PDA

View Full Version : It Begins Again / AR Build Advice

Titleist
17 May 2009, 13:51
I think I'm just bored waiting for ATF NFA paperwork to clear on an SBR, but I'm looking to build a second 16" setup.

Really the issue isn't budget, it's what base gun I want to start on. My current AR is a LMT Piston MRP gun. I love it, but I'm not limited to piston guns.

So far I've been kicking around a few ideas:
-Daniel Defense DDM4
-LWRC M6A3
-Colt 6920

Most likely furniture will be Magpul based, scope will be an Aimpoint T-1/Larue, etc.

It's just finding a good counterpart to the LMT Piston MRP. But I'm open to mid-length setups as well. Sorry for the general advice question, but I'm just trying to narrow this down a bit further.

rob_s
17 May 2009, 14:01
Bravo Company USA midlength upper on the complete quality lower of your choosing. LMT is good, and this summer BCM is supposed to be coming out with their own complete lowers to boot.

Titleist
17 May 2009, 14:13
Aren't the BC mid-length uppers absolutely a nightmare to find in stock anywhere?

Either way, if I can find one I'd love to go with one of those, again pending availability.

Stickman
17 May 2009, 15:12
If you aren't in a hurry, and are willing to buy the upper and lower separate,you might take a look at one of the Noveske N4 midlength uppers, then pair it up with whatever lower you like.

Getting the upper and lower built up the way you like should save you a little.

Titleist
17 May 2009, 15:19
I'm not at all opposed to snagging a lower and upper separately. Where's the best place to start looking for a N4 midlength?

adrenaline151
17 May 2009, 15:52
If you're not in a huge rush, just keep checking Noveske's site, they seem to be having more and more, lately. Rainier might get one, Scottsdale has some now and then, and then there's always gunbroker. I like Noveske stuff, but you really can't go wrong with the DDM4. Rainier has them. For a few bucks you can get a Magpul MIAD or MOE, and if you don't like the FSB, a flip up gas block would be sweet. Rainier had an upper on another site that was an Omega X rail, 12.5 barrel, and a flip up FSB that was SWEET. http://www.album.weaponevolution.com/WOA12.5UPPER/A.jpg

Titleist
17 May 2009, 17:52
Well I was actually out at the range right after I posted this question and I'm actually thinking more and more about the DDM4.

Keeping it fairly simple with that ARMS flip up gas block, rear MBUS, magpul furniture, and probably swap out the sling plate for an ASAP.

On that train, run either a surefire scout at the 9 o'clock position, or an X300 on the 12 o'clock position in front of the FSB. And an aimpoint T-1, call it done.

rob_s
17 May 2009, 18:23
Aren't the BC mid-length uppers absolutely a nightmare to find in stock anywhere?

Get on the email notification on BCM's site, have the notifications sent to your phone, and jump on it when it's available.

adrenaline151
17 May 2009, 19:11
I'm running a G2 in a VTAC mount, right around 10 o'clock, VTAC mount on the 9 o'clock rail, sets the light right in beside the FSB, and flush with the end of the rail. Good position for my thumb to reach the tailcap. There's a pic of it somewhere here, maybe in the "explain your setup" page. I'm using irons, but if I were going to be using an optic full time I might opt for the flip up FSB.

Titleist
20 May 2009, 15:51
Uh...just a minor update. I ended up snagging an insanely great deal on a gun that wasn't in my list earlier.

Knights Armament SR-15 E3 IWS. [BD]

Pics next week. Thank you guys for all the advice though.