PDA

View Full Version : Portable Comms gear

FortTom
17 November 2022, 20:45
Over the last few years I've been a bit of a prepper, mostly for the tornadic and other storm emergencies , flooding etc.. Most of my supplies are common sense stuff, with meals got for 25 years and canned goods, both will outlive me by a long shot.

I plan to hopefully shelter in place, with it's own set of problems, but the long and the short of it, except for a potential war with some of earths neighbors that dream about such a thing, most sheltering in place would be a natural disaster and waiting for a couple of weeks or so or until FEMA finds me.

The question here is that I want a 2 way ham hand held radio. They seem to hover in price from around 150 to 200 bucks. Problem is that I don't know squat about them. Can someone give me a short schooling on the hand held models, what does what better, etc..etc...

Thanks ahead,
FT[:D]

gatordev
18 November 2022, 06:23
My SSB knowledge is really dated (form the late '80's), so I'm sure there's some advancements, but the basic science is still the same. The first thing you need to determine is what range do you want and do you want to just listen or do you also want to talk. Historically, handhelds were for 2 Meter (waveform) comms, which used repeaters. I don't even know if they still exist now, but this would allow you non-line-of-sight comms with someone (as long as you had LOS with the repeater), much like police/EMS radios.

If you want to reach out farther, you're going to need some sort of significant antenna setup, be it a long-wire, tall whip, or an actual beam antenna. You will also need power to get the signal out. If you're in a terrestrial environment, especially around a city/town center, you'll need more power to get out from the noise and a better antenna setup to receive over the noise.

There's also knowing which bands to use for range. FT, I'm guessing you're savvy on this, but just to recap, smaller wavelength equals shorter distance/skip. 7 Khz will get you to FL, maybe. 14 Khz will get you to the Carribean and maybe farther. This is a little different than ELF, which obviously goes around the world, but has very little bandwidth (and needs lots of power).

Lastly, to be legal on some bands, you need a license. On other bands you don't. Marine Maritime doesn't require it, but that doesn't help you.

I'm just not smart on hand held units nowadays to know what they're capable of and on what band.

alamo5000
18 November 2022, 09:41
The range of a hand held varies widely. A few months ago I did a test and for my setting it can reach out about 5ish miles. That said 'range' is dependent on terrain. If you are in the salt flats it will go substantially farther. If you are in the mountains it can potentially go substantially shorter. My area is sort of hilly and heavily forested.

Keep in mind that there are two ends to things...who is transmitting and who is receiving. There may be situations where you can hear but can't talk back to anyone. Also if you are actually inside of your car the distance is greatly limited. If you stop, pull over, and get out it will be better and have better reception and transmission range. The same thing is true inside your house.

My overall view is that a hand held is good for certain things. Say for example there is a forest fire, or someone gets lost in the woods it will be great for coordinating with others in a given area. If you are going to be out and about, mostly on foot it is great. If you don't plan on walking around and hiking through the woods or whatever there are better options.

Another downside is the battery life of a hand held is not optimal. Even if you just put a fully charged unit in your car and leave it, you will find dead batteries and be in need of a recharge. In other words you have to be really proactive about carrying it in/out of the house and keeping it charged up.

What I did (and I think is a better option) is to go the next level up. I have a setup with a Kenwood radio that can be put inside a car. I have the power cables connected up to a cigarette lighter plug so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle in about 2-3 minutes. Plus in general you won't run out of battery (unless you are talking for a long time just on car battery alone).

I also purchased a power station that can plug into the wall outlet at home. I can plug my station into that and have basically a home based station from the comfort of my A/C. About the only thing I need to do extra is run the antenna wire out the window or something.

Not to mention that these units can talk maybe ten times that of a hand held. Instead of a 5 mile radius, you might get 50 miles (again depending on the terrain and other factors). None the less if something crazy happens like a hurricane or something I can reach out quite far and hit repeaters or whatever from my car.

If it really gets messed up I can use my car unit as a self contained repeater. So if I go to an area that has horrible reception on a hand held, I can talk to my car unit and amplify my signal out. That all being said the way I have my stuff set up is far more practical than just having a hand held. 90-95% of the time I won't be far from my vehicle, especially in a 'situation'. Basically I have never used my hand held for anything other than testing or whatever. That said, if you plan to be on foot then get a hand held.

The way I have my car unit set up, like I said, I can put it in or take it out of a car in like 3 minutes. If the power is out at home I can put it in the car and communicate away. It has a whole lot more utility doing it that way and way less limitations.

