PDA

View Full Version : My RRA is finally finished

travclem
13 May 2009, 09:54
Finally after 6 months of waiting She's done. Sorry for the Cell phone pics.
-AAC Blackout FH (coming Monday)
-RRA Lower, LPK, NM trigger
-RRA lightweight 1:7 Chrome lined barrel
-RRA Forgerd upper and BCG
-YHM Railed Gas block
-GG&G front and rear BUIS
-Daniel Defense Omega 7.0
-Insight Procyon XTI
-Tango Down VFG
-Daniel Defense QD sling swivel
-Eotech 512.a65 rev. f
-Magpul ASAP
-Magpul MS2
-Magpul CTR Commercial
-Ergo Suregrip
-Pmags

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm252/travclem/DSC00541.jpg

and for all the RRA staking Naysayers:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm252/travclem/DSC00553.jpg

Stickman
13 May 2009, 16:59
Looks like a pretty good layout, what are you going with for the sling?

Lex Talionis
13 May 2009, 19:59
nice.. looks a lot like mine. I am a huge fan of RRA and also have an upper, LPK, 2 stage trigger, trigger guard, stock, etc..

BTW, how can you have GG&G front and rear BUIS when you have a YHM Railed Gas block front flip up sight? :P

also, on your YHM Railed Gas block front sight, there is that gap between the forend and the gas block where you can see the tube... why? a standard front A2 sight would be flush, no? so why is the YHM no flush?

Hozen
14 May 2009, 12:33
nice.. looks a lot like mine. I am a huge fan of RRA and also have an upper, LPK, 2 stage trigger, trigger guard, stock, etc..

BTW, how can you have GG&G front and rear BUIS when you have a YHM Railed Gas block front flip up sight? :P

also, on your YHM Railed Gas block front sight, there is that gap between the forend and the gas block where you can see the tube... why? a standard front A2 sight would be flush, no? so why is the YHM no flush?

He has the omega FF fore end. Its made to use with the M4 handguard end cap still on the weapon. He's obviously taken his off and, thus, you see the gap. From what I see, everything looks to be in order.

travclem
14 May 2009, 13:12
He has the omega FF fore end. Its made to use with the M4 handguard end cap still on the weapon. He's obviously taken his off and, thus, you see the gap. From what I see, everything looks to be in order.

Correct

travclem
14 May 2009, 13:12
Looks like a pretty good layout, what are you going with for the sling?

I have a Magpul MS2

travclem
14 May 2009, 13:14

It is a GG&G flip up sight on a YHM railed Gas block, they are two seperate pieces.

Lex Talionis
15 May 2009, 21:01
It is a GG&G flip up sight on a YHM railed Gas block, they are two seperate pieces.

your correct.. on quick hasty glance, I thought that was a YHM 9395 style flip up front block/sight. my bad.

travclem
16 May 2009, 12:53
your correct.. on quick hasty glance, I thought that was a YHM 9395 style flip up front block/sight. my bad.

it's cool[:D]

NickDrak
17 May 2009, 06:57
I would suggest dumping the YHM clamp-on railed gasblock. Those things love to come loose, regardless of how much loctite you use on them.

Personally, I wouldnt feel comfortable using any clamp-on/bolt-on FSB or gas block unless it was also secured by taper pins. Unfortunately no-one has stepped up to the plate yet and offered a mass produced taper pin folding front site/FSB combo. Vltor released a brochure that listed their VST with a pinned-on version, but nothing has be released by them yet. That would be the ticket for those looking for a folding FSB combo for serious HD use.

travclem
17 May 2009, 11:17
I would suggest dumping the YHM clamp-on railed gasblock. Those things love to come loose, regardless of how much loctite you use on them.

Personally, I wouldnt feel comfortable using any clamp-on/bolt-on FSB or gas block unless it was also secured by taper pins. Unfortunately no-one has stepped up to the plate yet and offered a mass produced taper pin folding front site/FSB combo. Vltor released a brochure that listed their VST with a pinned-on version, but nothing has be released by them yet. That would be the ticket for those looking for a folding FSB combo for serious HD use. What would you suggest for a railed GB then? I hate the Stock fsb and I dont want the sight on the handguard.

federalist22
17 May 2009, 11:35
3 of 4 of my ARs have railed gas blocks and I have had no issues with my front sites coming loose after applying loctite--it may be a personal experience thing based on usage. I do know that if you fail to loctite them it takes then very little time to come loose--even the rear sight will. I have YHM flip-ups, but I am waiting for my Magpul MBUS sites...

