PDA

View Full Version : 12.5 talk

mustangfreek
3 November 2021, 09:31
Ok. I’m at a mental crossroad.lol
I Have thought about a 11.5 vs 12.5 for a while now.

Pretty dead set on a 12.5 (556). I don’t want stainless this time around, want a CL/hammer forged deal

Now stuck on who from and carbine or mid length gas
Rather not run a adj block on this if I don’t have to, but I use pmc to hot 556

I know some here use this length. Looking for some first hand info on how it is in terms of a reliable/soft shooter etc.. xx

Looking at

Triarc (middy -in stock)
Centurion (carbine -in stock)
Criterion (Carbine-in stock)
BRT (exc or whatever gas system, in between carbine and middy)

Stuck, will be just an upper for now and will have a Yhm T2 on it all the time.

gatordev
3 November 2021, 11:21
If Centurion has them in stock, I'd roll with that all day long. Then I'd also look at VSeven. My Centurion CL 12.5" continues to cure cancer after 6800 rounds, much of which was PMC XTAC.

Uffdaphil
3 November 2021, 13:15
I’ll second the Centurion. My 10.3” cycles canned or not without an AGB. So does my 12.5” Hodge. A BRT EZtune gas tube would be a cheap fix if needed. With an A5 buffer system felt recoil is not bad with either. I don’t shoot underpowered ammo so can’t speak to that. Wolf Gold .223 is gtg.

mustangfreek
5 November 2021, 01:28
Cool. No centurions in stock at the moment

Gator-this the same barrel?
https://centurionarms.com/lightweight-hammer-forged-barrel-carbine/

Cause I’m curious, know the gas port size of your centurion?

Only one I’m seeing in stock I’m considering is the Triarc 12.5” in the mid length..which is another part to to it

C or m?

mustangfreek
7 November 2021, 00:08
Got a line on a new criterion 12.5

Anyone got anything to say about them? Contacted them about their gas port size, but like a few others.They won’t tell you..how dumb..

gatordev
7 November 2021, 07:27
Cool. No centurions in stock at the moment

Gator-this the same barrel?
https://centurionarms.com/lightweight-hammer-forged-barrel-carbine/

Cause I’m curious, know the gas port size of your centurion?

Only one I’m seeing in stock I’m considering is the Triarc 12.5” in the mid length..which is another part to to it

C or m?

Mine was a carbine m4 profile. I'm not sure if that's now considered "light weight" or not. It looks like it's the same profile. I never measured the gas port on that barrel.

Former11B
10 November 2021, 07:43
Got a line on a new criterion 12.5

Anyone got anything to say about them? Contacted them about their gas port size, but like a few others.They won’t tell you..how dumb..

Yeah I don’t understand this. It can only HELP the customer and if they don’t answer I generally cross them off the list if I can’t find it easily. Rosco is another one that won’t, but a retailer near me has a bunch of their barrels in stock. Tempted to take some pin gauges in there and go to town lol

I saw on a list that Centurion 12.5” carbine port size is .064”

mustangfreek
10 November 2021, 08:30
Right.. I never heard back from triarc and criterion themselves. But found a core 12.5 in stock from a small online shop and emailed and asked him nicely to measure the port.

Man, with that size port on tat centurion, if true. Would be a soft shooter.

Other side of it, not a lot of 11.5” rail options

gatordev
10 November 2021, 13:08
I saw on a list that Centurion 12.5” carbine port size is .064”

I wish I had measured mine. I remembered right after I put on the URX 3.1 rail, so I wasn't going to take it back off again. I'm guessing that size is probably in the ball park*. With full power ammo, it doesn't shoot as soft as the V-Seven with a .0625, but it's close. And given my Centurion runs a Spikes T2 and can shoot unsurppressed and the VSeven needs a H buffer to shoot unsuppressed, that all makes sense. Both have Colt action springs.

*Keep in mind my barrel is from 2013, so processes may have changed.

mustangfreek
12 November 2021, 07:16
Well criterion deal fell thru, another oos even though it let me. CHeck out..

