PDA

View Full Version : New Build completed - Adams Arms piston kit...

JustMatt
21 May 2009, 17:09
--See post on bottom for range update--
Finished my first full custom build today, with a bit of help from the Adam's Arm's guy's. I must say that it went smoother than I expected. The Adams Arms kit is top notch and the help they gave me was great. I couldn't be happier. Full list of components below:

SLR15 lower reciever - very nice lower
Rock River LPk
Ergo Grip Tactical Deluxe grip - big palm swell. Good for big paws.
Magpul UBR stock - well worth the money and wait
Vltor MUR upper - I love the look and extra beefy construction.
18" Custom barrel - This has a Melonite QPQ treatment and is realy nice looking. Haven't shot it yet so can't comment on performance. Topped it off with a Primary Weapons FSC556 compensator.
Daniel Defense 9" light rail - This mated to the Vltor MUR perfectly and I had zero issues using the Adams Arms piston kit. Nice rail!

Adams Arms Piston kit with one piece bolt carrier - I own a LWRC M6A2 and although I can't comment on the function of the Adams Arms kit (as I haven't shot it yet), it seems to outshine the LWRC in every way, hopefully it will be as reliable as my LWRC, that gun hasn't choked on my once. My LWRC is a first gen and I have seen there current production guns and they are definitely better than there first gen guns. But with the Melonite QPQ on the gas block and one piece bolt carrier, it's hard to top the Adams Arms kit. I added a LMT enhanced bolt to finish it all off. Pics below. Let me know what you guys think.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/Adams%20Arms%20AR%2015%20build/AdamsArmsbuild2.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/Adams%20Arms%20AR%2015%20build/AdamsArmscompleted1.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/Adams%20Arms%20AR%2015%20build/AdamsArmsbuild5.jpg

federalist22
21 May 2009, 18:17
Very nice.

I installed an Ares (Bushmaster kit) piston on my S&W M&P15--works perfectly, but my own Rock River platform I will install an Adams or CMMG piston kit. Nice setup you have there.

SKULL
21 May 2009, 21:16
niiiceee....

alt154shiver
22 May 2009, 11:24
Nice build. Question, what optic do you have mounted?

Let us know how she shoots.

JustMatt
22 May 2009, 17:30
Thanks for the kind words fellas. I'm curious to see how she shoots because the barrel is Melonite inside and out and is a 1/8 twist. I can't say enough about the Adams Arms guys, they are great to deal with. I have no doubt that there product will perform flawless. The optic is a Aimpoint M4s in a Larue medium mount. The M4s puts the battery on the lower right side where the M4 puts it high right. I prefer the look of the low battery mount vs' the high mount but functionally they are identical.

Creeky73
22 May 2009, 18:17
Please let us know how you like the Adams Arms kit, I am seriously considering getting one. How easy was the install? Stick, I think an install guide on this product would be great, if you are so inclined...:)

JustMatt
23 May 2009, 03:43
Considering that this was my first build I gotta say that it was a lot eaier than I thought. I did have help from the guys down at Adams Arms but it was very straigth forward. I beleive that they are going to be posting a install guide on there website with step by step pics. I pretty sure Stick has a review/install guide somewhere on here as well. If your upper is already put together and youre just wanting to swap out the DI system for the piston system then it should be even easier. I should have a range report for you guys on tuesday'ish.

m24shooter
23 May 2009, 05:31
I did the review of it here:
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434
I'm hoping to be able to add to the review with some new stuff soon.

JustMatt
23 May 2009, 08:09
I got a ton of pics of my build and the Adams Arms kit including the one piece carrier. Let me know if you need/want some for your updated reveiw.

JustMatt
24 July 2009, 04:26
It took me a while due to some personal issues but I finally got to the range and put some rounds through my new build with the Adams Arms kit. As this was my first build I was curious to see how it ran. I am glad to say that it shot fantastic and did not hiccup once.
A couple things that might be of interest, the SLR15 lower is nice and I had no issues with the old style PMags or Lancer Mags. The new M model PMags would not drop free loaded or unloaded and they seemed a tight fit when loading. They still functioned fine and I had no reliability problems but this kinda bothered me cause they are supposed to be 'new and improved'!
The Primary Weapons FSC556 break was outstanding. Noticeable reduced recoil. Now recoil on a AR shouldn't be much of a issue but it definitely helped keep the rounds close when pulling the trigger quick.
The Adams Arms piston kit functioned fantastically as it gave me no issues at all. I am using there one piece carrier with the new QPQ coating and there spring system for the bolt tail. The barrel is a 18" heavy barrel with QPQ inside and out instead of chrome. All together I was able to keep all shots of a 30rd mag using PRVI 75grn ammo in a fist sized group on a silhouette target with a Aimpoint M4s. I have no doubt the gun can shoot better than I can.
With the exception of the new PMags not falling free from my SLR lower, I am very happy with the way this turned out and am now considering the specs for my next build.