PDA

View Full Version : EOTech and rechargeables

m24shooter
22 May 2009, 17:26
What is the ground truth on these? I've got a 512 and I'm thinking about trying the Energizer rechargeables in it. I use them for other things (cameras, lights, etc) and I was curious what anyone's experience with them is.
I've been using Energizer Lithiums, and they've been great.

Muddyboots
23 May 2009, 18:05
I recommend against it.

I personally don't trust rechargables enough to use them in an optic. Sure, in ancillary gear but if it might be "life saving gear" it's new quality lithiums. It's like building a $3K rifle and using cheap magazines. Ya could...

Hope that helps!

Muddyboots

m24shooter
23 May 2009, 18:11
I'm leery of it, but the manual says they can be used. With a relatively long battery life I'm not worried about using Energizer Lithiums but I'm curious as to how well the rechargeables work. I may try them just to see how well they do and if there is any appreciable difference between them.
I know there is a guy that does/did a recharge mod for EOTechs that basically recharged the batteries at a faster rate then the optic used up the trons with a small solar panel.

Ryo
23 May 2009, 23:20
I never really paid attention to the Eotech's holo sight.. does it dim as the battery weakens? If so then I advise against rechargables if using as as duty optic.

Rechargables have a steep drop off when discharged.

m24shooter
23 May 2009, 23:52
The reticle doesn't dim. With non-lithium batts the reticle will flash as the unit is turned on if they are low, but the intensity is consistent over the life of the battery; when the batteries go the reticle just gives out.
With lithiums that feature may not be available.
I would assume the rechargeables function as standard batteries in terms of the power-on check.
I may try some rechargeables in mine and just leave it on continuously to see how they do in comparison.

Eric
24 May 2009, 00:40
While I don't have any personal experience with them, I vaguely recall someone having problems with the low battery warning. I believe that most rechargeables run at 1.2V instead of 1.5V, so the indicator comes on during each power-up.

Ryo
24 May 2009, 01:57
Learn something new everyday. Didn't realize that at low power it flashes when turned on..
There are different rechargeable batteries and you can get some at higher voltages, but problem with with rechargables is that they give a output that may not be at the right output voltage level to correctly indicate the low power. Get some rated higher they may not trip the low power, and get some at lower power, they prematurely trip. This is what I would think the problem is.. but it's only IMHO.

rob_s
24 May 2009, 04:28
most rechargeables run at 1.2V instead of 1.5V, so the indicator comes on during each power-up.
This is typically true.

m24shooter
24 May 2009, 08:33
While I don't have any personal experience with them, I vaguely recall someone having problems with the low battery warning. I believe that most rechargeables run at 1.2V instead of 1.5V, so the indicator comes on during each power-up.
I've never really considered using rechargeables in an optic, although I have used them in lights. I remember hearing/reading something about rechargeables in the EOThingies but I couldn't remember what it was.
The voltage difference stands to reason and I can see why it would give the user fits.

shadco
24 May 2009, 09:13
I use rechargeables heavily in photography, primarily for flashes.

I don't find the shelf life of charged batteries that aren't being used good at all, they also provide lower voltage than std batteries, their duration is not as good as std duracells.

Their attraction is that I keep around 6 sets of good rechargeables (Varta) around since it lowers the consumable cost of running flashes off of batteries compared using disposables but one of the costs is more frequent battery changes. It's not unusual for me to go through 2 sets per flash in an evening of shooting. I normally use 3 flashes so six sets, I keep good old duracells in the bag as backup.

I don't think this is a good recipe for running anything you need to rely on.

tac40
24 May 2009, 09:54
http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=10&cat=2

My buddy was using this model, the battery was sitting in it for awhile? and when opened the battery leaked out and destoryed the contacts-Kodak brand, FYI, with this in mind, our depart EO-Techs experienced the same issues. One of our officers did use rechargeables but for some reason they did not hold their charge well. As a move on our part, we stocked up on CR123 batteries and issue them out like candy.

m24shooter
24 May 2009, 10:23
Shadco:
That's what I primarily use my rechargeables for: my wife runs through camera batteries like crazy with two kids growing up and all that goes on with that. I use them on some lights, MP3 players, and other small electronics. I was wondering what the actuality of L3's claim that they can run on rechargeables was. It is one thing to say they "can" run on rechargeables as opposed to no appreciable difference.
Tac:
I just saw an 511 behind the counter yesterday at a local shop NIB.