PDA

View Full Version : New Build...not a gun

rxer311
31 January 2023, 14:56
So I built my own portable bluetooth speaker out of an Ammo Can. Its a 50 cal SAW box. It uses a Dayton 50w x 2 channel amp with bluetooth and aux in. Speakers are 4" JL Audio C1. Grills are custom made from computer cooling fan grills. I lined the front and back of the box with 3/4" plywood and then used car sound deadening material to coat the entire inside. Sounds awesome!

https://i.imgur.com/szZg2ir.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tULOnG2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zGoiiS5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2KtayMH.jpg

UWone77
31 January 2023, 21:32
That's pretty slick. Perfect for the rest of the decor.

rxer311
31 January 2023, 22:21
Thank you

Jerry R
1 February 2023, 04:22
Nicely done !!

Uffdaphil
1 February 2023, 16:40
Great idea, well executed. Bravo

rxer311
1 February 2023, 18:17
Wife tells me I should build them and sell them on Etsy.

The truth I that you can buy a portable Bluetooth speaker much cheaper. It won't look as badass or sound as good...but all in this was over $200 to build. I could use more inexpensive components, but then you sacrifice sound quality. There are dudes selling similar things for like $400 so I guess there is a market. That is what inspired me to build my own. I knew I wanted one when I saw them but wasn't going to drop $400 on one.

I was thinking of trying out a mono setup for my next build. With the speakers being so close you really aren't experiencing the stereo separation anyway...but with a larger speaker, I could get better bass response.

I have to admit, though, that this sounds darn good for a pair of 4" coaxial speakers.

Anyway, thank you for the kind words. I am enjoying it.

There are a few things I would do different next time around. I wouldn't use that mounting plate on the back but drill my own holes for the leds and accessories. I definitely would put the volume knob and power switch on the front with the aux in and power on the side. I did it this way because the plate was an accessory with the Amp that simplified wiring. After building one now I know that the wiring was simple anyway...it's just a matter of drilling out uour own template for the switches and lights.

If any of you would like to build your own There is a kit on partsnexpress to make this project with a plastic ammo can. You can then add anything else you would need. I didn't use the speakers with the kit but it was just as cheap to buy the kit. If you use a metal can you will also need to get a Bluetooth antenna.

rxer311
1 February 2023, 18:51
Wife tells me I should build them and sell them on Etsy.

The truth I that you can buy a portable Bluetooth speaker much cheaper. It won't look as badass or sound as good...but all in this was over $200 to build. I could use more inexpensive components, but then you sacrifice sound quality. There are dudes selling similar things for like $400 so I guess there is a market. That is what inspired me to build my own. I knew I wanted one when I saw them but wasn't going to drop $400 on one.

I was thinking of trying out a mono setup for my next build. With the speakers being so close you really aren't experiencing the stereo separation anyway...but with a larger speaker, I could get better bass response.

I have to admit, though, that this sounds darn good for a pair of 4" coaxial speakers.

Anyway, thank you for the kind words. I am enjoying it.

There are a few things I would do different next time around. I wouldn't use that mounting plate on the back but drill my own holes for the leds and accessories. I definitely would put the volume knob and power switch on the front with the aux in and power on the side. I did it this way because the plate was an accessory with the Amp that simplified wiring. After building one now I know that the wiring was simple anyway...it's just a matter of drilling out uour own template for the switches and lights.

If any of you would like to build your own There is a kit on partsnexpress to make this project with a plastic ammo can. You can then add anything else you would need. I didn't use the speakers with the kit but it was just as cheap to buy the kit. If you use a metal can you will also need to get a Bluetooth antenna.

Joelski
2 February 2023, 17:33
Sweet speaker! That gives me an idea for a subwoofer for my recording system!

rxer311
2 February 2023, 18:03
Sweet speaker! That gives me an idea for a subwoofer for my recording system!

Cool man. Let me know if you need any help. I will try to point you in the right direction. FYI, a saw box lined with 3/4" plywood will be around 0.3 cubic ft. That may help with your sub choice.

Also Parts express has been awesome as I am planning another build already.

This time around I am going to do a mono setup with a 6.5" mid driver with a titanium dome tweeter crossed over at 3-4000 hz. The speakers are so close on the 4" speakers that you really can't tell the stereo separation anyway. I think having a single 6" driver will make bass response even better.

