PDA

View Full Version : SOG Armory AR-15

alt154shiver
18 May 2009, 15:29
Has anyone had a close look at these ARs? I saw one at a gun store the other day, and I'm wondering what the word on the street is regarding them.

I'm torn between finding myself a really nice off the shelf AR or building one for my first black rifle.

Any opinions on the SOG Armory rifles, or recommendations for off the shelf ARs would be greatly appreciated.

-alt

Eric
18 May 2009, 16:26
With the number of manufacturers/assemblers jumping on the AR bandwagon, it's hard to keep up with what is out there. I'm not familiar with their product, but $1,349 for the basic M4 style AR is a bit on the steep side for what they list.

bigcoastie
18 May 2009, 18:49
1:9 twist chrome moly barrel. To be honest it's nothing above a RRA STAG Bushmaster. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with RRA, Stag or Bushmaster but for the price it's not worth it.

You'd be paying LMT, Noveske, Colt price for something that should be in the 900-1000$ mark. I also frequent SOG armory since it's around 20 minutes from my house and have seen their rifles in person.

alt154shiver
18 May 2009, 22:04
Thanks for the quick responses. I just re-visited the store and the SOG was gone, so it seems that is wasn't too steep for someone. Probably sold at the gun show the other day.

So new question, LWRC M6A2, opinions? I have a hold on one until tomorrow at 6pm. Specs are:

5.56mm chamber
16.1" bbl
Quad rail handguard
Flat top receiver
Magpull MIAD grip
Vltor stock
Troy buis
Nicle plated bcg

$2329.00

Thoughts?

bigcoastie
20 May 2009, 07:20
What would you say your plans are for the rifles use? For a first rifle I think 99% of people are better off with a DI rifle that has a few nice features. I am a big fan of starting with a Colt 6920, LMT Standard Defender, Noveske N4 Light Basic Carbine or Recce and then adding a quad rail if you find the need. You're looking at a price point of 1200-1500.00 depending on what you get with the extra money you can roll with a nice Aimpoint T-1 or M4 or even get a decent 1-4. If you want to run something that is more precision, or spr based piston is definately not what I'd be looking at either. If possible any and all info that you can provide can help everyone steer you in a good direction.

alt154shiver
20 May 2009, 16:30
Well, I bought it. I had the money, I liked the feel. Good trigger pull, the nickle/teflon lined BCG felt good. Having a MIAD grip and Vltor EMOD stock helped a bit also. I wouldn't say that this is my first rifle. For my first I would have to give credit to the Navy for equipping me with an A3 service rifle for several years. I am familiar with the DI system, the maintenance regime that it requires, and the various other pros and cons of the system. The gas-piston caught my eye as an interesting change of pace, and after a few hours of searching I was having trouble finding issues with LWRCs system.

For this rifle, I was looking for something in carbine length that could provide an acceptable* level of accuracy while maintaining the ability to shoot to around 600 meters. A carbine that will perform well in a CQB situation while maintaining the ability to transition to medium range engagements.

* - we all know that "acceptable" is a very subjective word to use when applied to weapons. What is acceptable to one may not be acceptable to another. For this application, acceptable translates to: on par with a standard M16 service rifle.

Now, many a rifle could fill the role for which I selected the LWRC. Many could have done it for much less. I could have built one for much less, but I liked it. As for having enough to put a decent optic on top... well... I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

What will this rifle really be used for? Probably shooting at targets, and attending the occasional class at ThunderRanch if I can ever make my schedule work with it; and in a worst case scenario, I will employ it along with whatever other necessary force is needed to defend myself or my loved ones.

http://gallery.me.com/jallegri/100195/IMG_8795/web.jpg?ver=12428482040001

http://gallery.me.com/jallegri/100195/IMG_8799/web.jpg?ver=12428482120001

http://gallery.me.com/jallegri/100195/IMG_8797/web.jpg?ver=12428482080001

Adding a surefire light tonight, as well as sling points. Going to have to order a quick adjust 2-point online, so until then a Tactical Taylor 3 point will have to do.

durangojim
21 May 2009, 10:12
Congrats on the new rifle. LWRC makes great stuff. I've got a M6A2 with the 14.7' bbl and PA flash suppressor. I've only put about 500 rds through it, but haven't had a problem. My first black rifle was an LMT standard defender that I bought new last fall, it too is great. I bought the LWRC more on an impulse because I liked the MRE color that I could get and the fact that I live in a no SBR state, but it seems to be every bit as good and accurate as my LMT. I'm not an "operator" so I can't comment on certain things but I'm very satisfied. Check out the LWRC forums at the official LWRC site, some good folks over there.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9nvU2Y3qayY/SfuUJKMsL3I/AAAAAAAAIlI/g1mbFhS_Rsk/s800/lwrc4.jpg

Stickman
21 May 2009, 16:21
I would certainly take the LWRC over the SOG AR15. Looks like you did good on that purchase.

alt154shiver
22 May 2009, 11:28
Thanks for the feedback Stick. I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd pick some brains regarding the purchase beforehand. Unfortunately I could only get a 24-hour hold on the rifle and ended up buying it before anyone here or over at SGW could give me a heads up. I'm just glad that it turned out to be a good purchase and not an overpriced gimmick rifle, but it did have a good rep across other forums that I googled so I had faith.

I'll give a write up on how she shoots as soon as I can drive up to Tacoma to pick up some M855.

WGG
30 May 2009, 06:27
Good decision. IMHO the LWRC is a much better gun than the SOG Armory. I have handled SOG guns several times at their store and at the Houston area gun shows. I am not sure who makes their ARs but I would say the quality is not on a par with the top tier manufacturers.
They also sell other makers guns and lots of AR related supplies but are always overpriced.

http://www.sogarmory.com/Default.aspx