PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 20” (possibly longer) .223 barrel

Former11B
7 April 2020, 18:27
I’m going to be competing in a tactical division next year which requires you shoot either .308 or .223. The Open division has all the hot rods like the Creedmoors, 6GT/Dasher/etc etc.

My current 16” Ultramatch barrels are fantastic but I want to step it up a notch for velocity’s sake. Currently, I’m pushing 75gr Hornadys around 2650fps. 4” extra would probably add somewhere around 80-100fps, and I think I’m going to start using 73gr ELDs for said matches, so all in I want to be closer to or hitting 2800fps, which is definitely doable

I also have a ton of 77gr TMKs which would be greatly accelerated as well....my load for them is in the low 2600s but they’re darn accurate. Of course I’d be re-working my loads

I’m getting off track.

I’ve been looking at quality barrels and the two I’m comparing to start with are:

20” Rainier UM Mod 2 SDM ($380)
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-mod2-223-wylde-sdm-fluted-rifle-750-gas-block-tin-extension-20-satin/

1/2x28 threads
1:7.5
Fluted
.750 gas block seat
2lbs 6oz

20” Criterion 223 Wylde ($340)
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-barrels-fluted-stainless-steel-rifle-length-prod84773.aspx

1/2x28 threads
Fluted
.750 gas block seat
2lbs 3oz

They’re VERY similar all the way around and both have good reputations.

I checked WOA barrels and the ones I liked were either unthreaded or 5/8x24.

Any other sub $400 barrel worth looking at? The corresponding Lilja barrel I liked was $500 [wow]

MoxyDave
8 April 2020, 12:36
Any other sub $400 barrel worth looking at? The corresponding Lilja barrel I liked was $500 [wow]

I bought a Lilja barrel a few years ago. I had to send it back to them to re-cut the chamber. They're not all they are cracked up to be ...

Former11B
8 April 2020, 17:21
I bought a Lilja barrel a few years ago. I had to send it back to them to re-cut the chamber. They're not all they are cracked up to be ...

Glad my top two choices are less expensive! Thanks for the heads up

fledge
8 April 2020, 18:47
Craddock is always solid. I looked at their 223 barrels and they have none listed over 20”. I’m sure he can turn one for any length you specify.

https://craddockprecision.com/ar15-barrels/

If a Bartlein, you can choose your twist rate. But that’s above $500.

Former11B
9 April 2020, 05:08
Craddock is always solid. I looked at their 223 barrels and they have none listed over 20”. I’m sure he can turn one for any length you specify.

https://craddockprecision.com/ar15-barrels/

If a Bartlein, you can choose your twist rate. But that’s above $500.

Yeah with my options it was a hair over $800 lol

That’s a taaaaaaad bit out of my league I think

Aragorn
9 April 2020, 08:23
Whoa, that’s up near Proof territory.

Curious what options you selected.

Former11B
9 April 2020, 11:37
Whoa, that’s up near Proof territory.

Curious what options you selected.

Craddock Bartlein w/ Straight fluting, Superlative Gas Block + tube, and a head spaced bolt. $842. “Free” options: 1:7.7, 1/2x28 threads, .875” seat

I selected the Craddock Criterion 20” barrel with identical options as above and came out to $570. Fluting wasn’t standard on that particular Criterion barrel as it is with the one in my first post. To be fair, the $570 includes the gas block and tube I’d be buying anyways which is about $110, so it’s more like $430 vs $570 for the two Criterion barrels.

One more option I’ve found and heard good things about:

Faxon 20” Heavy Match Nitrided 223 Wylde ($320)
1/2x28 threads
1:8 twist/5R rifling
Fluted
.750 gas block seat
2lbs 1oz

https://faxonfirearms.com/match-series-20-heavy-fluted-223-wylde-rifle-length-416r-nitride-5r-nickel-teflon-extension/

I’ve read good things about this barrel. Definitely adding this to the list for consideration

Aragorn
9 April 2020, 12:40
Craddock Bartlein w/ Straight fluting, Superlative Gas Block + tube, and a head spaced bolt. $842. “Free” options: 1:7.7, 1/2x28 threads, .875” seat

I selected the Craddock Criterion 20” barrel with identical options as above and came out to $570. Fluting wasn’t standard on that particular Criterion barrel as it is with the one in my first post. To be fair, the $570 includes the gas block and tube I’d be buying anyways which is about $110, so it’s more like $430 vs $570 for the two Criterion barrels.

Ah, gotcha. Was curious because I played around with it some after Fledge posted the link (been debating something more accurate for a 16”) and actually used most of the same options as you, except no gas block or bolt. So yes, I can see how that drove cost up.

Another barrel maybe to consider, a buddy of mine has a BCM 20” 410SS barrel that he can pull 1/2 - 3/4 MOA 5 shot groups with. At least with 77gr hand loads. About 1 MOA with 77gr Razorcore.

fledge
9 April 2020, 13:07
Just on brand and quality alone, I’d choose the Ranier UM over Faxon. Isn’t the UM made from Shilen blanks? If they are anything like my 18” SMOS shilen barrels, I would be very happy with that. It’s beyond its price point.

