PDA

View Full Version : RC2 or Mini?

BoilerUp
28 July 2020, 13:23
Considering a Surefire SOCOM 7.62 for an LMT MWS/MARS-H. Will likely run an 18" barrel (.308) and the thing will be a pig. Should I stick with the RC2 or go with the 7.62 Mini? I'm leaning towards the mini but they are OOS everywhere so I get more instant gratification if I order the RC2.

alamo5000
28 July 2020, 13:55
What's the end goal for the rifle?

I'm just asking for an "in general" kind of understanding but what attracts you to those specific cans?

BoilerUp
28 July 2020, 14:29
What's the end goal for the rifle?

I'm just asking for an "in general" kind of understanding but what attracts you to those specific cans?

LARPing as Kiwi designated marksman [BD]

But without the gear. And probably from a bench. Any maybe from rooftops during periods of civil unrest. IDK.

mustangfreek
29 July 2020, 04:30
Lol...

I’d say in this environment..get whatever one you can...[BD]

Not sure how much your giving up with the K can really..

Former11B
29 July 2020, 05:40
LARPing as Kiwi designated marksman [BD]

But without the gear. And probably from a bench. Any maybe from rooftops during periods of civil unrest. IDK.

I think he meant Surefire in general...

Are you trying to stick with a specific look, etc?

BoilerUp
29 July 2020, 06:32
I think he meant Surefire in general...

Are you trying to stick with a specific look, etc?

Yes, I'm generally building my MARS-H to match the New Zealand rifles which have a Surefire MD on them. I know NZ bought Surefire cans to go with their MARS-L, but I'm not sure if they have the Surefire cans for the 7.62 DMR. I suspect so, but can't find any documentation.

gatordev
29 July 2020, 08:02
I have a RC and a Mini. The RC2 will definitely be heavier (and of course longer), but it is noticeably quieter, especially on my 16" gun. I end up running the Mini on my SR-25 since it's already 20". I've put the RC on my 20" bolt gun just because it's already "quiet" without the gas system, so I might as well take advantage of the longer can. The Mini currently lives on my 300BO bedroom gun and it feels just like a 5.56 RC.

Not sure any of that helps.

BoilerUp
30 July 2020, 09:40
I have a RC and a Mini. The RC2 will definitely be heavier (and of course longer), but it is noticeably quieter, especially on my 16" gun. I end up running the Mini on my SR-25 since it's already 20". I've put the RC on my 20" bolt gun just because it's already "quiet" without the gas system, so I might as well take advantage of the longer can. The Mini currently lives on my 300BO bedroom gun and it feels just like a 5.56 RC.

Not sure any of that helps.

So I should get both. :)

edit: I didn't appreciate that the 7.62 Mini is pretty much the same as the 5.56 RC2. So the 7.62 RC adds 2.2 in and 2.5 ounces. Given this is going on fairly heavy rifle with probably an 18" barrel, I think I'll go ahead and order the 7.62 RC2. That would be about the same as your 20" with the Mini and I shoot on private property so the extra noise reduction does help me be a good neighbor.

gatordev
30 July 2020, 13:20
Plus you can get it "now!"*

* (Plus or minus a year)

UWone77
30 July 2020, 13:51
You should definitely get both.

For me, I use cans to take the edge off, so Mini's and K's for me all day.

mustangfreek
31 July 2020, 01:30
You should definitely get both.

For me, I use cans to take the edge off, so Mini's and K's for me all day.

Serious question. For a guy with a full size 762 can and deciding next between a full size 556 or K can, which one would you recommend?

I like the idea of shortness/compact and the other side, max suppression at only a penalty of 1” Longer and 2 oz heavier

Various length 556 hosts 10.5”, future 11.5 or 12.5” and couple 16”ers..

Thanks

gatordev
31 July 2020, 06:49
If you're planning to run it (and I mean actually run it, not think about running it) on a 16" gun, I'd go with a K can. The reality of shooting a full size 5.56 can on a 16", for me, just becomes an annoyance, unless it's a RECCE type setup.

But...

Just understand the K can isn't really all that quiet, especially on a short gun. And if your intended purpose of a suppressor is quiet (vs some of the other requirements), then it's kind of a waste. Mustang, I'm not saying you specifically rate quietness as the top priority, just using that as an example.

One other side note that may or may not be relevant... I find for rifles that have brakes on them specifically for the muzzle flip reduction, I'm pretty much never running them suppressed unless it's at night (which is super-rare), or again, if it's in a RECCE configuration. The extra weight isn't worth the reduction in flat shooting, to me, when that's the priority for that day.

mustangfreek
2 August 2020, 01:56
Thanks for the info. I hear what your saying.

VIPER 237
2 August 2020, 20:22
Yeah mini cans are more concussion reducers than anything, especially on short barrels. My buddies Socom mini 2 is a flame thrower even in daylight on his mk18 upper, I also doubt it’s even close to hearing safe as it’s still loud AF. Mini/k cans only shine on 16”+ barrels.

Joelski
3 August 2020, 04:40
Cans for sound suppression pretty much suck on any 5.56. The benefits are flash and concussion reduction for indoors shooting sports. And they make your rifle look more cool. IMO, cans like the optimus micro are attractive mainly because of .22 cal and they can work on 5.56 as well, but are much more size appropriate for the plinkers.

My advice would be get the .22 end cap for your .30 cal can and you’re damn close to a dedicated small caliber can because you can’t take away the sonic crack, so save the money for something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BoilerUp
17 November 2021, 07:44
It looks like my indecision finally paid off. I got a marketing email from Silencer Shop yesterday morning that the SOCOM 762 RC2 is in stock along with a promotion for a free tax stamp. About an hour later my order was placed and two hours after that my ATF documentation was complete. I even used SS's "live chat" to place the order as I had a $75 credit to apply from being an "EForm Survivor" from their fiasco with digital integration with the ATF a few years ago. From a business point of view, Silencer Shop has done an excellent job with their e-commerce, partner network, and fulfillment (including ATF paperwork). Now we'll see how fast the ATF processes the paperwork under the current admin.

Former11B
18 November 2021, 18:58
It looks like my indecision finally paid off. I got a marketing email from Silencer Shop yesterday morning that the SOCOM 762 RC2 is in stock along with a promotion for a free tax stamp. About an hour later my order was placed and two hours after that my ATF documentation was complete. I even used SS's "live chat" to place the order as I had a $75 credit to apply from being an "EForm Survivor" from their fiasco with digital integration with the ATF a few years ago. From a business point of view, Silencer Shop has done an excellent job with their e-commerce, partner network, and fulfillment (including ATF paperwork). Now we'll see how fast the ATF processes the paperwork under the current admin.

Did my paperwork on Nov 8 through SS for a Nomad LT. We’ll see how long the form 3 wait is

Wow, got an update today the Form 4 is in and the stamp check is cashed. So the can got here from TX and the form was sent in and everything in 11 days, even with the federal holiday