Don't get me wrong, those 4" JLs really do sing and sound really good. Using coaxials simplify the build though.

rxer311
3 February 2023, 09:48
So I posted this build on facebook and a bunch of people are now contacting me wanting me to build one for them....so my wife might be right. I might do this as a side hustle.

If I would do this what should I call this? I was thinking "The !BOOM! Box" ???

Uffdaphil
3 February 2023, 11:02
I like can rather than box. No !!!’s military-like stenciling in flat or matte yellow.

Boom Can
Can O’ Boom
Canned Boom
Surplus Boom
Battle Boom
Combat Boom
Bravo Boom

rxer311
3 February 2023, 13:45
Uffdaphil...I am really liking the Can O' Boom.

I think you have obtained the naming rights LOL

rxer311
3 February 2023, 13:46
Surplus Boom has a nice ring as well.

Uffdaphil
3 February 2023, 15:01
Thanks. That rig is inspiring. If you do go into production be sure to save one for me to purchase. I gave all my Bluetooth speakers to my nieces so need one they only get after I’m gone.

rxer311
3 February 2023, 15:36
Sent you a message

rxer311
4 February 2023, 12:51
Since I had interest in these I started a facebook page. I am not trying to hawk my wares here, but since I respect the opinion of everybody here, can you take a look at the facebook page I created for this and let me know what you think? If you want to share it, please do. Thank you. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090003762820

Stone
4 February 2023, 13:16
Lookin good! The only thing its missing is a rattle can camo paint job on the outside of the ammo can! Website looks good as well...

Uffdaphil
4 February 2023, 13:27
Nice page. I think customers would welcome a gallery of different builds as you finish them. Maybe post an instruction sheet or video telling what each switch/jack is for, how to pair with mp3 player, what type of batteries (rechargeable?), etc. A sound video of the Battle Can in action would add some sizzle.

Stone
4 February 2023, 17:02
" I am not trying to hawk my wares here" Dont sweat it, forums are for learning and bouncing ideas off of eachother. I am doing research on some things and am fixing to launch a product of my own soon. Nothing firearm related...

rxer311
4 February 2023, 18:28
Thanks for the input guys.

Stone...maybe I will add paint jobs to the build sheet.

I could use duracoat on the outside for a nice finish and charge a premium.

I would also appreciate it if you liked and shared the site. Trying to get the name out there.

Uffdaphil...I might actually take pictures of your build so people understand what goes into building one and I think I will do a quick video about the operation and controls.

Eric
4 February 2023, 19:19
I would avoid any manufacturer or vendor logos on versions for sale, unless used with permission.

Stone
5 February 2023, 11:38
Good point Eric. It would be wise to trademark the name of the product and name of your company. Its cheap and will keep you from getting any cease and desist letters in the future... Also setting up an LLC will protect your personal property from litigation since everything under the LLC is its own entity. Be careful not to get your cart to far out ahead of your horse.

rxer311
5 February 2023, 13:14
I would avoid any manufacturer or vendor logos on versions for sale, unless used with permission.

Good call. I should probably make a disclaimer that any stickers seen are not an endorsement from that manufacturer.

Joelski
6 February 2023, 03:51
Nice work! Maybe consider cleaning up the adhesive and adding cable wraps for a finished look.

FortTom
14 February 2023, 21:59
Sharp as hell![:D]

rxer311
17 February 2023, 13:34
I got a logo stencil made up for me. It was cut on a Mil Issue stencil cutter so the lettering would be the same as any stenciling that might already be on the cans.

https://i.imgur.com/E8buUTm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VyDf64Y.jpg

Uffdaphil
17 February 2023, 14:11
I can testify this beast looks and sounds great. So far I have played old Hopalong Cassidy radio shows from a MP3 micro disk and CD-R music a co-worker recorded for me 20+ years ago. Louder than I can stand indoors remains undistorted. Mounted the antenna downwards to reduce snagability.

rxer311
17 February 2023, 17:36
I love how your ammo can had stenciling on it. I really like how it turned out. Looks super retro.

rxer311
17 February 2023, 17:42
I put a lot of love into that build. I really wanted it to be perfect for you.

Uffdaphil
17 February 2023, 18:39
I think the last time I was this happy with something new was when I first swapped a mil-spec trigger for a G SSA-E.