UWone77
9 April 2020, 13:18
Just on brand and quality alone, I’d choose the Ranier UM over Faxon. Isn’t the UM made from Shilen blanks? If they are anything like my 18” SMOS shilen barrels, I would be very happy with that. It’s beyond its price point.

Gen 1's were Shilens, Gen 2 they changed, not sure who makes the blanks... but they are all turned by a company named in this thread... which is probably why they're such great shooters. [:D]

fledge
9 April 2020, 13:24
Gen 1's were Shilens, Gen 2 they changed, not sure who makes the blanks... but they are all turned by a company named in this thread... which is probably why they're such great shooters. [:D]

Yeah, I’d go with the UM. Do they still have the satisfaction warranty?

UWone77
9 April 2020, 14:31
Yeah, I’d go with the UM. Do they still have the satisfaction warranty?

Correct, all RA barrels have the 90 day money back guarantee

Former11B
9 April 2020, 20:35
Yeaaahhh....I’ve currently got three Ultramatch barrels in use (One Shilen/Mod 1 and two Mod 2s) and have had six RA barrels total. No reason to switch now I guess. I’d still love to know who tunes them but secrets gonna secret, and the results are obviously there

Was reading a Snipers Hide thread from 2018 about a guy testing four new Mod 2 RA barrels (300BLK, 223 Wylde, 224V, and 6.5CM). Wish I had that kind of time!! He was getting High 2700s/Low 2800s with 73gr ELDs and 77gr SMKs in a 20” just like I was looking at, which are exactly the figures I was hoping for. I really need a sponsor for next year lol. We’ll see how I do overall this year and go from there....I’m just happy that I’m learning so much more about shooting than I ever would’ve just pinging steel and playing around with new hand loads every outing

mustangfreek
11 April 2020, 18:30
Is this a run and gun kinda course or stationary timed

If run and gun I’d take the 16” , for such a small gain-FPS. But if sitting, I’d take the longer barrel

Not trying to buzzkill your new build idea..just don’t totally see why.. don’t ya have a 18” UM?

Former11B
11 April 2020, 20:34
Is this a run and gun kinda course or stationary timed

If run and gun I’d take the 16” , for such a small gain-FPS. But if sitting, I’d take the longer barrel

Not trying to buzzkill your new build idea..just don’t totally see why.. don’t ya have a 18” UM?

I used to have an 18” but I sold the barrel.

It was a weird intermediate length to me...like either go 16” or shorter or go 20” or longer. Sort of like .40 S&W....it just doesn’t make sense [:D]

The matches I’m doing have a little of both. It’s all on the clock and some stages are more stationary and some have a lot more movement, changing positions (like inside a vehicle to outside on the hood) or from a boat etc etc etc. A 24-26” barrel would be excessive because regardless I’ll be using a can and that would be super long

Former11B
13 April 2020, 09:16
Compass Lake has some pretty good offerings that are in my ballpark...

https://compasslake.com/product-category-hide/barrels/match-rifle/

mustangfreek
13 April 2020, 09:57
Benchmark barrels is another upper end possibility..killer reviews and they build ya what ya want ... there right down the road from me.

http://benchmark-barrels.com/Benchmark_Barrels/Benchmark_Barrels_Home.html

Aragorn
13 April 2020, 12:16
BRT also makes a Stainless Recce version of their Optimum barrel. I’ve got one of their light profile ones. Hell of a smooth shooter.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-16-OPTIMUM-RECCE-STAINLESS-Barrel-p79720046

Former11B
15 May 2020, 09:41
I think I’ve narrowed it down to two barrels and I will hopefully be purchasing one within the next 4-6 weeks or so.

Either the Rainier UM Mod 2 20” SDM barrel or the Criterion 20”

Both are 20” rifle length gas, Wylde chambered, fluted barrels with .750” gas block seats & 1/2x28 threads. The RA barrel is about 2oz heavier and has a 1:7.5 twist where the Criterion has a 1:8 twist.

The RA barrel is about $40 more so they’re really close price and spec wise and both have very good reputations. Not sure how to make up my mind on this one

mustangfreek
15 May 2020, 15:46
I’m too lazy to look..how heavy are they overall?

Former11B
15 May 2020, 19:04
I’m too lazy to look..how heavy are they overall?

The Criterion is 2lbs, 4oz
The RA is 2lbs 6oz

I was also recommended this:
https://www.lothar-walther.com/883/ar15-vartac-stainless.223wylde-mud-1/2-28-unef-2a-l-20.00?c=24

20” Lothar Walther 223 Wylde barrel. 2lbs 9oz. I’m assuming rifle gas

Proof Research makes a nice stainless barrel but it’s over 3lbs and about $100 more than I wanted to spend

UWone77
15 May 2020, 19:44
I vote the Rainier. The UM line has never disappointed me, but then again you've got several UM's maybe Criterion to change it up?