Hollar if you see something good in stock

BoilerUp
12 November 2021, 09:54
I know this isn't a "top tier" brand name, but Harrison from AR15 Performance has a bit of cult following for producing excellent barrels at a very low price. I have one of his 16" 6.8 SPC barrels that I've been very please with (~1MOA w/ factory Gold Dot). I think a few other WEVO members can vouch for his product, too.

https://www.ar15performance.com/product

He has 12.5 5.56 in stock

Uffdaphil
12 November 2021, 11:35
I have a 12.5” ARP 6.8 SPC barrel that I consider top tier for a niche round. It would surprise me if the 5.56 version was not as good.

mustangfreek
12 November 2021, 21:51
Ya no..I didn’t say him for a reason..I had a grendel barrel of his that had chamber problems , contacted him and he literally ripped into me for buying his barrel without checking it..lol..huge gas port…sold that shit and never going back.

On email notifications for a bunch…guess I just sit back and wait..

BoilerUp
13 November 2021, 08:06
Ya no..I didn’t say him for a reason..I had a grendel barrel of his that had chamber problems , contacted him and he literally ripped into me for buying his barrel without checking it..lol..huge gas port…sold that shit and never going back.

On email notifications for a bunch…guess I just sit back and wait..

Ah, sorry to hear that.

And I missed that you are focused on a CHF/CL barrel, so that wouldn't have fit the ticket anyway. I'd add BCM to the list but of course they're OOS, too.

That said, A BA nitride barrel will almost certainly do anything you need it to do and save you some bones: https://www.rainierarms.com/ballistic-advantage-modern-series-5-56-government-barrel-12-5/

I love my 11.5" BA build

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-CDKXXKv/0/ee66a556/X2/i-CDKXXKv-X2.jpg

Aragorn
13 November 2021, 11:20
BRT has 12.5’s on preorder. CHF.

http://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-12-5-OPTIMUM-Hammer-Forged-Chrome-Lined-Barrel-p258933205

Stone
13 November 2021, 20:19
WO has BA's 12.3 barrel with his gas block as well for $210.00 I put his 14.7" on my first build (the wifes now) many moons ago, very accurate, nice finish with a NB barrel extension. https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ballistic-advantage-5-56-performance-series-barrels-w-hanson-profile.html

I use his gas blocks on all my builds since I have BRD engineering's pinning and dimple jig. I can pin and dimple the gas block for you if you want, just cover shipping both ways...

PA has the Triarc barrel in stock. Heard good things bout them it has a Mid-length gas system so it should be a smooth shooter... I may grab one for my next build.

https://www.primaryarms.com/triarc-systems-track-2.0-556-mid-length-barrel-12.5in?quantity=10&custcol_pco=Orphan

Stone
13 November 2021, 20:31
Off topic, does anybody remember a place called Rogue Tactical?? I think that was the name, he used to have an impressive line up of AR barrels. I cant seem to find the website. Not sure if I got the name wrong or they are out of buisness...

mustangfreek
14 November 2021, 03:49
Off topic, does anybody remember a place called Rogue Tactical?? I think that was the name, he used to have an impressive line up of AR barrels. I cant seem to find the website. Not sure if I got the name wrong or they are out of buisness...

Rogtac
Haven’t seen him on the forums for a while..not sure what happened

https://www.rogtac.com/

mustangfreek
14 November 2021, 03:54
Boiler- nicely equipped yet simple build. I like it. Probably balances well. That BA barrel looks a good option, and in stock.

Stone-Thanks for the heads up and offer. I’ll keep it in mind.
Ya, that Triarc /12.5/middy has me intrigued and in stock also.

BRT has 12.5’s on preorder. CHF.

http://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-12-5-OPTIMUM-Hammer-Forged-Chrome-Lined-Barrel-p258933205

Ya, I keep coming back to it. Interesting gas length. In between carbine and mid length.

Stone
14 November 2021, 08:29
Rogtac
Haven’t seen him on the forums for a while..not sure what happened

https://www.rogtac.com/

Thats the one!! No wonder I couldnt find it, its Rush Outdoor Group (ROG) not Rogue... cool, thanks!

