PDA

View Full Version : My first AR build thread

Audiophiliac
14 May 2009, 18:35
Well the thing is starting to come together. I got the lower done except for the E-Mod which is on its way. Went much easier than I expected. One tiny boo boo with the punch when putting in the bolt release roll pin but its not like its going to stay flawless for long anyway right? :)

Here are a couple pics so far. I will make sure to update as I progress. Not sure what to do for an upper yet. Either Recce or SBR....the new 7" from Addax is looking pretty slick. But I do not look forward to the paperwork and waiting. But I figure I better do it now if I am going to do it at all, right? :)

Comments welcome. And big thanks to the guys at Rainier! They have been AWESOME!!!

http://phoenixphorum.com/files/dsc02026_142_529.jpg

http://phoenixphorum.com/files/dsc02024_150_194.jpg

http://phoenixphorum.com/files/dsc02031_143_661.jpg

John Hwang
16 May 2009, 09:40
Typically, if I build an SPR type accurate rifle, I go with a high quality match trigger. If I go with a carbine or SBR, I like a nice crisp single stage trigger. The 2 things to match up are barrel & trigger. For example, no need to go with a Geissele match trigger if you are going with an 7" upper IMO. Good luck with your build. It looks good so far.

Audiophiliac
16 May 2009, 10:05
Thanks John. I am going to use the std. stigger to start off just so I have something to compare too when I upgrade.

I am liking the build so far. The only issue I have found is the mating of the grip to the integrated trigger guard on the receiver. As you can see, the front of the grip does not extend to the bottom of the trigger guard...so my middle finger tends to rest right on that corner. Not sure if this is due to the shape of the grip, or the dimensions of the trigger guard. Maybe a MOE or MIAD would work better?

Stickman
16 May 2009, 11:25
Thanks John. I am going to use the std. stigger to start off just so I have something to compare too when I upgrade.

I am liking the build so far. The only issue I have found is the mating of the grip to the integrated trigger guard on the receiver. As you can see, the front of the grip does not extend to the bottom of the trigger guard...so my middle finger tends to rest right on that corner. Not sure if this is due to the shape of the grip, or the dimensions of the trigger guard. Maybe a MOE or MIAD would work better?

You might want to resize the images. At 2048px × 1536px, they are too large to fit on monitors, and you end up with people only able to see parts of the picture, and not being able to read the text without having to scroll back and forth.

As far as the pistol grip, if its only a minor cosmetic issue, I wouldn't change it out. If your finger grates against it, it is something that will only end up causing long term aggravation, so you may as well change it out. I just grabbed my TI lower with the MOE grip, and it mates up a little better (no ridge).

Audiophiliac
17 May 2009, 00:19
Yeah Stick, it really is uncomfortable and I do not see how I can get away from it without a different grip. I will try the MIAD and see how it goes. Oh and I resized the pics for everyone. :)