PDA

View Full Version : MI Free Float Extended Handguard Question

Jerry R
23 May 2009, 20:05
Stickman's thread http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3&highlight=midwest+industries+rail was as good as I've seen on such a simple installation. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you !

I am giving serious thought to the Midwest Industries Extended version of their Free Float Carbine Handguard (MCTAR-20X). If I mount a sling swivel on one side, light on the other, vertical grip on the bottom, will an EOTech maintain zero mounted to the top?

It just seems a little long to only be supported by the barrel nut. I'm wondering if any stress induced by sling or vertical grip would cause problems.

I think this is a better option (if no problems) than the cantilever carry handle mount made by EOTech, not much more money, and increased versatility.

All input and opinions gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
Jerry

m24shooter
23 May 2009, 22:21
Any time you mount an optic or sight to a free float tube it will move independent of the barrel. So if you are pulling with the sling or pushing with the VFG you will see some shift. That shift will be more the harder you push/pull and the farther out the sight or optic is placed.

Stickman
24 May 2009, 14:38
A few things I would consider...

1. The farther out you mount the sling point, the greater the torque you can put on it, but it really isn't like most people torque down super hard anyway. So if you do mount the sling all the way at the end of the rail, and you do wrap your sling as tight as you can around your arm and crank on it, are you good enough to see the inch or so change at 100 yards while using an Eotech? I doubt that I would.

2. The VFG doesn't really apply much force, especially if you aren't choking it while holding it towards the bottom and pulling in towards yourself real hard. If you do shoot that way, and it works, power to you, but I would encourage you to try a few more practical ways of using the VFG.

I think the extended length rails work quite nicely, and they are able to push a light out farther than their smaller siblings, which in turn eliminates or reduces barrel shadowing, which is a good thing when you are working at night or in low light.

Jerry R
24 May 2009, 17:18
Thanks guys. Your input is much appreciated. I have ordered the extended rails from Bravo Company. I believe I will leave the sling mount on the MI Tactical Light Mount (on the front sight) and move the light to the rail. I am not a choker on the VFG so hopefully that won't create issues.

Thanks again.