PDA

View Full Version : Bipods

Aragorn
6 September 2020, 13:17
I’m on the market for a bipod. 5.56 AR platform. I don’t feel like I need anything crazy as I’m not a sniper or hunting in the mountains. I more concerned about something rapidly deployable and that doesn’t bounce. My only experience was years ago with a Harris and I remember it jumping off the table every time I pulled the trigger. I want something that doesn’t do this.

What should I be looking at? What do you guys like? Are there other factors I should be considering?

Former11B
6 September 2020, 13:37
Magpul bipods don’t have the annoying springy twaaaaang the Harris does when fired on anything but a .22lr.

I modified one of mine to deploy at 45* angles like an Atlas...would be easy for them to do it from the factory IMO.

Accutac Bipods are solid from what I’ve seen but I hate the way they look (I know I know function over fashion but dang. Reminds me of an early YHM flash hider or something)

Then there’s always Atlas. Can’t go wrong there unless you’re on a budget

alamo5000
6 September 2020, 14:49
One feature that I didn't consider at first but ultimately comes in very handy is having independently adjustable legs.

If you are shooting from uneven surfaces you can adjust one leg up or down or front to back to get where you need to be at.

I've tried a number of junky bipods which all of them wound up in the trash. I bought them thinking that 'I don't want to go over board on something like a bipod', but then the guys here steered me to something good and it's now one of my most used things.

gatordev
6 September 2020, 14:56
Something to keep i mind is that when a bipod jumps (which really means the rifle is jumping), it's due to how the shooter has mounted the gun (coupled with caliber, of course). If you're shooting something that has enough recoil impulse to push back (ie, not a 22LR), that energy has to go somewhere. If you're not fully behind the gun (regardless of position), some of that energy is going to be imparted into the gun to make it "hop." While this is less likely in dirt and more likely on a hard surface, since the feet can't "dig" into anything, the overall issue still exists, regardless of surface.

As for bipods, I know Former11B has complained about the Harris twanging before. Personally I don't really notice it unless I'm deploying the legs, and even then, it doesn't bother me. But that's of course up to the shooter to determine. I find a Harris coupled with an Arisaka mount and a Pod-Loc to be a great option. I like to add some pointy feet too, but that's me.

I have an Atlas, and I get why it gained popularity when it came out. Mine has always had the problem of never being tight enough for tilt, but I think it was Will who said that was fixed in later models. Having the 45 degree position is nice. I do find it not as quick to deploy as a Harris, but it does deploy more quietly if that's a concern (which I understand could be).

I'll defer to Former11B on the Magpuls. I haven't used one.

UWone77
6 September 2020, 15:20
For casual bench shooting, I think the Magpuls are fine. I usually just use a bag though instead of a bipod.

SINNER
6 September 2020, 20:00
Atlas or Knights hands down. Buy once, cry once.

Magpul are shitty toys.
Bobro’s are a overpriced novelty.
Broken 3 GG&G’s.
Accu-Tac’s open notch legs are trash magnets.
Harris are the best cheap date but they rust and make noise.

mustangfreek
7 September 2020, 02:55
Atlas or Knights hands down. Buy once, cry once.

Magpul are shitty toys.
Bobro’s are a overpriced novelty.
Broken 3 GG&G’s.
Accu-Tac’s open notch legs are trash magnets.
Harris are the best cheap date but they rust and make noise.

Lol

I like my Harris, but played with a Atlas recently at a shop. Now I need one.

Jerry R
7 September 2020, 05:13
I have a couple of Harris, and one Atlas. The Harris "noise' has never bothered me, but I've never used it in a situation where that would be a factor. The Harris' are now in the spares box, and I only use the Atlas. Really like it.

Former11B
7 September 2020, 05:26
I’ve run Harris and Magpul’s relatively hard in a combination of hunting and competition shooting.

Magpul has held up. I just wish there was a shorter leg version so the initial length was maybe 1-1.5” shorter. I’ve never run this particular model fully extended but I have foregone the bipod on occasion for a rest/bag because I could get lower

Harris leg drags really badly on one side and I even tried putting tape on the spring to dampen the harmonics. This is on a longer mlok rail/Free floating barrel So I don’t know if some additional vibration is transferred to it that’s not normal

fledge
7 September 2020, 07:13
I like my Atlas. I’ve never needed to deploy more quickly that that. I also like a tripod setup. Depends what you want to do.

Aragorn
7 September 2020, 09:08
A whole lot of talk about the Atlas. That’s probably a hint. I started web perusing it and the KAC. Also the KFS Sierra 7 but geez that thing is like two pounds.

Price isn’t so much a factor so much as doing it right the first time.

Bags are historically what I’ve used when I’ve been on a bench, but I’m wanting to expand my horizons. Plus it makes sense for a Recce/Mini-SASS.

alamo5000
7 September 2020, 09:10
Atlas all the way. That's what I bought and I am glad I did.

gatordev
7 September 2020, 09:15
I’ve run Harris and Magpul’s relatively hard in a combination of hunting and competition shooting.