Ultimately... I'm sure they're going to all be shooters

Former11B
16 May 2020, 08:00
Turns out with my ExpertVoice account, the discount on the Proof barrel makes it $360. It’s heavy but apparently it’s hard to beat.

Lots of good options. The RA barrels have never let me down and theyre currently in three of my rifles (my 4th, 5th, and 6th RA barrels respectively)

Hmmm

fledge
16 May 2020, 15:22
You can get a CF proof barrel for $360? Wow.

My 3 proof barrels have been decent. But not any better than my shilen or bartlein with factory ammo. Now with handloads, seems even a mid-grade barrel can often be brought into sub-moa levels.

Former11B
16 May 2020, 15:58
You can get a CF proof barrel for $360? Wow.

My 3 proof barrels have been decent. But not any better than my shilen or bartlein with factory ammo. Now with handloads, seems even a mid-grade barrel can often be brought into sub-moa levels.

The CF one is $650 lol. Still a good deal when normally $800+

Stainless is $360...but it’s significantly heavier than the RA and Criterion options (by an extra 13-15oz respectively).

Aragorn
16 May 2020, 18:12
Wait, where are you seeing a CF Proof for $650? I’m buying a 16” 1/8 intermediate and cheapest I can find is still $800

tact
16 May 2020, 19:40
Wait, where are you seeing a CF Proof for $650? I’m buying a 16” 1/8 intermediate and cheapest I can find is still $800

ExpertVoice....

UWone77
18 May 2020, 18:33

Everyone should check Expert Voice to see if they qualify for any of the groups. Some great deals, good deals, and not so great deals on there.

fledge
18 May 2020, 19:36
I tried as soon as it was mentioned here. Seems like their entire list is for employees of companies. Was hoping being a member on WEVO would count. [emoji56]

UWone77
18 May 2020, 19:42
I tried as soon as it was mentioned here. Seems like their entire list is for employees of companies. Was hoping being a member on WEVO would count. [emoji56]

I'm on the LE group. There are tons of professions and backgrounds as well. Fire, MIL, ect. A lot of the discounts are the same, I believe the MIL group is one of the best.

Former11B
19 May 2020, 03:52
There are tooooons of brands on there. The outdoor/shooting stuff is great.

That’s also how Vortex verified their military discount offer. The deal on the 5-25 FFP PST is pretty solid. Might add one of those to the stable next. Burris, Steiner (binos and tactical optics only...I did look for a PX4I [BD] ) Salomon, Keen, Carhartt, Oakley... I mean the list goes on. It’s a pretty cool resource

Should be ordering whatever I decide (Barrel wise) within a few days.

apmcdaniel
4 June 2020, 17:26
I’m going to be competing in a tactical division next year which requires you shoot either .308 or .223. The Open division has all the hot rods like the Creedmoors, 6GT/Dasher/etc etc.

My current 16” Ultramatch barrels are fantastic but I want to step it up a notch for velocity’s sake. Currently, I’m pushing 75gr Hornadys around 2650fps. 4” extra would probably add somewhere around 80-100fps, and I think I’m going to start using 73gr ELDs for said matches, so all in I want to be closer to or hitting 2800fps, which is definitely doable

I also have a ton of 77gr TMKs which would be greatly accelerated as well....my load for them is in the low 2600s but they’re darn accurate. Of course I’d be re-working my loads

I’m getting off track.

I’ve been looking at quality barrels and the two I’m comparing to start with are:

20” Rainier UM Mod 2 SDM ($380)
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-mod2-223-wylde-sdm-fluted-rifle-750-gas-block-tin-extension-20-satin/

1/2x28 threads
Fluted
.750 gas block seat
2lbs 6oz

20” Criterion 223 Wylde ($340)
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-barrels-fluted-stainless-steel-rifle-length-prod84773.aspx

1/2x28 threads
Fluted
.750 gas block seat
2lbs 3oz

They’re VERY similar all the way around and both have good reputations.

I checked WOA barrels and the ones I liked were either unthreaded or 5/8x24.

For what it's worth, I have a few Lilja barreled AR15s, and a Lilja barreled AR308. I was able to get in on a couple of volume discount buys. They are outstanding. I also have Criterion and getting ready to build a Rainier UM Mod 2. I'm interested to see how it compares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Former11B
5 June 2020, 19:32
I went with the Proof Research 20” Stainless steel 1:7.

I got a killer deal on it and with the lead time, I had to order it so I’d have it by fall for load testing and dope etc. If for whatever reason it falls through or they tell me it won’t deliver in time, the Rainier barrel is my backup choice. To be fair, with all the RA barrels I’ve had, they’ve all been stellar performers. I just wanted to try the Proof barrel out for some reason

mustangfreek
5 June 2020, 21:03
Hope it works out...dang that’s a long lead time for barrel