You will need the same license to use either. I would suggest studying for and taking the test first, then start shopping around for equipment.

gatordev
19 November 2022, 04:53
Alamo, is that a Recreational license or a General? Or did they finally merge everything into one license? I suppose I could Google the answer, now that I ask it.

alamo5000
19 November 2022, 07:41
I am pretty sure all I have is the Technician level. It was such a long time ago since I took the test, but I am pretty sure that's it.

License Restructuring

In December 1999, after a lengthy review of the Amateur Radio licensing system, the FCC began issuing major changes. In April 2000, the number of license classes dropped from six to the current three. In addition, in February 2007, the FCC discontinued requiring Morse code proficiency tests. The FCC issued these new regulations to streamline the licensing system and bring the Amateur Radio service into the digital age. While the new license system might not make it easier to get into Amateur Radio, licensed operators can move from the beginner to expert level more quickly.

The Technician License

The Technician class license is the entry-level license of choice for most new ham radio operators. To earn the Technician license requires passing one examination totaling 35 questions on radio theory, regulations and operating practices. The license gives access to all Amateur Radio frequencies above 30 megahertz, allowing these licensees the ability to communicate locally and most often within North America. It also allows for some limited privileges on the HF (also called "short wave") bands used for international communications.

The General License

The General class license grants some operating privileges on all Amateur Radio bands and all operating modes. This license opens the door to world-wide communications. Earning the General class license requires passing a 35 question examination. General class licensees must also have passed the Technician written examination.

The Amateur Extra License

The Amateur Extra class license conveys all available U.S. Amateur Radio operating privileges on all bands and all modes. Earning the license is more difficult; it requires passing a thorough 50 question examination. Extra class licensees must also have passed all previous license class written examinations.

https://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-licenses

gatordev
20 November 2022, 05:08
I thought I remembered hearing something about streamlining the process. This seems much more reasonable in this day and age.

alamo5000
20 November 2022, 09:12
I thought I remembered hearing something about streamlining the process. This seems much more reasonable in this day and age.

I did my test right about 2007 so I didn't have to learn morse code or anything like that. That said you really do have to study for the test. It's not long, and it's not easy. If you just show up expecting to breeze through you will most likely fail it. That said there are some really good resources online that are free where you can study for it.

That all being said I almost never use my HAM radio. I am glad that I have it but I am very rusty on a lot of the technical stuff. If an emergency breaks out though it is a valuable tool to have. I have a little 'cheat book' that I bought that has every single function of my radio written in simple but concise language. I definitely recommend getting one of those books. Unless you use the radio all the time it's difficult to remember all that stuff.

Stone
20 November 2022, 13:05
FT, take a look at the Yaesu VX-6R its a great radio. I use it at home to chat with the locals and a few guys said they couldnt beleive the clarity I was sending on a hand held. Its actually part of my comms setup for my PC, Disco32 sells a great PTT for it and their VMAS works well for a low profile PC setup.

Bought mine here: https://www.dxengineering.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=vx6r

https://www.disco32.com/collections/push-to-talks/products/u94-push-to-talk-for-yaesu

https://www.disco32.com/collections/antennas/products/vest-mounted-antenna-system-quick-detach-bnc

Stone
20 November 2022, 13:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mKibwkODI

Stone
20 November 2022, 13:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRdAoIaP1Oo

FortTom
21 November 2022, 12:57
Thanks to all for the valuable info. During my military career, the divisions that i was a part of relied on satellite phones as well as related fixed operation comm equipment, so I personally never had any training on operating ham radio, or the associated gear. I did have a good friend who was in to it as a "hobby".

Now days you can take the test online, and sans the Morse code requirement. I would guess that would make the test easier as it basically makes the test "open book". I'm not too worried about passing a test, as except for just listening, who in the hell is going to prosecute me for using it as a life saving device? Don't know if any of you remember the horrendous flooding in Eastern KY about 4 months ago, but they are still trying to go though house's looking for cadavers and possible survivors. Good luck with the "survivors" and missing persons though, although I hate to say that.

Anyway, I will learn the info and take the test for at least the basic level operator. I would like to be able to listen across a large chunk of the U.S. for updates from FEMA and other govt. agencies for updates to SHTF situations, and be able to talk a fairly long range for possible help and assistance. Now that N. Korea has long range nuclear rockets capable of striking anywhere in the U.S. even the "rational" world is getting to get a little concerned about that cowardly little fat mentally ill dictator over there, and in other countries.
Didn't mean to make this post so long, but all of that in total makes me want a two way capable radio and a method to recharge batteries. If you have a better solution, feel free to let me know.

FT[:D]

Stone
21 November 2022, 13:15
I wouldnt worry about NK to much... We have 2 subs parked at their front door with 28 nuclear warheads each and if the midget so much as sneezes in the wrong direction we will remove them from the map... Not to mention shooting down anything he might have launched.

