PDA

View Full Version : Fortis K2 locking castle nut (end plate)

FortTom
1 September 2022, 04:44
I recall some time ago, there was a some discussion about these here, but don't recall the specifics, and can't find it here. I just ordered one of these because I hate staking the nut into place and screwing up the threads on the buffer tube.

I'm ordering the K2 with the locking lever. Now that some time has gone by since their introduction, has anyone tried one? Any issues to be aware of? Gimmick or
Godsend?

Thanks
FT[:D]

Jerry R
1 September 2022, 07:28
I have three of the K1 versions, but have not tried the K2. I know, that doesn't help. But, I am not unhappy with the K1. It seems to work. Having said that, not sure why K2 was introduced since the K1 works so well. Am I missing something?

UWone77
1 September 2022, 08:41
Here's the breakdown:

https://youtu.be/Qh5VikgIOKQ

Jerry R
1 September 2022, 10:19
Nice. Thanks UW!

Uffdaphil
1 September 2022, 14:41
I’ve had no problems with the Fortis or the other locking type (I forget which) used. With so many spare nuts and plates I usually just stick with the standards.

Like fancy takedown pins it’s hard to justify the extra $$, but sometimes you just wanna which is good enough reason in my book.

FortTom
3 September 2022, 06:41
I have three of the K1 versions, but have not tried the K2. I know, that doesn't help. But, I am not unhappy with the K1. It seems to work. Having said that, not sure why K2 was introduced since the K1 works so well. Am I missing something?

I haven't tried either, but there's no staking involved with the K2 and it's easily removed by turning the tube slightly clockwise and using the lever to release the nut by hand, doesn't wear out and no staking. I'll let you know if it gives me warm fuzzy feelings when it get's here, or if it's just gimmicky.

UWone77
3 September 2022, 12:45
As much as I like Fortis products, I'm not sure if aluminum castle nuts are the way to go on a hard use gun, duty grade, life saving gun. Granted, like the video said, they haven't had one fail to their knowledge. I have several and they've haven't failed either. BUT.... Something about a steel castle nut with proper staking. Maybe that's my inner Will Larson talking... plus a regular castle nut is $3.

Tyrannosaur
4 September 2022, 17:34
I have a k2, no issues in a couple years but I don't run it hard

FortTom
5 September 2022, 10:00
As much as I like Fortis products, I'm not sure if aluminum castle nuts are the way to go on a hard use gun, duty grade, life saving gun. Granted, like the video said, they haven't had one fail to their knowledge. I have several and they've haven't failed either. BUT.... Something about a steel castle nut with proper staking. Maybe that's my inner Will Larson talking... plus a regular castle nut is $3.

Well, the K2 with the locking lever , I would guess might be the weakest link, I don't know. These day's I haven't done much "rough running and gunning" but I still want it to hold together as far as any emergency, no matter how intense it might be, so I'm with you there UW. As far as the 3 buck locking ring and a good hard tap with a punch, well I was stupid enough to try a $15 dollar beer the other night..... with an offer to buy a '4 pack', I guess I never learn. And I did pass on the $60 4 pack.[wow]

P.S. Did Biden just call me a terrorist??[:D]