PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Help

alamo5000
21 September 2020, 07:49
Is there anyone here that is versed in computers?

My laptop refuses to shut down.

I've tried every kind of tutorial online and I updated the BIOS from HP's website but still, when I click 'shut down' it goes right into re-start.

I'm just about ready to give this thing a beat down.

MoxyDave
21 September 2020, 11:16
try this:

open command prompt as Administrator:

- click on the start menu
- type in 'cmd'
- right-click on 'cmd' and select 'start as Administrator'

once the command window comes up, type in the following (minus the single quotes):

'shutdown -s -f -t 0'

alamo5000
21 September 2020, 11:41
try this:

open command prompt as Administrator:

- click on the start menu
- type in 'cmd'
- right-click on 'cmd' and select 'start as Administrator'

once the command window comes up, type in the following (minus the single quotes):

'shutdown -s -f -t 0'

Didn't fix the issue. It shuts down and immediately restarts again.

Joelski
21 September 2020, 14:50
Unplug and pull the battery. Once dead, it will dump the volatile memory in RAM, flush caches, and clear things that won't go away with a reboot.

Beyond that, Stay off those sites! You'll go blind!

[:D]

Stone
21 September 2020, 15:45
Joelski beat me to it...[pop] May be a virus... Eric the moderator is the local computer guru, send him a PM.

alamo5000
21 September 2020, 16:43
LOL

Battery is built in, but that said it was fully removed and replaced about a week ago with a brand new battery.

Both before and after it will restart rather than shut down.

Joelski
23 September 2020, 16:17
If the battery is built-in, it should make an excellent clay pidgeon substitute! Or it it's a MacBook, try pressing and holding the Power button and Wonder bar at the same time..

Edit: HP... Sounds like a Chromebook if the battery is non-removeable. I revert to the first part of my response. Not a fan of not being able to hard boot my HP lappy; it's happened a couple of times from a frozen display.