Harris leg drags really badly on one side and I even tried putting tape on the spring to dampen the harmonics. This is on a longer mlok rail/Free floating barrel So I don’t know if some additional vibration is transferred to it that’s not normal

I meant to add earlier, that when running my Harris in competitions, at least one of the legs would deploy when on a barricade. The button would go up against the vertical surface of the barricade and out shoots the leg. Annoying at times.

I haven't had leg dragging issues, although maybe I don't understand what you mean. Mine all deploy very quick.

Aragorn
7 September 2020, 09:38
Mine all deploy very quick.

To me this is the one alluring bit about the Harris. How fast it deploys. Sounds handy when prone-ing (proning?) out. Unless you just leave the others deployed when you think you may use it. Shoot and move kinda stuff.

Joelski
7 September 2020, 09:52
Atlas FTW!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200907/84d51529f0bca93165e4b9bb43a46110.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

gatordev
7 September 2020, 10:00
To me this is the one alluring bit about the Harris. How fast it deploys. Sounds handy when prone-ing (proning?) out. Unless you just leave the others deployed when you think you may use it. Shoot and move kinda stuff.

There's two kinds of "deploying," putting the legs down and then also extending the legs. I find the Harris very quick to pull the legs down, but extending the legs is much less precise. How much that matters is of course up for debate.

I will tend to leave the legs down if I know I'm going to need them in a shoot and move situation. But there can be situations where I want them up and then I'm able to pull them down quickly as needed. Obviously none of us can say how you'll use it exactly.

I will iterate, though, a stock Atlas > a stock Harris. So if you did decide to get a Harris, add some to your budget for the extra bits to make it better (ie, smaller profile).

alamo5000
7 September 2020, 10:34
Regarding speed I saw some competition shooters that tie the legs of their (Harris) bipods together with paracord. When you pull one down both go down. Outside of competition circles I don't know how that will be an advantage. When you have to adjust for height on one side or the other the Atlas holds its own for 'speed'.

Unless there is a really niche purpose my view is getting everything set up 'right' is more important that getting it set up a second or two faster.

UWone77
7 September 2020, 10:58
Lol

I like my Harris, but played with a Atlas recently at a shop. Now I need one.

Standard SINNER review of a product.... crap crap crap.... kinda like this one, crap, this is the one, buy once, cry once. [:D]

gatordev
7 September 2020, 14:32
Unless there is a really niche purpose my view is getting everything set up 'right' is more important that getting it set up a second or two faster.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with that mindset as it fits with one's shooting style(s). One thing that I appreciate on this site is that there's an acceptance (with one or two exceptions) that there isn't a one-size-fits-all way to shoot.

That said, a second or two faster can be a lifetime in a competition, if that is one's usage case.

I'm not an Atlas hater, so hopefully it's not coming across that way. If you're willing to spend the money, it's probably the most versatile option that is also a quality product.

fledge
7 September 2020, 15:38
Standard SINNER review of a product.... crap crap crap.... kinda like this one, crap, this is the one, buy once, cry once. [:D]

Wish more reviews were like that. Haha It’s like the Watch Snob for firearms.

Aragorn
7 September 2020, 15:50
So does anyone here have side by side experience with the KAC vs. the Atlas?

alamo5000
7 September 2020, 17:11
And there's certainly nothing wrong with that mindset as it fits with one's shooting style(s). One thing that I appreciate on this site is that there's an acceptance (with one or two exceptions) that there isn't a one-size-fits-all way to shoot.

That said, a second or two faster can be a lifetime in a competition, if that is one's usage case.

I'm not an Atlas hater, so hopefully it's not coming across that way. If you're willing to spend the money, it's probably the most versatile option that is also a quality product.

It's not coming across as hating at all. I agree 100% that rarely anything is ever one size fits all. In fact I like when more than one perspective is shared because (here especially) it shares lots of experience.

I certainly don't want to come across as giving out advice beyond my personal experiences.

At the end of the day Harris has been around forever and a whole lot of people like them. In a certain area where those speed deployments matter it would be a great choice. The difference is knowing 'why' and for what situations. If I'm not mistaken Jerry Miculek runs a Harris as do a ton of other 3 gunners.

That said getting into a good position behind an obstacle or barricade or when on uneven or sloped terrain the Atlas IMO might have an edge. PRS competition might be a place where the Atlas shines.

"Competition" is a loaded word to me because there is a lot of diversity there too.

gatordev
7 September 2020, 19:11
No arguments from me, alamo. All good points.

Joelski
7 September 2020, 20:41
So does anyone here have side by side experience with the KAC vs. the Atlas?

They look so similar, I wouldn’t be surprised if KAC licenses some or all of Atlas’ design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SINNER
8 September 2020, 04:36
The Knight’s bipod is superior to the Atlas but it’s a significant amount more. The push buttons are more refined than the collars and the pan and tilt are on separate controls. I like the QD set up better also. If I could design a bipod from the ground up it would wind up being almost identical to the knights.