Stone
15 November 2021, 18:00
Bought the 12.5" Triarc barrel and a V7 complete upper with an inconnel gas tube. Went with the BRT comp as it works excellent on my 10.5" SBR. I have been planning this build ever since I SBR'd a second lower when the trust laws were changing. Your thread and Aragorns pushed me over the edge to get this upper done. Probably will go with the Zev wedgelock 12.5" rail as the Megas were my favorite and they are the same rail with a different name. Been wanting to do the mystic black BCG so I will grab Cryptics Bcg. Im gonna shoot the ever lovin dog shite out of this rifle so hopefully the heavy duty parts will take my abuse...

mustangfreek
16 November 2021, 23:57
Nice

I’m waiting it out to see if anything pops up next week and still unsure , and what rail to go with also

UWone77
17 November 2021, 00:05
Ah, sorry to hear that.

And I missed that you are focused on a CHF/CL barrel, so that wouldn't have fit the ticket anyway. I'd add BCM to the list but of course they're OOS, too.

That said, A BA nitride barrel will almost certainly do anything you need it to do and save you some bones: https://www.rainierarms.com/ballistic-advantage-modern-series-5-56-government-barrel-12-5/

I love my 11.5" BA build

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-CDKXXKv/0/ee66a556/X2/i-CDKXXKv-X2.jpg

I'd go BA as well.

They just had a 25% off sale for Veterans Day, so I'm assuming the Black Friday Sale will be even better. Worth waiting and checking it out.

mustangfreek
19 November 2021, 23:17
Nothing against BA, but there ok barrels. Had a half dozen, bottom end barrels suck imo
Hansons are ok, have 2 here and one is a constant rust pit party and shoots ok.

Just scooped up a 12.5” Criterion hybrid

Now to decide on what rail, 11.5” Is ideal for maximum rail space, but a lot more options in the 10.5” range

Suggestions?

SINNER
20 November 2021, 04:34
I find it hard to believe anyone would recommend BA. From my experiences they are low end trash. Out of spec chambers, gas ports drilled through lands, and pinned gas blocks that move 1/8" with the pin in place are just a few issues I e personally dealt with.

BoilerUp
20 November 2021, 07:09
I find it hard to believe anyone would recommend BA. From my experiences they are low end trash. Out of spec chambers, gas ports drilled through lands, and pinned gas blocks that move 1/8" with the pin in place are just a few issues I e personally dealt with.

Interesting and a bit surprising, honestly, as I haven't heard much real complaining about BA. Reflecting on it, I have two of BA's barrels and I've been happy with both, but I think i also bought them before AP purchased them so I'm guessing their production numbers were comparatively low back then given how much more popular Aero has become over the years. Perhaps they just haven't been able to maintain QC while they have grown? That's not uncommon.

Serious question about your "gas ports drilled through the lands": Is that really a quality issue? I wouldn't expect barrel manufacturers to be precisely timing the rifling their barrels such that the gas port always hits a groove but I really have never though much about it. To your point, perhaps that's one of the details that sets top barrel manufacturers apart from the pack?

Joelski
20 November 2021, 11:06
Set email notifiers everywhere, have your money ready, and buy a damn FN barrel when it comes up. Or pay way too much for a Colt and have it chopped, or get a BCM. Those are your choices. Unless you take up making your own, its going to be a wait no matter what.

mustangfreek
21 November 2021, 06:56
Lol...Not after a FN barrel even though they make god stuff. I have been on lists everywhere.

Triarc literally will not answer emails, Instagram or Facebook messages or the frickin phone..guess there not getting my money...

Stone
21 November 2021, 07:11
What info are you looking for from Triarc? I got the 12.5" barrel yesterday...

Joelski
22 November 2021, 14:37
It's a CHF, CL barrel. I thought they made them for a lot of rebranders?

mustangfreek
23 November 2021, 09:40
What info are you looking for from Triarc? I got the 12.5" barrel yesterday...

I was inquiring When the 11.5 suppressed only barrels would be available and what the damn gas port size was and like most companies , they won’t say/or even reply and think it’s a secret or something.. lol
Anyone can measure…ahhh… I just wanted to know before I made a decision.