My Rock River Tactical CAR A4 has a YHM gas-block w/ integrated flip front sight, so no problems there.

rob_s
17 May 2009, 13:59
Why don't you like the stock FSB? It's the most robust, best affixed, and least expensive option.

Lex Talionis
17 May 2009, 15:53
Why don't you like the stock FSB? It's the most robust, best affixed, and least expensive option.

your surely right all things considered.. but for me, it never gets used given I use optics.. so it is nice to just want to get it out of the way. Plus as a side benefit, the YHM I seek is the model that has the lower rail, so you could get dual use and a place for a light, laser, bipod. etc. I know you can get rail clamps that attach to the standard A2 front sight to achieve something similar, but I like the idea of just folding it down since it is hardly ever used. That is the real draw.

BTW, this thread is the first I have read of worrying about the YHM clamp coming loose. YHM install instructions mention nothing about loc-tie being needed, not that it would hurt mind you. plus, there are several colors of loc-tite if you were that worried. when/if I can get my hands on the one I want, I plan to install it right up.

rob_s
17 May 2009, 15:59
Locktite, regardless of almost any type used, breaks down under heat. Ever touch a gas block or front sight base after a magazine or two?

Lex Talionis
17 May 2009, 16:01
Unfortunately no-one has stepped up to the plate yet and offered a mass produced taper pin folding front site/FSB combo.

check this out.. GG&G has one

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=39&parents=

Lex Talionis
17 May 2009, 16:05
Locktite, regardless of almost any type used, breaks down under heat. Ever touch a gas block or front sight base after a magazine or two?

sure.. sure... but there is a caveat to about anything really. IF I really had to flip up a hot front sight there is likely a really good reason, and I doubt the pain from doing so will be my biggest concern.

rob_s
17 May 2009, 18:21
I had a flipup FSB from GG&G that was pinned in place on my first AR sometime around Y2K. I sent them my upper and they pinned it in place.

My concern for the heat of an FSB that heats up isn't touching it, it's that the Locktite you put on it to secure it will break down under the heat of firing the gun.

You can lead a horse...

Lex Talionis
17 May 2009, 19:02
yes, I understood that part of your comment no doubt & I got your implications.

personally, not worried at all. I will try it and see.

FWIW, check out locktite #272, 266, - high strength and high temp, up to 450 degrees. not so much about how much you use, but what you use.

scumhunter
17 May 2009, 23:17
Well done. My RRA staking isn't as good as yours but to date I have had no problem. I'd like to get it redone when the opportunity allows but I just checked it the other day and it looks good.
Now that your gun is all built up I would suggest a new bedspread. Leopard print is so last week.

travclem
19 May 2009, 19:36

I dont like it in my eotech picture. Personal preference, thats all.

travclem
19 May 2009, 19:37
Well done. My RRA staking isn't as good as yours but to date I have had no problem. I'd like to get it redone when the opportunity allows but I just checked it the other day and it looks good.
Now that your gun is all built up I would suggest a new bedspread. Leopard print is so last week.

Haha thats actually my dogs bed[:D]

NickDrak
12 July 2009, 15:18
What would you suggest for a railed GB then? I hate the Stock fsb and I dont want the sight on the handguard.

Sorry for not following up to your question....

The reason I am against the two piece clamp-on, folding front sight from YHM is because of how it is designed. The bottom clamp is being stressed from both sides by the cross bolts, and I believe this is where the habitual loosening is caused.

The only clamp-on style folding FSB's that I have never seen fail during classes are the Vltor VST-1C and the PRI. My preference would be for the Vltor since the cross bolts can be staked as well.

Mr.Goodtimes
12 July 2009, 16:20
i second that i would get rid of the YHM gas block. I had their flip up version and it came loose in under 500rds. It was loctited.