FortTom
21 November 2022, 14:08
I wouldnt worry about NK to much... We have 2 subs parked at their front door with 28 nuclear warheads each and if the midget so much as sneezes in the wrong direction we will remove them from the map... Not to mention shooting down anything he might have launched.

Seriously, I don't really worry about that. I am concerned, jus a bit, about a "dirty" bomb, much more than a nuclear war. Hell, I don't trust Biden with his hand on the "football". Would probably think he was playing a video game.[:D] Seriously, I'm much more concerned about natural disasters, and domestic terrorists, with natural disasters at the top of my list. I would like to be able to get "news" from a pretty good distance though. Again, thanks for the help.

alamo5000
21 November 2022, 14:37
If all you want to do is listen you don't need to take a test. If you want to talk to people then you will need to take it.

Yes, there is no Morse code anymore but don't fool yourself into thinking it will be a breeze. People that try that fail it and wind up trying to take it multiple times. It's best to prepare and pass it on the first time.

Again it all depends on what you want to accomplish with this stuff. If all you want to do is monitor stuff then skip all the other stuff and just buy a cheap radio and yes buy spare batteries if you can and a portable car charger. With that though learning how to program it will be key. Some radios are way more complicated than others.

Stone
21 November 2022, 15:23
I am considering getting my Technicians license through Ham Radio Prep. They have a BF sale going on at $79 which will get you through all three levels and a lifetime membership and a 100% guarantee you will pass the tests on your first try. Kind of like a one stop shop and IIRC the test costs are included but I would double check on that...

https://hamradioprep.com/all-access-pass-black-friday/

(https://hamradioprep.com/all-access-pass-black-friday/)

BoilerUp
21 November 2022, 16:45
Getting my Technician license is on my to-do list and may work at it this winter. A co-worker is an instructor and he did recommend the Radioddity DB25-G as a good entry point for GMRS. Not a handheld, but small and can be vehicle mounted. For a handheld, he uses a Yaesu VX-7R which I'm guessing is a bit more advanced than the -6

alamo5000
21 November 2022, 16:49
Personally I don't think the higher levels are worth it UNLESS you plan to really get into HAM and get lots of expensive equipment. If you want to talk to people in South America or the opposite coast or something like that then go for it. If you want just local emergency preparedness stuff those things other levels are not going to help you at all. Basically they are for much higher power broadcasting and such as well as access to other frequencies.

Plenty of people have those higher licenses but to me it depends on your goal.

Also for the tests there are some free resources online that work really well. Paying $79 is not needed for this at all. I will try to put up a link later on where you can do practice tests for free. I passed mine on the first try using only that resource.

I think the fee to take the test is like $10 at a local ham club but that fee can vary a little bit depending on where you are at. Also the fee for registration (paid to the government) is $35 for 10 years regardless of where you test. Before it was a little bit cheaper than that.

Basically the costs are whatever the local to you club charges to administer the test plus $35 paid to the government after you pass.

alamo5000
21 November 2022, 16:56
Getting my Technician license is on my to-do list and may work at it this winter. A co-worker is an instructor and he did recommend the Radioddity DB25-G as a good entry point for GMRS. Not a handheld, but small and can be vehicle mounted. For a handheld, he uses a Yaesu VX-7R which I'm guessing is a bit more advanced than the -6

That little radio looks interesting. I will ask around and see what others say about it.

Also as it was mentioned that he possibly wanted to be in listen only mode, there is a scanner on their website for $40. You can buy one of those and listen however much you want.

For two way comms though the basic stuff is good to go, at least for anything local-ish.

alamo5000
21 November 2022, 17:10
Here is the link for free online test/study material. It's 100% free.

https://hamexam.org/

Stone
21 November 2022, 18:32
Free is good! That other site is just what I found on a quick search...

alamo5000
21 November 2022, 18:44
Free is good! That other site is just what I found on a quick search...

If you memorize the stuff in those practice tests you should pass with no problem.

FortTom
21 November 2022, 23:34
If you memorize the stuff in those practice tests you should pass with no problem.

I am going to share some info that I learned from a monk, who I met at the summit of MT Everest, and reducing the pamphlet from $$1999 plus $29.95 S&H to 3 Easy payments plus FREE shipping . Just 3 Easy payments of $49.95. All major credit cards accepted. Here is a sneak peak of the golden nuggets of wisdom I will share with you simply because you are a member of WEVO.

HOW I GOT THROUGH COLLEGE: chapter 2 para 1.

