PDA

View Full Version : Mega MATEN Rear Takedown Pin woes

gatordev
22 January 2021, 18:55
Does anyone know the dimensions of the set screw that holds the pin and spring in that captures the rear take down pin on the MATEN?

I managed to lose mine in the abyss of my garage when trying to remove my take down pin. It appears people do mods to regular AR-15 rear take down pin retainers with 4-40 1/8" set screws, but wasn't sure if that's what Mega used. I'm going to see if Tru-Valu has some set screws, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Former11B
23 January 2021, 05:57
4-40 is what Aero uses on their enhanced sets also.

Joelski
23 January 2021, 06:15
Does anyone know the dimensions of the set screw that holds the pin and spring in that captures the rear take down pin on the MATEN?

I managed to lose mine in the abyss of my garage when trying to remove my take down pin. It appears people do mods to regular AR-15 rear take down pin retainers with 4-40 1/8" set screws, but wasn't sure if that's what Mega used. I'm going to see if Tru-Valu has some set screws, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Another possibility is to see if there’s a local Fastenal. They sell mainly hardware stuff like that. Or go to fastenal.com

For example, a zinc 3/8” 4-40 is 13 cents, SKU 0141506

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Former11B
23 January 2021, 07:18
I’d find a steel one if it were me

Like this
https://ar15discounts.com/products/4-40-set-screw-for-rear-takedown-detent-spring-1-8-long-ss/

Joelski
23 January 2021, 07:27
Well fuck, there ya go. But if you look, there are about 40varieties of 4-40 screw available. I’d rather spend $1.20 and get ten screws as a hedge against the next time one launches into small part oblivion.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/73207

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Calico Jack
23 January 2021, 12:40
The proper term is cup screw. Its the same style of screw used on gas blocks just different size. Some may call them grub screws.

gatordev
23 January 2021, 12:56
Went to Ace today and managed to find a 4-40 "gun screw" so I could thread the hole (giggity). It fit, so that confirms the size/pitch. I ended up grabbing a 10 pack on Amazon, so we'll see how they play out. If they don't work, then Fastenal or AR15Discounts will be next up.

Thanks all. I can update this when I get the screws. I'm not even sure who you call to try and get factory parts, at this point. Zev, I guess?

UWone77
23 January 2021, 17:28
Went to Ace today and managed to find a 4-40 "gun screw" so I could thread the hole (giggity). It fit, so that confirms the size/pitch. I ended up grabbing a 10 pack on Amazon, so we'll see how they play out. If they don't work, then Fastenal or AR15Discounts will be next up.

Thanks all. I can update this when I get the screws. I'm not even sure who you call to try and get factory parts, at this point. Zev, I guess?

ZEV is still continuing Mega Arms production, including the MATEN, I'm sure they would assist you with any questions.

gatordev
22 February 2021, 13:45
Forgot to update this. The cup screws I bought off Amazon worked. I went with these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MBLJ9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).