I own every bipod I’ve mentioned. Gave away the Magpul though. No need for a unusable bipod.

Former11B
8 September 2020, 06:27
I meant to add earlier, that when running my Harris in competitions, at least one of the legs would deploy when on a barricade. The button would go up against the vertical surface of the barricade and out shoots the leg. Annoying at times.

I haven't had leg dragging issues, although maybe I don't understand what you mean. Mine all deploy very quick.

The inside of the frame where the leg hinges. After use/abuse (had it happen to two of them) the Outside of the leg scrapes against the inside of the housing. I’ve sanded it down to smooth it out but it eventually keeps getting worse. I’ll take a picture of it when I get home. I’ve thrown one out and put the other on my .22 rifle.

As far as the Magpul goes...I’ve used it in Precision matches for about a year now. I don’t use the pan feature, and the legs can deploy at half inch intervals but the tilt feature saves you from that time consuming bit on the clock. If you’re hunting and have time...different story (used it for both).

It doesn’t make any noise (my harris squeaks like mad...kind of sucks at 5am in the woods) you can put Atlas feet on it if you need to upgrade, and it’ll take a solid beating. The only drawback is the legs not locking at 45 or other angles. Would be a simple upgrade to their current system. I was shooting 1000yds this past weekend with it and then stacking shots on 3” circles at 500yds. If its no good for shooting, I guess I’m not doing that kind of shooting.

https://i.imgur.com/N96D3X7.jpg

gatordev
8 September 2020, 09:11
The inside of the frame where the leg hinges. After use/abuse (had it happen to two of them) the Outside of the leg scrapes against the inside of the housing. I’ve sanded it down to smooth it out but it eventually keeps getting worse. I’ll take a picture of it when I get home. I’ve thrown one out and put the other on my .22 rifle.

Now you have me curious about mine. I'm out of town right now, so can't look, but none of my Harrisessess are stock, so portions of the body are missing. I don't know if enough is missing to prevent what you're describing, so I'll have to look when I get home.

Former11B
8 September 2020, 11:45
I’ll take a photo of the actual drag marks when I get to the bipod but it happens where the leg swings Open/Closed and contacts the housing here

https://i.imgur.com/qGzJbE8.jpg

One side is worse than the other. And I think this is actually the one I threw out it got so bad. I’ve got the shorter one on my .22 squirrel gun

Aragorn
9 September 2020, 15:02
Alright guys, thanks for all the thoughts and insight. I’m on the notification list a few places now for the KAC.

BoilerUp
9 September 2020, 20:50
What bipods can mount directly to an M-LOK or KeyMod handguard? Magpul mounts to M-LOK. Anything else? It's 2020, I shouldn't have to mount a pic rail or sling stud to a KeyMod or M-LOK handguard just to use a bipod.

alamo5000
9 September 2020, 21:21
What bipods can mount directly to an M-LOK or KeyMod handguard? Magpul mounts to M-LOK. Anything else? It's 2020, I shouldn't have to mount a pic rail or sling stud to a KeyMod or M-LOK handguard just to use a bipod.

Found this. Interesting.

That said I don't like having it 'permanently' attached. By permanent I mean needing tools to put it on or take it off. With a pic rail you just flip the switch and on or off she goes.

https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/accessories-official-manufacturer/274-bt70-atlas-m-lok-adaptor.html

BoilerUp
9 September 2020, 22:19
Found this. Interesting.

That said I don't like having it 'permanently' attached. By permanent I mean needing tools to put it on or take it off. With a pic rail you just flip the switch and on or off she goes.

https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/accessories-official-manufacturer/274-bt70-atlas-m-lok-adaptor.html

Yes, I thought of the QD capability after I posted. I don't see that adapter as having any advantage over a pic rail and I can't think of any good QD mounts for either KeyMod or M-LOK. I hate mounting M-LOK. And while mounting/removing a Harris is tool-less, it isn't exactly "quick".

SINNER
10 September 2020, 01:17
M-LOK and Keymod are just pic rail attachment options. Both suck for removable accessories.

Former11B
10 September 2020, 11:59
Kinetic Development Group makes a really slick quick disconnect option for Harris bipods to make it easy to transfer from rifle to rifle (or just taking it off for storage or whatever)

GatorDev, here’s the friction/contact mark the right bipod leg on my Harris. There’s significant resistance/dragging when deploying or folding the leg up

The left leg has some similar markings but it’s not as bad
https://i.imgur.com/BAN3FJ4.jpg

Of course my camera focused on the wrong spot [BD]

gatordev
10 September 2020, 15:52
Interesting. I'll have to look at mine when I get home.

I had a KDG bipod mount that I had planned to use on my Magpul Hunter stock. The KDG wasn't in spec. In all fairness, KDG acknowledged the issue and offered to refund me. Apparently Magpul changed the spec right before release, so KDG got caught short with pre-release production units they didn't know had the potential to be out of spec (doesn't happen on all MLOK, apparently). I'm assuming the issue has been fixed by now. I never bothered to return mine and just threw a pic rail on the stock and it worked fine.