1. Young guys: Melt and recycle your bong, flush your weed and weld
the door on your fridge, with beer on inside, shut.

2. Old guys: Have your Ex wife sneak in your house and break your bottles of expensive hooch in the sink, and also weld the door to the extra fridge in the garage where you keep your w stash of beer and ice cubes for your expensive hooch.

3. Now study your ass off, and do not smoke, drink or otherwise ingest certain chemicals, at least until you pass test.

Genius and simple plan to improve your grades

Plus, if you call within the next hour, you'll get a free 8 track cassette of Boxcar Willie's top hits singing about his life as a rail car hobo. Just pay extra shipping and handling.

gatordev
22 November 2022, 05:39
It really boils down to what you want to listen to, and if applicable, talk on. A simple whip antenna isn't going to receive much from far away, especially in a more urban area. If you're trying to go more than a few miles, setting up a long-wire is going to be needed.

FortTom
22 November 2022, 10:18
It really boils down to what you want to listen to, and if applicable, talk on. A simple whip antenna isn't going to receive much from far away, especially in a more urban area. If you're trying to go more than a few miles, setting up a long-wire is going to be needed.

I was very surprised to learn about how little distance these things would work att. In the early to mid 70's some friends of our family had a whole rack of equipment full of CB equipment and since they lived in the country they had a big tower with antenna. It had some kind of powerful amplifier, and something I think, if i rememger called Single Side Band. It was supposed to be illegal to use over 5W or so. Anyway, they would talk to their family in Tacoma, and "radio friends" all over the states.

Stone
22 November 2022, 10:43

Im not trying to prove you wrong but recently I set up a new comm setup for my PC and wanted to make sure I was transmitting and my setup was working well. I chimmed in on a local HAM radio channel and asked for a radio check and a guy came back and said I was coming through LAC. He asked what I was sending on and told him it was a handheld (VX-6R) with a small 13" flexible antenna with a PTT and my OPS CORE headset. He was blown away that my signal was so strong and clear from just a handheld. I just checked on google maps and the town he is in is 41 miles away... After we were done chatting a guy from Iowa chimmed in as he was amazed by the fact he was picking us up at 150 miles away but he was on a home setup I beleive. I dont understand the underlying logistics of transmitting and receiving and using a local repeater but thought I would just share my initial experience on a handheld...

I am just a few miles from a large city with a major airport close by...

FortTom
22 November 2022, 17:25
Im not trying to prove you wrong but recently I set up a new comm setup for my PC and wanted to make sure I was transmitting and my setup was working well. I chimmed in on a local HAM radio channel and asked for a radio check and a guy came back and said I was coming through LAC. He asked what I was sending on and told him it was a handheld (VX-6R) with a small 13" flexible antenna with a PTT and my OPS CORE headset. He was blown away that my signal was so strong and clear from just a handheld. I just checked on google maps and the town he is in is 41 miles away... After we were done chatting a guy from Iowa chimmed in as he was amazed by the fact he was picking us up at 150 miles away but he was on a home setup I beleive. I dont understand the underlying logistics of transmitting and receiving and using a local repeater but thought I would just share my initial experience on a handheld...

I don't think you were trying to prove anyone wrong. Hell, I don't know squat about Ham Radio's. I kind of like it that way because when I begin studying and learning about this, I won't have any preconceived bias's or notions one way or the other. I'm starting from a clean sheet of paper.

My point was how in the 70's my friends from South Central KY could talk to their friends once or twice a week, in Tacoma Washington with a CB radio, albeit a very expensive one with all kinds of add on doo-dads and equipment. They talked all over the U.S. to people with that thing.

FortTom
22 November 2022, 17:50

Gator, I live in a condo, so that's going to be kind of difficult. However, I'm curious as to whether I could rig something up in the loft space over my garage. But right now I'm not too worried about it until I can hit the books, learn some things, and get rolling on my own. My radio is supposed to get here tomorrow, and I'll start reading the manuals. I bought one of those Ham radio for dummies books, They have a good series of books that will get you from absolutely ignorant of the subject, to a somewhat competent person on the subject. If I get that far, I'll get some more advanced books. And use the web as a Tutor.

FT[noob]

I may even sign up for that web based class that Stone alluded too, for $79.00. Not a major risk of cash if it doesn't pan out, but it looks like a pretty good way to go, at least for me. Maybe tomorrow after I get to unpack it and start reading the manuals so i can at least figure out how to turn the thing on.

gatordev
23 November 2022, 07:21

That's why I said what I did the way I said it. It really depends on what you're trying to talk on. 2 meter with repeaters isn't the same thing as SSB at 20 or 40 meters. Sounds like you have your rig working great, so I'm certainly not trying to take that away from you. My personal (again, albeit much older) experience was with SSB where it was being used to talk 1,000 miles or more from the Carribean back to the U.S. (this was late 80's). Later (early 2000's), my parents were using SSB for data (email and weather) as well, which required getting stations in the US or Europe (when they were in the Atlantic) or from Australia when they were in the Pacific.

