very calm and competent throughout.

https://youtu.be/jrx-xG_vNBY

Joelski
16 June 2020, 04:13
For anybody wondering what the rationale behind "mindset" is about, see above.

Jerry R
16 June 2020, 04:48
Jerry,

That's one helluva pic.

Hope you're recovering well.

Not to get too personal, but lots of sun exposure? Family History or just plain out of the blue?

Thanks. It's the Irish in me I guess. Had a Clark's Level 3 malignant spreading melanoma on my right shoulder in 1998. Doc said I was lucky to survive that one. I try to limit my sun time. Mostly walking the pup. Don't go to the pool much, and lots of grease when I do go. When you're older than dirt, you gotta be careful ;)

FortTom
17 June 2020, 16:03
Thanks, much appreciated. Should be back to full strength and flexibility by the fall shoot.
Damn Jerry, be careful and heal up soon.
FT.