PDA

View Full Version : Pic request: AAC SPR/M4 on 12.5" barrel with DD 9.5 FSP

rob_s
12 May 2009, 03:39
I have a 12.5" barrel on the way and am considering suppressing it with the SPR/M4. What I'm unsure of is if the Daniel Defense 9.5 FSP rail will leave enough clear barrel for the silencer and mount.

If I have my math correct, the rail should extend 3" past the back of the gas block (the 9.5 is actually almost identical in length to the 10.0). It seems to me that this should work, but I'm not positive.

Stickman
29 May 2009, 07:23
I've got two 12.5" upper carbines sitting here, and neither of them are DD 9.5s. If you go with that configuration, I would be interested in seeing how it turns out.

rob_s
29 May 2009, 15:37
think this may be headed a different route, and I'm not sure if it will be the can OR the rail mentioned. May wind up with a proprietary rail and an M4-2K.

Army Chief
30 May 2009, 00:41
Not exactly comparing apples to apples here, but Todd just confirmed for me that a Noveske CQB VIS 10.5" Switchblock upper doesn't provide enough clearance for the SPR/M4 mount. (I had presumed as much, but had no real way to gauge this.)

I've been trying to come up with the optimal SBR configuration that still allows me to use a Switchblock AND an SPR/M4 mount, but it would seem that the 12.5" is really the only option here. Not sure how the VIS 9" and DD 9.5" rail might differ dimensionally in terms of length, but as I said, this is an apples and oranges comparison to begin with. (Disregard the dangling preposition. LOL)

AC

Stickman
30 May 2009, 09:19
think this may be headed a different route, and I'm not sure if it will be the can OR the rail mentioned. May wind up with a proprietary rail and an M4-2K.

Did you get ahold of a GL/SSC rail? That would certainly work with the M4-2K.

rob_s
31 May 2009, 06:35
Did you get ahold of a GL/SSC rail? That would certainly work with the M4-2K.

No, most likely going with the new Noveske rail for this purpose. It's designed to work with the Switchblock and the SPR/M4 on a 12.5" barrel.

Although that DD one seems interesting. I assume it's meant for a 12.5" barrel and something like an M4-2K?

Stickman
31 May 2009, 09:07
No, most likely going with the new Noveske rail for this purpose. It's designed to work with the Switchblock and the SPR/M4 on a 12.5" barrel.

Although that DD one seems interesting. I assume it's meant for a 12.5" barrel and something like an M4-2K?

Yes, thats is what the GL/SSC was designed for.

I haven't seen the new Noveske rail yet, any pics?

rob_s
31 May 2009, 09:20
Yes, thats is what the GL/SSC was designed for.

I haven't seen the new Noveske rail yet, any pics?

I think it's kind of super-secret. All I've seen so far are CAD drawings as it's not produced yet that I know of.

Mr.Goodtimes
10 August 2011, 09:28
Huge necro post I know but I thought that I would let any body who might be interested know that I have decided for sure on running this set up for my first SBR. Project should be complete in the next six months if everything goes as planned. I'm hoping that maybe AAC will release a breakout version of the MITER mount and BCM will give us lightweight 12.5in barrels.

I chose to go with this setup for several reasons. First off, I'm cannibalizing my only rifle (a BCM 16in midlength) to build my first SBR so this will be my only rifle for some time. I wanted the 12.5in barrel length as it still offers an effective range well beyond 200m but will be short enough to maintain maneuverability (both suppressed and unsupressed). The 12.5in barrel and SPR M4 combination give me an overall length just a bit shorter than my 16in midlength with a surefire MB556K muzzle break. The 12.5in barrel will be easier on the can as well as very quiet. Overall I'm very excited to put the rifle together.

Rifle will be a BCM 12.5 with VLTOR E-MOD and A5 system, Larue FUG, DD MK18 RIS, Gieselle 2 stage, T1, Troy BUIS, Surefire X300 and AAC SPR M4. All in all I think I may have found the best all around SBR.

johnson
13 August 2011, 22:13
Mr.Goodtimes, I'm building a similar setup you described less Geissele trigger. Wish the SPR/M4 wasn't so expensive (or that I had more disposable income) or else the SPR/M4 would be in the works instead of the 22Sparrow suppressor I bought a few weeks ago. I still need an Aimpoint Micro but an M2 is working fine for now. Shoots GREAT with the Vltor A5 w/ modified buffer (4.5oz). Have fun with your build, I know I did.

12.5" Centurion Arms barrel w/ DD MK18 RIS II FSP
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/johnson_n/IMG_1815-1.jpg

Stickman
15 August 2011, 00:05
I spent the other day shooting a couple Noveske 12.5" switchblock weapons with the AAC SPR/ M4 cans.

Nice setups, but I'm still interested in seeing that setup with the fixed FSB.

johnson
15 August 2011, 18:30
I spent the other day shooting a couple Noveske 12.5" switchblock weapons with the AAC SPR/ M4 cans.

Nice setups, but I'm still interested in seeing that setup with the fixed FSB.

Fixed FSB with switchblock? Or are you talking about the setup in the thread title.

Mr.Goodtimes
15 August 2011, 20:31
Stick, If you get the opportunity to take any pictures of a 12.5in barrel w/ SPR M4 and MK18 RIS II I'd love to see them to get an idea of what my rifle will look like when it's pieced together.

johnson
15 August 2011, 20:41
Check this thread. The SWS rail should be the same length as the MK18 RIS II.

http://www.silencertests.com/silencer-forum/viewtopic.php?p=450011

Mr.Goodtimes
16 August 2011, 08:00
johnson, thanks a lot for finding that. Thats close enough to being exactly what I wanted to see to give me a good idea. That gun looks sick with the SPR but more importantly, I'm sure it performs even better than it looks. I'm really excited about this project. I think a 12.5in barrel with 9.5 rail, SPR and either a TA33, 1-4 Variable or T1 is an awesome general purpose weapon.