That may not be what FT is looking for, so that's why I was clarifying what he actually needs/wants. And it sounds like taking a class will give him more insight into what he actually wants to accomplish.

I was very surprised to learn about how little distance these things would work att. In the early to mid 70's some friends of our family had a whole rack of equipment full of CB equipment and since they lived in the country they had a big tower with antenna. It had some kind of powerful amplifier, and something I think, if i rememger called Single Side Band. It was supposed to be illegal to use over 5W or so. Anyway, they would talk to their family in Tacoma, and "radio friends" all over the states.

Yup, it will really depend on what band you're trying to use and what rig you have. On my last deployment, I was talking to my parents on their boat with our HF in the helicopter. We could put out as much as 100w (according to my Mx guys), but our system was just so old and not maintained that my dad could hear us a little bit, but I just couldn't hear more than a couple of words from him, and that was with our long-wire oriented towards him and his rig was pretty well dialed in. We were less than 1,000 miles away (although it was during the day, which is noisier). With more maintained gear, I'm sure our end would have been better.

Gator, I live in a condo, so that's going to be kind of difficult. However, I'm curious as to whether I could rig something up in the loft space over my garage. But right now I'm not too worried about it until I can hit the books, learn some things, and get rolling on my own. My radio is supposed to get here tomorrow, and I'll start reading the manuals. I bought one of those Ham radio for dummies books, They have a good series of books that will get you from absolutely ignorant of the subject, to a somewhat competent person on the subject. If I get that far, I'll get some more advanced books. And use the web as a Tutor.

You could certainly try to rig up a long-wire in your loft. You'd have to do some figuring on how to set it up for whatever freqs you want, but that's stuff you can learn from your class (and I'm sure online). Also keep in mind, you don't want to be touching the antenna when transmitting. Unless you need a jolt in the morning to help you get going.

FortTom
23 November 2022, 14:42
Gator......hahahhahaha, I'll keep that in mind. Guess if I stick it to my plate carrier and take a walk in the woods to check it out, I'll also try to remember not to take a leak and key it up at the same time.[wow]

Stone
23 November 2022, 19:21
Disco32 has a great PTT for the Yaesu and also a VMAS (vest mounted antenna system) which is just a cable that winds through your molle. Great low pro setup.
They are having a 24hr BF sale friday if you decide to go that route... I have 2 PC's setup that way and all I have to do is drop the radio in the radio pouch and im off...

https://www.disco32.com/collections/push-to-talks/products/u94-push-to-talk-for-yaesu

https://www.disco32.com/collections/antennas/products/vest-mounted-antenna-system-quick-detach-bnc

(https://www.disco32.com/collections/antennas/products/vest-mounted-antenna-system-quick-detach-bnc)

FortTom
30 November 2022, 17:02
If this is a duplicate, I apologize. I hate this freakin editor on this website. Message disappeared right when I typed my name at the end. Has happened before and pisses me off.
anyway, was reading on the web about my radio, and a couple of folks mentioned that it was very difficult, in their opinion, to program. DX had the software on sale, so while I won't need it for quite a while, since I can't transmit until I pass the entry level exam, I bought it at $48. They do ream you on the shipping, something like $13.99 since the software is a download and their only shipping the USB cable, but they are going to charge me full price on the software w/cable anyway, at full price.

Any thoughts on this? Is it usable and doesn't require a Ph.D to learn? Sorry to bug you with so many questions.
Thanks,
Jim[:D]

Stone
30 November 2022, 17:58
@FT- I got your PM and I have no clue about the software or about any programming issues. I am still a novice with this radio and I went with it because it will take me well past intermediate level and will be applicable as I learn. When you get it figured out let me know... Just because a few guys say its difficult to program doesnt necessarily mean it is that way for everyone. YMMV

FortTom
30 November 2022, 20:10
@FT- I got your PM and I have no clue about the software or about any programming issues. I am still a novice with this radio and I went with it because it will take me well past intermediate level and will be applicable as I learn. When you get it figured out let me know... Just because a few guys say its difficult to program doesnt necessarily mean it is that way for everyone. YMMV
I suppose it's just a visual way to program your radio, rather than pushing all those little buttons, and a tool just to make it much easier to do, upload via USB, rather than to enter manually. Check it out on DX's site. Thanks,
Jim