Curious though, when u got a minute and could maybe measure the gas port on the 12.5?

mustangfreek
24 November 2021, 09:09
Criterion 12.5 hybrid has landed

Now after a 11.5’ish rail,upper receiver, gas block to finish it out

Stone
4 December 2021, 12:03
Got the last of my parts a few days ago and assembled the upper. Took it to the range yesterday, did a function test, barrel break in and zeroed in the Peak iron sights.
Went really good, she is smooth and fast. I am impressed with the Peak sights, they are real fast to acquire and work great on this build. The Triarc barrel liked all the ammo I threw at it, impressive groups on a brand new barrel. Wolf gold for the break in and function test. 75g gold dots and 62g TBBC for zeroing. I was suprised that the POI was pretty negliable between the 75g and 62g which is great because those are my two HD rounds. The 75g GD's are pretty damn accurate with 1.5" groups at 50 yards on iron sights. That round was specifically made for shorter barrels IIRC. Double dimpled the gas block and will pin it once I have more rounds down the pipe. Will try to get some pics posted later. Rifle weighs in at 4.5lbs... Not going to use an optic on this rifle and pretty sure this will be my new HD rifle.

LWRC IC full ambi lower
LWRC ambi CH
V7 complete upper reciver
V7 2099 13.5" rail
V7 inconnel gas tube
BA low pro gas block
Triarc 12.5" barrel
BRT linear comp
CC- Mystic black BCG
Peak iron sights
X300u at the 12 oclock
Geissele SSA
Radian Talon

BoilerUp
4 December 2021, 14:34
Not going to use an optic on this rifle and pretty sure this will be my new HD rifle.

Man, I'd sure want an HWS or RDS on anything I considered a HD rifle. Such a great capability that improves performance, especially in certain lighting situations.

Aragorn
4 December 2021, 15:05
Got the last of my parts a few days ago and assembled the upper. Took it to the range yesterday, did a function test, barrel break in and zeroed in the Peak iron sights.
Went really good, she is smooth and fast. I am impressed with the Peak sights, they are real fast to acquire and work great on this build. The Triarc barrel liked all the ammo I threw at it, impressive groups on a brand new barrel. Wolf gold for the break in and function test. 75g gold dots and 62g TBBC for zeroing. I was suprised that the POI was pretty negliable between the 75g and 62g which is great because those are my two HD rounds. The 75g GD's are pretty damn accurate with 1.5" groups at 50 yards on iron sights. That round was specifically made for shorter barrels IIRC. Double dimpled the gas block and will pin it once I have more rounds down the pipe. Will try to get some pics posted later. Rifle weighs in at 4.5lbs... Not going to use an optic on this rifle and pretty sure this will be my new HD rifle.

LWRC IC full ambi lower
LWRC ambi CH
V7 complete upper reciver
V7 2099 13.5" rail
V7 inconnel gas tube
BA low pro gas block
Triarc 12.5" barrel
BRT linear comp
CC- Mystic black BCG
Peak iron sights
X300u at the 12 oclock

This sounds awesome. Maybe I missed it but do you have a build thread on this or pics?

Stone
4 December 2021, 18:41
@ BU I dont disagree, but I have red dots on 3 other rifles (T2's) and optics on most of the other rifles. Honestly, I wanted to keep it simple on this build and with the PEAK sights I can acquire targets real fast. I swept the house with the new rifle and she is fast and light, no issues. A no optic scenario can be argued for that its just one less variable to deal with in a high stress situation, grab and go, rounds down range... If I ever do change my mind I can pull a T2 off the 10.5"

@ Aragorn- Nah, no thread on it and pics are coming. Since Mustang named this thread 12.5" talk I figured I would just stay with the theme. You guys gave me the push to get this thing done!

Stone
4 December 2021, 18:43

Stone
4 December 2021, 18:44

Stone
4 December 2021, 18:50

mustangfreek
5 December 2021, 00:43
Nice, 4.5 lbs is light.

I’d second a rds, but to each his own.

I won’t be able to get my project together for a while but am planning a lpvo for it.

Aragorn
5 December 2021, 09:07
You guys gave me the push to get this thing done!

Ha, I read that earlier. I’ll be sure to add “Influencer” to any and all future resumes.

Looks good! I’ll be adding my light set up once I get home from my rotation tomorrow. I’ll have to add some new pics.